PDA

View Full Version : gearbox oil creamy white?

adamt
12th November 2005, 20:51
hey guys just noticed my kdx250's gearbox oil is like creamy white has had water mixed in with it but unsure how, checked the radiator and thats really clean and green not low at all so doesnt look as if its leaking into it but i dont really know much about bikes what could make this happen ? thanks

sels1
12th November 2005, 20:59
hey guys just noticed my kdx250's gearbox oil is like creamy white has had water mixed in with it but unsure how, checked the radiator and thats really clean and green not low at all so doesnt look as if its leaking into it but i dont really know much about bikes what could make this happen ? thanks

Creamy does sound like some water has mixed in. Give it an oil change and see what happens.

k14
12th November 2005, 21:32
My rs's gearbox oil is always that color. Think its mainly from the clutch fibres etc. Water can't actually "mix" with the oil, but it could be in it. If you leave the container overnight all the water should settle on the top. Then you should be able to tell if its leaking water.

If the radiator water level isn't going down and it isn't murky it shouldn't be much to worry about. As i said, its most likley the crap from the clutch.

Korumba
12th November 2005, 21:38
The Oil in my trail bikes would allways have water in it after deep river crossings and allways on drowing them..change the Oil!!

Motu
12th November 2005, 22:04
Fairly common on a dirt bike,when the hot motor hits water it cools and sucks water in through the seals,the water turns the oil creamy.Some people change their oil after every ride,not a bad idea if you are near water a lot....I used to change my 2 stroke trials bikes oil and strip the brakes after every trial,just part of the fun,learning about your bike.

adamt
12th November 2005, 22:05
sweet i'll do that then! so i hear ATF oil is sweet for gearboxes ? thats the automatic car gearbox oil correct ? i've got some of the mobil stuff red in colour ?

Brian d marge
13th November 2005, 01:47
ATF is good for a couple of races ONLY ,,1 race is the way to go but I is a cheap bugga and go for 2

I buy it in bulk ,,you can use it in the front and rear shocks to

Stephen

BTW ,,dont get the F ..as in friction modified ,,,there are 2 types of ATF ,,one good ,,one is the dark side luke

DEATH_INC.
13th November 2005, 06:36
On my old MX'ers,they usta kill the waterpump seal and let water into the box,but oil doesn't seem to go the other way.Do an oil change(throw that atf in there) and go for a good ride,then drain it again and see if it's contaminated.Avoid water crossings to eliminate that.

DEATH_INC.
13th November 2005, 06:38
Water can't actually "mix" with the oil, but it could be in it.
Um,Yes it can and does.And it will not seperate overnight either.

wil
13th November 2005, 07:55
friend of mine had this exact prob on his DT125, that was water pump seal i believe.

adamt
13th November 2005, 08:02
ATF is good for a couple of races ONLY ,,1 race is the way to go but I is a cheap bugga and go for 2

I buy it in bulk ,,you can use it in the front and rear shocks to

Stephen

BTW ,,dont get the F ..as in friction modified ,,,there are 2 types of ATF ,,one good ,,one is the dark side luke

hey stephen what will happen if i use the wrong stuff ? i'm sure i got the right stuff its light red in colour sliver bottle ?!

T.W.R
13th November 2005, 08:21
As per D/I water can & does mix with water, especially when its being churned up in an engine or diff ( prime example: with genuine off road 4x4s it happens a lot!). and as per a earlier reply, when the likes of a rubber seal in an engine casing or on a diff is hot it expands & when it submerged in water the sudden heat change causes fast contraction causing a vaccum thus drawing water inside. the most likely place the water has entered the engine is through the output shaft seal, the seal only has to be slightly suspect & it will draw water easy as.

ATF fluid should only be used as a once off gearbox oil, its most common or regular use in bikes is the front forks ( mainly coz of its weight & low temp retention characteristics )

kro
13th November 2005, 12:56
My brothers 84 KX250 had the same thing, but he had shat his water pump seal I think. Reasonably cheap easy fix for the semi mechanically minded.

Brian d marge
13th November 2005, 16:53
hey stephen what will happen if i use the wrong stuff ? i'm sure i got the right stuff its light red in colour sliver bottle ?!
The Clutch will slip ..There is 2 types of ATF ..one is friction modified the other isnt ..I think most of the ATF you can buy in NZ is ok to use , The F stuff was for GM or ford cars ,,,and should be marked ,,

Some one may be able to clarify this a bit more .....

Stephen

Cary
13th November 2005, 19:57
On my old MX'ers,they usta kill the waterpump seal and let water into the box,but oil doesn't seem to go the other way.Do an oil change and go for a good ride,then drain it again and see if it's contaminated.

Me, if my oil had water mixed i'd ride it back to the trailer VERY gently and fix it!

What do you think your high performance engine thinks of running bearings etc on water:doh: even a minute amount.

Chances are its the seal. Fix it.

Mattyc
16th November 2005, 07:00
Either crap from the clutch, or more likely water in there, possibly from some chode using a water blaster around the output sprocket and forcing crap/water inside

Henk
17th November 2005, 20:13
With the milky oil thing it's probably the water pump seal, you may have to replace the impellor shaft as well if that's worn. Not a big deal and shouldn't cost the earth.
As for the ATF in the gearbox. I'd stick with motul transoil or something similar in a KDX250, you're not going to gain a lot with the switch except increasing your maintenance frequency and costs.

Ivan
17th November 2005, 21:28
My rs's gearbox oil is always that color. Think its mainly from the clutch fibres etc. Water can't actually "mix" with the oil, but it could be in it. If you leave the container overnight all the water should settle on the top. Then you should be able to tell if its leaking water.

If the radiator water level isn't going down and it isn't murky it shouldn't be much to worry about. As i said, its most likley the crap from the clutch.

Serious how often do you change the oil in your RS myne always comes out looking almost new and what sort of oil are you running im using spectro clutch saver

Mattyc
18th November 2005, 06:44
Serious how often do you change the oil in your RS myne always comes out looking almost new and what sort of oil are you running im using spectro clutch saver

I used to use spectro clutch saver, but went over to castrol Atf, seems to work mint, and a shitload cheaper

Oscar
18th November 2005, 08:28
The Clutch will slip ..There is 2 types of ATF ..one is friction modified the other isnt ..I think most of the ATF you can buy in NZ is ok to use , The F stuff was for GM or ford cars ,,,and should be marked ,,

Some one may be able to clarify this a bit more .....

Stephen

Running ATF in two stroke gear boxes and in the forks used to be common.
I always wondered why, though - is it cheaper or summat?
Being as how the average motorcycle takes a relatively small amount of gearbox oil, I always use the best and change it often...

Ivan
18th November 2005, 08:49
I used to use spectro clutch saver, but went over to castrol Atf, seems to work mint, and a shitload cheaper

Was that in a RS125 I got a deal through Spectro anyway so I get it ultra cheap

Motu
18th November 2005, 09:32
Mercedes Benz were specifying ATF in manual boxes in the 60s,I thought it kinda strange at the time,but then it became more and more common.When the Ford Lazer first came out they had shift problems,and their solution was ATF.It has more in common with rotating gears and multiplate clutches than engine oil,but so long as it doesn't effect the clutch almost any oil will do,even EP diff oils work,but you can get clutch drag and slow shifts.

Actualy I've got to change the oil in my DT soon....and I don't know what I'll use,still thinking about that one.

SEAGULL
18th November 2005, 09:39
Hi Adamt, I have the same trouble with my Harley, but not in the oil. Its more in the airfilter & hoses. I think its the sludge build up from condensation in the atmosphere that builds up through heating up then cooling down. Sometimes the oil does have a white tinge to it which could also be the break down of the deposits of the oil components. There is a difference between synthetic & mineral oils in the way they react though heat and also to remember not to mix two different oil kinds.

I'm not a mechanic but I beleive this could be your problem, let me know what happens. Graham :spudbn:

k14
18th November 2005, 16:19
I normally do it once every 2 years but sometimes sooner if i feel like it.

Ivan
18th November 2005, 16:21
Yeah I really believe you there I dont think a RS will last that long before Siezing, I change myne every 2 rounds

k14
18th November 2005, 16:35
Yeah I really believe you there I dont think a RS will last that long before Siezing, I change myne every 2 rounds
Not changing the gearbox oil won't make it sieze. It will just root all of the bearings in the gearbox cavity and make gear changes very inaccurate. I change it every 2 or 3 meetings. It could have been sucking a little water through as the water pump seal was blown, just in the process of putting some new ones in. I use maxima stuff, seems to be pretty good but all the other guys use the 10w shell advance and swear by it so I will probably change to that when my current bottles run out.

Ivan
18th November 2005, 17:33
Not changing the gearbox oil won't make it sieze. It will just root all of the bearings in the gearbox cavity and make gear changes very inaccurate. I change it every 2 or 3 meetings. It could have been sucking a little water through as the water pump seal was blown, just in the process of putting some new ones in. I use maxima stuff, seems to be pretty good but all the other guys use the 10w shell advance and swear by it so I will probably change to that when my current bottles run out.

No I ment before 2 years are up the motor will have siezed yeah I use spectro

NordieBoy
20th November 2005, 20:18
Mercedes Benz were specifying ATF in manual boxes in the 60s,I thought it kinda strange at the time,but then it became more and more common.When the Ford Lazer first came out they had shift problems,and their solution was ATF.
Scott Oiler oil is ATF as well.

Long live the mighty all porpoise ATF!