PDA

View Full Version : How do you mark forums read.

TwoSeven
8th November 2005, 13:20
When I click on New Posts, the number of new posts has been growing and growing since the upgrade. Its now up to 20 pages long.

Also, about half way down the 1st page there is a message saying the following threads are old, but contain posts you havn't read.

I dont want to have to wade thru pages of spam, just want to see the last new posts made since last time I visited. If I dont read them its bacause I am not interested in them so dont want to see them next time I visit.

Most sites have a 'mark threads read' link at the top - but I cant find the same feature here.

Sniper
8th November 2005, 13:22
I have the same problem.

SpankMe
8th November 2005, 13:24
It's at the bottom of the forums page.

Colapop
8th November 2005, 13:30
I have a different problem, is it ok to post in this thread?
I don't seem to have all threads displayed. As an example I posted Pitcha Takin', then checked on new posts and it wa'sn't there? I've noticed also that a couple of times threads that I'm following are not displayed in much the same way. Is this because someone is editing them?

TwoSeven
8th November 2005, 13:48
It's at the bottom of the forums page.

Could you explain where ?

I have the pages, forum jump, some links and the time on the right side, just the look n feel option on the left.

Edit: It now says there are 499 pages to view.

Keystone19
8th November 2005, 13:52

I have the pages, forum jump, some links and the time on the right side, just the look n feel option on the left.

Edit: It now says there are 499 pages to view.

I just did what Spank me suggested on teh bottom of the forums page (mark threads read or something) and it has refreshed my new posts page but will not now show me new posts only new threads.

I'm confused...

SpankMe
8th November 2005, 13:54
I don't seem to have all threads displayed.

It appears that once you have read a thread, it will no longer appear in the new posts.

Bottom of the forums (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/index.php) page next to forum leaders link.

Keystone19
8th November 2005, 13:55
Ok, now it is showing new posts but not the new posts that I make!

SpankMe
8th November 2005, 13:57
Thats because you have read it. New posts only displays posts you haven't read. Every one else will see it.

Sniper
8th November 2005, 14:02
Got it, thanks

Colapop
8th November 2005, 15:15
Thats because you have read it. New posts only displays posts you haven't read. Every one else will see it.
Now I have to go and find threads that I've read or posted in? Or when someone posts a new comment will that post become a new post again for me?

Education required for Dumass

TwoSeven
8th November 2005, 16:05
It appears that once you have read a thread, it will no longer appear in the new posts.

Bottom of the forums (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/index.php) page next to forum leaders link.

Ok found it - the only part of the forum I never go to :)

Dont suppose you could perhaps move it say, under the 'private messages' link top right corner, so its visible all the time (or something like that) :)

The reason why I ask, is that I just click 'new posts' on the main home page. To get back to the forums page, I have to click, home, then forums. Which is a bit overkill on the usability front just to mark all the forums read.

SpankMe
8th November 2005, 16:51
To get back to the forums page, I have to click, home, then forums. Which is a bit overkill on the usability front just to mark all the forums read.

Or you could just click the Kiwi Biker forums link at the top of the page.

Sketchy_Racer
8th November 2005, 17:39
i have a little prob to- i used to be able to sign in and all the threads with new posts would be in bold- but now all the threads are bold- even the ones from last time i signed in are bold - :argh:

SpankMe
8th November 2005, 17:48
All threads will stay bold untill they are read, all threads are marked read, or 14 days pass.

crashe
8th November 2005, 17:53
SpankMe,
I posted in a thread and it didnt go up to "New Posts" section....
Why is that?
Since I posted surely it should go up into the new posts... as it is now a new post.

HDTboy
8th November 2005, 18:01
Are you able to put a "mark as read" button at the bottom of the new posts page?

Posh Tourer :P
9th November 2005, 22:42
true... I dont want to read every thread, and I dont really like having to guess which threads I have already decided not to look at. Is there an option for automatically marking all threads as read after clicking on new posts, as they were in the last version?

I have found the mark as read button, but that also means I have to go to the forums page, rather than doing it from the new posts page.....

I do like the new edit feature though..... Much faster :)

Posh Tourer :P
9th November 2005, 23:00
All threads will stay bold untill they are read, all threads are marked read, or 14 days pass.

Useful, but would be good to differentiate between posts since last visit, and unread posts.....

Waylander
9th November 2005, 23:00
Having the same problem. Well not really a problem but it was just easier to keep track of threads the old way. Also would rather still have all the current posts in my CP even the ones I've read. I do like the new version of the site better than the old with the exception of that thing. Mush easier for Mods to do our jobs now.

Also still trying to figure out the chat thing lol.