PDA

View Full Version : Speed Camera?

terbang
16th November 2005, 14:31
Riding along enjoying the scenery I noticed a few cars flashing their headlights at me. I suspected a Rozzer or similar in the not too distant future and sure enough I came along a tinted window van on a quiet straight piece of road (partially concealed) Anyway as it was obvious that only the front of me was going to be photographed I made it worth their while and gave them a 3 digit number to mull over that started with a 2..! I was duly photographed! Later talking to a mate of mine he assured me that they still took the numbers of motorbikes that do such things...Gulp! Does anyone know if this is true?
:bash:

bugjuice
16th November 2005, 14:36
i have no idea on this, but curious myself.
if the cam is facing you, then the operator has to read your plate as you pass.. possible, but don't know if they do, or quick enough. It's hard to read when the plate is facing the floor cos of a wheelie

T.W.R
16th November 2005, 14:41
Riding along enjoying the scenery I noticed a few cars flashing their headlights at me. I suspected a Rozzer or similar in the not too distant future and sure enough I came along a tinted window van on a quiet straight piece of road (partially concealed) Anyway as it was obvious that only the front of me was going to be photographed I made it worth their while and gave them a 3 digit number to mull over that started with a 2..! I was duly photographed! Later talking to a mate of mine he assured me that they still took the numbers of motorbikes that do such things...Gulp! Does anyone know if this is true?
:bash:

you might be getting a nice letter in a few weeks, if the van attendant was onsite & not away cruising with plod. if he was there he would if fast enough record your number as you went past, and attach it to the photo the camera would have recorded, i've seen them with nice big SLRs so he may even have snapped a shot also!

remember its not far until Xmas so they've got to fill-up the float for the xmas party piss account!!

N4CR
16th November 2005, 14:43
Nah they don't unless the operator hears your debaffled pipe, realises it is a bike, sees that a photo is taken and then writes down your plate.

And the operator is usually never inside it.

I went past one of the motorway vans pulling the bird a while ago and haven't seen anything in the mail so it's bollix, yes it was over the 'trigger threshold' for it as well.

WRT
16th November 2005, 15:00
Well, if you do get busted, I think I speak for all of us when I say . . .

Post the damn pic!

N4CR
16th November 2005, 15:03
Well, if you do get busted, I think I speak for all of us when I say . . .

Post the damn pic!

Yeah I have always thaught about how cool it would be to get a wheelie (but not so high that you can't see the plate), pay the $180 or so and stick it on the wall.... would be awesome. As long as they didn't try get ya for dangerous driving or something. Say you slipped on the throttle while adjusting your gear :P

WRT
16th November 2005, 15:06
Yeah I have always thaught about how cool it would be to get a wheelie (but not so high that you can't see the plate), pay the $180 or so and stick it on the wall.... would be awesome. As long as they didn't try get ya for dangerous driving or something. Say you slipped on the throttle while adjusting your gear :P

Go for it, I'll give ya rep if you do, plus some bonus rep if the cops ask if you write the billboards for Tui when you try that line on them . . .

Lou Girardin
16th November 2005, 15:08
Keep it up guys. Baiting camera operators will look real good at the next select committee hearing investigating the issue of bikers flouting the law.
Will front plates look good on your bikes?

T.W.R
16th November 2005, 15:20
Nah they don't unless the operator hears your debaffled pipe, realises it is a bike, sees that a photo is taken and then writes down your plate.

I went past one of the motorway vans pulling the bird a while ago and haven't seen anything in the mail so it's bollix, yes it was over the 'trigger threshold' for it as well.

oh please! you obviously haven't seen many camera vans out in the open then! and obviously haven't heard many bikes out on the open highway either ! shit man i live less than 400m from S/H 1 & a stock bike with stock pipes can be heard over a kilometre away! & bikes with aftermarket pipes further away than that! The chertsey S-bend over the railway on S/H1 is 1.2km from the township & its easy to hear motorcycles throttling off for that

as for the camera van operators, the regular van driver that works the main sth between CHCH & ashvagas takes his fuckin smoko with him ! sitting in the sun in the side door of the van or sitting in the front passengers seat reading the paper & hes got a SLR camera with a fuckin lense that would fit in with the sports photographers at a rugby match !

madboy
16th November 2005, 15:53
I used to be up for deliberating baiting the cameras, but the novelty wore off. Luckily they've never got my plate, but it makes sense what is being said here about some operators sitting there notepad and/or camera ready.

scumdog
16th November 2005, 16:14
They do still take the plates numbers if the operator sees its a bike going past that got shot by the camera. He will try and take it down, thats if he's not sleeping or if your going so fast he can't read it.

Your only saving grace if he has got it is that you get no demerit points whatever speed you are doing, just have to pay the fine...if its over 50k it will be about $600... $630 actually!!:blink:

And then there's the fun thing of having licence suspended for 28 days for exceeding the speed limit by more than 50kph....:doh:

Psalm42
16th November 2005, 18:11
630 dollars, DAM thats a lot of donuts...........

terbang
16th November 2005, 18:33
Oh well to be safe I'll just go back to honking my horn at them (car and motorbike). Even Mrs T does that as we dislike that kind of policing. Whilst they may photograph people over the speed limit (fair cop) they certainly miss all the Knobbers that drive by pissed or stoned or without a licence that are just as responsible for the carnage on the road as the so called speedsters. Sounds like a revenue collecting exercise or "cop out" type policing to us so we display our disagreeance with horn honking. Yep I know it doesn't make any difference in the big scheme of things, but somehow I reckon, it just puts a bit stress into the life of the "Wannabe Rozzers" that operate the cameras. If every vehical that passed by honked their horn at them it would eventually fray their nerves or perhaps that of the adjacent land owners, who would then move them on. Yeah I know about misuse of a horn an all that but have you ever ridden in an Istanbul taxi?

T.W.R
16th November 2005, 18:40
Oh well to be safe I'll just go back to honking my horn at them. Even Mrs T does that as we dislike that kind of policing. Whilst they may photograph people over the speed limit they certainly miss all the Knobbers that drive by pissed or stoned or without a licence that are just as responsible for the carnage on the road as speedsters. Sounds like revenue a collecting exercise or "cop out" type policing to us and we display our disagreeance with horn honking.

yep you've got that right, a nice wee earner for the pricks!:bash:
theres nothing to stop you hangin a 1 finger salute to the pricks after you've got their attention by blasting the horn :blip:

Hitcher
16th November 2005, 18:48
Buy a different coloured helmet.

MacD
16th November 2005, 18:58
Keep it up guys. Baiting camera operators will look real good at the next select committee hearing investigating the issue of bikers flouting the law.
Will front plates look good on your bikes?

Front numberplates (http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/a/33.html) have been proposed as a solution for this in both Victoria and NSW. If it's introduced in Victoria it will happen here.

Jackrat
16th November 2005, 19:31
Front numberplates (http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/a/33.html) have been proposed as a solution for this in both Victoria and NSW. If it's introduced in Victoria it will happen here.

I follow an Aussie bike site as much as this one and your right,Vic IS bringing them in next year.
And yeah we'll be close behind.

terbang
16th November 2005, 19:36
Makes sense eh? Think of all the extra revenue that could be generated at no extra expense to LTSA. This extra revenue generating potential will be funded by us modding our bikes with front plates or similar.

spudchucka
16th November 2005, 19:49
Make the most of whinging about front plates now because once they are imposed on us you will be labeled as part of the reason for its imposition.

T.W.R
16th November 2005, 20:20
front plates have been here before! up until the early 70s. they approached the idea again in the late 80s early 90s. so it wont be any big surprise if they do reinstate them again

But there's nowhere at the front you could put then without it looking gay!

KLOWN
16th November 2005, 20:37
$1100 is the largest fine i have recieved in one ticket.

T.W.R
16th November 2005, 20:38

could just roll up to your local LTSA & have them scribe the number across the fairing with a big black magic marker :doh:

2much
16th November 2005, 20:51
Good luck to the fucker who attacks my bike with a magic marker......

Good luck to the fucker who attacks my bike with a magic marker......

True true.

Surely any number plate on the front would increase wind resistance, and would need to be rounded to meet the shape of the bikes nose.

Wouldn't that make it unreadable anyway?

Toast
16th November 2005, 21:28
#$%^ this is gay...I better learn how to wheelie real soon...that way they can't see either end.

