PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha DT175 help

carver
10th November 2005, 21:09
i have a brand new dt 175
it has 500 odd km on the clock,its a good bike, but its...
SLOW, very slow, no powerband, nothing, not much torque, it seems like 1/2 the power of a AG200!
what can i do to improve its performance, why is it so slow from standard?
thanks
carver:doh:

Motu
10th November 2005, 21:41
Get it run if first,1000km of thrashing,then deristrict it.They have a washer in the header pipe,you might need someone to cut it out,open up the airbox lid,pull the carb and check for restrictors,and also full throttle slide travel,check the muffler as well.Someone with more knowledge may have a special trick.I was always disapointed in the DT175,it's a great little bike,but the older,like 70s DT175s were much more powerful,they turned into a learner bike and became slow.Find an MX top end....but you wouldn't want to do that with a new bike.

carver
11th November 2005, 13:16
i will give it a look,what i really want is a peaky powerband, not too violent,but just a range that i can get the power out of it when i ride it on the road (80% of the time)
if anyone else can offer help with the dt its much apreciated.:doh:

carver
12th November 2005, 21:18
i have removed the washer in the exhaust header, it goes nuts now, pulls wheelies in 1st gear without any clutch action BUT
when cruising along (just at a steady speed) it misses like hell, when putting on the power its fine, when letting off the throttle it occasionally fires just once or twice, what is needed to make her run good?
the mixture is cool,the plug is a tan colour.
colder plug?
any risk to the piston?
i have had this bike 11 days, so its still under warranty, but it has 600 odd kms on it, will yamaha care that i have de restricted it when it goes in for its 1000km service?
carver
ps: the restrictor was a real b*tch to get out, it was weled in with some mig spot welds, the diameter of the outlet with the restrictor was about 20mm dia, now its about 60!:blip:

Motu
12th November 2005, 21:52
I wouldn't do any jetting adjustments with just a new bike,maybe reset the idle mixture.It could be running normal,at cruise on light throttle openings 2 strokes run real bad,mine is embarassing,but I think DT175s should be pretty good.The odd bang on overun is quite normal too,just a 2 stroke characteristic.That's good about the exhaust restrictor giving heaps more power eh?

carver
14th November 2005, 08:56
yeah, the dt goes nuts now
i put the fuel/air screw 3 turns out,she runs smooth as now, NO deposits on the plug,im real surprised as to how hard it goes,
im happy with the performance now!
i have had 4 close calls on it in 3 days, none of em my fault though.
its a great bike, now all iwant to do is stiffen up the front forks, cause its easy to bottom out.
cheers
carver

TerryW
26th April 2006, 21:57
How far in the header pipe is the washer? Is it a pull out affair or do I have to cut it out? Any other tips to liven the old DT up? Thanks.

Wellyman
4th May 2006, 21:56
How far in the header pipe is the washer? Is it a pull out affair or do I have to cut it out? Any other tips to liven the old DT up? Thanks.
I would say so..... send a PM to carver, he is still active as he logged on today and he will be able to help you, I don't know much about DT's ,athough my dad has a DT230.
WM

aaron h
15th September 2006, 20:31
hi carver, i am lookin at getin a dt 175 ( new $4,500 ) as a first road bike, i live in the adelaide suburbs and still go to school, do ya think its a good idea to get one, or will i get bored of it?
cheers aaron

Warr
15th September 2006, 20:50
hi carver, i am lookin at getin a dt 175 ( new $4,500 ) as a first road bike, i live in the adelaide suburbs and still go to school, do ya think its a good idea to get one, or will i get bored of it?
cheers aaron
Hi Aaron, theres plenty of good roads and probably tracks around Adelaide from what Ive seen when visiting my sister. Guess tho track riding would be restricted when its too dry tho. But having owned an early DT I'm sure you'd get around just fine.

carver
16th September 2006, 10:05
cheers aaron

the DT was a good bike, well finished, but i prefer honda's NXR 125, its slower, but way less nervous and much better on fuel.
The DT vibrates alot though.

ColtonS
8th February 2010, 16:38
i was just wondering how you remove the washer?
anyadvise wld be great.

carver
8th February 2010, 18:04
any way ya can man!

