PDA

View Full Version : LANE SPLITTING- ANYONE GOT THE LAW

Test Pilot
18th November 2005, 11:42
Iv heard so many different stories and laws from all different people and really want to find out for sure. Are we allowed to go down the side of traffic as long as we are in the right hand side of the lane so we are technically passing the vehicle and not undercutting the vehicle in the right lane???

If anyone has the answer and even better the act or what section it is under that would be wicked, id like to print it out and carry a copy with me at all times.

For those off you that battle auckland traffic everyday, youl understand the reason for my ??. And just for those who try to give the whole its dangerous and u shouldnt do it speech, cheers for the concern but if done safely and at the right times it can save 20mins on a ride to work, and i have thought about the possibility of being hit, so once again thanks for the concern but just after straight answers thanks

Sniper
18th November 2005, 11:43
See the nice search button at the top of the page?

bugjuice
18th November 2005, 11:45
this is what I ride by (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=153758&postcount=11)

do a search for 'filtering' or 'splitting' and you'll get a thousand posts on the topic ;)

Str8 Jacket
18th November 2005, 11:55
See the nice search button at the top of the page?

Did you take the blue pill this morning?... :whistle:

heavenly.talker
18th November 2005, 16:12
Did you take the blue pill this morning?... :whistle:

Oh shit...and I was thinking I did good for taking the green one?

Hitcher
18th November 2005, 18:17
Lane splitting? What's that all about? Is that the same thing as filtering? Isn't it illegal on any day that hasn't got a Y in it?

I want to build a room that echoes
Around and around and around with its own sound
Around and around I don't need to be there
Around and around and around with its own sound
A sound that no-one else can hear.

marty
18th November 2005, 18:21
it's that black cat shaking its leg again. agents i tell ya - agents...

marty
18th November 2005, 18:32
it's that black cat shaking its leg again. agents i tell ya - agents...

marty
18th November 2005, 18:33
spooky .....

bugjuice
18th November 2005, 18:35
Charlie Boarman told me (bein his mate n all), that in the UK, they actually teach it as part of the CBT, and it's ok.. I guess within reason..

so why the UK cop is doing you for your tinted visor, it's ok if you lane split to get away from him...

boomer
18th November 2005, 20:04
Charlie Boarman told me (bein his mate n all), that in the UK, they actually teach it as part of the CBT, and it's ok.. I guess within reason..

Charlie says.....

This may not be so funny unless your a pom with a good memory

Good Girl
1st December 2005, 22:21
To answer your Question there :sunny: boy, there is no specific law for that riding style.
It all depends on the police officer that pulls you over, or how much of an arse or non arse you are.

It could be classed as one of the following:

An inconsiderate passing manoeuvres
Dangerous driving,
Reckless driving
or :Police: may just pass you by.

O TO HAVE SUCH POWER:kick: :2guns: :ar15: :stoogie: :Police: :spudwhat:

Charlie says.....

This may not be so funny unless your a pom with a good memory

That like Charlie Dimmock. Hmm... jury's still out on that one.

vtec
2nd December 2005, 09:33
or :Police: may just pass you by.

Usually when lanesplitting you pass the cops by. If you are splitting, generally it means that the cops are stuck in traffic, so they might not like it, but hey, they've never chased me up about it. Just make sure you check in the back windows of all Holdens and Fords before making the manoeuvre for the little square lights, and always just shift to the furthest lanes to split from the cops when you see them. If you aren't in a hurry, just settle in a couple of cars back. But if you want to not give them a chance, then just change to the furthest lane from them and split quicker so they can't see your plate, this works for me.

Once I was splitting on the motorway (3 lanes) and I saw some cock in a Holden further up move over to block my progress, but I knew I could fit through anyway. This kind of pissed me off, so I nailed it through the small gap full on the throttle, and just as I passed he let out a loud "whoop" noise from his police box :mellow: Scared the shit out of me, cause I was right next to it. Still, I didn't stop, just moved to between the left and middle lanes so he couldn't catch my plate, and hooned up that way. :motu:

R1madness
2nd December 2005, 12:20
There was an letter in the Kiwi rider mag a few months ago by a high ranking police official that basicly said if you are doing it on the right hand side of the car and do not cross the center line it is legal so long as all the traffic has its indicators on to turn left. Other than that it is illegal but it would be a hard cop to give a ticket so long as you were not being a complete dick about it.
Here in CHCH we filter up both sides of the traffic and the cage drivers dont seem to care too much neither do the cops (yet).

