PDA

View Full Version : My new bike #2

matthewt
20th February 2004, 15:25
Well following Duckman's lead (can he still call himself Duckman now ??) I traded my italian scooter.

Seems I like MV Agusta's WAY to much as I traded my 2001 model F4 on a new 2004 model Brutale. The Brutale is the MV's entry into the "Naked" bike world.

Haven't had much time to ride it yet and with the crap weather in the lower North Island I'm hoping I'll actually get out on it this weekend.

I'll post some pictures up tonight hopefully once I get home.

Motoracer
20th February 2004, 15:29
Congrats Matt! :niceone:

May I ask what made you decide to go from dressed up to nude?

White trash
20th February 2004, 15:31
Bloody good show, Matthew.

Can't wait to see it in the "flesh" so to speak.

duckman
20th February 2004, 15:37
Well following Duckman's lead (can he still call himself Duckman now ??) I traded my italian scooter.

Seems I like MV Agusta's WAY to much as I traded my 2001 model F4 on a new 2004 model Brutale. The Brutale is the MV's entry into the "Naked" bike world.

Haven't had much time to ride it yet and with the crap weather in the lower North Island I'm hoping I'll actually get out on it this weekend.

I'll post some pictures up tonight hopefully once I get home.
Oh my God what have I started ??

O.k. everyone, time to get new bikes... aaaaaand GO!!! :niceone:

Motoracer
20th February 2004, 15:39
O.k. everyone, time to get new bikes... aaaaaand GO!!! :niceone:

No worries, just gotta win that lotto tomorrow

Solarwind
20th February 2004, 15:41
Congrats Matt! :niceone:

Bikes are like people, you know? :love:

duckman
20th February 2004, 15:42
No worries, just gotta win that lotto tomorrow

No no no - we can't BOTH win. !! :laugh:

matthewt
20th February 2004, 15:44

I've been a Ducati fan since I can remember. I got the MV F4 in 2001 when I was actually looking for a Ducati sports bike but didn't buy one because I knew they would release new models the next year (ie, 999 and 749) so thought the MV F4 would be the go until I knew what the new range of Duc's were like. Glad I got the MV because I'm not that fussed on the 999 shape.

Soooooo, I decided most of my riding is touring or commuting and therefore the Brutale would be better at it than the F4. I did 36,000k's on the F4 and some of those k's were pretty hard work. With the Brutale I get 90% of the F4's running gear with a easier position. Keep in mind the F4 had an extreme riding position even for a sports bike.

jrandom
20th February 2004, 15:45
Seems I like MV Agusta's WAY to much as I traded my 2001 model F4 on a new 2004 model Brutale.

Red and black, or solid black? Please say you got the solid black.

Had a sit on a Brutale at Colemans a couple of weeks ago. Has been official Dream Bike since.

You'd have to be one of the first guys in NZ to actually buy one, no? What made you change? I have to say, the Brutale had ergonomics I could imagine living with on daily commutes very happily, as opposed to the F4's origami-rider thing. [edit: well, there y'go, see your post above...]

Gawd, I'm so jealous.

matthewt
20th February 2004, 15:50
Red and black, or solid black? Please say you got the solid black.

Red sorry, I'm a traditionalist. MV's should be red, so should Ducatis and Ferraris. They had a black in stock at Motomart but the red took my fancy.

as opposed to the F4's origami-rider thing

That is probably the best description of the F4's riding position I've heard. I still remember the expression on mangells face when he first rode it. The look of surprise when he realised where the handlebars are was priceless !!

jrandom
20th February 2004, 16:04
probably the best description of the F4's riding position I've heard

Yes, the phrase popped ready-formed into my mind some time ago when I sat on the demo model.

Maybe I could be a bike journo.

LB
20th February 2004, 17:34
And boy, is she beautiful. Congratulations Matt, you have one lovely bike there. Catch you on a ride some time soon hopefully.

BugSplat
20th February 2004, 18:00
:2thumbsup Great news !, catch u on the hill road.

(one of the shorter Sabbaticals I've seen :msn-wink: )

James Deuce
20th February 2004, 18:09
Was that you I saw riding home tonight??

You pulled up next to the FIAT (lane splitting at the lights) at the Korokoro turn off if it was!

Sounds gorgeous!

Looks wonderful!! An probably a good deal more comfortable than the F4.

