PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Biking Tips

Lord Alster
16th November 2005, 19:21
Wondering if anybody's interested in sharing any biking tips they may have picked up during their years of experience. Things like keeping away from the painted markings on the road, they can be slippery as hell especially in the wet. I found this out in my first week on a bike about 23 years ago. I was heading for my nana's house to show her my new bike, Honda CB125. It started to rain lightly so I hurried along and as I came around a sweeping corner my front wheel hit the centre line and next thing I know I'm sliding across the road on my arse. No serious damage other than my pride but a lesson well learnt. Anybody else wanna share?:grouphug:

James Deuce
16th November 2005, 19:27
We have a Survival Skills forum for sharing tips.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

avgas
16th November 2005, 19:27
Iridium spark plugs (or equivelent).... i'll never use anything else

skelstar
16th November 2005, 19:28
Im a bit of a noob but the first real lesson I had was about 'target fixation'.

I found out when I got into trouble in a corner and jammed on the brakes that I stared at the one thing I didnt want to hit....the barrier. I was 'target fixated' and since you tend to steer towards the thing you are looking at it I was soon 'barrier fixated'.

So lesson is: if you jam on the brakes and get into trouble, look where you WANT to go, not where you DONT want to go.
2c.

bugjuice
16th November 2005, 19:30
don't eat yellow snow

and always try the search function first..
welcome tho ;)

Lord Alster
16th November 2005, 19:56
How about not riding in the centre of the lane. In my early days of riding my dad pointed out that the dark patch you see down the centre of a lane is created largely by oil dripping from under cars. If you're following someone and have to break suddenly, particularly in the wet your traction on that oily area won't be nearly as good. Also if you are to the left of centre to start with you have more chance of avoiding whatever is happening in the middle of the road. Any comments? Good advice or bad? Sounds logical to me.

Indiana_Jones
16th November 2005, 23:08
I took a 90 corner in the raid, rear wheel went over a manhole cover, the wheel slide out, kicked back in, like it was gonna high side, but didn't.....phew

so watch out forthose f*ckers :D

-Indy

Indiana_Jones
16th November 2005, 23:10
How about not riding in the centre of the lane. In my early days of riding my dad pointed out that the dark patch you see down the centre of a lane is created largely by oil dripping from under cars. If you're following someone and have to break suddenly, particularly in the wet your traction on that oily area won't be nearly as good. Also if you are to the left of centre to start with you have more chance of avoiding whatever is happening in the middle of the road. Any comments? Good advice or bad? Sounds logical to me.

when i look at a lane, i see kinda a rubberness where the car tyres go? is it better to be in the middle or on that tyre tracks?

-Indy

skidMark
16th November 2005, 23:10
watch out for buses they cut corners and write off your bike :doh: :angry:

wish id known that one before it happened to me

Indiana_Jones
16th November 2005, 23:14
watch out for buses they cut corners and write off your bike :doh: :angry:

wish id known that one before it happened to me

ochies :(

Man bus drivers are such dicks sometimes :p
I nearly got taken out by 2 in line today :doh:

-Indy

Waylander
16th November 2005, 23:19
when i look at a lane, i see kinda a rubberness where the car tyres go? is it better to be in the middle or on that tyre tracks?

-Indy
Yea ride on the tyre tracks but keep as close to the midle as you can on those. That way you are not too close to another lane or oncoming traffic.

skidMark
16th November 2005, 23:24
ochies :(

Man bus drivers are such dicks sometimes :p
I nearly got taken out by 2 in line today :doh:

-Indy

ive got a thread on it in general ravings

DogBreath
17th November 2005, 00:06
I was tootling along a country road the other day, and noticed the significant difference between the texture of the road where the auto tyres run and the bit in between where they don't.
So I thought to myself, in the dry, stick to the smoother parts where the car tyres run, more surface for the tyres to bite on, and in the wet, ride in the unworn bit, more teeth in the surface to bite your tyres, less water on the surface etc, if you have to stop in a hurry.
Then I slowed down to look at the road surface a bit closer, mmmmmmm, the bit in the middle was spotted with bloody lichen. Imagine how slippery that shit is when wet.
So I guess I'll just run in the worn tyre tracks and trust to maximum road surface contact until I find a better theory.
As for tips, do your laces up, don't wear long scarves, have a piss before setting out else one solid bump = one burst spleen, thats fatal that is. Take sunnies, sunstrike can kill you.
And it doesn't matter how well you know the road, hitting a sheep at speed can be nasty.

I tend to ride in the right hand tyre track.

Used to find when riding to the left that cagers took it as a sign to overtake me in dangerous and inventive places.

