PDA

View Full Version : making Money

Coldkiwi
7th February 2003, 11:41
Gidday,

I'm hoping this might get read by people with a bit moe experience in dealing/selling/buying bikes than myself, so if that's you, i'd love to hear your thoughts.

In the interests of loosing my licence, i'm getting a bigger bike. (this is what everyone tells me anyway)

Of course I now need to sell the trusty 250 to make room for the new one.
I've been advertising it for a week or so now and (possibly the time of year) haven't had too many bites, but while talking to a friend the other day, got given the suggestion of starting a mini-wreckers and selling it as parts.

I know fairings etc can be worth a stack but does that seem like it would actually give me a better return than selling it as is?

Any advice greatly appreciated

cheers!
:banana:

wkid_one
10th February 2003, 12:52
It is a good idea - but you would need to know the following:

- how common is your bike - the more common it is the cheaper the parts and you won't get a premium for them. Hondas for example a bloody expensive for OEM parts. Also the more people that have them as learner bikes the more likely you are to find buyers

- where there is many of them presently in wreckers etc - as this will affect your ability to sell the parts

- what you are going to price the parts at and what you break even point is - you don't want to be left with bits of a bike you can't sell but still have made less than if you sold the bike as a whole.

- How to reach your market - look in the T&E under the wanted sections to see if anyone is looking for parts for your bike.

I would say it is generally easier to sell the bike as a whole as it only involves one sale, not lots of little ones - plus you know how much you are getting, selling it in parts can result in you losing money. It is a case of the sum of the whole being worth what???

Hope this helps

You could try getting a bike shop to sell on behalf, I did this with my 250 and came out with more cash than if I would have sold it privately. Plus, the new owner got the warranty and finance options as well which I couldn't offer by selling privately.

Cheers

Coldkiwi
10th February 2003, 16:31
thanks for that.

I have considered letting a dealer sell it but I had assumed that it always result in a large reduction in the money I took in, so maybe I need to think a bit harder on that one.

I had feared that selling parts may be more hassles than its worth so I may cross that off as an option (and i don't really want to break it all up!)

thanks again