Toast
16th November 2005, 21:33
"The impetus for front number plates appears to be driven by authoritarian blame or revenue considerations and hurt feelings resulting from photographs showing disrespect. MORE"

hahahaha...but still...we really should watch ourselves, none of this :motu:

Dadpole
16th November 2005, 22:21
True true.

Surely any number plate on the front would increase wind resistance, and would need to be rounded to meet the shape of the bikes nose.

Wouldn't that make it unreadable anyway?

The bastards would make it the size of a barn door - and not care about any cooling or aerodynamic issues

Divot
16th November 2005, 22:40
Yep they can take your reg number and write it down on the form. And the vans are not left unatended.

Speedracer
16th November 2005, 23:03
Yep they can take your reg number and write it down on the form. And the vans are not left unatended.

You can spot those van cams a mile away, and every time I go past I look inside and theres noone home. There was one in particular I took the same road back and I went slowly past and there really was no one around. (this was near Rotovegas) Just that evil little camera on it's tripod in the boot.

T.W.R
16th November 2005, 23:19
You can spot those van cams a mile away, and every time I go past I look inside and theres noone home. There was one in particular I took the same road back and I went slowly past and there really was no one around. (this was near Rotovegas) Just that evil little camera on it's tripod in the boot.

put your thinking cap on & consider this : the majority of people on the road know how easy it is to identify the speed camera vans & would love the opportunity to damage or sabotage one of the fuckers, so a van with thousands of dollars worth of photographic equipment that many people would love to fuck over would be left unattended, NEVER! not even the pork are that stupid.

skidMark
16th November 2005, 23:23
they don't have to pay for the gear though anyway like cop himself /herself don't have to pay for it to be replaced so it doesnt concern them really

and honestly who would take the risk of stealing from what is basically a cop car it's like going into a cop car stealing thier donuts and running away you will never survive it will be your last sugary snack for a long time :banana: :stupid:

Divot
16th November 2005, 23:23
put your thinking cap on & consider this : the majority of people on the road know how easy it is to identify the speed camera vans & would love the opportunity to damage or sabotage one of the fuckers, so a van with thousands of dollars worth of photographic equipment that many people would love to fuck over would be left unattended, NEVER! not even the pork are that stupid.

The vans have a desk set up in the rear with a office type chair. Next time stop and talk to the guy in the van, ask how it works, I'm sure they would love to chat to someone.

Maybe he left the van there as some yobbo had just run past and mugged a little old lady so the copper made chase. Then caught said yobbo, gave him a beating, and sent him to jail.

Or maybe he was just out unloading all those coffees and donuts

T.W.R
16th November 2005, 23:36
The vans have a desk set up in the rear with a office type chair. Next time stop and talk to the guy in the van, ask how it works, I'm sure they would love to chat to someone.

yep your on to it, seen that a couple of times the camera man & the highway patrol cop having good old chin wags. the regular van that does the main sth is a pretty well set up unit almost looks like a private camper van ( dark green, nice wheels, tinted windows etc )

skidMark
16th November 2005, 23:36
Maybe he left the van there as some yobbo had just run past and mugged a little old lady so the copper made chase. Then caught said yobbo, gave him a beating, and sent him to jail.

Or maybe he was just out unloading all those coffees and donuts

hey if your on your own all day and you can't pull people over you just sit in a van basically being driver then a security guard for a camera you need all the coffee to keep you awake and all the donuts to keep your sugar levels high and keep you in a good mood that you can get your hand on IMO

skidMark
16th November 2005, 23:39
makes you wonder why they don't just park sum van that looks like a crapped out old rust bucket shove a pink sticker on it and nobody would be the wiser but no lets get a reasonably new van and tint the windows everybody expects that now...

if they want to catch the people who really speed i think they need them better disguised to have a chance of catching the dangerous people in my opinion

MA

makes you wonder why they don't just park sum van that looks like a crapped out old rust bucket shove a pink sticker on it and nobody would be the wiser but no lets get a reasonably new van and tint the windows everybody expects that now...

if they want to catch the people who really speed i think they need them better disguised to have a chance of catching the dangerous people in my opinion

MA

They have man.