Motu
17th November 2005, 06:33
Always stop outside a shop with big windows for awhile on a ride - just to make sure you really do look as cool as you think you do...

Lou Girardin
17th November 2005, 07:52
Work hard. Be good to your mother.

tracyprier
17th November 2005, 08:19
"have a piss before setting out else one solid bump = one burst spleen, thats fatal that is"

Really?? wow never heard that one before... damn, makes me want to nip out for an "empty out" now... :(

*sic
17th November 2005, 13:42
Always stop outside a shop with big windows for awhile on a ride - just to make sure you really do look as cool as you think you do...

best advice ever.

seriously.

Indiana_Jones
17th November 2005, 22:52
best advice ever.

seriously.

I go for the McQueen image :D

DAMN he's cool :D

-Indy

Indiana_Jones
17th November 2005, 23:01
"This is a dangerous lifestyle, we live on the egde" ......but but when you say it, say it in a Bill Paxton voice,

f*cking crack up :lol:

-Indy

sunhuntin
19th November 2005, 14:18
when stopped at a burger joint, sit where you can see your ride. or sit on your ride. make sure your bike has oil in it before going for a long ride. if your bike starts to struggle and you know shes got gas in her, pull the choke for a few seconds and then push it back in.

come back to me in ten years, im sure ill have better advice by then! LOL.

Uncle B
19th November 2005, 14:38
When following a truck.....golden rule is.....
IF YOU CAN'T SEE THEIR MIRRORS, THEY CAN'T SEE YOU

Plus little things like...
Manhole covers
Road markings
Diesel
Catseyes
Road Kill
Police
Roadworks
Gravel
Kids
Farmers on Tractors or Quads
Livestock
Kamakaze motorcyclists practising racing lines on the road
The over 60's driver
Birds
All Road Users

ManDownUnder
19th November 2005, 15:04
don't eat yellow snow

eh what? But there's so much up at the skifields (under the trees in case you don't know where to look)

It's lemon flavoured isn't it?

Zapf
19th November 2005, 20:39

correct... except on faster country roads.. where the wheel tracks can be rutted, or shiny. In that case even in the rain you rather have the tire on the patch with more friction... so that would be the center non shiny patch.

Oil patch rule generally applies to city or when approching stop lights.

And towards the exit of longer sweeping corners.. its better to take the center or left of your lane... as the outside wheel track can be well worn as well

Zed
19th November 2005, 21:04
Wondering if anybody's interested in sharing any biking tips they may have picked up during their years of experience.Off the Zed cuff:

Unless unavoidable, don't park your motorcycle on a slope.

NEVER pass another vehicle on a blind corner. How many of us have been guilty of that even once!

Be very diligent about knowing your bike's fuel usage and capacity, and make sure you check the tank level at least three times a day!!! Lol, check it regularly anyway.

If there is even a hint of possible night riding, ensure you change your tinted helmet visor to clear, or take both visors with you and change them over when the sun goes down.

Find out what your own pace and limits are on your bike/s, and with that understanding ride accordingly *at your own pace* on group rides especially.

Go and do a track day, or two, or many. You will be pleasantly surprised how much it will help and improve your riding. As Nike said "Just Do It".

Mush
20th November 2005, 08:01
This ones a bit odd, but we got taught in class (xray 101) that if you "evacuate" your bowels and bladder in the middle of a crash your a hell of a lot less likely to sustain injuries to your midsection (soft tissue or bone). I think it has something to do with being completely relaxed at the time of impact: a tense body is much more likely to break.. i'd just hate to be the ED staff cleaning that one up. Oh yeah and make sure your wearing your best undies.. no granny panties there ladies.

Warr
20th November 2005, 08:39
Off the Zed cuff:
Be very diligent about knowing your bike's fuel usage and capacity, and make sure you check the tank level at least three times a day!!! Lol, check it regularly anyway.

Further to that Zed....
I know the range of my bike so every fill-up I zero the Trip Meter and no problems.
I also always fill up tank completey and write on the receipt the mileage and trip meter, so easy to calculate later gas usage for a given style of riding.

Zed
20th November 2005, 08:58
Further to that Zed....
I know the range of my bike so every fill-up I zero the Trip Meter and no problems.
I also always fill up tank completey and write on the receipt the mileage and trip meter, so easy to calculate later gas usage for a given style of riding.That's what i'm talking about! :hitcher:

Badcat
20th November 2005, 09:03
Im a bit of a noob but the first real lesson I had was about 'target fixation'.

I found out when I got into trouble in a corner and jammed on the brakes that I stared at the one thing I didnt want to hit....the barrier. I was 'target fixated' and since you tend to steer towards the thing you are looking at it I was soon 'barrier fixated'.

So lesson is: if you jam on the brakes and get into trouble, look where you WANT to go, not where you DONT want to go.
2c.

i think this is one of the best pieces of advice regarding motorcycling.
good work skelstar.
k

Zed
20th November 2005, 09:08
I found out when I got into trouble in a corner and jammed on the brakes...Another great tip is to NOT apply your brakes in a corner, before the corner yes, during the corner no. Of course in an emergency situation like the above mentioned you may need to apply some brake, but if they jam you have applied too much!

T.W.R
20th November 2005, 09:20
learn to cadence brake when you need to wipe of speed in a hurry! (don't just grab a handful of anchor)
use a small length of garden hose to lift out/and replace spark plugs and start them in their threads
don't piss into the wind

Raven
20th November 2005, 17:13
I think this covers everything

Rules of Riding a Motorcycle

1. Owning a motorcycle is mandatory. It’s a man thing.

2. Having legs long enough to touch the ground is optional. For those that can’t a centre stand is mandatory.

3. . Always try to keep the number of arrivals you make equal to the number of departures you've made

4. When you wind the throttle on the corners come up quicker and the probability of survival is inversely proportional to the speed of arrival. High speed of arrival, small probability of survival and vice versa.

5. The use of curbs in cornering is not recommended.

6. After cornering too fast try to low side the bike even though high siding has a better view and being somewhere the bike isn’t is a good idea.

7. Informing your pillion you are about to pop a wheelie is optional unless of course you wish to live with them, in which case it’s mandatory.

8. It’s always a good idea to keep the front wheel in front of the back when moving forwards.

9. If all you can see is ground that's going round and round and all you can hear is screaming from your pillion, things are not at all as they should be.

10. The only time you have too much fuel is when your bike is on fire.

11. Riding isn’t dangerous, crashing is.

12. A good ride is one that you walk away from.

13. A great ride is one where you can use the bike again.

14. Shorts, t-shirt, thongs and cool sunnies are mandatory riding equipment.

15. Leathers and a helmet are for girls so therefore optional however they conviently hold all the pieces together after crashing.

16. Trees, lightpoles and other imovable objects are to be avoided at all times.

17. Cage drivers don’t hate you, they just love to run over you.

18. Wear bright clothing at all times so that the cages can see what they are hitting.

19. . In the ongoing battle between objects made of aluminum going a 180 miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose.

20. Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself

21. Never let a motorcycle take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier.

22. You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

23. Remember, gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law. And it's not subject to repeal.

24. The three most useless things to a motorcyclist are the distance you’ve come, the road behind you, and a tenth of a second ago.

Swoop
20th November 2005, 17:26
I think this covers everything

Rules of Riding a Motorcycle

1. Owning a motorcycle is mandatory. It’s a man thing.

2. Having legs long enough to touch the ground is optional. For those that can’t a centre stand is mandatory.

3. . Always try to keep the number of arrivals you make equal to the number of departures you've made

4. When you wind the throttle on the corners come up quicker and the probability of survival is inversely proportional to the speed of arrival. High speed of arrival, small probability of survival and vice versa.

5. The use of curbs in cornering is not recommended.

6. After cornering too fast try to low side the bike even though high siding has a better view and being somewhere the bike isn’t is a good idea.

7. Informing your pillion you are about to pop a wheelie is optional unless of course you wish to live with them, in which case it’s mandatory.

8. It’s always a good idea to keep the front wheel in front of the back when moving forwards.

9. If all you can see is ground that's going round and round and all you can hear is screaming from your pillion, things are not at all as they should be.

10. The only time you have too much fuel is when your bike is on fire.

11. Riding isn’t dangerous, crashing is.

12. A good ride is one that you walk away from.

13. A great ride is one where you can use the bike again.

14. Shorts, t-shirt, thongs and cool sunnies are mandatory riding equipment.

15. Leathers and a helmet are for girls so therefore optional however they conviently hold all the pieces together after crashing.

16. Trees, lightpoles and other imovable objects are to be avoided at all times.

17. Cage drivers don’t hate you, they just love to run over you.

18. Wear bright clothing at all times so that the cages can see what they are hitting.

19. . In the ongoing battle between objects made of aluminum going a 180 miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose.

20. Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself

21. Never let a motorcycle take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier.

22. You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

23. Remember, gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law. And it's not subject to repeal.

24. The three most useless things to a motorcyclist are the distance you’ve come, the road behind you, and a tenth of a second ago.

Stolen from Aircraft/flying some time ago perhaps...???
And #14 can fuck off for a start!:bash: