PDA

View Full Version : Importing stuff from the US, halp!

Jamezo
14th November 2005, 18:14
I am going to try and import a Behringer V-Amp 2 from the US; I found an American-based online music company that will ship internationally no problems.

But I've never done this before, so I check the NZ customs site, check out the site for private importers, and get bombarded with all this scary stuff about import duties and holding items and arrival papers and revenue waivers and WAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

If I get them to send my widget in the mail, is there really anything scary I need to watch out for, can I expect for it just to arrive on my doorstep without any input on my part after the company ships it?

I appreciate any help...

Jackrat
14th November 2005, 18:59
I am going to try and import a Behringer V-Amp 2 from the US; I found an American-based online music company that will ship internationally no problems.

But I've never done this before, so I check the NZ customs site, check out the site for private importers, and get bombarded with all this scary stuff about import duties and holding items and arrival papers and revenue waivers and WAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

If I get them to send my widget in the mail, is there really anything scary I need to watch out for, can I expect for it just to arrive on my doorstep without any input on my part after the company ships it?

I appreciate any help...

I bring things in from the states on a regular basis an the only real advice I can give is (stay away from customs)
The first time I bought a shipment in I did all the right things by customs an got taken to the cleaners big time.Since then I just take my chances,keep the value of my shipments down,even if that means two small shipments rather than one larger one,,,an for the last 15 odd years no worrys.
UPS is very reliable so if you have any postage/handling problems it will most likely be with NZ post.
They've given me a few nightmares.:brick:

limbimtimwim
14th November 2005, 19:14
I am going to try and import a Behringer V-Amp 2 from the US; I found an American-based online music company that will ship internationally no (snip) to arrive on my doorstep without any input on my part after the company ships it?In my very limited experience (importing things for personal use and not resale) consisting of clothing, a small package containing carb bits and a large box containing a muffler, only the muffler drew the attention of the customs people. The item should have a declared value on the outside. If it's over a cutoff point (says customs website: "No revenue collection will be made if the total amount owing on the goods imported is less than $50") then NZ customs will probably pull it from the mail system for the perposes of collecting GST and duties. They will send you a letter with a reference number to quote when you phone them up to get the item released. You call them up, qoute the number, tell them your credit card number, and it gets released and the sending continues. I think you can send them a cheque too.

Now, you can get out of this by asking the person sending it to you to lie about the value declared, or mark it as a gift, which dodges some fees. No idea what happens if you get snapped though.

Since the amp is likely to be big and heavyish (Is it a cab and amp combined? Or just an amp? Or a set containg a speaker box and seperate amp?) I would expect it will be noticed :-) . If it was two items, perhaps you could ask nicely it is broken into two boxes, lowering the value and hopefully avoiding customs. I see amplifiers and speakers both attract 7% duty... :-(

Someone correct me if I am wrong, this is just my limited experience.

Jamezo
14th November 2005, 20:59
In my very limited experience (importing things for personal use and not resale) consisting of clothing, a small package containing carb bits and a large box containing a muffler, only the muffler drew the attention of the customs people. The item should have a declared value on the outside. If it's over a cutoff point (says customs website: "No revenue collection will be made if the total amount owing on the goods imported is less than $50") then NZ customs will probably pull it from the mail system for the perposes of collecting GST and duties. They will send you a letter with a reference number to quote when you phone them up to get the item released. You call them up, qoute the number, tell them your credit card number, and it gets released and the sending continues. I think you can send them a cheque too.

Now, you can get out of this by asking the person sending it to you to lie about the value declared, or mark it as a gift, which dodges some fees. No idea what happens if you get snapped though.

Since the amp is likely to be big and heavyish (Is it a cab and amp combined? Or just an amp? Or a set containg a speaker box and seperate amp?) I would expect it will be noticed :-) . If it was two items, perhaps you could ask nicely it is broken into two boxes, lowering the value and hopefully avoiding customs. I see amplifiers and speakers both attract 7% duty... :-(

Someone correct me if I am wrong, this is just my limited experience.

thanks a bunch. It's a small effects processor, it'd fit into a shoebox (plus I'm getting a cable on the same order). I'm paying $99 US for it.

So I may have to pay GST and duty on it? I looked up the table, and as far as I can see, an effects processor wouldn't attract extra duty.

...would they accept a bank transfer?

N4CR
14th November 2005, 21:03
You usually will have to pay duty on it. One of my metal mates brings in t-shirts and stuff in bulk orders for all us metallers from the states. He also bought his effects pedal and guitar in from there. Most things get taxed but sometimes they just don't check and you get away with it.

Have to go pick stuff up at the airport I think.

edit: and yeah I think it takes a while to get through customs.

poorbastard
14th November 2005, 21:25
Get it directly posted to your place. As its a relatively small package you shouldn't get pulled up and should get away without GST. Also try and get the company to post it in plain packaging. I just recently brought in a frame from aussie and customs took me for all they could get.

Jamezo
15th November 2005, 07:49
Get it directly posted to your place. As its a relatively small package you shouldn't get pulled up and should get away without GST. Also try and get the company to post it in plain packaging. I just recently brought in a frame from aussie and customs took me for all they could get.

ok, get it posted directly to my place, but as opposed to what?

plain packaging? again, as opposed to what?

cheers guys.