There may well be riders on this very website who are acting as spys for the rozzers, building up a portfolio of evidence until one day... BAM... 2000 fixed penalty notices out in the post. Keep an eye out... it could be any of us :blink:

Sumo
17th November 2005, 00:18
:doh: It is unlikely they have your number as the camera is fixed in the van. Be aware now they are putting accessories on the van to try and hid them .As if thisa will help them get more revenue

Sumo
17th November 2005, 00:20
:doh: It is unlikely they have your number as the camera is fixed in the van. Be aware now they are putting accessories on the van to try and hid them .As if thisa will help them get more revenue:doobey:

Lou Girardin
17th November 2005, 07:21

Well, bend over and spread 'em. Because we could all be looking gay soon, thanks to fuckwits that think they're safe from cameras.

NodMan
17th November 2005, 08:34

I can assure you that the motorway van is ALWAYS manned...possibly since being shot at last year the operator is not making himself so visible from the outside
and yes pictures are taken of motorcycles doing all sorts of things past the van and some find that the speed notice is the minor problem when the boys finally catch up with them...
ps do you want to call into the office and view the pics to see which ones you appear in???

Enjoy your riding and freedom and dont give the politicans more fuel for front plates, larger plates, bar codes on ya bike ,helmet, body etc

Swoop
17th November 2005, 08:51
Years ago when the very first fixed pole camera was installed for "trials" in Mairangi Bay (East Coast Rd - Nth Shore), the very first film developed provided great entertainment for the :Police: .
The ENTIRE film was of the same cage going past time and time again with lots of :shake: :motu: being shown, but no faces. The cops (at least the one who told me this) thought it was a great laugh as well since the numberplate read FUCK U:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

T.W.R
17th November 2005, 09:12

MA

about 3yrs ago in CHCH on Marshlands rd they had a camera set-up in a wrecked car that was on the back of a truck !!! it scored heaps of victims:mad: :mad:

The Stranger
17th November 2005, 09:54
Been flashed twice fron the front about 3 months ago and seen nothing yet.

It would be interesting trying to mount a front plate on the Blackbird.
Only place you could mount it is forward on the guard such that it protruded beyond the front of the front guard and wheel or on the nosecone covering the ram air inlets.

MacD
17th November 2005, 10:15
Been flashed twice fron the front about 3 months ago and seen nothing yet.

It would be interesting trying to mount a front plate on the Blackbird.
Only place you could mount it is forward on the guard such that it protruded beyond the front of the front guard and wheel or on the nosecone covering the ram air inlets.

I can't find the link now but I was looking at a site a while ago which was the preliminary report to Victoria Roads regarding front motorcycle plates.

They were trialling reflective stickers across the front of the fairing/blade for faired bikes and vertical ones on the fork legs for naked bikes. I doubt if you're going to see rigid metal plates on the front of bikes again.

The whole issue arose due to bad publicity like this (http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,17152382%255E2761,00.html).

Cause ---> Effect.

Hitcher
17th November 2005, 10:18
Maybe we could have a design competition...

Lou Girardin
17th November 2005, 13:23
I can't find the link now but I was looking at a site a while ago which was the preliminary report to Victoria Roads regarding front motorcycle plates.

They were trialling reflective stickers across the front of the fairing/blade for faired bikes and vertical ones on the fork legs for naked bikes. I doubt if you're going to see rigid metal plates on the front of bikes again.

The whole issue arose due to bad publicity like this (http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,17152382%255E2761,00.html).

Cause ---> Effect.

No one is talking about these plates causing instability and we also haven't heard from manufacturers about the issue either.
The lawsuits would be interesting in the event of a death wobble.

Ixion
17th November 2005, 13:37
Actually, instability was/is one of the big problems the wankers are running into in Victoria, and a major reason why they haven't done anything yet.

None of the major manufacturers are willing to endorse having any sort of rigid plate stuck on the front, and in the absence of such endorsement they're too scared to go ahead. The "wrap round the fork leg" doesn't work very well (read "at all") cos of caliper mountings and such like. And when wrapped it's pretty well unreadable anyway.

