PDA

View Full Version : looking to get back on a bike

stmdvr
8th November 2005, 21:29
Hi All,

Must be time to introduce myself, I've been lurking on here for a few months now. Anyway the name is Jeffrey and I'm looking to get back on a bike after about 10 years of not riding, you how how it goes, work, family etc so you end up getting a cage, now none of that will get in the way anymore so give me a bike! I've had a few bikes over the years, started with a Suzuki Rv75 van van which I got the basics on, then moved up (?) to a very second hand Yamaha SR250. That bike was so stuff it wouldn't pull 60K/hm in a good Southland head wind! :doh: Then the best thing I have done was to buy a brand new Suzuki GF250 :2thumbsup I loved that bike and traveled all over the South island with it, anyway that got traded (after 80,000km) on a 89 Honda CBR400RR.

So that brings me to the here and now, I'm saving hard and looking to get a VFR400 (NC30) because even after 15 odd years they are still a nice looking bike and more importantly have a low seat height ( yes I'm a short ass! :weep: ). back in August I was in CHCH ( I live in Greymouth) and went into Sportzone Suzuki and got talking to one of the sales man about importing a bike from Japan. The sales man said that Sportzone could handle it all, from finding a bike to getting it to the wof & reg stage, or anything in between, so the question is has anyone here 1) imported a bike 2) or have used Sportzone to bring in a bike? I've been looking in the archives but having found out much so far, which is why I'm asking.

Anyway if you are wondering about my handle, stmdvr, it stands for STeam DiVeR, I'm a bit of a steam train fan.......

Regards
Jeffrey

Groins_NZ
8th November 2005, 21:43
Hello Mr. Train Diver (Driver?). No idea about importing bikes but welcome to KB.

parsley
8th November 2005, 21:48
I'm looking to get back on a bike after about 10 years of not riding
Just done the same myself and I'm loving it! :banana: Wish I'd done it years ago now, but better late than never. Welcome to the site.

stmdvr
8th November 2005, 21:57
Hello Mr. Train Diver (Driver?). No idea about importing bikes but welcome to KB.

Don't you just hate it when you miss a letter and after proof reading it many times... :doh:

Jeffrey

SDU
9th November 2005, 13:07
welcome to the site Jeffrey:spudwave:

It always pays to shop around for the bike you want. I would check to see how much some of the other importers can get the bike you want in for. There are a few in CHCH. Do a search of the dealers/importers.
Happy Hunting
SDU

Ps I know how hard it can be to find a bike that you like that is built for short asses! but don't forget that some can be lowered to suit.

Unit
9th November 2005, 20:20
Welcome to KB. I too took a seven year gap, mainly due to my partner hating those death traps. The partners gone, and, after a back operation when I thought I wouldnt walk again, I went out and bought my beloved Ducati. Had it six months now and love being back into biking. :yes:

DemonWolf
9th November 2005, 20:28
Gidday StmDvr... welcome to KB =)

I'm sure there are a few people on here that know athing or two about importing a bike.. unfortunately.. I wouldn't have a clue =)