PDA

View Full Version : Silly Scooters!

Zed
21st February 2004, 23:10
Scooters, Nifties, Vespas, etc...why don't the people who ride these "bikes" wear any protection apart from the helmets on their heads???

Do they think they won't get hurt falling off at 50kmph?
Are they all Uni students?
Is it willful ignorance?

Does anyone know? :no:

Zed

Ms Piggy
22nd February 2004, 08:31
Hey Zed,
Why don't you ask the riders? :shifty:

DebK
22nd February 2004, 15:24
I admit to being one of these silly scooter riders Zed but am getting all my gear together.

Now have an armoured Alpinestars jacket - elbows, shoulders and spine. Wear bike gloves and am about to buy some Draggin' Jeans kevlar gloves to wear under my other gloves (good for the Winter too). Next on the list is some armoured/padded pants. Last on my list when I can afford them is some boots, though unsure of make or model yet.

So we don't all wear fishtail parkas... though I've been stoopid enough over what was Summer to wear a skirt. That won't happen again though as realise the error of my ways, luckily without falling off though.

Hitcher
22nd February 2004, 16:04
And I presume that ACC and others lump "scooter injuries" in with motorcycles...

On my way home up the Ngaio gorge on Friday night I passed a nerd without a helmet riding a Honda scooter. Not the first time I've seen said offender in action. The previous time neither he nor his pillion was helmeted. He was lucky he wasn't doing it the previous Friday when Joe Law and his mates were "mining" the gorge road.

darren
22nd February 2004, 16:20
I have met some of these guys at work who ride these things,
there main excuse is they dont have the money

my reply, get a life before you loose it

darren

Zed
22nd February 2004, 17:51
I have met some of these guys at work who ride these things,
there main excuse is they dont have the money

my reply, get a life before you loose it

darren
Yeah, I work with a young lady who sometimes rides a scooter- she has no protection whatsoever and her helmet resembles a glorified bicycle helmet! She thinks it's a joke.

There seems to be a different mindset with them...it's like they havn't even given a thought to falling off? :shutup:

Zed

Zed
22nd February 2004, 17:54
I admit to being one of these silly scooter riders Zed but am getting all my gear together.

Now have an armoured Alpinestars jacket - elbows, shoulders and spine. Wear bike gloves and am about to buy some Draggin' Jeans kevlar gloves to wear under my other gloves (good for the Winter too). Next on the list is some armoured/padded pants. Last on my list when I can afford them is some boots, though unsure of make or model yet.

So we don't all wear fishtail parkas... though I've been stoopid enough over what was Summer to wear a skirt. That won't happen again though as realise the error of my ways, luckily without falling off though.
You're an exception to the general rule DebK! :2thumbsup

Zed

marty
22nd February 2004, 18:05
well i ride a push bike reasonably often, and over a 25km ride to work I can AVERAGE 35km/h. my top speed is often 70k, sometimes 85, depending on which way i go. i wear lycra, gloves and a skid lid, and I often draught scooters at 40-50k. yes it hurts when I fall off, but i ain't wearin full armour and helmet for no one

wkid_one
22nd February 2004, 18:13
i wear lycra
An image I think most of us coulda done without :banana::banana:

Firefight
22nd February 2004, 18:20
Scooters, Nifties, Vespas, etc...why don't the people who ride these "bikes" wear any protection apart from the helmets on their heads???

Do they think they won't get hurt falling off at 50kmph?
Are they all Uni students?
Is it willful ignorance?

Does anyone know? :no:

Zed

While I agree with you Zed re Scooters ,and I know it has been discussed on this site many times before, I still can,t get my head round sportsbike riders
on motorway/open road, no gloves, tee shirt, and shorts. I used to think perhaps some time sitting in ICU would help, or maybe a section of graphic
pics on the site, but no, I don,t think that would make a difference.

I passed a guy on the way to work this evening, Nth bound on the southern M/way near Takanini, wearing Sand shoes, shorts, teeshirt , no gloves, on a
Red and black kawa of some kind, looked like a 600. made me :sick:

His right some may claim, Buggered if I know, Just thinkin of the :doctor: folks who have to clean it up.

Firefight :disapint:

wkid_one
22nd February 2004, 18:23
There is an argument to support appropriate safety clothing to be worn while riding.....but then, how many times have the police asked to make sure your helmet meets the minimum requirements.

Firefight
22nd February 2004, 18:29
There is an argument to support appropriate safety clothing to be worn while riding.....but then, how many times have the police asked to make sure your helmet meets the minimum requirements.

yeah good point Dan, I have never heard of that being checked, can they do that ? What are the min requirments ?

F/F

wkid_one
22nd February 2004, 18:34
They are supposedly written up in the LTSA standards somewhere.

If the ACC was serious about reducing accidents - the smart option would be the legislate a minimum standard of biking attire. Make riding in T'Shirts/Jandels etc illegal - or reckless and ticket accordingly. At the end of the day - we pay thru ACC for these accidents. Whilst I have no problem paying for someone who was at the very least wearing all the right gear - fucked if I want to pay for someone who was stupid enuf to ride in a tshirt w/o gloves.

Motoracer
22nd February 2004, 19:45
Why did people look at me funny when I had my race leathers, gloves, helmet and boots on while I was riding my 50 cc scooter?

MikeL
22nd February 2004, 20:09
To be fair, the vast majority of bike riders, and most scooter riders, seem to be reasonably well protected. On the way to and from Paeroa today I saw very few not wearing appropriate gear. A small number in jeans and sneakers, but almost everyone had leather or synthetic jacket and proper boots. Over the last few weeks in town however I have seen proportionally more scooter riders in shirt sleeves and shorts. Maybe a calculated risk, maybe blissful ignorance, but a targeted education campaign would be useful.

Zed
22nd February 2004, 20:15
Why did people look at me funny when I had my race leathers, gloves, helmet and boots on while I was riding my 50 cc scooter?
Did you have your head down like you were really going for it? :Punk:

Now that would have been funny, hence the looks!

Zed

Zed
22nd February 2004, 20:24
...and most scooter riders, seem to be reasonably well protected.
Where do you live again Mike? I commute every day to work from Hobsonville to Mt Wellington in Auckland (I bypass the motorway system on the way home) and nearly every scooter rider I see is irresponsibly clothed! :shit:

Maybe a calculated risk, maybe blissful ignorance, but a targeted education campaign would be useful.
Yeah, a campaign to rid NZ roads of scooters & the like altogether would be pleasing. (Um, no offence to scooter riders, but get a real bike will ya!)

Zed

MikeL
22nd February 2004, 20:54
Mt Wellington to Hobsonville without using the motorway? Is that possible?

My observations of scooterists and their attire are based entirely on my commute from Onehunga to the CBD and is admittedly completely subjective and based on the 2 or 3 I might see on an average day... Of course we don't see many scooter riders in Onehunga these days, since the suburb became gentrified. CBRs, GSXRs, R6s, a Ducati or two...
:p

DebK
22nd February 2004, 20:58
Yeah, a campaign to rid NZ roads of scooters & the like altogether would be pleasing. (Um, no offence to scooter riders, but get a real bike will ya!)

Cr*p, I wondered when this kind of talk might start up.

My reason for going scooter
Late model 180cc 2-stroke scoot = cheap power & something different looking to learn road-sense on.

Early model 250cc 4-stroke sports-like bike = similar price but old and bound to cause mechanical grief.

Researched all my up to 250cc options but decided upon a scooter that had a good top-speed for m-way use but could also get me out of trouble power-wise.

My next step up later on when I can afford it maybe a 600cc+ sportsbike, though with talk of extreme lower back pain inflicted maybe a naked might be the better option. Nick at Motorad has a great looking Kawasaki Z1000 (in orange) that is also now available in Z750 at $12K.

