PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Volty TU250

John_H
8th November 2005, 17:52
Hi, Just trying to buy my first bike. What do you think of these bikes? How do they compare to the GN250?

Is $2250 a good price to pay for a 96 model with 31,000 kms on it. It will need a reg and warrant. What do reg and warrant cost for a motorbike?

Thanks everyone!

Magua
8th November 2005, 18:08
Hi, Just trying to buy my first bike. What do you think of these bikes? How do they compare to the GN250?

Is $2250 a good price to pay for a 96 model with 31,000 kms on it. It will need a reg and warrant. What do reg and warrant cost for a motorbike?

Thanks everyone!

I think the Tu has the same engine as the gn250.
Warrent is umm $240 for a year I think. Warrant is like $25-30.
Nice looking bike.

heavenly.talker
8th November 2005, 18:52

Thanks everyone!

Hey totally rate the TU Volty. I custom painted mine and sold it for $2k just the other month. It was a 1997 model and had done 77000 k's.

Great bike to learn on and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. Mount Eden also has one for sale if you need another comparison on year and K's etc.

I have attached a photo of the one I sold for you to compare with what you are considering (P.S. the seat is easy to make black).

Happy hunting and let us know how you get on

John_H
8th November 2005, 18:56
Thanks for the reply. Do you think that $2250 might be a little steep for a 96 model? What offer would you make for this bike considering it's got no reg or warrant? How did you make the seat look black it looks sweet!

Paul in NZ
8th November 2005, 19:33
Thanks for the reply. Do you think that $2250 might be a little steep for a 96 model? What offer would you make for this bike considering it's got no reg or warrant? How did you make the seat look black it looks sweet!

Offer him $2,300 on the condition he gets a wof and 3 months rego.. Then you will know if there is a mech problem and / or a big back rego bill to face.

heavenly.talker
9th November 2005, 09:20
Offer him $2,300 on the condition he gets a wof and 3 months rego.. Then you will know if there is a mech problem and / or a big back rego bill to face.

Paul in NZ has the right advice here. Ask them to produce a wof and reg as part of the sale. That way you can be sure that you have some proof of road worthiness. If you are still unsure of its worth pay a bike shop to look it over for you. Knowledge is power!

Black seats are easily achieved by using a vinyl dye (from a spray can), this can be found at Wootons or any such retailer.

Dismantle the seat from the bike, wash with gentle soapy water and let dry. Then do 2-3-4 coats of the dye (don't spray too close to the seat though as this can make it gluggy nor spray the seperate coats too close together...let the paint dry to tacky before reapplying). This product lasts very well and you hould only expect to little spot touch up's every 6 months or so.

After that is all dry (best to leave overnight) reassemble the seat and refit to bike...
voila Much sexier looking seat!

Re: the price of the Volty...do a bike search on bikepoint and trademe.
It will give you an idea of what is selling for what.

www.biketrader has a Volty advertised for $3,500 at present. Compare the one you are interested in with that. Look at condition, K's, year, wear on tyres, etc.

You can expect to pay $800 ish dollars more through a bike shop (that is all they make on the low end second hand stuff (depending on the trade they struck with the owner). This comes with the security that if something goes wrong you have recourse.

Private sales should therefore be lower priced than the bike shop.

The Volty does have the same engine as a gn250 (this is also the same engine in the gz250).

So performance wise they are much of a muchness...however, in my opinion they are a classier bike and seem to hold their resale value better. Others might disagree with me on this point.

Remember you can always talk your seller down with the old...but you can get a brand new gn for under $3k these days...which is true!

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.
Cheers

John_H
12th November 2005, 16:19
Great got my first bike! The deal was:

1996 Suzuki Volty TU250, 31,000 kms. Needs warrant and reg. Got it down to $2000 with a helmet and jacket both only 6 months old. Had a mechanic look it over who said it was sound, may need to get some brake pads for it's warrant but that was about it. I will post some pics as soon as I get them. Thanks very much for all the advice, it was really useful! Just got to do that basic handling next weekend now!

Cheers
John

:2thumbsup

John_H
12th November 2005, 19:46
Hi,

Just wondered what I should clean the wheels with? They are the wire spoke wheels amd they need some attention.

Cheers
John

Magua
12th November 2005, 19:51
Hi,

Just wondered what I should clean the wheels with? They are the wire spoke wheels amd they need some attention.

Cheers
John

Send "crashe" a pm, her bike is one big piece of chrome.

Make sure you dry down any chrome after it gets wet otherwise it starts to rust rather fast.

heavenly.talker
13th November 2005, 15:41
Great got my first bike!

Congrats John :-)

Wahoo!!!!

:banana: :banana: :spudbn:BLING FOR BUYING A VOLTY