PDA

View Full Version : wats a good 250cc beginner bike????

noobie
20th February 2004, 02:01
i dont noe shit bout bikes but want to get into dem. wats a good bike to start riding.... am only 160cm tall so a small bike...
hahhaha
:scooter:

wari
20th February 2004, 02:17
i dont noe shit bout bikes but want to get into dem. wats a good bike to start riding.... am only 160cm tall so a small bike...
hahhaha

any of the japper 250's are pretty good ... just get one that you like the look of and "fits" your 160 cm frame. You've got plenty of bike shops in Melbourne on Vic street? if I remember right (probably not :moon: ), so go for a walk and try some on for size.

moko
20th February 2004, 07:10
Honda CB250,low,very easy to ride,i.e. no power-band(no power some might say but it`ll be plenty for a beginner),very cheap to run and insure,will take plenty of abuse.Or pretty much any of the 250 Cruisers will do you if you`re not very tall,Virago,Dragstar,Rebel,Nighthawk,they`ll all do the job.

Dave
20th February 2004, 08:10
Honda CB250,low,very easy to ride,i.e. no power-band(no power some might say but it`ll be plenty for a beginner),very cheap to run and insure,will take plenty of abuse.Or pretty much any of the 250 Cruisers will do you if you`re not very tall,Virago,Dragstar,Rebel,Nighthawk,they`ll all do the job.

Good call.

marty
20th February 2004, 08:20
suzy gz250 is excellent for the shorter ones amongst us. or talk to celtic about her cbr - it seems to go pretty well!!!!

i was in melbourne a few weeks ago and here's a shot from bike alley - if you can't find a bike here then you can't be pleased.....

marty
20th February 2004, 08:26
or there's always an RS250......

Ms Piggy
20th February 2004, 08:58

Hey Noobie,
I've only been riding for a couple of months and I have a Honda CB250RS and it's great! Not very speedy but while I was on my road trip I got her up to 125kms one part of it, she also handles really well in the wind. I think if a little bike can all the way from Wellington to Hamilton and back again, and use no oil, it's brillant.

I bought mine off my flatmate, so I guess if you have anyone who owns a bike already ask them about it.

Good luck - once you start riding you'll never wanna get off your bike! :2thumbsup

james
21st February 2004, 11:59
hahhaha

hey mate welcome great site,havent been a member long myself.
not that this is going to be much help to you,but the best 250 to buy is one with to wheels a engine oh and brakes lol have fun :ride: :ride: :ride:

Hitcher
21st February 2004, 13:21
You sound about a similar height to Mrs H who did her "250 time" on a Kawasaki EL250 Eliminator. A fantastically reliable bike that performs suberbly! A real gas miser too. In-line twin, liquid cooled, electric leg, six-speed box, front disc rear drum. OK, it's a cruiser but vertically-challenged riders don't have many options... If you shop around you'll find some real gems of this model bike.

moko
21st February 2004, 15:59
Hey Noobie,
I've only been riding for a couple of months and I have a Honda CB250RS and it's great! Not very speedy but while I was on my road trip I got her up to 125kms one part of it, she also handles really well in the wind. I think if a little bike can all the way from Wellington to Hamilton and back again, and use no oil, it's brillant.

CB250RS is a great little bike,they were massively popular in the U.K. with everyone from learners to dispatch riders for city work.Only problem was the top-end lubrication wasn`t the best,think Honda ran the camshaft directly in the head and eventually it wrecked the head,I`ve heard of bearing conversions though.dont worry about it,mild use and frequent oil-changes should do you o.k.,loads got thrashed because the handling is ace.We also got the CBX250 which had a 4-valve head and was a brilliant bike but Honda priced it way too high.I think they still do a modern version of the CBX but not sold here.

Hitcher
22nd February 2004, 15:37
CB250RS is a great little bike,they were massively popular in the U.K. with everyone from learners to dispatch riders for city work.Only problem was the top-end lubrication wasn`t the best,think Honda ran the camshaft directly in the head and eventually it wrecked the head,I`ve heard of bearing conversions though.dont worry about it,mild use and frequent oil-changes should do you o.k.,loads got thrashed because the handling is ace.We also got the CBX250 which had a 4-valve head and was a brilliant bike but Honda priced it way too high.I think they still do a modern version of the CBX but not sold here.

Honda tend to do that with 250s. Their current VTR250 is a cracker but a funny (peculiar) package because it has no tach!! Go figure... It's expensive too. The 250 Spada is a great bike. They never sold here new because you could buy a 650 for the same money. But the grey importers seem to bring in some outstandingly tidy versions. They're a bit small for us bigger fellas, but they're shit hot fun to tool around on. A good introduction to the "V-twin experience" (said the inline four fanatic).

Indiana_Jones
12th March 2004, 23:43
or there's always an RS250......

Or a FXR150 :msn-wink:

Aaaaaaaaaaaay

-Indy

pete376403
13th March 2004, 22:57
Zillions of people have started on Suzuki GN250s. My daughters first rides were on one of those, and within about 5 minutes of starting off she was doing feet up U turns (in an otherwise empty parking lot). She is (ahem) not tall.