PDA

View Full Version : uk licsence in NZ

wil
9th November 2005, 06:56
Hi guys, will i need to take my test again on bike and car for nz??

Lou Girardin
9th November 2005, 07:21
If memory serves me, just theory tests.

old farts
9th November 2005, 07:26
Hi Wil i think you can ride / drive on a uk licence for up to a year

MisterD
9th November 2005, 07:36
S'right, you can ride for 12 months on your uk licence then you have to do a "scratch and win" theory test. Takes about five minutes for the test and 25 for the form filling/eye testing/photo taking.

The bugger is you might have to do it twice (once for car, once for bike), I only had my UK car licence when I came over so I can't confirm on that score..it's $84 a pop BTW, but the road code book has all the questions you might see on the test so it's a piece of P.

Cheers

leenok
9th November 2005, 09:22
S'right, you can ride for 12 months on your uk licence then you have to do a "scratch and win" theory test. Takes about five minutes for the test and 25 for the form filling/eye testing/photo taking.

The bugger is you might have to do it twice (once for car, once for bike), I only had my UK car licence when I came over so I can't confirm on that score..it's $84 a pop BTW, but the road code book has all the questions you might see on the test so it's a piece of P.

Cheers

You will need to do it twice but the bike one is cheaper, I think I payed $134 for both.

This is dependant on how long you've had your UK license for as well.

If you've had it for more than 2 years then it's just a theory test before your year is up. If less than two years you have to do the practical as well.

Oh, and you have to do each test for every license category you wish to use over here. Means I have to do car theory, bike theory, and bike practical. Pain in the ass.

wil
9th November 2005, 10:39
not so bad then, had the car licence 19 years and the bike 7.

Biff
9th November 2005, 11:12
There is a nuance in the law - and it caught me out. You must sit your test(s) within 12 months of first arriving in NZ. The clock starts ticking the minute you first arrive in NZ, even if it's for an interview, after which you go home, and don't move here 'proper' until 6 months later. The good news is that not many cops know this law either, and if they did they'd have to check your passport for the first date of entry. The clock resets should you leave NZ and not return within a 1 months period. Confused?

pyrocam
9th November 2005, 12:54
There is a nuance in the law - and it caught me out. You must sit your test(s) within 12 months of first arriving in NZ. The clock starts ticking the minute you first arrive in NZ, even if it's for an interview, after which you go home, and don't move here 'proper' until 6 months later. The good news is that not many cops know this law either, and if they did they'd have to check your passport for the first date of entry. The clock resets should you leave NZ and not return within a 1 months period. Confused?
1 month? I dont think thats right, as far as im aware you were right the first time. us insurace claim decliners would say your license is invalid if you came here for a holiday 2 years ago and then came back

Biff
9th November 2005, 13:57
1 month? I dont think thats right, as far as im aware you were right the first time. us insurace claim decliners would say your license is invalid if you came here for a holiday 2 years ago and then came back

Apologies, that's a typo. It should read 12 months. I was told this by the LTSA, the third time I rang them. The previous couple of times they didn't know the rules themselves. Hence the reason I was (alledgedly) driving around illegaly for several months before Vero put me onto the right track.

pyrocam
9th November 2005, 15:01
Apologies, that's a typo. It should read 12 months. I was told this by the LTSA, the third time I rang them. The previous couple of times they didn't know the rules themselves. Hence the reason I was (alledgedly) driving around illegaly for several months before Vero put me onto the right track.

dont trust those knobs at vero they ... they.... shit well I cant find anything bad about them, which is odd as I worked under them for a while. I would ask who-ever your insured with first as some have different policies. when I was at AA I never used the 12 month thing, I used to shout into the phone 'FROM FIRST DATE OF ENTRY! THERES NO POINT ARGUING! WITH ME IM ALWAYS RIGHT!"

and on that point im calling up my mate to see if that rule has changed....... and no it hasnt. but that might be vero's policy.

edit: wait he just called me back,

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

I do have a current overseas driver licence or international driving permit

If you do have a current overseas driver licence or international driving permit, you can drive using that for a maximum of 12 months from the date you arrive in New Zealand. (You can only drive the types of vehicle covered by your overseas driver licence or international driving permit.)

Each time you visit New Zealand, you can drive for a further 12-month period on a valid overseas licence or international driving permit, as long as you stay for no more than a year at a time.

What happens after one year?

If you are using an overseas licence or an international driving permit, you must convert it to a New Zealand driver licence before one year has passed. (Apply for a conversion early, to make sure you have a new licence before the one year is up.)

Forms to use to apply for an overseas licence conversion are available from Land Transport New Zealand driver licensing agents.

You will have to pass a theory test and, depending on the country you have come from, you may have to pass a practical driving test as well.

boomer
9th November 2005, 17:30
I was here almost 4 years on my International UK licence. Just never got round to changing it over.

Every time i got pulled up and asked how long i'd been in the country i told them a couple of months, which strictly wasn't a lie as i travelled with work overseas regularly and used my last re-entry date as my 'time in the country'. I figured they wouldn't ask to see my passport :blink:

got my licence(s) now though :2thumbsup

Biff
9th November 2005, 21:07
dont trust those knobs at vero they ... they.... shit well I cant find anything bad about them, which is odd as I worked under them for a while. I would ask who-ever your insured with first as some have different policies. when I was at AA I never used the 12 month thing, I used to shout into the phone 'FROM FIRST DATE OF ENTRY! THERES NO POINT ARGUING! WITH ME IM ALWAYS RIGHT!"

and on that point im calling up my mate to see if that rule has changed....... and no it hasnt. but that might be vero's policy.

edit: wait he just called me back,

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

Well I'll be buggered. Vero were indeed full of shite. But they were closer than the LTSA peeps I spoke to. Ta for that.

One thing I wonder is if they can relate the two licenses?

Could take my NZ license early, then if (or when) I get stopped for dangerously driving 30ks over the limit then I could show them my UK license?

SARGE
10th November 2005, 07:00

Could take my NZ license early, then if (or when) I get stopped for dangerously driving 30ks over the limit then I could show them my UK license?

i keep my US license current in case i get done for Road Rage .. once the cops see that, they understand..

not as good as a SA license i hear though...

ScumKiller2
10th November 2005, 09:21

I thought of that, but when you get your NZ licence sorted they link the two together (at least thats what they told me). Might be worth a crack but I'd be concerned about fraud being added to the mix.......

It's fun if you have to do the practical test though. I turned up on a cbr600 for my test and the tester didn't know I'd got my full while overseas. His first words were "well, you've failed then". I kindly explained the circumstances, and glad I didn't get sarcastic and all because he let me off going 80 in a 50 zone because the sign was behind a tree. I noticed he had slowed down behind me so I slowed down too. In the UK thats no excuse....

MisterD
10th November 2005, 10:52
I thought of that, but when you get your NZ licence sorted they link the two together (at least thats what they told me).

They do indeed have some kind of link into the DVLA, when I changed my licence over I put the validity dates of my photocard licence on the form, the lass at VTNZ tapped into her confuser and corrected them to my date of passing my test and whenever it is I'm considered to geriatric to drive.....

Posh Tourer :P
10th November 2005, 23:08
Doesnt work the other way though. My issue date on my UK licence is this year, not 5 years ago....

Also, I had to hand in my NZ licence....

But I can just apply for a replacement card when I get back to NZ....

Divot
11th November 2005, 08:58
Every time i got pulled up and asked how long i'd been in the country i told them a couple of months, which strictly wasn't a lie as i travelled with work overseas regularly and used my last re-entry date as my 'time in the country'. I figured they wouldn't ask to see my passport :blink:

got my licence(s) now though :2thumbsup

All they need to do is a check on your car and find that you have owned it for more that a year. A good indication that you have been here more than a year. Or they can contact immagration from the road side and check your dates of entry.

Hammer
11th November 2005, 13:20
Hi guys, will i need to take my test again on bike and car for nz??

Like everyone says you can use your existing UK one for 12 months from point of initial entry. Before that 12 months you need to apply for a NZ one.

When you apply for your NZ one you must sit the theory test for each category of licence you are after (in your case one for bike and one for car).

In applying for the NZ one you generally do not have to sit the practical test if you can prove you have held your licence for 2 years or more in the UK. If your licence does not have an "Issue Date" you must get them to fax details of how long you have held it. If you can't do this then you must sit the practical tests as well. Trust me I know as I just went through the hassle of it all.

scracha
13th November 2005, 09:28

You're joking right? I came here for 9 months on a working holiday 2 years ago, went back to the UK for a year. As I've been here a month does this mean I've only got 2 months left to sit the theory test?

Gah!

wil
13th November 2005, 11:02
You're joking right? I came here for 9 months on a working holiday 2 years ago, went back to the UK for a year. As I've been here a month does this mean I've only got 2 months left to sit the theory test?

Gah!

it would appear so mate, just hope we have issue dates on ours:mellow:

pyrocam
13th November 2005, 15:09
wil and scratcha
read further down in my post, I stand corrected.

Hammer
13th November 2005, 18:33

Gah!

I don't think so Scracha. You went back for a year right. I would say the 2 years applied starts afresh when you got back a month a go.

boomer
13th November 2005, 20:57
All they need to do is a check on your car and find that you have owned it for more that a year. A good indication that you have been here more than a year. Assuming i owned the car

Or they can contact immagration from the road side and check your dates of entry. Sorry officer i thought it meant last date of entry into the country

Although they could have rang me mum too huh !! :spudbn: I suppose its easier to play by the rules, be a straight shooter, that way karma dont :kick: