PDA

View Full Version : Sqeaky brakes zxr 750

slopster
11th November 2005, 18:08
On my ZXR 750 H1 the front brakes sqeek when applied moderately but not when applied hard. Some car brake pads are made to squeal when they're nearly worn out as a warning - does this go for bikes as well. On my ZXR i've still got about 2mm of material left on all four front pads (as far as I can see). Do they need to be replaced braking seems to be effective still.

Also another question. As far as bleeding the brakes go I've only done it on a single caliper brake by opening the bleed nipple, squeezing the lever, close the bleed nipple, release the lever etc. With two calipers do I open both nipples at the same time or bleed one caliper before the other.

T.W.R
11th November 2005, 19:06
Hey there slopster,

The brake squeak at low speed is a inheirant trait of H1 ZXRs its an annoying thing but there isn't F/A that can be done about it, changing pad compounds or brands doesn't cure it. its a case of live with it.the pad condition hasn't got an effect on the noise, but if you've only got a couple of mm of pad left then your way due for new ones!.
The squeak is just the same as some of the H1 & H2 ZXRs have an appetite for fork seals usually only 1 fork leg too

Bleeding the brakes yep just one side at a time for the front, but if your doing the rear also remember the back brake caliper has 2 nipples the one you can see & one out of sight at the rear of the inner piston housing.

sedge
11th November 2005, 20:12
I slightly rounded the leading/trailing edges of the pads on my ex-H1 and it stopped sqeaking...

Sedge.

WINJA
11th November 2005, 21:21
PEOPLE OFTEN LOOK AT THE WRONG SIDE OF BRAKE PADS FOR SQUAKING , EVER RUN YOUR FINGER ROUND A WET GLASS AND HEAR THE HIGH PITCH SQUAEL, WELL THE PISTONS IN THE CALIPER ARE SHAPED LIKE A GLASS AND THE PADS OCCILATE CAUSING A SQUAL , I CURED THIS ALOT WITH A LIGHT SMERE OF ANTISEIZE ON THE BACK OF THE PAD OR BACKING PLATE , IT DOESNT ALWAYS WORK . DONT LET YOUR PADS GET TO LOW , CHECK THE WEAR INDICATORS

Teflon
13th November 2005, 21:11
On my ZXR 750 H1 the front brakes sqeek when applied moderately but not when applied hard. .

I have the exact same problem. I swaped the the discs around, and so far the problem has disapeared. But who knows, brake pads aren't fully bedded in yet.