Jim2

matthewt
20th February 2004, 19:42
(one of the shorter Sabbaticals I've seen :msn-wink: )

Yer that's what my wife thought ;)

matthewt
20th February 2004, 19:46
Was that you I saw riding home tonight??

You pulled up next to the FIAT (lane splitting at the lights) at the Korokoro turn off if it was!

Sounds gorgeous!

Looks wonderful!! An probably a good deal more comfortable than the F4.

Jim2

Yup, I pulled up at the red there (only 2nd time on the bike). Still running it in so must keep it below 7000rpm. "a good deal more comfortable" would be a slight understatement !!

I have to remember to drop my elbows more since the handlebars are above the headlight rather then below it !!

James Deuce
20th February 2004, 19:49
Damn! I knew I hould have said something!

Mind you, given that I was cage bound, you probably would have given me the evil eye.

it's amazing how the exhaust note changes as the revs rise. It has a basso profundo idle that turns into an alto wail fairly quickly. Can't wait to hear it full noise when it's run in. :)

Good on you for spending money wisely!! :niceone:

matthewt
20th February 2004, 19:53
Mind you, given that I was cage bound, you probably would have given me the evil eye.

it's amazing how the exhaust note changes as the revs rise. It has a basso profundo idle that turns into an alto wail fairly quickly. Can't wait to hear it full noise when it's run in. :)

Good on you for spending money wisely!! :niceone:

Nah I would've spoken to you, even in the cage. Not sure if I know what "a basso profundo idle that turns into an alto wail" means but I do know I can't wait until I can nail it to 13,000rpm !!

Can't say I really spent the money wisely, I put my heart in front of my head. Decided I only live once and why the f**k not.

mangell6
20th February 2004, 19:53
The look of surprise when he realised where the handlebars are was priceless !!

Yeah, I went from riding the FZ1 sit upright to an origami position and then you realise that there is no front to the bike :eek:

Still it is an awesome bike and I only have one question for Matthewt . . . .

When have you booked it in to NEPTUNE to have the exhaust system replaced??????? :spudwhat:

James Deuce
20th February 2004, 19:56
Nah I would've spoken to you, even in the cage. Not sure if I know what "a basso profundo idle that turns into an alto wail" means but I do know I can't wait until I can nail it to 13,000rpm !!

Can't say I really spent the money wisely, I put my heart in front of my head. Decided I only live once and why the f**k not.

It makes a grumbly noise then goes waaaaahh.

"Why the f**k not." is a good philosophy !! Most people would do well to live by it!

matthewt
20th February 2004, 19:58
When have you booked it in to NEPTUNE to have the exhaust system replaced??????? :spudwhat:

Hmm, strange thing is I don't have the desire to modify it like I do with sports bikes. The exhaust is a lot better than the F4 was stock so I'll probably leave it.

SPman
20th February 2004, 20:00
No no no - we can't BOTH win. !! :laugh:
' Course not!......coz I'M gonna win!......:ride:

matthewt
20th February 2004, 20:03
Here's the only photo I have so far.

http://www.nitor.co.nz/family/sml02185.jpg

wkid_one
20th February 2004, 20:16
Awwwww - its not the full carbon fibre trick jobby,

Still nice looking tho

mangell6
20th February 2004, 20:17
Are you going to get the 'suicide side stand' as a momento?? :lol:

What about this photo "http://www.mvagusta.com/2003mvagusta/images/f4brutale/brutale_stratared2_1024.jpg"

Zed
20th February 2004, 20:17
Here's the only photo I have so far.

http://www.nitor.co.nz/family/sml02185.jpg
Looks stunning Matthew, congrats.

What engine size, bhp, etc has this machine got?

Zed

wkid_one
20th February 2004, 20:24
How much is this puppy in NZD?

I think the Brutale beats the Tuono for looks hands down - what was the riders impressions of these two bikes? (Hasn't the real fruity Tuono got a $60k price tag in NZ)

riffer
20th February 2004, 20:25
It's quite beautiful.

And thank goodness its got the chain on the proper side too...

Hope to see you soon riding it the way it was meant to be.

Congratulations

matthewt
20th February 2004, 20:39
Awwwww - its not the full carbon fibre trick jobby,

Still nice looking tho

yer, I couldn't quite find the extra $20k for a bit of carbon and magnesium. There is one in ChCh however (same guy owns a MV senna). Apparently one of the bike mags took the Senna and Brutale Oro out for a ride and will do a write-up soon.

matthewt
20th February 2004, 20:40
Looks stunning Matthew, congrats.

What engine size, bhp, etc has this machine got?

Zed

www.mvagusta.it says it all. The 04 model has more go the the pre 02 models.

wkid_one
20th February 2004, 20:42
yer, I couldn't quite find the extra $20k for a bit of carbon and magnesium. There is one in ChCh however (same guy owns a MV senna). Apparently one of the bike mags took the Senna and Brutale Oro out for a ride and will do a write-up soon.
I agree - waste of money for bits that add feck all but looks.

How does the Brutale compare to the Tuono - never read any reviews comparing them??

matthewt
20th February 2004, 20:44
How much is this puppy in NZD?

I think the Brutale beats the Tuono for looks hands down - what was the riders impressions of these two bikes? (Hasn't the real fruity Tuono got a $60k price tag in NZ)

The Brutale Oro was $55k from memory. Only one came into NZ.

The fruity Tuono is actually good buying at $32k given all the carbon and Ohlins it's got. But I could never buy one until they get rid of the super-ugly instrument dash. In the 04 models they have finally done just that. The Aprillias are really good value (for Italian bikes anyway).

matthewt
20th February 2004, 20:49
I agree - waste of money for bits that add feck all but looks.

How does the Brutale compare to the Tuono - never read any reviews comparing them??

The manual mentions a weight difference of about 8kg between the two model so you're mainly paying for the badge that says which of the 300 Oro's you got. Having said that the Brutale Oro I saw at Motomart looked pretty freakin good and if I could afford one I'd buy it in a flash. The original F4 Oro's have been an amazing investment for anyone keen enough to get one when they first came out.

I think one of the US mags did a comparison of the main naked bikes, they didn't like the Brutale much but I think the US models suffer from too much interference to make them legal in California (prior to 04 the Mv's weren't allowed into CA as they didn't conform to some regulation).

matthewt
20th February 2004, 20:52
Are you going to get the 'suicide side stand' as a momento?? :lol:

Yer, maybe I could see if the stand from my F4 can be hacked onto the Brutale. Then I just park it outside McDonalds in Petone and wait for the little sh*t to drop this one as well :ar15:

Zed
20th February 2004, 21:00
www.mvagusta.it (http://www.mvagusta.it/) says it all. The 04 model has more go the the pre 02 models.
That's an impressive website, one of the best I've seen.

Looks like you have enuf power for 1 person there! :yes:

Zed

mangell6
20th February 2004, 22:45
Matthewt - Just been reading the spec sheet and I see that the bike top speed is electronically limited to 155.3 at 13100.

mangell6
20th February 2004, 22:46
That is 155.3mph :) :)

matthewt
21st February 2004, 07:02
Matthewt - Just been reading the spec sheet and I see that the bike top speed is electronically limited to 155.3 at 13100.

Hmmm, 250kph on a naked bike. Just might not be as much fun as it sounds. I shouldn't think it'll be a problem ;)

Although by now I'm sure someone is studying the electrical diagram to suss out how to kill it.

matthewt
6th March 2004, 01:25
I've finally got around to posting some photo's of the Brutale. The gold oil plug replaced the stock black one and was a gift from a MV owner in Germany (damm nice guy).

Also got around to putting my plate on it, amazing what you can do with a day off!!

www.nitor.co.nz/family/brutale/index.html

Zed
6th March 2004, 06:31
I've finally got around to posting some photo's of the Brutale. The gold oil plug replaced the stock black one and was a gift from a MV owner in Germany (damm nice guy).

Also got around to putting my plate on it, amazing what you can do with a day off!!

www.nitor.co.nz/family/brutale/index.html (http://www.nitor.co.nz/family/brutale/index.html)
I see you have lots of toys in your garage mathu!!

Coldkiwi
6th March 2004, 23:37
but I do know I can't wait until I can nail it to 13,000rpm !!

All the more reason not to wait Matt! ride it like you stole it :) you'll feel better for it. Read that mototune article and you can justify it to yourself too :yes:

matthewt
7th March 2004, 00:07
All the more reason not to wait Matt! ride it like you stole it :) you'll feel better for it. Read that mototune article and you can justify it to yourself too :yes:

I had thought about that actually. But it would be just my luck to blow the motor and then have MV say tough luck on the warrenty coz I didn't follow the run-in guide. If a clutch lever costs over $200 then I shudder to think what a new motor would be worth !!