PDA

View Full Version : hypothetical situation # 427

ZorsT
10th November 2005, 20:22
My friend is thinking of buying a bike...

Said friend happens to own a bike exactly the same as the bike he is thinking of buying.

The bike he is thinking of buying has no VIN, and therefore, no REG or WOF...

My friend has a great idea. He plans to take his number plate and reg and wof stickers off HIS bike and affix them to his new bike in order to drive it home...

My friend lives in Greymouth, and the new bike is in Timaru.

How likely is it for my friend to be caught, and what would he be charged with? I suspect it would be slightly more than just fines.

Thanks for your help.

NotaGoth
10th November 2005, 20:27
Someone I work with was just talking bout that the other day, she did it with a car, drove around for 3 years, got pulled up ALOT and never got caught. People were none the wiser. Once you do get caught though..... I don't think the consequences would be worth it.

Toast
10th November 2005, 20:29
I'd imagine you'd only get nicked if you crashed it and there was an insurance investigation or something.

I mean, no officer is going to check the chassis and engine numbers on the vehicle.

Motu
10th November 2005, 20:32
I do it all the time,always have - the secret is not to do anything stupid enough that a Cop would even look at you.....a little trick that is sadly lost on 90% of riders,they are the ones the Cops ''pick on''.Tell him to blend in and be invisible.

ZorsT
10th November 2005, 20:37
Said bike is not worth the excess his insurance requires (under 25 male on learners)

Said friend never does anything to stand out

:)

Mumbles
10th November 2005, 20:37
Tell your :blip: "friend" ...
Dont get caught! No insurance so dont crash into the back of a $$$ car. Dont panic if the fuzzz stops ya for a chat

NotaGoth
10th November 2005, 20:40
repeat... DON'T CRASH

riffer
10th November 2005, 20:46
Here's my interpretation on the legalities of the situation. However, I may be wrong and I am happy to be corrected on this.

INMHO - legally speaking, its vehicle conversion.

However, if one puts aside any legal problems, there's one biggie your friend will need to consider.

Any time you take a bike for a warrant, the person assessing the vehicle should check the VIN plate.

So your friend would be best advised to swap the VIN plate over.

I've had many assessors check the VIN plate, never had one check the serial number.

Is there something wrong with the frame on the old bike?

Legally, you can take everything off the new bike, and put it on the old frame, and it's not vehicle conversion, as the VIN title resides only on the frame.

However, if you're just riding it home, changing the plates should be okay, as long as you don't speed...

marty
10th November 2005, 20:50
nah - it's not conversion - you have to take something that's not yours , for your own use. they are simple fraud offences (obtaining pecuniary advantage, maybe false pretences). right at the lower end. if it's for a delivery, the bike is in otherwise (ie warrantable) condition, and he's not doing anything stupid, then i shouldn't think it'd be an issue.

FROSTY
10th November 2005, 20:58
Short answer -Tell your "freind" -make sure the bike he's buying is actually safe to be on the road. If it is then just do it--for the purposes of transporting it home only.
Mind you --why friggin bother--said freind has to get to the bike in question somehow--why not just take a van or a car with trailer and save the hassle

ZorsT
10th November 2005, 20:59
My friend plans to make a racebike out of the new bike, so he will only be riding it on the road home. Therefore, taking it in for WOF's is not going to happen.

The bike is in a warrantable state, so he will just need to remember to not be stupid.

Ixion
10th November 2005, 21:44
Well, wht an idea. Who would ever have thought of such a thing :whistle:

2much
10th November 2005, 21:59
As long the bike is the same colour as his then he'll be sweet..... you'll be surprised how many cars are running around in the same situation!

Lou Girardin
11th November 2005, 07:23
No no no don't do it. It's illegal.:innocent:

WRT
11th November 2005, 07:31
Wow Lou, that doesnt half smack of sarcasm.

scumdog
12th November 2005, 04:17
I'd imagine you'd only get nicked if you crashed it and there was an insurance investigation or something.

I mean, no officer is going to check the chassis and engine numbers on the vehicle.

Hmmm, well I know of one who does if there's even a whiff that all is not kosher. (and sometimes does it anyway):doh:

Toast
12th November 2005, 08:15
Hmmm, well I know of one who does if there's even a whiff that all is not kosher. (and sometimes does it anyway):doh:

Wow...vigilant...I guess if it looked like it'd just come from the track it might be wise though.

Divot
12th November 2005, 08:45
As long the bike is the same colour as his then he'll be sweet..... you'll be surprised how many cars are running around in the same situation!

Yeh and they can and do check the VIN and Engine # if they get suscpious of any thing

Ixion
12th November 2005, 09:12
There'd be a bazillion cars around with non matching engine numbers, cos they've had a recon engine. Bikes, too.

ZorsT
12th November 2005, 15:21
There'd be a bazillion cars around with non matching engine numbers, cos they've had a recon engine. Bikes, too.
If my friend attached his VIN, the only thing that would catch my friend out is his frame number...

Unit
12th November 2005, 15:24
If its just a means to get it home, fine, just blend in, dont draw attention, stay cool if pulled up. In the long run, its like anything, we make our choices (Im not going to quote one my mothers sayings ringing in my head, grrrrrrrr).

Jackrat
12th November 2005, 17:14
I just happen to know this guy that lives out Southwest Auckland that does this type of thing.Currently owns two bikes,one of which has it's Reg'o on hold,but he uses the same plate on both.
He's quite well known to the local plod but doesn't get any flack because he's such a nice guy.:blip:

terbang
14th November 2005, 09:05
Rode one of my bikes every day for 3 years Inconspicuously without a Warrant and Rego and didn't get caught. I think the fine is around $200 for that and after 3 years I was way ahead with the fine being cheaper than the Rego.

Divot
15th November 2005, 12:22
Rode one of my bikes every day for 3 years Inconspicuously without a Warrant and Rego and didn't get caught. I think the fine is around $200 for that and after 3 years I was way ahead with the fine being cheaper than the Rego.

Just wait untill some bright spark decides to do the same with regos as they do with road user tax. Back date it to when the vehicle was last registed!!!!!

Deano
15th November 2005, 12:35
I got caught riding a new bike with my old bike's rego plate on it. I bought it a couple of days or so before xmas and the Post Office was closed, so I couldn't register it. Randomly stopped by cops looking out for drunk drivers.

He checked up and found that I had the wrong rego plate on. I explained that everything was shut so I couldn't register it, but couldn't resist riding it.

After a little bit of a wind up at my expense he let me go scot free. This was "Gunner" from Pram. He knew me fairly well also from previous 'encounters' and work contacts.

Ixion
15th November 2005, 14:36
Just wait untill some bright spark decides to do the same with regos as they do with road user tax. Back date it to when the vehicle was last registed!!!!!

They do. Unless the rego's on hold, when you reregister, it will be abckdated until the last time it was registered.

Divot
15th November 2005, 14:42
Leave it too long and you will have to have it re VINed.

terbang
15th November 2005, 17:17
I had the Rego on Hold..!

poorbastard
15th November 2005, 21:12
Im thinking odoing the same thing with a frame I just brought. I'm putting all the parts from the old bandit onto the frame however the frame is a 1997 so I was going to swap the VIN plates over to reg it back as a 2000.