PDA

View Full Version : 2004 CLASSIC & POST CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE GRAND PRIX

duke
20th February 2004, 05:13
:ride: The National Grand Prix title races come to Pukekohe for the first time on Saturday 24th April 2004 and there will be some fantatstic racing for sure. This is the race meeting of the year for Post Classic machines. Here's the entry form, close-off date is 27th March. See you there :)
duke

SPman
23rd April 2004, 09:46
See you there :)
duke
See ya there...from some flag point or other.
No more oil spills please. :)

What?
23rd April 2004, 20:17
I'll be there. Would have been on my CB1100, except some clod with an impact driver broke the tacho drive gear housing whilst trying to undo the cable retaining bolt. Worst is, the gear drive housing is part of a cam bearing cap... :doh: Yes, the shop is fixing it FOC, but it's still a bit of a pisser.

SPman
24th April 2004, 19:48
A quiet day with some good racing, particularly in the pre 82's.The under 600's were racing so intensly, most ignored the yellow flag and carried on racing while we tried to clear a bike off the track! :Oi:

Some interesting machinery there, including The Viko Special, which I think was Roger Freeths bike, with wings! .A TZ750? Only did some demo laps unfortunately.
Pix 1 Phil (Duke) 2 TZTony (I think), 3,4 Viko Special 5 Egli Vincent 6 A nice Ducati 900SS

tz tony
24th April 2004, 20:52
Yep thats me in photo 2, going slowly round castrol, I did see you there just didnt know who you were!nice pic too

Motu
25th April 2004, 10:28
It was a good day alright,I met Lynda and saw your bike SPman,but I left after the 2nd round of races.In the 12 lapper Eric Bone's H2 lost a cyl - a CDI trigger damaged in the Paeroa prang he thinks,but continued to cruise around anyway to get a place in his class.John Sluce was going well,in the 12 lapper he came 2nd,beating Ginger Molloy - both bikes were missing,but to beat Molloy on a bike only twice as big is not too bad.His front tyre worries me - an Avon Speedmaster MkII ! but it's race compound so sticks well.

What?
25th April 2004, 19:39
... The Viko Special, which I think was Roger Freeths bike, with wings! .A TZ750?
TZ700 I believe. Yes, it was Roger Freeths ride once, as was the beautifully restored McIntosh Suzuki (No 2).

Talked to a guy from the shore who just made Buy Of The Year - one very straight and original CB400/4 for $1400. Seems the market in Kerikeri is quite small and the vendor had bother selling. Shit, the header pipes alone are probably worth the price - some guys have all the luck...

SPman
26th April 2004, 11:13
TZ700 I believe. Yes, it was Roger Freeths ride once, as was the beautifully restored McIntosh Suzuki (No 2). Dave Morleys - pix appended

Talked to a guy from the shore who just made Buy Of The Year - one very straight and original CB400/4 for $1400. Seems the market in Kerikeri is quite small and the vendor had bother selling. Shit, the header pipes alone are probably worth the price - some guys have all the luck... Luck seems to be it. A mate in Waitara was at the NP tip when a guy pulled up and started to pull out bits of bike. Turns out he had his restoration project CB750 K2, which he was dumping after a marriage break up.$2500 worth of brand new parts plus a reasonable bike. Gave him what he had in his wallet for it - $78 I think!! (to go with his 45 other old Honda projects at the time)

duke
27th April 2004, 20:23
nice pictures SPMAN, thanks for your help on Saturday, It's got to have been one of the best race meetings I've ever entered, either here or in the UK. Good grids, great racing, fantastic weather and well organised. Roll on GP2005.

Duke

duke
27th April 2004, 20:24
............and a Ducati won the main event !!!

FROSTY
13th May 2004, 03:15
say does anyone know what the story is with this 80s racing class?

What?
13th May 2004, 20:11
say does anyone know what the story is with this 80s racing class?
Depends what you want to know. I can tell you that Malcolm at Econohonda is involved in post-classic racing. try talking to him at ecohonda@ihug.co.nz

duke
14th May 2004, 06:14
The main classes are for pre-Decemebr 1982 bikes. Eligibility rules are in the MNZ manual and NZ titles are awarded in 3 capacity classes, Lightweight (less than 240cc,) Junior (241-600cc,) and Senior (601-1300cc). There is a Pre-1989 class developing but nothing in the rule book yet and no capacity divisions. The most popular class is pre '82 Junior. To get a wad of newsletters, the rule book and more information suggest you join the NZPCRA (nzpcra@hotmail.com). Hope this helps.

duke