PDA

View Full Version : good bike for a returnee

hdus001
15th November 2005, 12:34
Hi
I am returning to riding after more than 5 years. Am sitting the learners test soon. Which bike would you recommend for a rider with medium skill level? The ones that I have in mind are:
Suzuki Bandit 250
FXR150
Honda CRM250 (road legal)

Basically what Im after is one thats not too heavy, within $3000, and does not require me to visit garages too often. I havent used any of the bikes mentioned above, am just basing it on pics I saw on the internet. Whch one would you guys recommend?
cheers
Hans

parsley
15th November 2005, 12:48
Since you're a returning rider I'd stay away from the 150 - you'll get bored real soon. Or is this just for the full licence test then you'll switch to something bigger immediately?

Motu
15th November 2005, 13:03
Welcome - the CRM250 seems a bit out of place there,but good choice! Similar to the DT230 I ride - same power and weight,a bit taller in the seat,but with better suspension and no electric start,not that you need one,it's just a luxury.They are crazy and aggressive around the streets,it's hard to curb the desire to think the back streets are an MX track,getting the holeshot from the lights - but even though they come on pretty strong I don't think they are too much for a learner,just go easy on the throttle until you get the feel of it,they are very light and pull the front up out of corners...nudge nudge,wink wink.Now that I'm getting the DT230 out on the open road I'm very inpressed on how it copes,it's a little bike,but a big hitter in the power stakes,more than enough to keep me happy - I don't know about the CRM250,but the DT230 will do 165kph with standard gearing,don't see why the Honda can't either.You can get a Mugen kit to boost the power to 50hp...if you ever need it.Not what I'd really suggest for a learner road bike,but go for it if you want to.

Oh,easy maintanence,it's a 2 stroke - stupidly simple.

hdus001
15th November 2005, 15:14
hmm..so the CRM250 is pretty tall is it? I'm a shortie at 170 cms (5'7")..think it'd be too tall for me?

James Deuce
15th November 2005, 15:31
You dwarf Motu and he used to have an XLV750. If you don;t stop you'll be fine.

Welcome back btw.

ducatilover
15th November 2005, 20:30
:2thumbsup the bandit250's are all right a wee bit slow but thats what i think about anything slower than my bros650, seriously though i rode one and it went allright [of course it was red] i would say get a twosmoker for that bit of fun, but not a 150, please dont get a 150:nono: welcome to the site:2thumbsup

thealmightytaco
15th November 2005, 20:42
I got an FXR to start on, damn good bike really and super hyper mega cheap on gas. Really, if you're not gonna break the law with ya speedin' then it's perfect. But in saying that, I've also got an old NSR that's up and running now and I'm lookin' at keeping that and selling the FXR, cause it's fun to haul ass up to the speed limit at least!

thealmightytaco
15th November 2005, 20:43
I got an FXR to start on, damn good bike really and super hyper mega cheap on gas. Really, if you're not gonna break the law with ya speedin' then it's perfect. But in saying that, I've also got an old NSR that's up and running now and I'm lookin' at keeping that and selling the FXR, cause it's fun to haul ass up to the speed limit at least!

I'm straddling all over the fence really, just ride stuff and see what takes your fancy I say.

thealmightytaco
15th November 2005, 20:44
How did I post that twice?

thealmightytaco
15th November 2005, 20:45
How did I post that twice? 'Cause you gotta wait 30 seconds between posts, and until then it gives you your last post in advanced mode for you to tweak. I'll be watchin' that.

ducatilover
15th November 2005, 20:45
How did I post that twice?
you tell me then well both know:blink:

thealmightytaco
15th November 2005, 20:49
It's a double post bonanza

ducatilover
15th November 2005, 20:53
we're gonna die of post over dose runnnnnnnnnnnn:blink:

dawnrazor
29th November 2005, 19:25
fireblade?:doobey: :doobey: :doobey: :doobey:

crash harry
7th December 2005, 20:51
Get a 250. If you live in aucks, you're gonna be on the motorway, and I don't reckon that the 150s have enough grunt for motorway travel. Sure they can do 100k OK, but they really don't wind up quick enough to get out of trouble. Unless you want an RG150, but you sail low maintenance so I guess that counts 2-strokes out...

You might find a Kawasaki ZZR250 or GPX250 for that money. They're cool bikes to ride and real easy to get along with.

Gremlin
7th December 2005, 20:54
You might find a Kawasaki ZZR250 or GPX250 for that money. They're cool bikes to ride and real easy to get along with.
Somebody call me?? What a coincidence :lol:

Seriously tho, mine is for sale, she ain't pretty, but you said you didn't want to regularly visit the shop. Asides from servicing, mine has been very reliable.

Had to, I expect it to start everytime, and it gets used 6 days week

avgas
7th December 2005, 21:18
GB250, SRX250 would be my picks for a returning biker. Lotsa Torque, and no rediculous WTF!?! throttle reponse.

Dadpole
7th December 2005, 22:23
GB250 on tardme at the moment. Don't see many of the 250 models around, but the 400/500 seem OK.

classic zed
27th December 2005, 17:42
I bought it new in 78, I owned it for a couple of years before selling it after a nasty accident.
I have ridden a few different friends bikes over the years, FJ1200, ZZR1100 and my brothers RD500LC to name but a few.
When I moved here from the UK I decided to get a bike again, I found a guy selling two Z1300's (79 & 81 models) on Trademe and, as this was a bike I have always loved, I bought them, one was complete and the other was a bag of bits.
It took me a couple of hours to get used to the bulk of it but after that it was great, and surprisingly good in traffic.

:2thumbsup

Stevo
27th December 2005, 17:53
Hi
I am returning to riding after more than 5 years. Am sitting the learners test soon. Which bike would you recommend for a rider with medium skill level? The ones that I have in mind are:
Suzuki Bandit 250
FXR150
Honda CRM250 (road legal)

Basically what Im after is one thats not too heavy, within $3000, and does not require me to visit garages too often. I havent used any of the bikes mentioned above, am just basing it on pics I saw on the internet. Whch one would you guys recommend?
cheers
Hans
Two questions:
What did you used to ride?
Did you used to ride without a license?