sAsLEX
2nd December 2005, 12:38
high ranking police official that basicly said if you are doing it on the right hand side of the car and do not cross the center line it is legal so long as all the traffic has its indicators on to turn left.
hy needs to learn the law then as you can pass on the right wether they are indicating left or not, but you can only pass on the left if they are indicating right in order to make a turn etc

R1madness
3rd December 2005, 06:23
hy needs to learn the law then as you can pass on the right wether they are indicating left or not, but you can only pass on the left if they are indicating right in order to make a turn etc

Good spotting. It was me that got it wrong :slap: ....... you are right...... you can only pass on the left if they are indicating right....... right? Right.

sedge
3rd December 2005, 10:15
About time there was a sticky on this one, it comes up every week...

Whenever you do it, watch for cops, assume it's illegal and suck it in if you get pulled for it.

While the law is in a half arsed state cops will ignore you doing it unless you are being a cock and doing it dangerously.

Don't write to the cops and ask for a definitive ruling on it, the ruling will be 'it's illegal' and then we're all fucked.

Sedge.

FROSTY
3rd December 2005, 10:35
Short version --If ya gonna split lanes then dont be a dickhead about it--really fast or really stupid overtaking. Keep ya eyes peeled for errattic drivers.

Personally I dont look at my speedo/revcounter/mirrors if Im gonna filter
I'm watching that funnel of cars in front -Im watching about 150m in front and all 3 lanes -Its a cyclic scan from 1.0m in front of me and either side out 150m and out both sides--BUTonly in front
If I wanna check behind I find a spot to travel with the traffic and then check mirrors.

TLDV8
7th December 2005, 12:09
The last time i had some confusion on the legalities of this subject,a nice mr man on a BMW cleared things up by giving me a ticket choice...dangerous driving or not using the lane provided... i took the latter,thats a while ago but do not think the stance has changed or will.

buellbabe
7th December 2005, 13:52
While i was being ticketed for going up Stanley St onramp using the "breakdown lane" ( grrr!!!!! ) I asked the cop and he said 'Yep ya can lane split if ya do it safely and considerately' but i really think it depends on the mood of the cop at the time eh!

Jeez when are they gonna give us a motorcycle lane????
AAArrgh!

Test Pilot
16th December 2005, 10:55
i do it past cops now but only when the traffic is moving slow and i go real slow, havnt had a problem yet

metric
19th December 2005, 19:06
it's been a weekend of it...

was on the way to king kong last night (back late-ish from fishing) and got pulled over for splitting

I didn't actually hear the cops behind me until they whacked their sirens on... I pulled over straight away, and the cop came charging up and yanked the keys from my bike

I calmly stepped away from the bike, he appeared to be fuming!

anyway, long story short, they thought I was doing a runner, I told them I couldn't hear them... however no ticket for speeding (which I'm pretty sure I wasn't - just overtaking sunday drivers along tamaki drive) but they said they'll post out a ticket for unsafe lane changing or something

they clarified that you can't use the middle lane for over taking however... I"m surprised by that, I was of the impression that you could, provided it wasn't a dangerous manoeuver over the speed limit etc

Lou Girardin
20th December 2005, 07:04
they clarified that you can't use the middle lane for over taking however... I"m surprised by that, I was of the impression that you could, provided it wasn't a dangerous manoeuver over the speed limit etc

Define "middle lane", Tamaki Dr is either 2 or 4 lane isn't it?

Divot
20th December 2005, 14:42

Middle lane on Tamaki Drive? You dont mean the middle of the road that has cross hatching on, known as a flush medium. Which is techicnaly and island, which is against the law to use. Except for 50 meters prior to a road that your are turning into.

Or something like that

Marmoot
20th December 2005, 15:17
*snip*... if you are doing it on the right hand side of the car and do not cross the center line it is legal so long as all the traffic has its indicators on to turn left....*snip*

I got a ticket 5 years ago on Northern M'way (between Northcote and Esmonde) by a bike cop. $150 for "Passing on the left when prohibited".
He basically said I am allowed to lanesplit as long as I stay within right hand side of the vehicle I am passing in the lane I am splitting. If I cross the line and get into the next lane, I'll be passing on the left and that is prohibited.

I guess the logic is that drivers are more aware of what's going on in right wing mirror than in left wing mirror.

