PDA

View Full Version : HDTboy Goes Racing

HDTboy
14th November 2005, 19:09
The week started with an idea, get my street bike race ready by the weekend and go racing.

So I took a copy of what I need to do, and proceeded to tick things off the list. Lights off, mirrors off, sump plug drilled, oil filter drilled etc.

On Saturday I stole the Van off the Apprentice (Jay), loaded the bike and tools into the back and went to sleep. Well I tried to sleep, the excitement was bigger than Christmas.

0530 Sunday. Got up, showered and had a big breakfast. Flatmate was supposed to drop me off before work, at my pit bitches(Andrew) house where the bike was in the van. Flatmate slept in. I ended up having to walk to meet Andrew at the servo at the end of his street, carrying my gear bag.

0700. Bike's flopping round in the back of the van, and I've got no cash. We stopped in at the ATM in town and I sent Andrew to get some cash out while I tied the bike down

0715. All set and ready to go "LETS GO RACING" was the catchcry, and we were on a mission: Get to Taupo, get the bike gassed up, and ready for entry by 0800. Taupo's an hour away.
Passed a Subaru wagon with a KRR150 on a trailer. Sweet, another race bike, the excitement grows.

0745. Pulled into the BP station at Taupo, fuelled the bike up next to a guy with a big Kawasaki in the back of his van, the excitement grows.
Sent Bugjuice a text, "Where are you guys?" Pulled into the park next to BJ, MR, and TS. Set up shop and introduced ourselves to MRand TS who I hadn't properly met before

0900. All registered, joined PMCC, bike scrutineered and numbers on. ready to go racing. Attend riders breifing and got very nervous at the mention of a slippery surface at the end of the main straight.

1200. Had met up with slickd, r4q2, Frosty, Quasievil and a few others by this stage. Also had two practice sessions by this stage and was buzzing quite nicely ready to get back out on the track.

First Race. Got onto the front row of the grid, revs up, heart pumping. This is it, my first ever motorcycle race.
Green flag drops and I dump the clutch, front comes up, and engine bogs down. Watched feeling helpless as bikes flew past me on either side. took it easy for the first few laps, advice of Bugjuice and Motoracer coursing through my head, then I put my head down and went for it. Toes, knees, and pegs scraping. Tacho needle sitting on the right hand side of the dial. Adrenaline pumping, bike feeling great.
Had such a good time that you couldn't have taken the grin off my face with a 4x2. Pulled into the pits and saw Bugjuice, and the rest of the crew all giving thumbs up, and smiling almost as wide as me.
Got my helmet off, and was wrapt to recieve a whole bunch of congratulations, when's the next race?

Saw MSTRS, Yungatart, and hXc standing by the pit wall, so I went and introduced myself to them. Good to meet you guys, you're good people.

Race two. I don't remember much about race two, except that I went hard from lap two and anyone who passed me (very few) I returned the favour within a few corners. Had pegs knees and toes scraping most of the race and it was probably the best race for me of the day.

By this time r4q2 and slickd had gone home, but my pit bitches were happy to see me back in safe

Race three. Before we even got out onto the track it'd stated to spit. That was fine by me though as the track was still quite dry. Got my best start of the dayand went on the charge from the third row of the grid. Had a few moments early in the race when the psychological rain got to me, and I started sliding around on the track. When I got over that though and started taking a little more caution on the bumpy parts of the track I started making ground, and catching more people.
As I rounded the sweeper on the last lap I was a little sad that the day was effectively over, and a little relieved that I'd made it through the day unscathed

1600. Packed the bike, and tools into the van, climbed in with them and came home. Tired, sore, and thoroughly satisfied

1700. Got home, left the bike and tools in the van for unpacking at work tomorrow. Got a text when Andrew and Jay got home, "have you got a spare windscreen?" oh shit. The bike had fallen over in the van, and broke the windscreen 200m from their home, all that way, and it happened then. Oh well, I had a spare which I was supposed to send to Sniper (sorry bro)

My word that was a fun day. If you're thinking about going racing, don't just think about it, do it. You'll enjoy yourself beyond belief, and it's not as expensive as you'd think

To all those who I met yesterday, I'm glad to meet you, and I didn't meet a person I didn't like
MR, that's a cool little bike, high maintenance though. Thanks for the pointers
TS, my pit bitches were both impressed with your speed on the 400, keep it up
Frosty, sorry bout your day mate, hope you get it sorted
Bugjuice, Thanks for the loan of the Leathers, I didn't soil them too badly did I? I feel bad about the knees sliders they were shiny in the morning and scraped in the afternoon
Quasi, Thanks for the Back protector
R4Q2, Thanks for posting that pic yesterday, I hope there's more to come

HDTboy
14th November 2005, 19:55
Oh yeah, and for some reason I wasn't included in the results, but I got 13th overall in the first race, 1st 250
Dunno about the second race, but I was 1st 250 again
and 8th overall in the third race, 1st 250 again

It was post classics in with 150 streetstock, and 250 streetstock

Cibby
14th November 2005, 20:20
well fuck.

someone had to break in buggies knee scrapers.. he wasnt doing it himself!!!

haha

awesome to hear that you did mint mate.. ! well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sniper
14th November 2005, 20:23
Congrats mate. Dont worry about the screen, Ill get another sometime. Glad you had a good race though.

marty
14th November 2005, 20:31
great write-up man. i'm a little envious. wish there was 10 days in a week, and 30hrs in a day!

Zed
14th November 2005, 20:34
The week started with an idea, get my street bike race ready by the weekend and go racing.Good onya for just doing it HDT, inspiring little write-up thanks! I hope you keep it up with more success each time on the track. :yes:

bugjuice
15th November 2005, 08:38
good on ya mate.. you did bloody well
gonna have another go soon then?

HDTboy
15th November 2005, 09:15
Might have to wait till I've got the cash to race like we discussed by text

bugjuice
15th November 2005, 09:16
yeah, but that was a little more down the track, not the next few meets..

HDTboy
15th November 2005, 09:18
Might do a few meetings this season, but it's time to sell the 250. Postie?

MSTRS
15th November 2005, 09:48
Saw MSTRS, Yungatart, and hXc standing by the pit wall, so I went and introduced myself to them. Good to meet you guys, you're good people.

Yes we are.:blip: Nice of you to say so too. Was good to meet/chat. You did well on the track - and the write-up.

babyB
15th November 2005, 13:18
what cool wite-up HDTboy souns like you had a ball out there. good on ya:2thumbsup .........."My word that was a fun day. ".......& that is exactly what m/bikes is about gotta love doing what ya doing:banana:

Postie
15th November 2005, 13:33
Might do a few meetings this season, but it's time to sell the 250. Postie?

Yes??:blip: :blip:

HDTboy
15th November 2005, 14:30
Yes??:blip: :blip:
Would you like to take it for a test ride? You break it you buy it

Postie
15th November 2005, 14:33
Would you like to take it for a test ride? You break it you buy it
hahaha, good sale, you know i will wreck it so i gotta buy it......

HDTboy
16th November 2005, 11:39
hahaha, good sale, you know i will wreck it so i gotta buy it......
So when are you taking it for a test ride?
you know you want to :blip:

Bartman10
22nd November 2005, 08:18
Oh yeah, and for some reason I wasn't included in the results, but I got 13th overall in the first race, 1st 250
Dunno about the second race, but I was 1st 250 again
and 8th overall in the third race, 1st 250 again

It was post classics in with 150 streetstock, and 250 streetstock

I think they got you confused with an RS125. Email them and let them know.

See results below...

http://www.silverbullet.co.nz/eventresults.php?eventid=4062&cid=100