PDA

View Full Version : A query for the Wellington based bods

RnB Fan
17th November 2005, 14:40
My family and I are going to the Wairarapa for the weekend and I was considering riding my bike over the "hill" from Wellington. It's a road/trail DR 250 and having never ridden over the Rimutaka's before I was wondering if my bike was up to it? Any views?

riffer
17th November 2005, 14:42
Your bike will be fine.

Enjoy the ride :yes:

madboy
17th November 2005, 14:51
Just watch out for low-flying sportsbikes...

Drum
17th November 2005, 15:08
The state that road is in at the moment, a trail bike is almost a minimum requirement.

skelstar
17th November 2005, 15:10
Youll be fine mate. I went over there with a guy on a DR200 and was gunning it.

RnB Fan
17th November 2005, 15:14
Thanks for the response - now all I have to do is convince the wife that she has to drive the car (and kids) over "that hill". Wish me luck!

Sparky Bills
17th November 2005, 15:17
Thanks for the response - now all I have to do is convince the wife that she has to drive the car (and kids) over "that hill". Wish me luck!

AH HA!!
You just dont want to be going over that hill in th car with the kids!
I like your thinking buddy!:lol:

Hitcher
17th November 2005, 20:03
Just stay on the road and you'll be fine.

SEAGULL
23rd November 2005, 11:59
Did this ride on my Harley 4 months ago, enjoyed the experience, couple of 180 degree bends so don't take them too wide, some dickhead in a Porche' cage nearly wiped me out on one corner, came round on my side of the yellow lines, just as well I was on two wheels. proberbly some wine drinker in a hurry to get home to his cocktails with the fluzey that was with him. Best of luck, really nice on a sunny day.:dodge:

Jonty
23rd November 2005, 12:02
your bike will be fine - just watch the wind!!

James Deuce
23rd November 2005, 12:14

It's no big deal. There's 13 km of winding roads and some roadworks down by Te Marua. People blow "the hill" out of all proportion. It takes my wife, who used to be VERY timid driver 45-50 minutes to get from Carterton to Maungaraki, a distance of 72 km. In a very avergae Mitsubishi Galant I might add.

Whenever we go over there I take the bike and she takes the kids. Often she will make a couple of trips during the week. I work with a bloke who commutes from Gladstone.

It's fun on a bike though, and trail bike is ideal at the moment.

snuffles
23rd November 2005, 13:11
It's no big deal. There's 13 km of winding roads and some roadworks down by Te Marua. People blow "the hill" out of all proportion. It takes my wife, who used to be VERY timid driver 45-50 minutes to get from Carterton to Maungaraki, a distance of 72 km. In a very avergae Mitsubishi Galant I might add.

Whenever we go over there I take the bike and she takes the kids. Often she will make a couple of trips during the week. I work with a bloke who commutes from Gladstone.

It's fun on a bike though, and trail bike is ideal at the moment.

as long as you dont bin it in the gutter of the road??????? Jim

RnB Fan
28th November 2005, 13:59
Thanks for all ther feedback. I went over and back the weekend before last and what an interesting trip it turned out to be. Went over the Friday late afternoon and apart from the roadworks (plenty of them too!) the ride was a breeze - I don't know what I was worried about. Came home on the Sunday afternoon and it was a different story. The wind was shocking! I was all over the road and spent most of the time absolutely pooing myself. Interesting experience but I survived and learnt from it.

Slingshot
30th November 2005, 21:43
Youll be fine mate. I went over there with a guy on a DR200 and was gunning it.

"Gunning it"....Really??? :banana:

riffer
30th November 2005, 22:37
Two guys on a DR200 - you'd have to thrash it to keep up with the traffic :lol:

where2now
1st December 2005, 10:59
Nah, not 2-up, we were on an organised newbie ride. Great day and the DR handled ok on the hill. I know the hill fairly well so was probably cornering enthusiastically. Truth be told I was concerned about holding everyone up, even thought I would overtake on a passing lane and had to suffer the ignomy of not having enough grunt and having to pull back in!