PDA

View Full Version : Internet purchasing ?

tlronny
23rd February 2004, 13:36
Can anyone recommend some overseas websites that deal with aftermarket gear that will do VISA type transactions with a minimum of fuss !
The $US dollar at the moment is quite poor and with the prices of say motomail being too dear ! , I was thinking of looking offshore for stuff ??
:baby:

darren
23rd February 2004, 14:22
pick up a us mag
they will have loads of places with web sites that will sell
useing visa etc, or you can use TT pments.

be carefull with tax and cartage bringing in gear depending on
the value of the items, if you havent done this before

hope this helps

darren

Hoon
23rd February 2004, 15:05
Yep go hard!! I've been spending up a storm on the internet over the last few months thanks to the great $US dollar!! Everything from forged pistons to X-box accessories. Once you've found what you want to buy, just do a google search on it until you find the cheapest place that ships internationally.

As always, be careful submitting your credit card details and make sure the site looks legit/aint dodgy looking and is secure (has an https:// prefix) with an SSL cert from a reputable source i.e. securitas, verisign etc.

k14
23rd February 2004, 15:39
I just imported some spidi leathers from www.starcycle.com. they were really good and they only cost $700 all up including shipping etc. Here in the stores the model i got are around $2000.

Just make sure you check on www.customs.govt.nz to see if you have to pay and duty on the items you are importing. Also if it is worth over $400 you have to pay GST. But it will still be way cheaper than buying the stuff here.

matthewt
23rd February 2004, 16:02
I just imported some spidi leathers from www.starcycle.com. they were really good and they only cost $700 all up including shipping etc. Here in the stores the model i got are around $2000.

Hi K14,

Could you give me an idea of the shipping costs and how long it took to get here. I'm looking at a spidi textile Jacket so maybe starcycles could be the go for that.

Thanks.

wkid_one
23rd February 2004, 16:32
Don't buy in US or OZ dollars - it isn't worth the effort. Buy from the UK - the gear is much better priced and cheaper to get across to NZ

Try www.motrax.co.uk, or www.demon-tweeks.com

wkid_one
23rd February 2004, 16:33
As always, be careful submitting your credit card details and make sure the site looks legit/aint dodgy looking and is secure (has an https:// prefix) with an SSL cert from a reputable source i.e. securitas, verisign etc.
Easiest way is to make sure the padlock is locked in the bottom right hand corner of your browser

Jackrat
23rd February 2004, 17:36
Don't buy in US or OZ dollars - it isn't worth the effort. Buy from the UK - the gear is much better priced and cheaper to get across to NZ

Try www.motrax.co.uk, or www.demon-tweeks.com

Thats if they don't take your money an fuck off.
If you have any doubts go American.
Iv'e been ripped off by pom's and so have others I know.
Now I won't even think about them. :mad:

wkid_one
23rd February 2004, 17:49
Have bought ALL my gear from the UK - never had a problem one bit.

k14
23rd February 2004, 17:52
I had to pay $95 USD for P&P and it took 6 days to get here from california. That was for a pretty heavy package though. Off the top of my head it weighed 7kg or so and was a pretty big box. A textile jacket would be pretty light. I think the best way is to go on ebay and look at stuff there. I bought my leathers off there from starcycles. Try here http://listings.ebaymotors.com/aw/plistings/category34352/index.html?from=R11

I couldnt believe how fast it arrived. Took longer for something to get from chch to new plymouth than it did for something to come from the states.

750Y
23rd February 2004, 20:55
Yeah, ebay rocks, have bought stuff for the last couple years from ebay no dramas. the exchange rate is primo so go hard & always remember to check the sellers feedback. I set up a Paypal account that I hooked up to my CreditCard and I just buy whatever when I see something I need/want. I always look for the 'Buy it Now' bargains usually, they have been 90% of my purchases.(the yanks will snipe You at the last second anyhow) I only buy consumables here now like gas/tyres/oil/filter/brake/pads etc. but any parts/accessories/gear I buy from the U.S. and SAVE $$$$$. in fact I have bought so much crap now I need to attend ebayers anonymous meetings...Hi my name is... err ...750Y and i have a problem. It's been nearly 2 weeks since i bought my last item.

moko
24th February 2004, 04:46

Motrax and demon Tweeks are respected,long-established firms.Dont know about N.Z. but here if you pay by credit card and you get ripped-off then you can claim your money back from the card company,theory is that you`re actually using them as an agent so their fault.That`s Brit law so dont know how you guys stand. There are 3 main mail-order firms in the U.K.,M&P,MPS and Busters,the latter is better and almost always cheaper,if you check out there web-site there`s always some pretty good special offers too
www.busters-accessories.co.uk All 3 companies say that if they dont have what you want they`ll try and get it for you.
So who ripped you off Jackrat?I know waris had stuff from the UK and it`s turned up no problem,usually delivery is fairly quick,maybe a week or so.

cruzer
24th February 2004, 14:10
Can anyone recommend some overseas websites that deal with aftermarket gear that will do VISA type transactions with a minimum of fuss !
The $US dollar at the moment is quite poor and with the prices of say motomail being too dear ! , I was thinking of looking offshore for stuff ??
I bought a couple of items from these guys, pretty good service and less expensive (landed) than NZ.
http://www.accessoryinternational.com/index2.htm :scooter:

White trash
24th February 2004, 14:32

Don't blame ya mate! The only pom I know well is a bloody rogue!

Reckons his cam chain is rattling since I rode his bike.

If they weren't meant to rev that high they'd have a lower bloody rev limiter.
:finger:

What?
25th February 2004, 09:24
UK or USA, there's no difference. There are rogues in both, and good guys in both. Just got to use your scone a bit when buying on the net (like don't buy shit from places like Nigeria or Afghanistan) and go for the best prices. Wkid is a bit off the mark in his comments - there is no way UK prices will be lower than US for stuff made in the land of the "free", and vice-versa.

moko
25th February 2004, 19:18
UK or USA, there's no difference.

There is no way UK prices will be lower than US for stuff made in the land of the "free", and vice-versa.

Consumer rights are pretty hot in the U.K.If you`ve been stitched up,even if you`re buying from abroad then there`s plenty you can do.If you paid by card then your card company is the first place to complain to.If it`s a case of fraud then you can still complain to the Brit Police,the offence will have occurred here and therefore their business.
And.........Triumphs are cheaper in the U.S. than they are in Britain,make sense of that one.

wkid_one
25th February 2004, 19:47
Wkid is a bit off the mark in his comments - there is no way UK prices will be lower than US for stuff made in the land of the "free", and vice-versa.
Sorry What but I have researched shit loads of gear and the UK has normally been cheaper than the US. The moment is slightly diff due to the shitty economy in the US driving the dollar up disproportionate to the other currencies.

I have priced screens, helmets, accessories etc etc etc - and the UK has by far been cheaper.

US costs you SHITLOADS in postage - whereas my last package from the UK cost me five pound in postage. Many places in the US will charge you up to USD100 to ship something over here.

All has to be factored in - not just absolute price.

Deebeeriz
25th February 2004, 20:22
I have never had a cedit card ripoff problem, so taht is safe most ebays use paypal and I have read bad reports on that. western union also do a money transfer service, dear as. but postage/freight is the killer not duty gst . even though the product maybe dear in a european country the freight can be cheaper so compare both price and freight .

ManDownUnder
26th February 2004, 10:52
Hi K14,

Could you give me an idea of the shipping costs and how long it took to get here. I'm looking at a spidi textile Jacket so maybe starcycles could be the go for that.

Thanks.

Matt,

If you can order the jacket and have it shipped to a hotel in Houston, I'll collect it and bring it home for you. I'm going over end of April...

MDU

matthewt
26th February 2004, 12:49
Matt,

If you can order the jacket and have it shipped to a hotel in Houston, I'll collect it and bring it home for you. I'm going over end of April...

MDU

Thanks for the kind offer MDU. I rang the shop and the jacket I was after they didn't have in the size I need (they were having a closeout sale so it was REALLY cheap). So I decided to pick one up here.

Thanks again.

ManDownUnder
26th February 2004, 12:53
Thanks for the kind offer MDU. I rang the shop and the jacket I was after they didn't have in the size I need (they were having a closeout sale so it was REALLY cheap). So I decided to pick one up here.

Thanks again.

No worries... for what it's worth I go over semi regular so if it comes up as an option just let me know...

wkid_one
26th February 2004, 16:27
I've got a Technic one I am thinking about selling if anyone is keen

What?
27th February 2004, 09:32
...the UK has normally been cheaper than the US
Normally. Esp with European stuff... But what about US-made gear? from what (little) I have seen, US market is way cheaper for home products.

US costs you SHITLOADS in postage - whereas my last package from the UK cost me five pound in postage. Many places in the US will charge you up to USD100 to ship something over here.
Point taken Dan. I have the luxury of not needing to rely on USPS. Pomgolian post is weird - a CD costs nearly as much to post to NZ as a cadillac...