PDA

View Full Version : just bought a kdx250 1996

adamt
11th November 2005, 21:04
hey guys,

just bought me a kdx250 1996 (i think) model just wondering what kinda maintenance should i carry out on the bike so i know where its at, gearbox oil change etc ? and what kinda oils would i use and how much etc just basic maintenance info thanks

adam

Motu
11th November 2005, 21:29
Welcome,and I hope you have a lot of fun on the new (old) bike.The KDX250 was a bit detuned from the 200 to get a wider spread of power.Change your gearbox and fork oils,and your coolant,is it injected or premix? I think these may of been street legal,so could have a pump.You can get fancy bike gearbox oils,but engine oil,10-30 is usualy recomended,but I often use ATF....same with the forks,just change the oil to ATF,see how it feels and use a thicker or thinner oil to get to where you want it.Power valves are a KDX maintanence issue,strip and check - they seize and strip rack gears.Fit a new plug and go try it out.Use the best oil you can get and mix at 40 or 50 to one.

adamt
12th November 2005, 20:55
hey cool thanks for the info! wheres a good article on general bike maintenance? as i'm fairly new to bikes! thanks

spiller
14th November 2005, 10:42
hey cool thanks for the info! wheres a good article on general bike maintenance? as i'm fairly new to bikes! thanks

The best thing to do is go out and buy a Clymer or Haynes manual for your bike. It will cover more than enough for maintenance. They are a really good reference to have.

Also, have a read here, some of its old/off topic but a good read anyway. http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/

F5 Dave
14th November 2005, 11:36
I thought the KDX250 was much older. The KDX 220 was the newer version & based on the 200. Check the date code on the rims.

Basically the things likely to go wrong on an old KDX are the powervalves which need to be cleaned every so often or they will seize & strip, & the rear suspension linkage. Great bikes though.

try here for info
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

adamt
15th November 2005, 05:51
how do you celan powervalves what are they ?

F5 Dave
15th November 2005, 09:51
Check the website I posted, it will have most answers.