Nick JD
28th July 2010, 18:26
I just removed the exhaust restriction in my '99 DT 175 and it also runds like a pig (really spluttery) at really low throttle openings - but sweet at all others (idle, half, full). It feels like it almost doubled the power.

Raising and lowering the jet needle doesn't fix the roughness - neither does adjusting the idle screw.

Carver - was yours running fine at 60km/h in 6th with a slightly open throttle after your adjustments?

Any help would be much appreciated.

carver
28th July 2010, 18:55
I just removed the exhaust restriction in my '99 DT 175 and it also runds like a pig (really spluttery) at really low throttle openings - but sweet at all others (idle, half, full). It feels like it almost doubled the power.

Raising and lowering the jet needle doesn't fix the roughness - neither does adjusting the idle screw.

Carver - was yours running fine at 60km/h in 6th with a slightly open throttle after your adjustments?

to be honest, that was 5 years ago and probably 20 bikes ago....

RDjase
28th July 2010, 18:57

Have you got any pics of your DT?

I have a 1979 DT175 (early single shock model) and didnt know they made them 20 years later.
mine goes well, Could have a look at what jetting etc my early one runs

PS this is a old thread, Carver had his DT in 2005

Nick JD
28th July 2010, 19:27
Have you got any pics of your DT?

I have a 1979 DT175 (early single shock model) and didnt know they made them 20 years later.
mine goes well, Could have a look at what jetting etc my early one runs

PS this is a old thread, Carver had his DT in 2005

I thought it'd be better to keep it in the same thread since it's exactly the same problem, and maybe others who also find this thread might get the answer I'm looking for - if I can find it :yes:

Mine's a 1999 model that's mint (4000km) and I've raised and lowered the jet needle too many times to count trying to find the best position that doesn't lean the plug out, but I'm wondering if it's actually the slide (just off idle is the problem), not the jet.

Carver says he simply adjusted the idle screw to fix it, but I'm not having the same luck.

I'd be stoked if you could get back with some jetting (or anyone else) info, because I'm not far off trying a new carb.

Question is: everyone with a DT175 must have derestricted it, but I can't for the life of me find any info on what people have done to their jetting. It's the same bit in all the exhausts, so it should require the same carb changes ... you'd think.

DT owners! How did you get your bikes to run well? :Punk:

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz334/nickjdo/IMG_0215.jpg

Nick JD
30th July 2010, 14:23
I just moved the jet needle clip up to the second to top notch and it runs much, much better - so now I need to keep an eye on the spark plug's colour over the next few km just to make sure.

If I post a picture of the plug here can any 2-stroke gurus give me a yell as to whether I've leaned it out too much? This is my first two-stroke (Japanese sportsbikes last 20 years) and it's little engine is a virgin ... I really don't want to melt it.

rok-the-boat
31st July 2010, 21:24
I had one of those 20 + years ago. I can't believe they are still making them. Back then, it was probably the best all round on/off roader.

Kickaha
31st July 2010, 23:03
Oh yeah, the fun we had with a DT175 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36616&d=1152337222)

RDjase
1st August 2010, 19:06
I just moved the jet needle clip up to the second to top notch and it runs much, much better - so now I need to keep an eye on the spark plug's colour over the next few km just to make sure.

If I post a picture of the plug here can any 2-stroke gurus give me a yell as to whether I've leaned it out too much? This is my first two-stroke (Japanese sportsbikes last 20 years) and it's little engine is a virgin ... I really don't want to melt it.

Took the carb off my DT today, 1979 model

160 main jet

20 Pilot jet

1.5 Slide cutaway

4J6 Needle

267 0-8 Needle jet/holder/Emulision tube?

VM28 round slide, 3U5 00 code on it

The needle clip was on the top position, leanest, will put back to the centre position as its a mongrol cold, never had the carb off the old girl, was chocka full off crap in the Needle jet

RDjase
1st August 2010, 19:08
Oh yeah, the fun we had with a DT175 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36616&d=1152337222)

Good air out of the DT ! :yes:

Must try that with mine :gob: