PDA

View Full Version : South Island ride

Lou Girardin
23rd February 2004, 06:23
I've just got back from a week down there, what a great place. It's been 21 years since I did a tour by bike and it's still as good as I remembered.
We crossed the ditch on Sat 14th and stayed with a mate in Blenheim. Sunday morn and it's off to Nelson to drop some gear off at the in-laws place.
Then, Wayne and his '78 beemer, who had been moaning that we'd leave him for dead, pissed off. Bugger, he can ride and knows the roads too.
The roads are magic, almost no traffic and well surfaced fast sweepers with the odd tight stuff thrown in.
!st night in Westport, dinner at the Irish bar, pork roast and 3 veg = $11.95, 2 beers $6.30. Damn near what you pay for a latte and muffin in Auck.
Next morning it was off to Greymouth and over the Arthurs Pass. Hordes of Hardleys heading north from their rally down south. Just as well most of them don't wave, we would have had really sore arms.
From Arthurs Pass on, the scenery takes your breath away. Around every corner is another snow topped mountain or braided river. Amazing.
We had intended to stay at Amberly. But we got there early, so Wayne thought he'd head back home to catch Billy Connelly and we decided to try to get to Nelson over the Lewis pass. This was an even better road than Arthurs, but the scenery wasn't as good. So, 350km's and 3 1/4 hours later we were almost at Richmond. Except, that my genius riding buddy didn't take the '214km to Nelson' sign seriously when we gassed up at Springs Junction and only put 10 dollars in. One quaint feature of rural Sth Island is that gas stations shut around 6.00PM. After running on fumes for 10km's, we found a card pump. 18.6 litres in an 18 liter tank! Finally home, there were more rides to tell, but I'm late for work.
Lou

Hitcher
23rd February 2004, 10:12
You're just whetting my appetite Lou! Mrs H and I have two weeks booked from 5 March. We're on the Bluebridge on Sunday 7 and from there have no firm plans. The West Coast is a must -- particularly a run up to Karamea. So too central Otago. Otherwise we'll make the decision whether we go clockwise or anticlockwise once we get a look at the weather forecast...

duckman
23rd February 2004, 10:55
You're just whetting my appetite Lou! Mrs H and I have two weeks booked from 5 March. We're on the Bluebridge on Sunday 7 and from there have no firm plans. The West Coast is a must -- particularly a run up to Karamea. So too central Otago. Otherwise we'll make the decision whether we go clockwise or anticlockwise once we get a look at the weather forecast...
See ya down there Mr H, I'm crossing the watery bit on the 7th and I've got about 8 days in the south. :lol:

Lou Girardin
23rd February 2004, 18:09
Hitcher, try the inland route to the dams, Lindis pass, etc. I think it's more interesting than the coast road. have a good ride.
Lou

merv
23rd February 2004, 18:21
South Island is great. Upper Buller Gorge down to Inangahua is a favourite of mine, likewise all the roads around there like lower Buller, coast road to Grey from Westport, plus inland routes to Springs Junction and Reefton. I also enjoy the passes especially Lindis - how's the cop quota down there these days? Haast Pass is magic past the two lakes on to Makarora and then over the pass to Haast and the ride up to Franz is heaven. Even Crown Range road is great on a road bike these days as its been sealed for a few years now likewise the trip round the lake from Queenstown to Glenorchy. Basically you can't go wrong, the roads are fun with less traffic than you get in the North.

Kickaha
23rd February 2004, 18:53
If anyone heading south wants a place to stay pm me I am just out of Christchurch and have a spare room and bed.

dangerous
23rd February 2004, 20:20
If any of you guys that are comming down this way have any questions about which route to take then just ask, and as you come of the motorway into ChCh don't forget to toot at the 6th house on ya left :apint:

Duckman try and get away sooner cos on the 6-7 march is the biggest SI rally at Waimate called the March Hair and that goes for you to Hitcher

750Y
23rd February 2004, 21:10
If any of you guys that are comming down this way ... and as you come of the motorway into ChCh don't forget to toot at the 6th house on ya left :apint:

blow that, pick up a dozen cold reds and bowl on in there, they need some decent beer down those parts, trust me i was forced to drink CD last week in CHCH, not a pretty sight but better than speights. Drink speights..got no mates. :bleh:

Lou Girardin
24th February 2004, 05:45
Our trip was almost totally cop - free. Saw one north of Greymouth, he didn't even check me. Saw another between Oxford and Amberly, but got a warning well before he saw us. But this isn't normal, last time down there I saw packs of the critters.
Lou

LB
24th February 2004, 18:00
Great report Lou, I love reading about the Sth Island - it brings back nothing but wonderful memories of my own rides!! Agree with all the others re the good roads.

Pickle
24th February 2004, 20:37
See ya down there Mr H, I'm crossing the watery bit on the 7th and I've got about 8 days in the south. :lol:

We are taking a week off and crossing the ditch on the 3rd April, heading to Hokitika then onto Queenstown, Te Anau and Doubtful Sound. Looking forward to the great roads and hospitality. Going to catch up with some mates doing the Gypsy Tour in Queenstown. Looking forward to the Buller gorge and the whole West Coast.Does anyone know if the Catlins are completely sealed yet? :ride: Will be in ChCh Sat of Easter and possibly the Fri
Is that bastard cop still hanging around Cheviot revenue raising?

LB
24th February 2004, 20:42
We are taking a week off and crossing the ditch on the 3rd April, heading to Hokitika then onto Queenstown, Te Anau and Doubtful Sound. Looking forward to the great roads and hospitality. Going to catch up with some mates doing the Gypsy Tour in Queenstown. Looking forward to the Buller gorge and the whole West Coast.Does anyone know if the Catlins are completely sealed yet? :ride: Will be in ChCh Sat of Easter and possibly the Fri
About this time last year the Catlins still had quite a bit of gravel. Some of the e-riders went through in the pissing down rain, the gravel had only been re-laid a day or two earlier, and a Big Mack came barrelling up behind them and sat right up their dates till they could find a reasonable place to pull over.

Give me the tarmac any day......

Don't know about the Cheviot cop, but I never take any chances round that area, even 20 years after I last knew for certain that he was still there!! (he must be related to the one who used to live at Waverley!)

Kickaha
24th February 2004, 20:47

We saw three between the Conway and Cheviot coming back from a trail ride a couple of weeks ago,but there had been a fatal round the Bluffs.

Cop in Cheviot a few years ago let two of us off a 125kmh ticket,with just a little talk and told to slow down.

dangerous
25th February 2004, 18:08

Ohhh yeh...... the problem is he got wet, and multiplied on avarage 5 between Picton and ChCh this does not include the camera van and Laser gun Who I might add hides in the bush believe me! I was done (in my truck)while passing a car 10 at night on the only SAFE straight north of Kaikoura (Clarance)
You should be safeish on the west coast but if you are comming back up the east coast then dont push it.

igor
1st March 2004, 16:11
I've just got back from a week down there, what a great place. It's been 21 years since I did a tour by bike and it's still as good as I remembered.
We crossed the ditch on Sat 14th and stayed with a mate in Blenheim. Sunday morn and it's off to Nelson to drop some gear off at the in-laws place.
Then, Wayne and his '78 beemer, who had been moaning that we'd leave him for dead, pissed off. Bugger, he can ride and knows the roads too.
Lou

thats not Nanny Brock ya talkin about is it

wkid_one
1st March 2004, 17:12
and a Big Mack came barrelling up behind them
I thought big macs only came in one size? Or did they upsize?

Jackrat
1st March 2004, 17:44
Cool ride report Lou,I'm heading down that way once winter really gets here.
plan on seeing as much of the west coast as pos' then leaving bike at the eagle hotel in bluff and heading over to stew' island for three weeks on the west coast.Hopefully the weather will be good on the way down,an then stormy when I get to the island,an then good again on the way back.
One can dream huh :whistle:

Lou Girardin
1st March 2004, 18:49
Why stormy on the Island? The bind moggles.
Lou

Lou Girardin
1st March 2004, 18:50
That's him, where did nanny come from?
Lou

Kickaha
1st March 2004, 19:23
Cool ride report Lou,I'm heading down that way once winter really gets here.
plan on seeing as much of the west coast as pos' then leaving bike at the eagle hotel in bluff and heading over to stew' island for three weeks on the west coast.Hopefully the weather will be good on the way down,an then stormy when I get to the island,an then good again on the way back.
One can dream huh :whistle:

Excellent destination,I have only spent a couple of days down there riding the Darmah I used to have around the few km of road they have on Stewart Island at the first Rakuria Sunset rally,very nice place.

If you get the time call in on the way back up!

Jackrat
1st March 2004, 20:12
Excellent destination,I have only spent a couple of days down there riding the Darmah I used to have around the few km of road they have on Stewart Island at the first Rakuria Sunset rally,very nice place.

If you get the time call in on the way back up!

Will do that.
The reason for the weather reqiurements on the island is because the storms drive the marine mammals on to shore,and also during winter is when the large male Sperm whales are in the area.I am going to photograph some of the sea lions and also collect Storm washed Ambergriss,which is produced by the sperm whales.I spend a lot of my time collecting the stuff on west coast beaches an then selling it on to international buyers who then use it to produce the base for flash French perfumes.
BTW, I have seen a couple of pic's of a Darmah taken during one of the sunset rallys.
Must be yours huh! :niceone:

Pickle
2nd March 2004, 18:59

Is there more than one Wayne Brock in Blenheim, I used to live next to a certain Mr Brock in Auckland many years ago & he moved to Blenheim and the last I saw of him he was riding an immaculate BMW boxer.
If it is the same one someone say Hi to him from me.

Lou Girardin
2nd March 2004, 20:30
Is there more than one Wayne Brock in Blenheim, I used to live next to a certain Mr Brock in Auckland many years ago & he moved to Blenheim and the last I saw of him he was riding an immaculate BMW boxer.
If it is the same one someone say Hi to him from me.

He's still got it. I'll mention you next time I call him.
Lou