If you think I'm talking out of my ass (which I assume you do & yeah, I'm feeling a little miffed & defensive but that's a woman's prerogative), I'm not some pit-lizard who isn't serious about bikes.

Zed
22nd February 2004, 20:59
Mt Wellington to Hobsonville without using the motorway? Is that possible?
:p
Yes, it's longer but at least it's moving! My home ride is from Mt Wllgtn down to Mission Bay and into town, over the h/bridge (yes motorway, sorry?) then 1st offramp up through Glenfield, etc and past Greenhithe to home...great ride. Generally see scooters every day, hence my comments.

Zed

Andrew
22nd February 2004, 21:04
Could it be a fashion thing. One scooter guy does it becuase the other scooter guy does it. Monkey see monkey do. Need I say more?

Zed
22nd February 2004, 21:04
Cr*p, I wondered when this kind of talk might start up.

My reason for going scooter
Late model 180cc 2-stroke scoot = cheap power & something different looking to learn road-sense on.

Early model 250cc 4-stroke sports-like bike = similar price but old and bound to cause mechanical grief.

Researched all my up to 250cc options but decided upon a scooter that had a good top-speed for m-way use but could also get me out of trouble power-wise.

My next step up later on when I can afford it maybe a 600cc+ sportsbike, though with talk of extreme lower back pain inflicted maybe a naked might be the better option. Nick at Motorad has a great looking Kawasaki Z1000 (in orange) that is also now available in Z750 at $12K.

If you think I'm talking out of my ass (which I assume you do & yeah, I'm feeling a little miffed & defensive but that's a woman's prerogative), I'm not some pit-lizard who isn't serious about bikes.
Again Deb, no offense intended. Even though your bike is technically a scooter the thread wasn't aimed at responsible riders like you who are intending on scaling up in bikes...

Zed

Milky
22nd February 2004, 23:04
well i ride a push bike reasonably often, and over a 25km ride to work I can AVERAGE 35km/h. my top speed is often 70k, sometimes 85, depending on which way i go. i wear lycra, gloves and a skid lid, and I often draught scooters at 40-50k. yes it hurts when I fall off, but i ain't wearin full armour and helmet for no one

I used to ride very often for triathalons and time trials, in the same 'fashion'. yes it does hurt when u come off, and it mystifies me, upon reflection, why there is a necessity for scooter riders to wear full protection, but nothing apart from a cheap helmet for cyclists.

they both ride in the same sort of traffic too... and cyclists are even less visible on the road without lights or turn signals

hmmmm :mellow:

Motu
23rd February 2004, 06:43
Why do I see so many squid bike riders wearing baggy shorts,huge sneakers with no socks,a T shirt and a helmet that doesn't fit? What is it with these wankers? just because you ride a sports bike it gives you imunity from crashing?

Chicks ride scooters....chicks wear skirts....I have no problem with that.

Jackrat
23rd February 2004, 08:50
And why do squids dress like Mighty Morthing power rangers.
Bunch of weido's!!
No wonder the average car driver can't take them for real,I don't either.
I mean if it dresses like a tube of tooth paste is it really human??
Shit an they all ride them plastic bikes!!!
Reckon if they rode real bikes people might treat them with respect,as it is their just boy racers on two wheels. :lol:

Motoracer
23rd February 2004, 09:48

Zed

Do a search on scooter racing in Europe if you can be bothered, its some hard out shit. With the right rider in a twisty track on some thing like Deb's scooter, almost any bike will be left for dead cause they have hell corner speeds. When I had my scooter on the road I thought "gosh, this is the most practical form transport available out there". It was also awesome fun through the corners scraping either side of it.

Also, you know and I know that there are plenty fo guys on big bikes riding around in shorts, jandals and Ts. Shall we get rid bikes alltogether just cause of that?

And why do squids dress like Mighty Morthing power rangers.
Bunch of weido's!!
No wonder the average car driver can't take them for real,I don't either.
I mean if it dresses like a tube of tooth paste is it really human??
Shit an they all ride them plastic bikes!!!
Reckon if they rode real bikes people might treat them with respect,as it is their just boy racers on two wheels. :lol:

I would like to see how fast your "real bike" can go compaired to the "plastic bikes" :lol: (rider skills aside)

What?
23rd February 2004, 10:52
I passed a guy on the way to work this evening, Nth bound on the southern M/way near Takanini, wearing Sand shoes, shorts, teeshirt , no gloves, on a
Red and black kawa of some kind, looked like a 600.
Could be same one I saw cruising up the Kaimai a couple of weeks back. Big bore scooter, wallowing 10 times worse than any Hardley, sneakers, shorts, t-shirt and open face lid (undone). Wobbling along at up to 120, overtaking in dumb places etc etc. :ar15:

Motu
23rd February 2004, 11:00
I think all squid bike riders should be made to stand in front of a full length mirror when applying for a license - if they repeat the same pose twice,or hold a pose for more than 30 secs they should be given a tube of KY Jelly and told to come back tomorrow or when the tube runs out - whichever comes first.

Coldkiwi
23rd February 2004, 12:17
now now, just because we're better protected doesn't mean we got something stuck up the jacksee when we got dressed! :bleh:

fact is fact: wear a one piece armoured suit (and probably riding a plastic bike at the time... or put up with more than the usual 'spacesuit' comments if you're on a scoot) and you WILL come off better in an accident than the blokey hard man wearing open face lid, jeans, thin leather gloves and his tassled johnny rebb jacket. Sure, some of us probably do it for image but its hardly a case of fashion before function.
Instead of the KY coming out, I think ALL people applying for a 6L licence should be shown a watermelon getting dragged behind a car for 50m at 30 kmhr when its wrapped in denim and then another watermelon being dragged in leather with padding and tell them to draw their own conclusions on the ensuing mess (and then point out how much faster they'll probably be going) :eek5:

I think all squid bike riders should be made to stand in front of a full length mirror when applying for a license - if they repeat the same pose twice,or hold a pose for more than 30 secs they should be given a tube of KY Jelly and told to come back tomorrow or when the tube runs out - whichever comes first.

Jackrat
23rd February 2004, 12:22
Do a search on scooter racing in Europe if you can be bothered, its some hard out shit. With the right rider in a twisty track on some thing like Deb's scooter, almost any bike will be left for dead cause they have hell corner speeds. When I had my scooter on the road I thought "gosh, this is the most practical form transport available out there". It was also awesome fun through the corners scraping either side of it.

Also, you know and I know that there are plenty fo guys on big bikes riding around in shorts, jandals and Ts. Shall we get rid bikes alltogether just cause of that?

I would like to see how fast your "real bike" can go compaired to the "plastic bikes" :lol: (rider skills aside)

At lest as fast as your scooter,,,LOL Rider skills aside of course.
But then when did dressing like an android have anything to do with Speed,Skill or anything else other than VERY poor taste??

Motoracer
23rd February 2004, 12:33
But then when did dressing like an android have anything to do with Speed,Skill or anything else other than VERY poor taste??

Well.... errr, If I was to get technical, I would say that the speed hump on a pair of race leathers will add to the top speed to some degree :D

Other than that, I guess I am guilty of poor taste if every one else reckons its dorky :o

Edit: P.S. CK is on to it. I don't know what id do without the full armour of a race suit.

Hitcher
23rd February 2004, 14:40
Well I'm going to be different and NOT get on the "let's kick the crap out of scooters because we're big tough bikers" bandwagon.

Read the latest issue of Motorcycle Sport and Leisure. There's an article in it of four of their better rider/reviewers who took along four maxi scooters to a bike track day and had a ball! I suspect there were many bruised egos amongst the bikers there who got royally worked over by the scoots...