Basically they're claiming that on any bike they can find SOMEWHERE they could put it, but it's DIFFERENT on every model. And being the burearcrats they are, they figure they have to specifiy a mounting location in the legislation. Which is hard, cos they'd have to list every model of every bike made, ever!. Not to mention how they deal with after production changes (add a fairing, remove a fairing, all quite legal) . And the problem of illumination came up too. Odd actually, you are required to have a rear number plate light on a car, but not a front one Anyone want to try putting a little light on a fork leg?

MacD
17th November 2005, 13:49
None of the major manufacturers are willing to endorse having any sort of rigid plate stuck on the front, and in the absence of such endorsement they're too scared to go ahead. The "wrap round the fork leg" doesn't work very well (read "at all") cos of caliper mountings and such like. And when wrapped it's pretty well unreadable anyway.

The report I saw admitted all of these issues at least. They had also tried a flexible rubber/plastic plate system. Fork leg stickers aren't going to work on USD forks either. So hopefully it will get put in the too hard basket.

However the best defence is not to give the police/politicians photographic ammunition against bikers in the first place.

Of course they could just use rear-facing camera systems like in the UK. The big orange things on poles with markings on the road that are designed to slow people down, not just give them tickets.

Korea
17th November 2005, 14:14
The BEST speed camera shot would have to be the one of two people in the front wearing BEAR SUITS. The licence plate had been obscured with a card that read "Big Ted"
True.

ScumKiller2
17th November 2005, 14:37
I agree with every one who's said STOP BEING A DICKHEAD - slow down for cameras (FFS - they aint hard to spot) and if you do get snapped don't flip the bird, pull a wheelie or anything else. If we act like boy racers, we will be treated like boy racers. :angry:

_

spudchucka
18th November 2005, 07:51
If they set the vans up with front as well as rear mounted cameras then that would negate the need for front mounted number plates.

I'm off to give Robbie a call.:blip:

Toast
18th November 2005, 08:12
If they set the vans up with front as well as rear mounted cameras then that would negate the need for front mounted number plates.

That's still a far better solution than front plates, so just make sure the knob doesn't go that route.

Cheers Spud :niceone:

thehollowmen
18th November 2005, 08:28
Or half a tank of gas for the V8 Holdens :Pokey:

N4CR
18th November 2005, 09:10
I agree with every one who's said STOP BEING A DICKHEAD - slow down for cameras (FFS - they aint hard to spot) and if you do get snapped don't flip the bird, pull a wheelie or anything else. If we act like boy racers, we will be treated like boy racers. :angry:

Yeah that's true... I have only done it once to a radar and the fixed ones never go off for me.

/Stops. I don't want a front plate or some scheme to do it. A stick on plate wont work on a late model zx12r... there ain't enough surface area that is straight or else it will have to be 7cm long and 3cm high or so LOL good luck reading that in a slightly blurred photo.

JohnR
18th November 2005, 19:22

Cause ---> Effect.

Bloody RAC (in NZ read AA). Another "Motorist" organisation who are seemingly anti motorcycle:angry: . However these groups have definate influence on public and bureaucratic thinking on issues related to "motoring" and seem, imho, to be using us (bikers) to maintain that profile.

Lou Girardin
19th November 2005, 05:42

Good idea Spud, except the Gummint will say it'll cost X to fit front facing cameras, as against making the suckers pay for their own front plates.
What shall we do? Decisions, decisions.

Speedracer
20th November 2005, 12:12
Good idea Spud, except the Gummint will say it'll cost X to fit front facing cameras, as against making the suckers pay for their own front plates.
What shall we do? Decisions, decisions.

You claim that the cameras will pay themselves off. It's probably true. :doh:

Unit
20th November 2005, 12:15
i have no idea on this, but curious myself.
if the cam is facing you, then the operator has to read your plate as you pass.. possible, but don't know if they do, or quick enough. It's hard to read when the plate is facing the floor cos of a wheelie
Half these guys are asleep anyway and cant imagine them during a concerntrated period of time being about to react quick enough to manually read the plate flying by. Interested to know if they have equipment and proceedure to deal with this valid point

Divot
20th November 2005, 20:42
Half these guys are asleep anyway and cant imagine them during a concerntrated period of time being about to react quick enough to manually read the plate flying by. Interested to know if they have equipment and proceedure to deal with this valid point

You try sitting on your arse for hours doing nothing!

Swoop
21st November 2005, 13:00
They should use some of these cameras...:msn-wink: