PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with these mini choppers?

Lord Alster
10th November 2005, 15:05
So what's the story with these things, there seems to be a real influx of them. I'm seeing them on the road all the time and they look ridiculous and dangerous. Are they actually allowed on the road. I did see one with a license plate so I can only presume it met the requirements but most I see don't have plates. They sit so low on the road that it'd be easy to miss them particularly for trucks and buses and the like. Does any body know aything about them, where they're coming from or anything.:scooter:

judgeshock
10th November 2005, 15:11
They should all be banned and burnt.:bash:

Lord Alster
10th November 2005, 15:15
At least keep them off the roads. We use to muck around on mini bikes we built at home when I was a kid, lots of fun. Keep them for the beach or parks but not on the road.:nono:

judgeshock
10th November 2005, 15:17
Yep off road is what i meant :doh: :lol: :lol:

Postie
10th November 2005, 15:23
So what's the story with these things, there seems to be a real influx of them. I'm seeing them on the road all the time and they look ridiculous and dangerous. Are they actually allowed on the road. I did see one with a license plate so I can only presume it met the requirements but most I see don't have plates. They sit so low on the road that it'd be easy to miss them particularly for trucks and buses and the like. Does any body know aything about them, where they're coming from or anything.:scooter:

There actually from a small island located near the North Pole called Erkstrom which is where all of Santa’s elf’s actually come from. They had a few outlaws who refused to work for the big red fat guy and one of them tried to assassinate Rudolf because he thought the reindeer was taking the piss out of the elf’s big red noses, thankfully the elf failed and he and his outlaw mates we hunted down and marked for destruction. They had a great idea to make some choppers to make there get away in style (though they failed to actually incorporate any style into these choppers). the big red guy saw what they had done and he decided to not eat the cleaver little chaps, no. instead he invested all his Santa money into mass manufacture of these mini choppers. Because Santa only ever flies above humans, he didn't realise how big we actually are compared to the elves and this is why they look so silly.

Broomie
10th November 2005, 16:05
They sould all go back to the play ground they came from, they can only give they MCycle community a bad ref

People get reg as a moped, limited to 50kph, these things can wooble up to 80kph, then muppets take them on the open road

that's my 2 cents

Coyote
10th November 2005, 18:45
Wonder how one would handle the rimutakas? :p

By the way, does anyone know where I can get a small turbo?

Da Bird
14th November 2005, 22:20
I hate the things and have a list of things to look for when stopping one. Can easily write up tickets for several offences and even impounded one the other day after the rider was found to be forbidden from driving/riding.

I've seen one person get mowed down by a car... very dangerous - I definitely wouldn't ride one on the road.

BC.

scumdog
14th November 2005, 22:40
I hate the things and have a list of things to look for when stopping one. Can easily write up tickets for several offences and even impounded one the other day after the rider was found to be forbidden from driving/riding.

I've seen one person get mowed down by a car... very dangerous - I definitely wouldn't ride one on the road.

BC.

Must have been the easiest impound ever eh? just chuck it in the boot of the 'work'car!:2thumbsup
Couple of guys in town have just got a them, ride them pretty sensibly but I bet some bozo gets one soon and writes it and himself off.

bungbung
15th November 2005, 07:11

How small?

Try a jap car wrecker, something off a charade turbo or something similar. even a kei class car, 660cc turbo.

Postie
15th November 2005, 07:19

BC.
why don't they just make these illegal for road use and get them off the road before they become mobile speed bumps?

SARGE
15th November 2005, 07:21
why don't they just make these illegal and get them off the road before they become mobile speed bumps?

what worries me is the first one that gets killed doing something stupid.. the Media willl say "biker"...

then we are all fvcked

Zed
15th November 2005, 07:29
Now that you mention it, I have seen an influx of these things on the road lately too. Saw a group of 5 mini choppers (http://pictures.zaera.org/albums/2005-tines-bday/mini_chopper_1.jpg) last Sunday blasting through Ponsonby, my first thought was that they were extremely low to the ground and would be dangerous because of lack of vision over other vehicles, then I kinda chuckled at how childish they looked, then I realised that they weren't going that slow!!! Oh and these riders imparticular had no gears on except helmets, no gloves even...:doh:

Quite frankly I'm surprise they're road legal?

Postie
15th November 2005, 07:33
what worries me is the first one that gets killed doing something stupid.. the Media willl say "biker"...

then we are all fvcked
yeah true, maybe we should write to all the media and when it happens, we can ask them to use a more appropiate name........ like try hard, interlectually challanged, dope enduced oxymoron rather then biker.

don't get me wrong, i think the mini choppers actually look cool and i have few mini motos myself. I just think that they are unsafe for road use because they are so small and when a car or truck runs over one and kills somebody, they will have to live with that for the rest of their lives.

SuperDave
15th November 2005, 07:40
Screw these mini chopper things. They don't even look as good as some people say - looking at one close up reveals the shit chromed plastic and the really crappy detailing. The speedo also went to 80mph! :lol:

tracyprier
15th November 2005, 07:43
why don't they just make these illegal for road use and get them off the road before they become mobile speed bumps?
From what I heard the laws as they exist now do not disqualify them from road use but apparantly LTSA is looking to change that so that they can get these things off the road.

I suppose it is a case of these things not being around when the current laws were drafted so they didn't have to be taken into account, now that they are here the law has to catch up. Kind of like internet privacy legislation.

Yes, when the first one is mulched under a 4x4 we need to ensure the media uses an appropriate term to describe them.... try hard, slack-jawed-swivel-eyed-inbred... but NOT biker!

scumdog
15th November 2005, 09:28
Yup, once again we all expect the nana state to take care of a 'problem' we (or most of you) don't agree with.
Next it will be bikes that are too fast or open face helmets or....

AH, FREEDOM TO MAKE A CHOICE, BLOODY GEAT EH?:headbang:

Pardon my sarcasm but a shit load moan about laws involving speed limits etc - yet want one made banning mini-choppers when (according to general comment) they pose no danger to you, are unlikely to be riden by you and the biggest hazard they pose to you is the possibility you might run over one!

End of rant on this topic!!!:beer:

N4CR
15th November 2005, 09:40
Scumdog it's because it might impact our ACC's and also the general perception of bikers - little tiny (new fad etc) bikes are alot more interesting than a gn250 lane splitting - you see the minishoppers doing some vastly more stupid things at times compared to what I have seen most bikers do in similar situations.

They are highly visible to the public (no not literally...) because alot of kids want them and then you get large numbers of people interested in them.

scumdog
15th November 2005, 09:50
Scumdog it's because it might impact our ACC's and also the general perception of bikers - little tiny (new fad etc) bikes are alot more interesting than a gn250 lane splitting - you see the minishoppers doing some vastly more stupid things at times compared to what I have seen most bikers do in similar situations.

They are highly visible to the public (no not literally...) because alot of kids want them and then you get large numbers of people interested in them.

And apart from the ACC thing (maybe) this is a bad thing for YOU how??

They'll fade off just like chatter-rings, hoola hoops etc...

Anybody remember the mini-bikes of the late '60's/early 70's? Where are they all now?

NordieBoy
15th November 2005, 12:26
Anybody remember the mini-bikes of the late '60's/early 70's? Where are they all now?
TradeMe...

Zed
15th November 2005, 13:48

TradeMe...Early mini-bikes, I've seen a few of them at holiday batches! Even my old MB100 is a batch bike now, lol.

In The Breeze
15th November 2005, 13:52
Monkey bikes?

Postie
15th November 2005, 13:55
They'll fade off just like chatter-rings

from what I understand about chatter-rings, they were told to stop selling them because they were causing damage to kids hearing....... apparently
so they didn't die out, they were just banned.

*sic
15th November 2005, 14:05
average little things, dont like em at all.

midgets are at home on them not grown men / women.. in singlets, stubbies and jandels..

sunhuntin
15th November 2005, 19:26
yep, rediculous little things. cool to watch the first time, but any time after that ya pick up lack of safety gear. they are banned overseas due to deaths resulting....cars dont see full sized motorbikes....how the heck are they meant to see things the height of a 3 yearold?

nodrog
15th November 2005, 19:55

how small a turbo do you want? apparently they were selling turbo kits for mini choppers at big boys toys, i might get one for my chainsaw!!

skidMark
17th November 2005, 17:56

BC.

can i hear this list please just so i know bykey :blip: im a good boy i really am hehe

skidMark
17th November 2005, 17:58
anywhere i go all the little kids sit on it and i get heaps of people asking me about mine drives you insane after a while

Waylander
17th November 2005, 20:59
anywhere i go all the little kids sit on it and i get heaps of people asking me about mine drives you insane after a while
Get a real chopper, not some weed eater powerd bicycle.

NordieBoy
17th November 2005, 21:38
Don't admit that to the cops.
They don't tend to take you seriously after you've told them you're insane...
:whistle:

terbang
22nd November 2005, 06:36
Saw a young bloke with a mini chopper yesterday in Waiuku that was pulled over by a rozzer and there seemed to be a bit of paperwork being generated. There didn't seem to be a helmet in sight and by the look on the lads face I'd say he had just had the riot act read to him and had just been made aware of the cost of his joyriding.
:thud:

keza
22nd November 2005, 10:00
these mini choppers are wrong they are getting them through as mopeds no tail lights and have the riders wear no protective gear and you can't see them
i have had the miss fortune of not seeing one and running over him as he went through a red light well i was turning in the truck bike f#@%!@ rider o ki thankl christ