PDA

View Full Version : Blackbird Brakes

The Stranger
16th November 2005, 13:21
Does anyone know the recommended wear limit for disc pads on an 05 Blackbird, or a general rule of thumb?

Are there other brands of pad which would offer better braking performance and where would I go to procure such other brand please?

bugjuice
16th November 2005, 13:24
the minimum thickness should be stamped on the inside metal part of the rotor. Can't remember what the 'usual' is, but being a bit bigger, might be a bit thicker 'minimum' than most.. Spin the wheel round and look for the fine print

As for pads, a lot of aftermarket pads stop very quickly.. Most will have their personal favs, but the ones that often pop up the most are EBC (what I have) or SBS, both said to be top notch pads. Else stock pads are increasingly better now-a-days

vifferman
16th November 2005, 13:26
Minimum thickness should be 3.5mm (that's what the VFR is, so the Blackbird should be the same).
What sort of pads have you got? I've got SBS, and they're pretty good - they bite well and have good feel. SBS come in a variety of types, as does EBC, so you should be able to find summat that suits.
GO see Kerry @ Motohaus - he'll fix you up.

The Stranger
16th November 2005, 13:29
So I guess 2mm is a bit on the tight side then.

Where did you get your pads from please?

bugjuice
16th November 2005, 13:31
2mm is starting to push yer luck would have thought!

Pads are from almost any bike shop. Mt Eden, Motohaus, Cycletreds etc etc etc.. Shop/call around tho. I found a huge diff in price between places

as for discs, not sure on those. Might be knockin on Honda's door for those..

Motu
16th November 2005, 15:12
I think he's talking minimum PAD thickness,not rotor thickness.1.5mm is usual.Depends on what type of braking you do - I'm not a high speed braker,so I use soft pads,gives me excelent brakes from cold at low speed - on sunday my rear rotor was blue,obviously I have a somewhat different riding style...

bugjuice
16th November 2005, 15:13
bugger, just re-read the first post.. ignore my bits about the rotors then, i need more coffee.. excuse me

R1madness
16th November 2005, 18:30
Well if ya want the best pads in the world go for Yoshimura ones but they are hell expensive... Price some genuine ones (you might be suprised haha) Brakeing pads are fantastic when warm but a but hard to get heat into, EBC offer several compounds make sure you get the right ones (work great) SBS have been prone to cracking but i have never had a set disintergrate even when cracked. Vesrah are hard on disks, Ferodo work fine, Dunopads are fantastic in the wet but poor initial bite in the dry.
My personal pick if giong aftermarket would be EBC in the CFK compound (blue backing plate).
Happy shopping let us know what you buy and do a product review...

Blackbird
16th November 2005, 18:59
Drop an email to Pete at www.blackbirdspares.co.uk/. You'll probably get a reply tonight. Pete has a genuine 200mph Blackbird and there is stuff-all he doesn't know about making them both go and stop. He also does the Nurburgring regularly so he'll speak from experience. Prices are good ex-UK.

Geoff