PDA

View Full Version : Well that's it then...

News Story (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/15/vehicle_movement_database/)

How long do you think it will take before it makes it over here? Not long I'll wager. :nono:

Colapop
17th November 2005, 10:35
That's BS!! Civil libitarians will have a field day if they tried to bring that in here. Unfortunately they'll probably still introduce it via the back door

Dadpole
17th November 2005, 12:08
They will start with a transponder (to deter vehicle theft of course) then the add-on of reg. data then speed monitoring. No more radar - just a ticket in the post every time you speed. Don't forget the tax for each km of road you use.

All part of a plan to get WINJA

madboy
17th November 2005, 12:14
All this says to me is leave my numberplate in the garage and make friends with someone with enough electronic knowledge to get around the transponder. F*** taking this sorta shit lying down.

bugjuice
17th November 2005, 12:21
glad I moved here. Hate to have a bike over there now..
Big Brother is just too demanding over there. The government sucks big hairy balls, and I hate the lot of them. I was so fukin glad to escape that country..
nice to visit, shite to live. Just so over it..

glad I moved here. Hate to have a bike over there now..
Big Brother is just too demanding over there. The government sucks big hairy balls, and I hate the lot of them. I was so fukin glad to escape that country..
nice to visit, shite to live. Just so over it..

Tell me about it.

Have a look at the airports and ferries in the uk at the moment and all you'll see is the English leaving in droves, and loads of eastern europeans coming in to replace them.

Did a bit of night work in a factory before coming over here... used to get in a few temps from the local recruitment agency... every night would be a different Check, Lituanian, Iraqi, Serb, you name it they were all flooding in.

At least there's a bit of border control over here. :yes:

riffer
17th November 2005, 12:27
Just a thought, but it probably has to be wired into some point in the harness to be able to run without needing batteries replaced.

A fuse could accidentally blow. :yes:

Time to buy a dirt bike if this comes in I reckon.

ScumKiller2
17th November 2005, 12:30
name it they were all flooding in.

At least there's a bit of border control over here. :yes:

Some border control, they let all the bloody pommes in! :p

Some border control, they let all the bloody pommes in! :p

I take objection to that comment dear sir. I demand a duel!

ScumKiller2
17th November 2005, 12:43
A duel eh? Is that a "poche" word for a TL1000?

PS - nice sig, my girlfriend is your mum. :lol:

*sic
17th November 2005, 12:46
hmm, this would suck donkeys balls, i mean if this came in i wouldnt be able to keep all my mistresses...

ffs.

Lou Girardin
17th November 2005, 13:19
That's BS!! Civil libitarians will have a field day if they tried to bring that in here. Unfortunately they'll probably still introduce it via the back door

Most of the 'road safety' measures are introduced through our back doors.

Ixion
17th November 2005, 13:44
Hm. So this would require a massive IT project , on a very large scale, with a need for guaranteed accuracy, and (due to the close politcial scrutiny) stringent budgetary control. And the project will require to deliver a robust , reliable, userfriendly , peer reviewable solution, on time, within budget.

Right. Don't think there's too much to worry about.

Colapop
17th November 2005, 14:43
Most of the 'road safety' measures are introduced through our back doors.

Is that why they use "reams" of paper to print tickets on?
(Double entendre)

Dadpole
17th November 2005, 14:48
Hm. So this would require a massive IT project

So true. We would have to pay for the transponder/gps unit though. The powers that be were waffling on about compulsory immobiliser/anti theft units some time back. However, you would be right about the rest of the system. Judging by recent projects, I can see a few more years of irresponsible behaviour for us all. :2thumbsup

ScumKiller2
17th November 2005, 14:49
Is that why they use "reams" of paper to print tickets on?
(Double entendre)

And then they stick the bloody things up our arses. :blink: (subtle entendre)

_

SlashWylde
17th November 2005, 19:45
Fuck that shit, this world is growing more and more Orwellian by the day. Damned humans getting too smart for their own good. No matter, us techie types will soon figure out ways to circumvent this technology - it's just another challenge.

Da Bird
18th November 2005, 01:50
News Story (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/15/vehicle_movement_database/)

How long do you think it will take before it makes it over here? Not long I'll wager. :nono:

I'm sure you'll all be glad to hear ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) is likely to be trialled in NZ in 2006 so thats the first step to the so called National Vehicle Register scenario in the story. I would say if they (the Govt) followed the UK in that respect, maybe 4-5 years away.

BC.

SPORK
18th November 2005, 06:30
I'm sure you'll all be glad to hear ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) is likely to be trialled in NZ in 2006 so thats the first step to the so called National Vehicle Register scenario in the story. I would say if they (the Govt) followed the UK in that respect, maybe 4-5 years away.

BC.
Seriously, what the hell. Can't the people do anything about this?! We have rights dammit!

SARGE
18th November 2005, 06:35
We have rights dammit!

thats the funniest thing ive heard in weeks .. thanks for the laugh...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SPORK
18th November 2005, 06:44
thats the funniest thing ive heard in weeks .. thanks for the laugh...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I thought as much. Well, we're SUPPOSED to have rights.

But yeah, doesn't there need to be some politititiicician vote or something for this? And they wouldn't bother putting them cameras around the backroads, would they?

Waylander
18th November 2005, 06:51
Cameras on the back roads, they had better have someone watching the actuall camera box 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Otherwise peaple will just go and cut them down.

As for the GPS in the plate, as Slash said, wont be long before techs figure out a way around them. Or peaple will just steal plates off other vehicles.

SPORK
18th November 2005, 06:57
Cameras on the back roads, they had better have someone watching the actuall camera box 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Otherwise peaple will just go and cut them down.

As for the GPS in the plate, as Slash said, wont be long before techs figure out a way around them. Or peaple will just steal plates off other vehicles.
...Or people will go ghostridering.

"A high powered Suzuki racebike emerges from a lockup in Upper Hutt..."

wendigo
18th November 2005, 07:01
What I liked was the link to the story of the Swiss driver and the gatso at the bottom of the article.

Choice!

Yeah, I thought as much. Well, we're SUPPOSED to have rights.

But yeah, doesn't there need to be some politititiicician vote or something for this? And they wouldn't bother putting them cameras around the backroads, would they?

Well the political argument will be the same as it has been in the uk for ages, and that's that;

A. They're for saftey - THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!
and
B. If you're not doing anything illegal then you've nothing to worry about - classic

Lets look at it this way... why should the polititians give a shit... Helen Clark was speeding to get to a rugby game, but because she wasn't driving she wasn't the one who got the ticket. :nono:

mdb
20th December 2005, 21:10
Seems daft when the percentage of unregistered/uninsured cars on the road must be quite small. It also seems that those who persist in this don't bother paying their fines so fat lot of use that would be.

Interestingly when I lived in London (2000-2004) they introduced the congestion charge (you drive into central London you have to pay 5 quid). This was enforced with cameras taking picks of your number plate then cross-referencing it against the payment database. Several problems arose where people were getting fines for not paying when they lived 500 miles out of London and had never visited the place (car identity theft).

danb
20th December 2005, 21:40
Screw this. :puke: We all get on our bikes when this comes in and hoon it. See how many thousand of dollars we gather up and find a paper shredder for the bills, even better send the bills to the person who gave the go ahead for the system
If everyone kept on doing over the speed limit and got fines eventually there would be no one on the roads due to them loosing there licenses. Put up your hand up if you have never gone over the speed limit. Err no one will be able to put there hands up. Even the 80 year olds and Asians will meet grief with this. :rofl:

Seriously I cannot see this coming in. All hell will break loose and I don’t think any government will what to "loose votes" for this system, also not to mention how much this system will cost. I could see maintenance costs being a high issue as people trying to fool it and break sensors etc. :shake:

danb
20th December 2005, 21:45
Seems daft when the percentage of unregistered/uninsured cars on the road must be quite small. It also seems that those who persist in this don't bother paying their fines so fat lot of use that would be.

Interestingly when I lived in London (2000-2004) they introduced the congestion charge (you drive into central London you have to pay 5 quid). This was enforced with cameras taking picks of your number plate then cross-referencing it against the payment database. Several problems arose where people were getting fines for not paying when they lived 500 miles out of London and had never visited the place (car identity theft).

Sounds like a case of the revolving number plate i.e. in the film transporter 2.
How about a digital number plate made out of an LCD screen?

Pixie
20th December 2005, 23:26
Seriously I cannot see this coming in. All hell will break loose and I don’t think any government will what to "loose votes" for this system, also not to mention how much this system will cost. I could see maintenance costs being a high issue as people trying to fool it and break sensors etc. :shake:
If anything like this was to be institued, Kiwis will do what kiwis always do in responce to unpopular govt initiatives:
Whinge a lot and then bend over and spread 'em.