PDA

View Full Version : Who went to see the sinking of the Frigate

dhunt
14th November 2005, 11:44
Who was there yesturday, It looked like every man and their dog was there (saw a few people with KB stickers on their bikes). Feel sorry for all the people that turned up in their cages. We ended up going to watch it but stuffed if we were going to stick in the traffic leaving, had to make fine use of the "motorbike lanes" leaving.

Str8 Jacket
14th November 2005, 11:52
Yeah I went along. THe explosion was bigger than I thought it was gonna be which was o-for-awesome I was also surprised at how fast the ship sunk, apparently it sits at the bottm "right way up". Lucky old Kerry P (mayor) got to be the first to dive down and have a look....
And fark me the traffic was bad, I was sitting in a cage watching all the bikes go past for aaages! :angry:

Colapop
14th November 2005, 11:55
The explosion that you and Joe public saw was purely pyrotechnic for show. It went down pretty darn quick though didn't it? They worked really hard to ensure that was gonna sit upright to make it a good dive, it being so close to shore an all. It would have looked better at night or just on dusk.

Str8 Jacket
14th November 2005, 12:01
The explosion that you and Joe public saw was purely pyrotechnic for show. It went down pretty darn quick though didn't it? They worked really hard to ensure that was gonna sit upright to make it a good dive, it being so close to shore an all. It would have looked better at night or just on dusk.

But, I wasn't there with anyone called Joe :scratch:

bugjuice
14th November 2005, 12:02
no one got any pics?
i love watching big things break/sink/blow up/get squashed/something else

MrMelon
14th November 2005, 12:13
Yeah it was cool to see it go bang.. went down pretty quickly too. We saw Bungbung riding past on the mountain bike while we waited in traffic for an hour. Still rather take the car than the bike in my state yesterday!

I've got some pics at home which came out ok, but I'm sure there are plenty of better ones around on the net.

Skunk
14th November 2005, 12:26
no one got any pics?
i love watching big things break/sink/blow up/get squashed/something elseTry here:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=409776&postcount=34

bugjuice
14th November 2005, 12:31
Try here:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=409776&postcount=34
coooooooooooooooooooooool :gob:

Sparky Mark
14th November 2005, 12:40
Yeah it was cool to see it go bang.. went down pretty quickly too. We saw Bungbung riding past on the mountain bike while we waited in traffic for an hour. Still rather take the car than the bike in my state yesterday!

I've got some pics at home which came out ok, but I'm sure there are plenty of better ones around on the net.

This is pretty good. See attachment.

Better than my video, which I happily took during the explosions, listening to the thundering booms and the OOooohhhh... aaahhhhhss from the people around...
Only to discover...

in the viewfinder...

PAUSE

Bollocks! :tugger:

Still, I got most of it so all was not lost...

Deano
14th November 2005, 12:42
We saw Bungbung riding past on the mountain bike while we waited in traffic for an hour.

I went down for a squiz with a few KB'ers and the missus.

It was pretty awesome, would have been better if they had let the air force use it for practice......oh yeah, what air force.......

Traffic was horrendous and we had to squeeze past all the cars to get out, as did a few mountain bikers.

In one particularly tight spot I yelled at a mountain biker not to hit my mirror as he went past......:doh: too late. Oh well, hope your bent spokes weren't too much of a problem on the ride home. My foot had to find something to steady myself on...:blip:

bugjuice
14th November 2005, 13:03
This is pretty good. See attachment.

Better than my video, which I happily took during the explosions, listening to the thundering booms and the OOooohhhh... aaahhhhhss from the people around...
Only to discover...

in the viewfinder...

PAUSE

Bollocks! :tugger:

Still, I got most of it so all was not lost...
that's a cool clip.. did sink quick, huh?
what's the name of the song used on there btw? I like that song..

Sparky Mark
14th November 2005, 13:31
that's a cool clip.. did sink quick, huh?
what's the name of the song used on there btw? I like that song..

Yea it's pretty good. Certainly went quick, much faster than I expected, although they had cut holes in the sides so I guess thats why. Not sure what the soundtrack is. I was forwarded it my a mate at work.

dhunt
14th November 2005, 13:43
no one got any pics?
i love watching big things break/sink/blow up/get squashed/something else
I've got some pics, Haven't had a chance to look at them yet. Might upload them when I get home.

Indiana_Jones
14th November 2005, 14:28
should of used 'Nearer my God to thee' :D
That's a classic for a sinking ship

-Indy

bugjuice
14th November 2005, 14:31
should of used 'Nearer my God to thee' :D
That's a classic for a sinking ship

-Indy
cos it's crap, or goes well with sinking noises?

Riff Raff
14th November 2005, 14:34
Looks like I'm going to have to make a wee trip to Welly soon to have a squizz.

Indiana_Jones
14th November 2005, 14:34

the former :)

-Indy

bugjuice
14th November 2005, 14:45
the former :)

-Indy
dunno, never heard it (don't think)

dhunt
14th November 2005, 17:16
And here's some pics

dhunt
14th November 2005, 17:18
and a couple more

Jackrat
14th November 2005, 19:02
Happened in wellywood,another boat sank.
What's new? history repeats:blank:

jimbo600
14th November 2005, 19:31
See on tv3 news tonight there was a pack of traffic wardens issuing tickets to all the cars. What a pack of c**ts you'd think that they'd let it ride for a one off occasion. Twas a good show though. Now we have to mighty RNZNs Te Haha and Te Hoho to look after our shores all the time protected by the wondrous RNZAF with their vietnam vintage aircraft.

