PDA

View Full Version : Older RGVs vs Later RGVs?

Coyote
11th November 2005, 13:33
Bit of a shame that I missed out on the NSR, but now I'm looking at something else. A 89 RGV250 race bike. Just wondering if the older RGVs have a disadvantage over the later RGVs and other F3 race bikes? Are they any slower?

onearmedbandit
11th November 2005, 15:01
The powervalves in the earlier models were prone to breaking and dropping into the cylinder, on the later models this was sorted. However, still keep an eye on 'em.

nsrpaul
11th November 2005, 15:02
early rgvs , bit slower , 18 inch rear wheel , and a bit peaker than than the later ones

nsrpaul
11th November 2005, 15:03
it was the early 3 stage valves that were real bad , 89 has two stage valves prob the most reliable in the powervalve department ,
just hold out for a nsr

Coyote
11th November 2005, 15:23
just hold out for a nsr
Well the NSR we missed out on, if the auction winner is a no show (which is unlikely) we have first dibs on it. We find out if he gets it over the weekend

As for the RGV I'm looking at, it's pretty cheap and might be worth a punt anyway. It's already met the res at $500

onearmedbandit
11th November 2005, 15:27
it was the early 3 stage valves that were real bad , 89 has two stage valves prob the most reliable in the powervalve department ,
just hold out for a nsr

Really? I had an '89 model and the p/v's were the cause of my motor meltdown. Did a lot of questioning, searching on the net and found it to be a very common fault from '88 through to about '93 I think.

Ivan
11th November 2005, 20:42
F3 could be a fun way to go good luck out there quite big fields the SV650 is probably the best F3 bike by far but serious go the 2 stroke I hear from a few guys that they have a real viscious powerband and will spit ya so watch it but go hard any way dude :rockon:

nsrpaul
12th November 2005, 12:06
Really? I had an '89 model and the p/v's were the cause of my motor meltdown. Did a lot of questioning, searching on the net and found it to be a very common fault from '88 through to about '93 I think.
never said i thought they were reliable , just the best of a crap bunch , hpoe suzuki fired the guy who designed rgv powervalves

onearmedbandit
12th November 2005, 13:17
No problem Paul, although you did use the word reliable!! I think he now sits in a little office with no windows and nowhere to sit.

(Actually, something along the lines of this is true. I read about a guy in Japan (while I wa over there last year) who took his employers to task when they wanted to get rid of him. He refused to go, so they gave him a very small wooden shed, no windows, no work, just a chair and a desk. Kept him on full pay, hoping the boredom would convince him to leave. That was, if I remember correctly, 8 yrs ago!! He's still there today.)

Coyote
12th November 2005, 15:34
Also got another bike in my sites. What do you think of this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=40316333

Looks pretty bare but it says there's everything there to complete. Looks like a fun project bike, but would it make a good F3 racer?

nsrpaul
12th November 2005, 17:15
Also got another bike in my sites. What do you think of this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=40316333

Looks pretty bare but it says there's everything there to complete. Looks like a fun project bike, but would it make a good F3 racer?
noooooooooooooooooooooooo , overpriced money pit

SPORK
12th November 2005, 17:29
noooooooooooooooooooooooo , overpriced money pit
Do you think that the NSRs are superior to RGVs (aside from powervalves)? Coz they cost a hell of a lot more...

nsrpaul
12th November 2005, 22:16
hard question that one , quite similar bikes really , at the end of the day both will cost ya an arm and a leg to keep goin

avgas
12th November 2005, 22:59
never said i thought they were reliable , just the best of a crap bunch , hpoe suzuki fired the guy who designed rgv powervalves
Actually i heard he got promoted - I also heard that this problem was for bikes that had been ridden slow.

avgas
12th November 2005, 23:00
Do you think that the NSRs are superior to RGVs (aside from powervalves)? Coz they cost a hell of a lot more...
They are more rare. This can also dictate the price.
IE RS250 anyone - basically a worked RGV

Coyote
13th November 2005, 07:46
How much would it cost to freight a bike from the UK? You can get some very cheap RS250s from there

Also, what about this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=39868014&permanent=
Bid on that today or hold out for that RGV racer (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=40249676) (closing Wednesday) or look out for a NSR?

Coyote
13th November 2005, 08:42
What about this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=40252544
Can you race TZRs in F3? How do they compare to the RGV and NSR?

nsrpaul
13th November 2005, 10:19
reverse cyl tzr , possibly the most unreliable of them all , when they were imported into nz yamaha nz did 100 odd mods to try and hold them together , didn't work tho
look cool and cheap tho , and fast for the five mins they run in one go
3vx tzrs good , but hard to derestrict

Fluffy Cat
13th November 2005, 10:30
OK,
here we go again......
Early RGVs ie the 89 and prev 2 stage chocolate power valves.Bad power valve pin design,pin came loose after not very much use and the power valve slid into contact with the piston.
Later RGVs 1990 on 3 stage power valve.1990 to 92 chocolate power valve with pin that comes lose.Suzuki up graded the pin made it stronger but the design means that the power valves fail.They still fail just takes a bit longer.
The last of the RGVs had a different design but you dont see many in NZ.
Aprilia RS250 a worked RGV hmmm.Have to say no.The motor is still the RGV motor and all the dynos i have seen show it to be no different.As for the rest of the RS,much better than a standard RGV.
The NSR has a very different power valve to the RGV much more reliable.
But all these 250s are good its just a case of what you get and how you treat it.They need more care and cash than a 4 stroke but its worth it!.

Coyote
13th November 2005, 10:51
But all these 250s are good its just a case of what you get and how you treat it.They need more care and cash than a 4 stroke but its worth it!.
Since I want to race in F3, would a 2 stroke be the best way to go or a 4 stroke? I imagined that if I blew up a 4 stroke it was gonna cost a hideous amount of money unlike a 2 stroke. Then again what are the chances of me blowing up a 4 stroke anyway? Should I just get this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=40249676)as it's cheap?

Wasn't TS going to sell his ZXR?

curious george
13th November 2005, 17:04
OK,
here we go again......
Early RGVs ie the 89 and prev 2 stage chocolate power valves.
Later RGVs 1990 on 3 stage power valve.1990 to 92 chocolate power valve with pin that comes lose.Suzuki up graded the pin made it stronger but the design means that the power valves fail.
Just to point out a correction, Fluffy...
Attached photo is from an 'L' model, note the complete lack of pin to come loose.
These are the two stage version, with power delivery not as smooth IMHO.
I can't be arsed stripping my engine to show you the later ones, but you get the idea.
I don't think anyone could argue that PV's are the achilles heel of the RGV's, I hope they shot they guy who did that one, but they are not as bad as people make out.
As Fluffy (and others) have said, maintence is everything.
The earlier bike (K and L) were slightly lighter, and argueably better forks, usually having more adjustment.
I liked the looks of the later ones, but I doubt there is much difference if tuned properly.
I say go 2 strokes, easy to fix, (you have to do this yourself to make sure it's done properly) and heaps of fun.
4 strokes (zxr400 etc) all good, faster out of the box, but you depend on getting a donor engine if you blow yours up.
If you want to win F3, get a SV700 like Frosty...:Pokey:
I liked the RGV over the NSR because: 1, Looks better and 2, slightly larger.
The stock power valves can be fixed, or you can buy new ones from www.rgv250.co.uk

GO RGV 250!!!!!!

Coyote
13th November 2005, 18:43
Ah screw it. Got an RG150

Fluffy Cat
13th November 2005, 18:49
Oh man got a bit sideways there CG was thinking of the early 3 stage valves.Well spotted.
Now my NSR is going to spank your RGV so poo baa!.

curious george
13th November 2005, 18:55
WTF!?!! Dude, that's 100cc's short! How far you gonna go in F3 with that?

SPORK
13th November 2005, 19:01
SS, mebbe?

blabhalhbl

Squiggles
13th November 2005, 20:56
RGV's rock, nuff said, havent had any probs with mine since i bought it over a year ago, its '89 and runs like a rocket, but i want to derestrict it sometime soon i saw the auction for the race one on trademe, but have no funds :(

Squiggles
13th November 2005, 20:59
Actually i heard he got promoted - I also heard that this problem was for bikes that had been ridden slow.

i heard that too, something along the lines of that riding it "slow" would lead to a build up of grime around the powervalve pin heads, which would wear them away, they snap, thingy goes thru cylinder casing, and u're fooked...... correct? :doobey:

curious george
14th November 2005, 08:11
i want to derestrict it sometime soon (
How are you planning to do that?
What's your starting point?

Coyote
14th November 2005, 09:11
I thought I should stick to Streetstock. All the bikes are the same so if I do well in it it'll be because of how well I ride, not having the faster bike.

Also I'll see if I can do a motorcycle courier job over these holidays to get the funds for an F3 bike.

imdying
15th November 2005, 08:55
FYI, there's a gorgeous Lucky Strike coloured 93 RGV for sale here in Chch at the moment. The bike shop on Moorehouse ave has it I believe (saw it on BikePoint)

Coyote
15th November 2005, 10:11
FYI, there's a gorgeous Lucky Strike coloured 93 RGV for sale here in Chch at the moment. The bike shop on Moorehouse ave has it I believe (saw it on BikePoint)
It's going for a pretty penny too

http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=1290251&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz

Maybe if I had more money than common sense

curious george
15th November 2005, 19:10
Woah. Looks very nice.
If someone's prepared to pay 10k for a NSR in repsol colours, I'd pay 6whatever for that Lucky Strike!

Marmoot
15th November 2005, 21:48
Bit of a shame that I missed out on the NSR, but know I'm looking at something else.

Oooo Alarumbaaa...... Look here.... (http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/nsr/bikemonth/pastbikes.htm)

Coyote
16th November 2005, 12:35
Oooo Alarumbaaa...... Look here.... (http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/nsr/bikemonth/pastbikes.htm)
Awesome :2thumbsup

Those TYGA fairings look awesome

Squiggles
19th November 2005, 08:23
How are you planning to do that?
What's your starting point?

follow the guides on rgv250.co.uk and get some 34mm carb's off trademe or somewhere then a new cdi unit :yes:

curious george
19th November 2005, 09:14
Yup, been there done that ages ago, I was wondering about your progress........
What pipes and CDI you running? Dyno'ed yet? Mods? Anything fancy?

Squiggles
19th November 2005, 11:46
woops, should've read this before replying to your pm... havent started yet, funds dropped away just as i found some 34mm's on trademe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Engine-drive-train/auction-40663527.htm) :doh: will build them back up over christmas and get the project on its way, will be looking for the L-Model CB1204 CDI unit, and perhaps Tyga pipes?

icycold
21st March 2007, 19:21
The later RGV's are the best for handling and also reliability, but you will still require a decent set of aftermarket powervalves

If you need stronger rgv250 powervalves these are the valves to get them:

http://rgv250powervalves.tekutaro.com

phillip
8th July 2009, 12:53
iv riden both bikes, THIS IS MY OWN OPIONION i liked the nsr better mc28 it has a smaller rear trye=more feel and when derestricted go a bit better. there are more parts out there for nsrs.

BE CAREFULL swip card ignitions are cool but also can be a pain in the arse if you loose it $500 and they are almost imposiable to derestrict yourself as its all wire looping and tricking the computer to hold the pvs open after 10k.

After all this i got an rgv250 insted vj22. pluged in the derestricted sapc unit and away you go. pvs CAN BE FIXED but be carefull. Take the bike to a proper bike store and get it checked out befor buying.

Heres how i fixed my pv at work

sil3nt
8th July 2009, 16:52
Ya might want to check the dates on the posts :bleh:

tychver
11th July 2009, 15:10
The NSR is a better bike. Get close with the guys from nsr-world and tyga performance.

EDIT whoa holy thread dredge