James Deuce
15th November 2005, 08:01
Right.

Two points of order.

1. NZ Customs do NOT take you for all they can get. The Government that YOU voted into power did. If you don't want any border protection, job protection, or any quality control at the border interface, then by all means vote for a Government that will remove Customs, Excise and Duty.

2. Customs can actually be quite helpful. I have imported 20k worth of stuff for personal use in one go, and not been charged a bean. Because I didn't barge into the office demanding that my "rights" be upheld. I was quietly thanked for not presenting as a typical bolshie arsehole and filled out a waiver form for GST and the 7% Import duty for musical instruments. In my case it was a drum kit, and Customs were perfectly aware that there is no local manufacturing base for mass produced musical instruments.

If you are stuck as to what forms you should be filling in, go to a Customhouse and ask for help. They actually have people who are paid to help you, in person, and help with any exemptions, GST payments, and potential licensing issues.

Give it a shot getting it delivered directly, but be aware that something like an amp will be X-Rayed on arrival probably by MAF, just because of its weight. Not declaring it will generate fines much greater than the stuff you're trying to avoid. I'm not saying that the principal of getting it delivered directly and avoiding those costs is necessarily wrong in a natural justice way, but maybe now you'll understand why the Rock Shop for instance, charges what it does for musical equipment. Some of their stuff, I have no idea how they get in at the prices they do, with GST, Import licenses, and Customs duty taken into account.

TLDV8
15th November 2005, 08:43
thanks a bunch. It's a small effects processor, it'd fit into a shoebox (plus I'm getting a cable on the same order). I'm paying $99 US for it.

So I may have to pay GST and duty on it? I looked up the table, and as far as I can see, an effects processor wouldn't attract extra duty.

A $99 (nz$143) don't worry about,just get it posted..it will probably just turn up at your door by courier.

TLDV8
15th November 2005, 08:46

At $99 (nz$143) don't worry about it,just get it posted.I prefer USPS airmail parcel post,but you don't get tracking,you get tracking with UPS but be prepared to bend over..ie a magnesium engine sidecover..US$18 via USPS,the same cover via UPS US$114....Your package will probably just turn up at your door by courier...Easiest/quickest/less hassle form of payment is via Paypal..make sure they wrap it properly so it does not get damaged.

Jamezo
15th November 2005, 10:31
Right.

Two points of order.

1. NZ Customs do NOT take you for all they can get. The Government that YOU voted into power did. If you don't want any border protection, job protection, or any quality control at the border interface, then by all means vote for a Government that will remove Customs, Excise and Duty.

2. Customs can actually be quite helpful. I have imported 20k worth of stuff for personal use in one go, and not been charged a bean. Because I didn't barge into the office demanding that my "rights" be upheld. I was quietly thanked for not presenting as a typical bolshie arsehole and filled out a waiver form for GST and the 7% Import duty for musical instruments. In my case it was a drum kit, and Customs were perfectly aware that there is no local manufacturing base for mass produced musical instruments.

If you are stuck as to what forms you should be filling in, go to a Customhouse and ask for help. They actually have people who are paid to help you, in person, and help with any exemptions, GST payments, and potential licensing issues.

Give it a shot getting it delivered directly, but be aware that something like an amp will be X-Rayed on arrival probably by MAF, just because of its weight. Not declaring it will generate fines much greater than the stuff you're trying to avoid. I'm not saying that the principal of getting it delivered directly and avoiding those costs is necessarily wrong in a natural justice way, but maybe now you'll understand why the Rock Shop for instance, charges what it does for musical equipment. Some of their stuff, I have no idea how they get in at the prices they do, with GST, Import licenses, and Customs duty taken into account.

ah, that clears things up a bit. but I still don't have the foggiest about having something 'delivered directly', but it's a moot point now, as I've changed tack. I now have a cunning plan.

I can get my stuff delivered free to my relatives in the states, and then they can ship it to me as a gift. I doubt very much there would be any attention from customs in that situation.

New question! (sorry dudes, I'm a complete n00b at doing anything)

What is the best way to give my relatives in the states US funds to pay for the shipping to be and/or purchase? (I still don't know if they will let me ship to a US address from a payment made from a NZ paypal or what-have-you account)

noyz
17th November 2005, 09:58
if i were you i would just buy it and get it sent direct to you
i have bought a ton of stuff of e-bay and never had any problems
i even had an entire rear end of a Ducati posted (steel sub frame, plastics and seats ) and they have just declared what it was and how much it was worth

limbimtimwim
17th November 2005, 20:01
I'll quote the website and myself again
No revenue collection will be made if the total amount owing on the goods imported is less than $50You don't need to do any tricks, since the amount of tax to pay on a US$99 item will be less than $50. Easy :-)

Jamezo
17th November 2005, 21:03
I'll quote the website and myself again You don't need to do any tricks, since the amount of tax to pay on a US$99 item will be less than $50. Easy :-)

oh, that's much nicer. I read it as if the amount of the item *itself* was under $50.......

silly me. but I still don't think I will ship direct, as UPS is teh expensive. hooray for USPS parcel post!