So they don't have a clutch
So they have shitloads of unsprung weight
So you don't have anything to clasp between your knees
So you can't get your knee down
Etc

Geez Louise guys, get over yourselves!

Zed
23rd February 2004, 17:38
Well I'm going to be different and NOT get on the "let's kick the crap out of scooters because we're big tough bikers" bandwagon.

Geez Louise guys, get over yourselves!Yeah whatever man... :gob:

Scooters suck and most bikers know it. Ok the truth has come out- I hate them! (not the rider though, let's make that clear)

Zed

Jackrat
23rd February 2004, 17:44
Hey,I'm not having a go at scooters' I think they's kind'a cool.
But I do like taking the piss out of The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
I mean hell They just ask for it,I mean LOOK at em, :wacko: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wkid_one
23rd February 2004, 17:48
I hate them!

SHouldn't you love all of gods creatures? Surely HATRED is not an emotion condoned in the bible - tolerance however is

Motu
23rd February 2004, 17:57
Us mature riders on this site wouldn't diss anothers ride would we? no,that would be just...just...well - UNCHRISTIAN.

I hate wankers on sports bikes.

Zed
23rd February 2004, 17:59
SHouldn't you love all of gods creatures? Surely HATRED is not an emotion condoned in the bible - tolerance however is
:Offtopic: ...again

Go take a running jump in the lake Cincinnati kid.

Why don't you find another sucker who will bite at your childish posts.

Zed
23rd February 2004, 18:04
Us mature riders on this site wouldn't diss anothers ride would we? no,that would be just...just...well - UNCHRISTIAN.

Can't a guy just be honest about his views? Of course it's bound to turn someone off...you should try it sometime Motu :laugh: (pity you can't express yourself without filth coming out of your mouth though)

wkid_one
23rd February 2004, 18:05
:Offtopic: ...again

Go take a running jump in the lake Cincinnati kid.

Why don't you find another sucker who will bite at your childish posts.
You did just bite......

jrandom
23rd February 2004, 18:10
Scooters suck and most bikers know it.

Eh? No they don't. They're just another form of two-wheeled transportation. I remember taking a skewer to this whole scooter bashing thing a while back, I can't be arsed rehashing it or finding the post.

Anyway, don't be silly. Nobody's forcing you to ride a scooter if you don't want one.

Anything that goes on two wheels has its place in the world. Love, peace, unity and all that. Here, have a spoonful out of my granola bowl.

Motu
23rd February 2004, 18:42
Can't a guy just be honest about his views? Of course it's bound to turn someone off...you should try it sometime Motu :laugh: (pity you can't express yourself without filth coming out of your mouth though)

He bites! oooh yes,he bites.

wkid_one
23rd February 2004, 18:48
He bites! oooh yes,he bites.
PMPL - fishing is so much more fun when you get a few nibbles

Jackrat
23rd February 2004, 19:21
Hey Let's have a fight.
If I'm late start without me :lol: :lol: :banana: :doobey: :bleh: :doh:

Zed
23rd February 2004, 19:39
Eh? No they don't. They're just another form of two-wheeled transportation. I remember taking a skewer to this whole scooter bashing thing a while back, I can't be arsed rehashing it or finding the post.

Anyway, don't be silly. Nobody's forcing you to ride a scooter if you don't want one.

Anything that goes on two wheels has its place in the world. Love, peace, unity and all that. Here, have a spoonful out of my granola bowl.
I'm not being silly, I'm being honest...and that's what some of you guys should start doing about the scooter issue instead of wimping out on the "let's not offend anyone on two wheels" excuse. :bash:

That's the problem with men these days- very few of them will take a stand for what they believe...they would rather elect a woman to do it!! (Does Ms Clark ride a scooter? I think not!!)

BTW- who on this site rides a scooter apart from DebK? (& she wants to upgrade to a real bike soon)

Zed

georgedubyabush
23rd February 2004, 20:02
Scooters are great. If I lived in Auckland I'd have one for sure. Just to save the wear and tear on my bike. And convenience.

I'd say in many respects it's a little stupid to commute on a great big powerful sportbike that is just cooking in traffic and burning out the clutch, has feck all lockable storage, is more likely to be knocked over or nicked.

Zed
23rd February 2004, 20:28
Scooters are great. If I lived in Auckland I'd have one for sure. Just to save the wear and tear on my bike. And convenience.

I'd say in many respects it's a little stupid to commute on a great big powerful sportbike that is just cooking in traffic and burning out the clutch, has feck all lockable storage, is more likely to be knocked over or nicked.
That's okay- I respect your opinion.

...so that could be you going over the Auckland harbour bridge in the attached photo? Do you see me? No, of course you don't...I've already crossed the bridge and am nearly home! :banana:

Zed

Motoracer
23rd February 2004, 20:59
Zed......mate..... I don't know what to say to some of the things you have said really lol

I used to ride a scooter around town and love it. Obviously I am not a proper scooter fanatic but after trying them out I have a respect for them. They definetly have their purpose in the world IMO. If you tried it Zed and had an open mind about it, just maybe, you might like it as well :)

oh yea, HC used to ride a step through back in the days and she reckons it was a great way to get around. It was a honda something, possibly 50 or 90 cc.

Motoracer
23rd February 2004, 21:18
So you can't get your knee down

Sorry to correct you there but..

Zed
23rd February 2004, 21:23
Zed......mate..... I don't know what to say to some of the things you have said really lol

I used to ride a scooter around town and love it. Obviously I am not a proper scooter fanatic but after trying them out I have a respect for them. They definetly have their purpose in the world IMO. If you tried it Zed and had an open mind about it, just maybe, you might like it as well :)

oh yea, HC used to ride a step through back in the days and she reckons it was a great way to get around. It was a honda something, possibly 50 or 90 cc.Well I've riden them too Motorracer and favour a ten speed or mountain bike over them anyday. What, don't you think I know what I'm talking about when I say scooters suck the kumara? You go on admiring them, not that I think you give them a second look like you do a real bike when you see them...and you don't have to say anything about what I have said, just realise that there are people in this world who think differently than you. But don't belittle me if you disagree with me like several guys on this site...okay mate. :D

Zed

Motoracer
23rd February 2004, 21:37
Ok I give up :D

BTW: I wasn't trying to force my views on to you. I just thought you never tried them is all :)

Zed
23rd February 2004, 21:41
Ok I give up :D

BTW: I wasn't trying to force my views on to you. I just thought you never tried them is all :)
Give up on what? This ain't no competition to see who can endure the longest and say the smartest things...I appreciated what you said, even if I disagreed with you!

Say whatever you want to say, but be prepared to take some back if you give it out. :done:

Zed

Motu
23rd February 2004, 21:50
I think Zed has a deep seated problem with scooters - perhaps something traumatic happened in his childhood,something horrible,unspeakable,and,and...it concerned a...a...shhhh - SCOOTER!!!!!

He needs therapy,and perhaps some of us on this site could help - maybe a scooter rider...like DebK for instance - perhaps she could take him for a nice quiet drive in the country...in her car...with a voice recorder on,then we could hear him bite his tongue and swallow it.

Um....after we hose the ''car'' out,I would kinda,uh,grovel for the same teatment.

Motoracer
23rd February 2004, 21:54
PMPL!!! :laugh: :lol:

Zed
23rd February 2004, 22:13
I think Zed has a deep seated problem with scooters - perhaps something traumatic happened in his childhood...
My childhood was fine, things went haywire when I met Wkid & you Motu! :brick:

He needs therapy,and perhaps some of us on this site could help - maybe a scooter rider...like DebK for instance -
Yes, DebK seems to be the only one on the WHOLE SITE who rides a scooter, well technically it's a scooter and a glorified one at that. She's upgrading soon though...

Motu & fellow scooter lovers keep on defending them if you please , even ride one if you dare, but keep out of my way on the road in the mornings because I eat scooters for breakfast! :kick:

Zed

georgedubyabush
23rd February 2004, 22:27
That's okay- I respect your opinion.

...so that could be you going over the Auckland harbour bridge in the attached photo? Do you see me? No, of course you don't...I've already crossed the bridge and am nearly home! :banana:

Zed

Well good for you.
If youre gonna get into the hypotheticals, then yeah, you are already home, while my bike has been at home all day in the shed and isnt wasted on a commute. But at least you can be pleased with yourself in getting home before a scooter huh. I just think that is completely missing the point of them.

Yeah sure, if you have to go on the motorway (which most likely do), no, I wouldnt want a scooter. A friend of mine has a scooter in Auckland and says he wants a bike. I tell him straight up that for the commuting he does (Remuera to CBD around the waterfront) he is better off keeping the scooter.

Motu
23rd February 2004, 22:27
Hey,imagine if Jesus came back - riding a scooter...in sandals :eek5:

Would Zed convert? to a Vespa?

Zed
23rd February 2004, 22:34
Hey,imagine if Jesus came back - riding a scooter...in sandals :eek5:

Would Zed convert? to a Vespa?
Here we go again, a deeper personal attack on my God. You really don't understand who you are making fun of...but you seem to know something about his 2nd coming?

And how can I make a comeback from that? Who is Motu's God that I might make a joke of him...I know, it is Motu!!! Motu worships himself and bows down to the mirror every day 3 times a day don't you. :Pokey:

Motu & Wkid must be brothers!

Zed

Zed
23rd February 2004, 22:39
Well good for you.
If youre gonna get into the hypotheticals, then yeah, you are already home, while my bike has been at home all day in the shed and isnt wasted on a commute. But at least you can be pleased with yourself in getting home before a scooter huh. I just think that is completely missing the point of them.

Yeah sure, if you have to go on the motorway (which most likely do), no, I wouldnt want a scooter. A friend of mine has a scooter in Auckland and says he wants a bike. I tell him straight up that for the commuting he does (Remuera to CBD around the waterfront) he is better off keeping the scooter.
Not wasted on a commute?? Oh I see, you're one of these weekend only riders? <_<

Also, it sounds like your mate has the right idea...give him my number if he wants some good advice about bikes.

Zed

Goddess of Goof
23rd February 2004, 23:33
...you sound like an old woman! :gob:
Zed
and you Zed sound like the nasty grumpy intolerant self-opinionated old man you reveal yourself to be. Post after post.

I take exception to your perjorative reference to old women because I am one. CRONES like me OVERTAKE old men like you in many ways....

You don't like scooters ? Aw, shucks, poor diddums.

Mummy will make them all go away...... (not).

:scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :bye:

Goddess of Goof
23rd February 2004, 23:43
(Does Ms Clark ride a scooter? I think not!!)Zed
If you, real hard-arsed hard -core biker that you claim to be Zed, was paying proper attention, you would know that Ms Helen Clark did indeed ride A SCOOTER to University, in her student days.

I saw it myself, in the BMW "Vrooom" exhibition on display in the Auckland War Memorial Museum a few years ago. I recall it was red, in excellent condition for its age, and obviously well-loved.

More than you can say, Zed.

:Pokey:

wkid_one
24th February 2004, 06:45
I think Zed has a deep seated problem with scooters - perhaps something traumatic happened in his childhood,something horrible,unspeakable,and,and...it concerned a...a...shhhh - SCOOTER!!!!!

He needs therapy,and perhaps some of us on this site could help - maybe a scooter rider...like DebK for instance - perhaps she could take him for a nice quiet drive in the country...in her car...with a voice recorder on,then we could hear him bite his tongue and swallow it.

Um....after we hose the ''car'' out,I would kinda,uh,grovel for the same teatment.
ROTLPMPL - very good.

As for scooters - I have nothing against them. Zeds original post seemed to cloak the true intention of his post. Starting off as a disparging remark well aimed at those that ride scooters with inappropriate protective gear - and now turning in to a hate filled tirade against scooters in general.....

I myself like them - living in the middle of the city I can certainly see the benefits of scooters for all manner of people. Apartment dwellers who wish to have transport to zip around town but not the full cost of car ownership. Students who flat just a little far from Varsity and don' wish to rely on public transport.

Scooters are also one of the fastest growing segments of motorcycle registrations here and abroad.

Zed you are entitled to your opinions to HATE scooters. However, I question that a bike is a bike and I would rather see someone on two wheels (regardless of it being a step thru Vespa or a Hyabusa) than in a cage. Also - by disparging against scooters and their riders - you are also hating a group of people who will some day be likely to take the step up to a full blown bike.

Dan

Zed
24th February 2004, 09:09
ROTLPMPL - very good.

As for scooters - I have nothing against them. Zeds original post seemed to cloak the true intention of his post. Starting off as a disparging remark well aimed at those that ride scooters with inappropriate protective gear - and now turning in to a hate filled tirade against scooters in general.....

I myself like them - living in the middle of the city I can certainly see the benefits of scooters for all manner of people. Apartment dwellers who wish to have transport to zip around town but not the full cost of car ownership. Students who flat just a little far from Varsity and don' wish to rely on public transport.

Scooters are also one of the fastest growing segments of motorcycle registrations here and abroad.

Zed you are entitled to your opinions to HATE scooters. However, I question that a bike is a bike and I would rather see someone on two wheels (regardless of it being a step thru Vespa or a Hyabusa) than in a cage. Also - by disparging against scooters and their riders - you are also hating a group of people who will some day be likely to take the step up to a full blown bike.

Dan
Yeah well said Kid...but don't accuse me of "hating a group of people" okay. You have this wicked way of manipulating my words. :sneaky2:

Zed

georgedubyabush
24th February 2004, 09:25
Not wasted on a commute?? Oh I see, you're one of these weekend only riders? <_<

Also, it sounds like your mate has the right idea...give him my number if he wants some good advice about bikes.

Zed

Dear oh dear. :no:
Well Gee, arent I just humbled in your presence. :not:
Completely wrong zed. Weekends are meaningless to me as I work 7 days a week. I leave home for work at about quarter to five every morning, encounter exactly zero traffic on my 25km trip on open roads, and return at around 7.30 at night. There is really no advantage in taking my bike and yet I do more often than not. My car is faster, drier, safer, more comfortable, maybe cheaper, but not as fun.

Why would I tell my mate to get a bike? All he wants is cheap transport and what bike are you going to suggest is cheaper than a scoot? I'd love to hear. :argh:

Zed
24th February 2004, 09:35
Dear oh dear. :no:
Well Gee, arent I just humbled in your presence. :not:
Completely wrong zed. Weekends are meaningless to me as I work 7 days a week. I leave home for work at about quarter to five every morning, encounter exactly zero traffic on my 25km trip on open roads, and return at around 7.30 at night. There is really no advantage in taking my bike and yet I do more often than not. My car is faster, drier, safer, more comfortable, maybe cheaper, but not as fun.

Why would I tell my mate to get a bike? All he wants is cheap transport and what bike are you going to suggest is cheaper than a scoot? I'd love to hear. :argh:
I stand corrected about your riding timetable then...the comment about your mate was a joke.

Zed

Zed
24th February 2004, 09:37
I take exception to your perjorative reference to old women because I am one...
I have edited my original post just for you.

Zed

DebK
24th February 2004, 12:10
Methinks this has gotten way out of hand now.

I scoot and I now understand am the minority in here. Nor do I apologise for the scoot. I love the scoot. I am not ashamed of the scoot. Stepping up (or onto) a sports or naked is still a ways into the future as financially I can't afford it at the moment (have more expensive motoring tastes at the mo!).

My scoot has a great top speed (130+), without getting me into too much trouble with the Narcs (I actually bought the scoot off a cop). It has fantastic acceleration 0-100. It seems to handle okay. To date hasn't cost me much to maintain/run - since Sept have done 3,000kms.

Maybe this posting should now close this thread and some agree to disagree, without all the continued agro.

georgedubyabush
24th February 2004, 14:30
I wouldnt worry about it debk, he's had a go at 250 bikes as well.

James Deuce
24th February 2004, 16:35
Methinks this has gotten way out of hand now.

I scoot and I now understand am the minority in here. Nor do I apologise for the scoot. I love the scoot. I am not ashamed of the scoot. Stepping up (or onto) a sports or naked is still a ways into the future as financially I can't afford it at the moment (have more expensive motoring tastes at the mo!).

My scoot has a great top speed (130+), without getting me into too much trouble with the Narcs (I actually bought the scoot off a cop). It has fantastic acceleration 0-100. It seems to handle okay. To date hasn't cost me much to maintain/run - since Sept have done 3,000kms.

Maybe this posting should now close this thread and some agree to disagree, without all the continued agro.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Interweb thingy Forum, where an offhand comment is insulting, a joke is a mortal insult, and discussions about anything vaguely political or religious start never-ending blood feuds where the end result is a crying widow (or widower, lest that get taken out of context and used against me - aaargh that was joke - no, no, not the comfy chair!!!......) at a rainy funeral.

Motu
24th February 2004, 16:55
Yeah,I don't know why people who get upset easily haunt forums,and yet they abound with them.Just a feeding frenzy on burly.But fishing is a sport of gentlemen...isn't it?

James Deuce
24th February 2004, 17:02
Yeah,I don't know why people who get upset easily haunt forums,and yet they abound with them.Just a feeding frenzy on burly.But fishing is a sport of gentlemen...isn't it?

I wouldn't know. :innocent:

Motu
24th February 2004, 17:17
me either,haven't fished since I was a kid,it just doesn't interest me....but a lot of things real guys are suposed to be interested in leave me blank too.The things you have to pretend to know about (who won the world cup...don't ask me!) when all I want to talk about is bikes.

James Deuce
24th February 2004, 17:22
Tried fishing a couple of times as a kid and just ended up feeling sorry for the fish.

Bikes are much more fun to talk about than fishing OR ball sports.

Man, is this thing utterly off thread now or what?? :)

Hitcher
25th February 2004, 09:32

More like shooting fish in a barrel...

Hitcher
25th February 2004, 09:33
Man, is this thing utterly off thread now or what?? :)

"Or what??" is right (he said, taking it even further off thread...)

What?
25th February 2004, 10:10
[QUOTE=DebK] Nor do I apologise for the scoot. QUOTE]
Nor you should, DebK. The problem with Zed is, he is an evangelist, therefore has no respect for anyone's ideas or ideals bar his own. Which is a shame, because some of his posts have actually been worthwhile..

DebK
25th February 2004, 11:32
Been getting nods from sports & nakeds this week so can't be too bad a sin to be seen on the scoot :niceone: Thing is by the time they nod to me & I realise, they're gone.

A beeotifool big late model Kawasaki tailed me up the Gorge last night as I blatted in & out of the 3 lanes to Johnsonville (does 80kmh easy). Certain he sat almost alongside at one point as he blipped it & I heard a fantastic deep rumble just behind. Was too busy concentrating on not clipping any cars to acknowledge his presence though.

Got home feeling good about the scoot as he didn't embarass himself up the Gorge.

As a side, the scoot gets me around in almost all conditions (excluding gail force winds). Since Sept I've only not taken him out once because of the weather (last Monday). I'm no Parisienne on a Vespa... I'm a Kiwi Gal on a Dragster!

Zed ain't so bad. He just blind-sided me/us for a brief moment. Respect your opinions, Zed, however aggressively you communicate them. Without opinions we'd all be sheep (in cages).

Zed
25th February 2004, 11:39
[QUOTE=DebK]The problem with Zed is, he is an evangelist, therefore has no respect for anyone's ideas or ideals bar his own.
Now that is too far below the belt! Constructive criticism I can handle and appreciate, but unwarranted personal attacks are just wrong.

You obviously have never personally know any evangelists "What?" because they are some of the most caring and giving people on the face of this earth.

If you have nothing to add to this specific thread just keep your big mouth shut...DebK was trying to keep the peace and you just violated her wishes! :mad:

Zed the Evangelist

Zed
25th February 2004, 11:50
Respect your opinions, Zed, however aggressively you communicate them. Without opinions we'd all be sheep (in cages).
Likewise do I respect yours DebK (despite what other wallys may think)...I suppose that I am aggressive, which can be a good thing and bad at times, but I'm not above admitting if I am wrong on an issue or handing out an apology when I say something offensive, as I have already done since joining KiwiBiker.

I am not going to apologise or retract any of my statements about scooters though...that would be dishonest. :msn-wink:

Zed the Evangelist

Coldkiwi
25th February 2004, 12:02
one word: RELAX!

as for the evangelist call What? that is a little misguided. an Evangelist is strictly defined as someone who makes an effort to share their faith. you're referring to someone who just won't shut up (not making reference to Zed, just by way of definition). the two are not one in the same although people often think 2 sentences is too much when the subject becomes a too close to home. Perhaps you know the difference well enough and are just working on the trolling but its not really helpful.

Hitcher
25th February 2004, 13:21
one word: RELAX!

as for the evangelist call What? that is a little misguided. an Evangelist is strictly defined as someone who makes an effort to share their faith. you're referring to someone who just won't shut up (not making reference to Zed, just by way of definition). the two are not one in the same although people often think 2 sentences is too much when the subject becomes a too close to home. Perhaps you know the difference well enough and are just working on the trolling but its not really helpful.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I think the sophistication of your irony will be lost on the more one-dimensional souls amongst us... (Puts fingers in ears in anticipation)

What?
27th February 2004, 10:41
Now that is too far below the belt! Constructive criticism I can handle and appreciate, but unwarranted personal attacks are just wrong.

Yeah, OK, it was a little harsh. But so too your comments on other peoples choice of bike (or scooter).

You obviously have never personally know any evangelists "What?" because they are some of the most caring and giving people on the face of this earth.

Actually, I know several. Some are good friends.

Coldkiwi is right - RELAX! So let's bury the hatchet and talk bikes, huh?

speedpro
29th February 2004, 21:04
you are also hating a group of people who will some day be likely to take the step up to a full blown bike.

Dan

Who decided it would be a step "up"? :scooter:

marty
1st March 2004, 07:43
Who decided it would be a step "up"? :scooter:

He who decides.......decided.

so what is the 'step up'? is it to a GN250? surely that's not a real bike. maybe an RS250 - oh hang on it's only a 250.

oh i know, a kwaka 600 - now THERE'S a real bike......:)

marty
1st March 2004, 07:50
i used to have a CS80, with a top box too! it went like stink, debaffled the exhaust and rode it like a maniac. it's still around somewhere, taking scarfies to uni. too easy to ride - electric start, good weather protection, reliable as, NO maintenannce, 100km/h. not sure why i sold it really, it was easier than cranking the rs up for a quick trip to the shops.....(and no i didn't upgrade from the cs to the rs either, there's a 15 year separation.)

MikeL
24th March 2004, 21:04
To those of you who mock the scooterists and claim not to understand why anyone would ride something so uncool when for the same money they could ride a "real" bike, well I've been having a look round the streets of Auckland and I can tell you there's a real trend here. A couple of years ago I would have estimated the ratio of scooters to motorbikes at about 1 to 4. Now it seems more like 1 scooter to 2 bikes especially in the CBD. And the people on them are a real cross-section: just as likely to be middle-aged as varsity students. So I reckon the move to 2 wheels (which makes a lot of sense given Auckland's traffic and parking problems) has not created more "bikers" in the sense that many people on this forum understand or want to interpret the term, but a new type of commuter who makes the choice on purely practical grounds. I can certainly understand the attraction: for a start the scooters actually have storage compartments that will take more than just the owner's manual. And they're economical, low-maintenance, easy to ride and don't tempt you with licence-losing performance that you can't use in town anyway. If someone gave me one, I'd ride it to work...

Wenier
25th March 2004, 08:00
I have found i cant ride a scooter to woobly but thats probably me not knowing wut to do having only ridden one once. And Marty the 250s are sportsbikes they rule through some of em corners :)

Angry Puppy
25th March 2004, 08:35
Well I think scooters can be cool and If I lived closer to where I work, I'd use one.

Why don't they wear protective clothing? Well, IMO the majority of trips scooters make are probabley less than 1K or so. Now can all you lot HONESTLEY say you always get fully geared up just to pop to the shops? I doubt it!

Fazer bloke

Posh Tourer :P
25th March 2004, 10:44
My main objection to scooters is the little 50cc ones that have: 1) no storage to speak of 2) not enough power to go over 60 and thus hardly enough to go with the traffic flow ie they sit to the side getting overtaken by everyone - dangerous? 3) small wheels dangerous on rough/potholed roads eg Aucklands 4) not enough road presence to make people realise you are actually a road user like the rest of the cages are - also dangerous

The perfect commuter and good enough to get out of town occasionally? 1980's 250. They are probably the best compromise (eg my old MZ ETZ 250.... rockin!)

Motoracer
25th March 2004, 11:27
My main objection to scooters is the little 50cc ones that have: 1) no storage to speak of 2) not enough power to go over 60 and thus hardly enough to go with the traffic flow ie they sit to the side getting overtaken by everyone - dangerous? 3) small wheels dangerous on rough/potholed roads eg Aucklands 4) not enough road presence to make people realise you are actually a road user like the rest of the cages are - also dangerous

The perfect commuter and good enough to get out of town occasionally? 1980's 250. They are probably the best compromise (eg my old MZ ETZ 250.... rockin!)

1)My Suzuki Sepia 50 cc scooter had enough storage to hold a helmet under the seat (when the helmet wasn't in there, I have put a big battrie for my van, shoes/jacket/gloves/towel at the same time and then there was the front compartment for little valuable bits and pieces like your wallet phone then behind that, just infront of where the legs went, it had big pouch for hell of a lot of things and (yes there is still more) it had hooks in the right places to hang your grocery bags from.

2)50cc scooters are only ment for 50k, so whats the point of going more than 60k unless you want to get a ticket while going down to the dairy to get some milk. If you really want to go more than that, it can easily modified to go 70K max on a straight and 90K down hill. I found that getting a scooter was the best cure for me as I had lost my licence due to speeding prior to that. From personal experience I have found that most people didn't mind sitting behind me when I was going 60k on a 50k zone.

3)Small wheels I agree with. They can be a pain when going over pot holes etc. Theres no getting around that problem.

4)I choped off the end of my pipe to make it louder (and louder it was), so every one heard me comming. I had a race pipe on its way from overseas so I could have a good compermise with safety and performance. I had put high output halogen bulb on mine so the headlight was bright as.

Around town, after haveing ridden 250-1000cc motorcycles, I reckon 50cc are more practical by miles! The biggest factor leading to this opinion of mine would be the fact that I could put all of my gear away inside the scooter and walk away.

KATWYN
25th March 2004, 12:29

Gee thanks - I'm in that catagory.

Why are they w******s? There must be a good reason you have said this,
otherwise you "would be dissing another persons ride" so how come??

Motu
25th March 2004, 13:25
Gee thanks - I'm in that catagory.

Why are they w******s? There must be a good reason you have said this,
otherwise you "would be dissing another persons ride" so how come??

It's a guy thing - anyone who has a faster bike or is a better rider is a wanker,no ifs or buts,it's a fact.

Scooters get off the mark real quick,our Nifty Fifty shop hack would pull the front wheel up on take off - used for blatting down to the shops,picking up small parts,we used it a lot.I carried a car battery in the front basket of my FA50 once,kinda scary on the gravel.It's great being able to use one hand too - once when carrying a chainsaw on my C50 minus leg sheilds on a steep rutted up hill gravel corner I knocked the top off the spark plug - then I had to ride with one foot as well,using my heel to hold it together! One I used to like riding was water cooled and had a foot opperated power valve - cool machines scoots.

Jackrat
25th March 2004, 15:37
For somebody from as small a fringe group as bikers to knock anothers ride it just playing into the hands of those that would like to see all bikes off the roads.Not to mention,insulting,arrogant,plain bloody stupid.
The first bike I ever rode was a scooter,still look back on it with a BIG smile.
Some of you people should get over yourselfs.
Scoots rock. :banana:

bungbung
25th March 2004, 16:12
Scooters are cool.

I've had a string of scoots I've found here and there. For laugh out loud fun in the City, they're excellent. In fact, I may have to go and get another now.

Motoracer
25th March 2004, 16:23
Is that a pic of one of your scoots as your avatar?

Two Smoker
25th March 2004, 16:30
What is up with other people not liking certain bikes?? For instance i dont mock people's bikes... (with the exception of Lead Wings and the occassional Harley) I ride both a Sports bike (if you can call it that...) and a slow hunk called a CT110 to me it doesnt matter if you ride a scooter or a Gixxer Thou or a Cruiser, you caan't be called a wanker for riding a certain bike, but you can be with certain types of personalities.... hehehe

James Deuce
25th March 2004, 16:39
The Wife and I went all over Nth Stradbroke Island on nifty 50s when we were there for our honeymoon. They were great for the first week, then some Japanese tourists rented them for a day, and they all came back bent. One of them had the front wheel facing completely the wrong way. It was more stable that way.

25th March 2004, 18:15
1)My Suzuki Sepia 50 cc scooter had enough storage to hold a helmet under the seat (when the helmet wasn't in there, I have put a big battrie for my van, shoes/jacket/gloves/towel at the same time and then there was the front compartment for little valuable bits and pieces like your wallet phone then behind that, just infront of where the legs went, it had big pouch for hell of a lot of things and (yes there is still more) it had hooks in the right places to hang your grocery bags from.

2)50cc scooters are only ment for 50k, so whats the point of going more than 60k unless you want to get a ticket while going down to the dairy to get some milk. If you really want to go more than that, it can easily modified to go 70K max on a straight and 90K down hill. I found that getting a scooter was the best cure for me as I had lost my licence due to speeding prior to that. From personal experience I have found that most people didn't mind sitting behind me when I was going 60k on a 50k zone.

3)Small wheels I agree with. They can be a pain when going over pot holes etc. Theres no getting around that problem.

4)I choped off the end of my pipe to make it louder (and louder it was), so every one heard me comming. I had a race pipe on its way from overseas so I could have a good compermise with safety and performance. I had put high output halogen bulb on mine so the headlight was bright as.

Around town, after haveing ridden 250-1000cc motorcycles, I reckon 50cc are more practical by miles! The biggest factor leading to this opinion of mine would be the fact that I could put all of my gear away inside the scooter and walk away.

Fair enough Motoracer, you've put me right on a few points.... However, I still see many 50cc scooters making like a bicycle, and doing 45-50 along the very left of the lane - hence my point about power.
I concede the storage point (never owned or been very upclose to one).
I dont think that a brighter headlight and a louder exhaust can make up for a lack of height and size ie road presence (almost a "look out I'll damage you if I hit you" thing) that makes other road users respect you a little more and give you more room.
Having read the rest of he posts in this thread tho, I probably have a little more appreciation of why someone would get a scooter....
I'm not against scooters, I'd just persuade people to get a motorbike for it's versatility in areas that arent solely round town commuting. Ie weeknd trips etc. If people want to get a scooter thats fine with me, the more people on two wheels the better

KATWYN
25th March 2004, 18:31
It's a guy thing - anyone who has a faster bike or is a better rider is a wanker,no ifs or buts,it's a fact.

I will never understand how guys think.

I suppose its that kind of (testosterone driven) thinking that kick started the invention of the wheel and technology thereafter.

What would a girl be riding without it? shank's pony no doubt huh? No scooters, no R6's no bicycles, no cruisers....no wars :msn-wink:

Motu
25th March 2004, 20:54
The way I think is that life shouldn't be taken too seriously - nor should my words.

MadDuck
25th March 2004, 21:22
lol...my first ever bike was a Honda Nifty 50. Used to ride it to tech in all weathers and it was just a blast! Rubbish bag on when it rained and skirt when going somewhere nice :D used to get up to 100kms if there was a tail wind.
Put that poor ole thing under a bus back in the 80's as I thought if I went as fast as I could I could beat it round the roundabout. Oh and Nylon stockings leave horrible scars by the way :sly:

DebK
26th March 2004, 17:47
Yeah! Finally some positive scoot comments in here (that aren't being made by Motu & me).

James Deuce
26th March 2004, 19:04
I will never understand how guys think.

That's OK! We fellas don't understand how women think, so it's even then!

KATWYN
26th March 2004, 20:54
That's OK! We fellas don't understand how women think, so it's even then!

That was just my thoughts....I was thinking/writing out loud :shutup:
its all quite fascinating really.

James Deuce
26th March 2004, 21:01
That was just my thoughts....I was thinking/writing out loud :shutup:
its all quite fascinating really.

He who gets to the food fastest, and kills it deadest, gets the best chicks.

Which describes the point that the male of species has gotten to on the evolutionary (apologies to creationists) scale rather adequately I think.

Its a shame really, as we really could be so much more. :innocent:

Urban Terrorist
27th March 2004, 00:11
I ride one around Mt Maunganui 6 days a week for a job and I think they're great for urban use. Mine is a 125 4 stroke, will reach 100 and run all day at 80 loaded up. I couldn't imagine a better bike for city use. I do wear full gear,even if I get funny looks (the flouro mohawk helps).
As to the stability, nice relatively wide 12inch wheels on newer scoots help a lot, good tyres are affordable, even really good ones are cheap at $85 - 90. With a nice front disc I can stop pretty quick when I need to. I sit up nice and high, looking over cars and eye to eye with most 4WD drivers. Petrol costs around $3.50 a day for 110 km.
For those that feel the need to look down on others for not riding an "approved" bike, thanks, I'll direct my efforts to those who just love riding.
:scooter:

27th March 2004, 09:11
* retracts any previous derogatory comments about scooters in the face of some well thought out replies*

Still wouldnt buy one for reasons of wheel size (and in the case of 50cc ones, less height than I'm used to), but a lot more respect for all scooter riders...

6Chris6
27th March 2004, 20:53
I learnt to ride in England and when your 16 the biggest bike you can get is 49cc then when your 17 you can then get a 125cc (oooh the power). I started off on a Suzuki TS50ER and put a 65cc big bore kit on it (again oooooh the power) but after i blew it up (twice) got a honda C50 stepthrough and loved it scooters rock!
:grouphug: to all 2 wheelers!

MadDuck
27th March 2004, 22:13
Let yourself go ...lmao. We all ride diff sized beasts for different reasons.

I have been made to feel less of a biker because I ride a 250 (damn or is it for other reasons - I will try to grow tall) and it dont seem to matter how big the beast gets theres always a bigger and better version. Consumerism works and lives.

I had a hoot on the scoots and only cost $3 to fill the sucker up! For two weeks riding. Its got to better than any cage after all ???

Got me a few drunk pillions back then too who thought it sexy to go on the back of the scoot - god remember when there was no such thing as checkpoints?

27th March 2004, 23:31
Got me a few drunk pillions back then too who thought it sexy to go on the back of the scoot - god remember when there was no such thing as checkpoints?

did you get to pick and choose your pillions? :rockon: :Punk:

Yeah I remember being on the old MZ.... looked weird, 250 single with huge cooling fins, sounded like nothing else, and probably smoked like anything too.... great fun, a "real" motorcycle if ever there was one :P, squeezed a 400-18 on the rear, and a 3.25-18 front, power down well, handled pretty good... solid wee bike... Dodgy electrics..... went through 2 coils in 2 years... ok one was shot when i got it and the other I overtightened the bracket, cracked the outer slightly and got minor water leakage = intermittent problem :argh: Had to carry a spare spark plug around just in case the old one got fouled up... Of course with the dodgy coil and headlight on (and before i get hauled up the battery wasnt the best either), it did about 12km per spark plug...Sanded the "contacts" down and cleaned them up with acetone, back in as good as new.... gotta love old crappy bikes....

I felt like a real biker on it though... its all about how you carry yourself... If people want to look down on you, wave to the next person you see... eventually you'll find an unbiased someone... I've even had a guy on a beemer (like mine now) lanesplit to come and find out what the hell I was riding...

Moral of the story, no matter what you ride you'll get mixed response... look on the bright side and dont be scared to defend your ride to anyone (i'm quite happy to argue the merits of it all)

MZ: random pics - mine had no sidecar, but best pic at short notice

Menial
20th May 2004, 23:25
.....Onehunga .... :p
Onehunga WOOP WOOP WOOP!!!! :Punk:

Warren
21st May 2004, 02:31
My mum got a 2002 suzuki 50cc katana. She uses it to travel to work and back (across town). Althrough I have only driven it once here are some of the things I liked about it.

1. It is extremly easy to drive.
2. There is a lot of luggage space under the seat (fits 1 helmet) and up the front.
3. It handles city traffic no sweat. Acclerates to 70kph quickly (performed rather similar to my 1984 honda lead NH80).
4. fat tyres, disc brakes and always-on front light.

It came with an exaust restrictor to keep it to 2kw but this was quickly removed at it's first service. the law is 2kw and 50cc max.

:scooter:

airplane
21st May 2004, 07:22
I agree with George. I once borrowed a Yamaha T-Max from Sawyers when I took my bike in for service. The T-Max was great (once you got used to having brakes operated from the 'clutch' handlebar!).

If I lived in downtown Wellington, I'd have one for sure.

I'd also go for reasonable gear - a less sports-oriented jacket, Draggins and some sturdy footwear that is above the ankle.

Plenty of reviews in the bike mags shower much praise on these two wheelers that are part of our fraternity.

toads
21st May 2004, 16:14
I agree with you Zed, definately true, I notice a lot of kids riding scooters to and from school just don't think it's any different to riding a pushbike, jandals, barefeet, t-shirts etc in summer, still they will only bin off once like that and afterwards will definately decide to gearup properly, I also note they often ride in the cycle lanes too though so probably feel safer, this has its downfall once they get to an intersection though.