MOTOXXX
14th November 2005, 20:50
they should have blown it up at lyall bay. then we could of had a surf break to play on

Deano
15th November 2005, 06:00
See on tv3 news tonight there was a pack of traffic wardens issuing tickets to all the cars. What a pack of c**ts you'd think that they'd let it ride for a one off occasion.

They will have to let it ride if they issued any tickets to cars that were 'grid locked' - I mean, "I didn't park there occifer, I just couldn't move".

Wankers alright. More revenue gatherers.

magicfairy
15th November 2005, 07:43
In the Wlg Paper this morning they said it was for parking on footpaths, median strips etc. Still wankers for giving tickets, imagine - you drive all the way in from the Hutt with the kids to watch the sinking. Arrive, no where to park, what are you going to do, turn around and drive home?
I don't imagine the council did anything to ensure sufficient parking, bus services from out of town. No - much easier to do a spot of revenue gathering.
Seen in other posts - when bikers find cars in bike parks on Sundays, try to phone the council only to be told "we dont' come out on Sundays"
Looks the rules change when there is easy money to be made.
Jerks!

Zed
15th November 2005, 08:04
The article in the Herald yesterday was quite interesting, with a big colour picture (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/search/story.cfm?storyid=0004FA2D-2C5F-1377-936483027AF1010E) on the first page. They said it went down to the bottom in 1min 55secs! They even drilled some large holes in the vessel for the future diving expeditions.

Would have been a sight to see. :yes:

dhunt
15th November 2005, 08:10
They will have to let it ride if they issued any tickets to cars that were 'grid locked' - I mean, "I didn't park there occifer, I just couldn't move".

Wankers alright. More revenue gatherers.
Yeah it was definitely jammed packed, Often had to resort to the footpaths to get out and even then it was a mission as there was often cars packed in the way so had to dodge them.

Ixion
15th November 2005, 08:33
According to one theory, it is the song the band played as the Titanic sunk

Zed
15th November 2005, 08:45
According to one theory, it is the song the band played as the Titanic sunkA lot of you would be surprised how people turn to God during such tragic times as the sinking of that boat...during war is another excellent example, it's been said that the last words of many troops on the front line has been "God help me" or "Oh God", and that's non-religious men/women too.

Lou Girardin
15th November 2005, 09:43
A lot of you would be surprised how people turn to God during such tragic times as the sinking of that boat...during war is another excellent example, it's been said that the last words of many troops on the front line has been "God help me" or "Oh God", and that's non-religious men/women too.

More commonly. "Mother"

bugjuice
15th November 2005, 10:02
According to one theory, it is the song the band played as the Titanic sunk
well it didn't help them then, did it? They should have tried to get out instead

Zed
15th November 2005, 10:32
They should have tried to get out instead...and died with the rest who weren't in lifeboats and drowned? They made their choice, they would have known they were going to die either way...what a way to go I say!

Holy Roller
15th November 2005, 13:59
I remember her when we just got her off the Brits. She had seen active duty in the falklands and then left until our gubmit brought her and another at a very special price. Must have been a real good deal judging by the moss growing every where and the infestations of cockroaches. Being a part of the refit crew I got to know her intimatley. Hours and days on a windy chisel chipping rust what a life.:banana:
I was a sad day to see her go down but its great that she can still be enjoyed by many, unlike my old ship the Otago, only photos and memories remain.

Indiana_Jones
15th November 2005, 14:55
...and died with the rest who weren't in lifeboats and drowned? They made their choice, they would have known they were going to die either way...what a way to go I say!

And wrote themselves into the history books :D

-Indy

Ixion
15th November 2005, 15:58
And wrote themselves into the history books :D

-Indy

To take your chance in the thick of a rush, with firing all
about,
Is nothing so bad when you've cover to 'and, an' leave an'
likin' to shout;
But to stand an' be still to the Birken'ead drill is a damn
tough bullet to chew,
An' they done it, the Jollies -- 'Er Majesty's Jollies --
soldier an' sailor too!
Their work was done when it 'adn't begun; they was younger
nor me an' you;
Their choice it was plain between drownin' in 'eaps an'
bein' mopped by the screw,
So they stood an' was still to the Birken'ead drill, soldier
an' sailor too!

We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves, an' the
rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style (which I 'ope it
won't 'appen to me).
But it makes you think better o' you an' your friends, an'
the work you may 'ave to do,
When you think o' the sinkin' Victorier's Jollies -- soldier
an' sailor too!
Now there isn't no room for to say ye don't know -- they
'ave proved it plain and true --
That whether it's Widow, or whether it's ship, Victorier's
work is to do,
An' they done it, the Jollies -- 'Er Majesty's Jollies --
soldier an' sailor too!

Hats off to the Royal Marines 'Er Majesty's Jollies.

Sorry , Sarge. It's that extra couple of hundred years of experience.

Lou Girardin
16th November 2005, 09:22
I was a sad day to see her go down but its great that she can still be enjoyed by many, unlike my old ship the Otago, only photos and memories remain.

OK if you dive. But why can't we have at least one of our ships turned into a museum. Like Aussie has done.

Deano
16th November 2005, 11:43
Often had to resort to the footpaths to get out

Lucky the revenue gatherers didn't see you :msn-wink: