PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a RGV, need comments on what I saw

awesker
13th November 2005, 20:58
Hey, well tonight I went out with a mate whos looking at buying a 1992 RGV250 (VJ22) and I have a few questions about some of the problems I saw with it. First up was the the owner said its been sitting for a while (6 months+), so take that into account.

First problem was the one that make me cautious was the front forks, I put the front brakes on and pushed down to make sure they are nice and smooth, but as I was pushing down there was a knocking sound about half way down the forks' travel. Anyone know if this is a serious problem? Im a bit concerned with it.

Second up is the brake discs, there seems to be alot of disc remaining cause I think it needs to be ground back because it has been sitting so long its has slight surface rust and feels pitted and rough in patches. So I want to know who grinds them back, or if its not to hard if it can be done at home.

Third was the kick start, it didnt have a spring in it so there was nothing holding it up on the frame, so it could just flop down if your riding (which would be a bit shitty if you were in the twisties) so is that hard to replace or fix?

Those were the main problems with it , other were fairly minor and are results of it sitting for ages. If anyone can help me with that that would be awesome cause I dont want my mate to get a lemon.

Cheers

White trash
13th November 2005, 21:08
There's a spring loaded ball bearing that holds the kick start in pace. With lack of use and rust, it siezes. CRC. You're laughing.

Forks could do with a service. No biggy.

Brake discs get a surface coating of rust if left sitting in poor condition. Get a second hand pair or an accessory set. Once again, no biggy.

Things to ACTUALY be worried about. What are the power valve pins like? When were the rings last done? What's the gearbag like?

awesker
13th November 2005, 21:44
The guy said that he isnt all the mechanicly minded so he didnt know much about that kinda stuff, how hard would it be to take to a mechanic and they have a quick look through make sure everything is sound?
Im thinking we may have to do that, cause I dont know squat about 2smokes either :doh:

thanks for your advice too!!

White trash
13th November 2005, 21:48
Thing is, if the bike's cheap enough, that stuff is all easy to do to and relatively inexpensive. You don't need to "know" anything to do it, just buy a manual and get stuck in. Christ, I didn't even have a manual.

RGVs are the most fun you can have with your pants on.

awesker
13th November 2005, 21:50
Oh good shit! yeah, its a pretty good price too so thats not a worry, and hes got a manual .. bonus :banana:

Dadpole
13th November 2005, 22:30
Just don't be tempted to put off getting the power valve pins checked. They can make very expensive crunching noises if they fail.

FzerozeroT
14th November 2005, 07:01
the kick starter "flopping down" was that on the twisting in and out from parrallel to the frame or in the kicking down to start motion?

I'm sure that one of the aucland KBers who has a bit of experience with RGV's would be happy to cruise over and ask some pointy questions and look at the trouble spots.

BTW, if it's a grand or more it's not that good a price, I got mine with new chain/sprockets/tyres for a grand, I'm up to 3 grand by now. you need to check things like if it's a restricted model etc, otherwise you're looking at another few hundred soley for parts.

curious george
14th November 2005, 08:25
I don't finish untill late tonight, but possibly Tuesday, or Wed after lunch I could help if you wanted. 021 1645345. a TXT is fine, I can call you back, as I can't always answer the phone.

Sketchy_Racer
15th November 2005, 08:45
yea as said before it is imparitive that you pull the power valves out and inspect them as it is a common fault on these bike (actually all suzuki powervalves) they are a very quick little bike (the unresticted one) and if maintained well should go for years

cheers, Glenn

T.W.R
15th November 2005, 09:06
the kickstart is either of the 2 mentioned scenarios the locator ball ( rust siezed) or if its dropping down through it natural arc ( start swing ) its the internal spring ( either broken or someones been inside & not relocated it properly).

the knock in the forks may be because of over due servicing ( new oil) or its the headstem bearings

the disc rust is normal ( iron ) if the bike been stored somewhere where moisture could have got to it.

machining of the discs to remove pitting or grooves depends on how bad they are & how close to the wear limit the discs are & has to be done properly.

RGVs are the best toys