21st May 2004, 17:21
Maybe some scooter riders dont feel like a real part of the traffic, but I see many hard over on the left, or in bicycle lanes. I would suggest that this is maybe more dangerous than taking your own spot on the road, as long as you are doing 55-60kmh.... Its just inviting people to overtake you while trying to stay in thier own lane. I have found this with a bicycle too. If I'm doing 50-60, I will be out in the lane proper, not over on the left....

pete376403
21st May 2004, 20:56
If lots more people rode scooters in the city, we'd probably (hopefully) have car drivers more like those in Europe, who started out riding scoots and even after graduating to cars, are still aware of the scoots and bigger bikes. We'd also have a shitload less traffic congestion, easier parking, possibly even a better economy due to the better fuel mileage.
I rememer reading Gowanlochs column in Streetbike, about his time living in Naples. Traffic congestion was so bad that cars were banned from the city centre, but scooter riders were free to come and go as they pleased

Hitcher
24th May 2004, 20:39
The only oncoming vehicle observed between Hanmer and the Lewis Pass on Saturday morning (in the pissing rain) was, A SCOOTER!! Woo hoo!! At a guess I'd sex it as a Suzuki Escudo 250. Big friendly wave from the rider too!

tuscan
25th May 2004, 07:51
Don't know if anyone is still reading this, but I ride a scooter to uni every day. :scooter:

I know it is slow, has shitty brakes, skinny tyres on tiny wheels etc. etc. but I enjoy riding it :2thumbsup It's only a 50cc but I have no probs keeping up with the city traffic.

I ride it rain, hail or shine...although having said that it's pretty dicey in the wet.

I bought my scooter, only 8 months old, for $1400, and have since done 6000 absolutely trouble free kilometres on it since. 5 bucks petrol lasts me a week and rego is only 80 for the year.

Anyway I have been now inspired to get a motorbike but I will not forget the awesome convenience of my scooter. :ride:

They're not that bad! :niceone:

colasnake
25th May 2004, 14:57
true! my sister own a Suzuki QJ50
a great transport in Auckland City! :killingme

Motoracer
25th May 2004, 15:12
Since it's been ages since I last had my 50cc Suzuki scooter, I guess its ok to confess that I had low sided it 4 times going around corners and had one speed wobble crash after I landed wheelie wrong. My bro also low sided it once.

Apart from the crashes, I did have tons of spectacular near miss moments from going sideways.

Good low speed fun them things... I might sell the TZR and get another scooter acutally...

duckman
25th May 2004, 15:12
Don't know if anyone is still reading this, but I ride a scooter to uni every day. :scooter:

I know it is slow, has shitty brakes, skinny tyres on tiny wheels etc. etc. but I enjoy riding it :2thumbsup It's only a 50cc but I have no probs keeping up with the city traffic.

I ride it rain, hail or shine...although having said that it's pretty dicey in the wet.

I bought my scooter, only 8 months old, for $1400, and have since done 6000 absolutely trouble free kilometres on it since. 5 bucks petrol lasts me a week and rego is only 80 for the year.

Anyway I have been now inspired to get a motorbike but I will not forget the awesome convenience of my scooter. :ride:

They're not that bad! :niceone:
And thats exactly what they are built for. Perfect!!!

DebK
28th May 2004, 19:12
Leave the forums for a while (very busy at the mo) and suddenly there are positive comments on this thread. Cool. Glad to read it.

My scoot has to go to the shop tomorrow (Richards Motorcycles in Johnsonville) as the fan is coming on often and the water temp light lit up briefly today. Uh oh... might just find out how expensive imported Italian bits are now :(

merv
28th May 2004, 19:18
You've been busy doing pretty well from what we hear Deb.

DebK
28th May 2004, 19:26
Hey Merv,

Doin' okay but can always do better, huh. Head to Invercargill next week for Southland Rally and am rearing to go.

Hope the scoot is okay though...

scumdog
29th May 2004, 00:06
And thats exactly what they are built for. Perfect!!!

Yer all full of shit - it's STYLE that counts and you can't get better style than a tassled jacket, steel cap boots, black open face helmet, fingerless gloves and if that's what you wear when on your scooter then you're OK by me!!!! :scooter:

dhunt
29th May 2004, 13:19
What about crashes I think you would be a lot better off on a bike than a scooter. Larger weight and heigher up and more between you and what you hit.

Also I travel to Massey here in Palmy and there's this 70k area that you have to go through which most scooters can't reach that speed. This is quite dangerous as lots of cage drivers zip past very closely to them at 20k+ over most of the scooters speed. I think I would be too scared to ride a scooter, its a wonder there aren't more accidents.

David

James Deuce
29th May 2004, 13:26
What about crashes I think you would be a lot better off on a bike than a scooter. Larger weight and heigher up and more between you and what you hit.

Also I travel to Massey here in Palmy and there's this 70k area that you have to go through which most scooters can't reach that speed. This is quite dangerous as lots of cage drivers zip past very closely to them at 20k+ over most of the scooters speed. I think I would be too scared to ride a scooter, its a wonder there aren't more accidents.

David

The last place I want to be when I crash is anywhere near my bike or scooter for that matter.

DebK's scooter would pretty close in performance to your NV400 too, so not all scooters are 50cc models that can't do 70k.

If car drivers can't moderate their behaviour around other road users then I would suggest that would be a good example of bad driving, rather than scooters being inappropriate transport in a largely flat university town.

wkid_one
29th May 2004, 15:04
It will also only be a matter of time before of 1000cc scoot comes out.....

tuscan
29th May 2004, 15:06
Most scooters are slow, with shitty brakes, bouncy suspension and skinny tyres. :doh: Otherwise ALL GOOD! :banana:

Ah well, I've had mine for over a year and haven't come off it yet (touch wood), although my little brother has. :Oops:

Still, if you're careful, beats the bus any day! :2thumbsup
And the underseat storage is choice :yes:

Getting a real bike, with manual gears and everything ( :D ) soon... :cool:

avgas
16th September 2004, 17:05
Sorry to those of you who arent but i just noticed a few things and id thought i better set things right.

a) i had 1 accident off road at about 10K, into a tree - since then i have always worn a GOOD helmet. If u have a $20 head buy a $20 helmet

b) Those super funny looking bight leathers do a job, they make you get SEEN!!!
6 months ago, after completely fixing up my cafe' Racer single, i was takin out (i was doing 30K, he T'd me at about 20k) on my way into uni but someone who didnt SEE ME!!! I can no longer run anymore than about 100m without collapsing in pain cos i have a titanium rod holding my shattered tibia together. There is nothing they can do with my nerve damage though. So all of you who thinks its a bad idea can bite me

c) I dont care if they ride a scooter or a Harley - if you do more than about 5ks you need protective gear - cos when someone takes you out it doesn matter a fudge wot speed you were doing.

scumdog
16th September 2004, 17:11
Damn tootin' right, I am petrified if I haven't been for a ride for a while and think of all the potential crashes I could have that are not my fault, it's a scary world out there and you have to do your best NOT to crash - and be protected if you do!!

texmo
16th September 2004, 17:12
Sorry to those of you who arent but i just noticed a few things and id thought i better set things right.

a) i had 1 accident off road at about 10K, into a tree - since then i have always worn a GOOD helmet. If u have a $20 head buy a $20 helmet

b) Those super funny looking bight leathers do a job, they make you get SEEN!!!
6 months ago, after completely fixing up my cafe' Racer single, i was takin out (i was doing 30K, he T'd me at about 20k) on my way into uni but someone who didnt SEE ME!!! I can no longer run anymore than about 100m without collapsing in pain cos i have a titanium rod holding my shattered tibia together. There is nothing they can do with my nerve damage though. So all of you who thinks its a bad idea can bite me

c) I dont care if they ride a scooter or a Harley - if you do more than about 5ks you need protective gear - cos when someone takes you out it doesn matter a fudge wot speed you were doing.

Thats what your doing wrong you think cars cant see you..... THEY CANT. No matter what people dont see you weather your on a bike or scooter even if you have fluro orange leathers...... you need to have eyes for the cages as well as your self..