As a sidenote, I was directed to use the emergency lane once. 6 years ago, there was a truck overturned and blocked BOTH motorway traffic north and south at Manurewa/papakura ramps (perhaps someone remembers? It took cages aout 6 hours from Ham to Auck). I was carefully lanesplitting in between totally-stopped traffic when I came upon a cop car. The cop kindly pointed me to the emergency lane, which I then took happily and cut down hours of my travel time. The traffic jam was like the one in War of The Worlds.

mdb
20th December 2005, 20:29
I've never been stopped and do it nearly everyday on SH2 (Welly). I've even followed a cop on a bike between traffic (he was a little slow for my liking tho)!

Fatjim
20th December 2005, 20:43
I've never been stopped and do it nearly everyday on SH2 (Welly). I've even followed a cop on a bike between traffic (he was a little slow for my liking tho)!

Ditto, on SH2 in welly 2.

Even had marked coppers pull out of my way.

Lets keep it that way in Wellington by not being complete plonkers when splitting eh.

Divot
22nd December 2005, 20:06
I got a ticket 5 years ago on Northern M'way (between Northcote and Esmonde) by a bike cop. $150 for "Passing on the left when prohibited".

That was 5 years ago, they should be a bit more friendly now

NinjaBoy
22nd December 2005, 20:23
As a sidenote, I was directed to use the emergency lane once.

I can do one better than that. Cruising up Southern southbound towards the Wydham St on ramp. Lucky me had the HP right behind. Eventually the traffic grinds to a halt. Aware of who was behind I didn't attempt to lane split... however after some time passed... the nice officer got out the car and walked up to me.... " you can go up the middle if you're really careful" :niceone:

Skyryder
23rd December 2005, 07:06
this is what I ride by (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=153758&postcount=11)

do a search for 'filtering' or 'splitting' and you'll get a thousand posts on the topic ;)

And not one definitive answer. That's got to say something about how well this law is understood.

Skyryder

APPLE
23rd December 2005, 07:54
dunno man,wouldnt hav a clue?i jus go straight 2 pole position.if theres a gap?i'll take it.

TLDV8
23rd December 2005, 08:41
And not one definitive answer. That's got to say something about how well this law is understood.

Skyryder

Page 1.....

The last time i had some confusion on the legalities of this subject,a nice mr man on a BMW cleared things up by giving me a ticket choice...dangerous driving or not using the lane provided... i took the latter,thats a while ago but do not think the stance has changed or will.

Marmoot
23rd December 2005, 08:58
I can do one better than that. Cruising up Southern southbound towards the Wydham St on ramp. Lucky me had the HP right behind. Eventually the traffic grinds to a halt. Aware of who was behind I didn't attempt to lane split... however after some time passed... the nice officer got out the car and walked up to me.... " you can go up the middle if you're really careful" :niceone:

the only way to better that one is if you get stuck in traffic with an HP car behind you, then out comes a gorgeous blonde officer to you and said "not much of a speed trap here now. Can you give me a ride while I have free time? We can use the emergency lane".

:love:

Skyryder
24th December 2005, 07:05
Page 1.....

Point taken. I do it rarely, but keep a sharp eye out for both arseholes and cops. Seemed like you got both in one.

Skyryder

metric
28th December 2005, 09:21
Define "middle lane", Tamaki Dr is either 2 or 4 lane isn't it?

yeah, the flush median strip down the middle...

marty
28th December 2005, 10:58

Skyryder

whether or not it's understood by joe public doesn't really enter into it. the law is fairly precise about it.

TRAFFIC REGULATIONS 1976
PART 2 - DRIVING RULES

8. Overtaking
(1) No driver shall pass or attempt to pass on the left of another vehicle moving in the same direction unless:
(a) The movement can be made with safety and is made with due consideration for other users of the road; and
(b) Either
(i) The 2 vehicles are in different lanes; or
(ii) The overtaken vehicle is stationary or its driver has given or is giving the prescribed signal of his intention to turn to the right.

metric
28th December 2005, 14:04
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/roadcode/key-driving-skills/passing.html

check out this link to passing...

Swoop
28th December 2005, 20:03
In that shity traffic tonight i was city bound on the southern from EP Hwy thru to North Shore.. Split past 5 cops in that time... 1 was a motorway support so wasnt too concerned there, and one was a D's car, but the other three were proper motorways guys... no problemo.
??? What's with the "busted 11 weeks to go" then?

boomer
30th December 2005, 11:28
I think Busted is quite apt :moon:

Rincewind
10th January 2006, 22:19
Iv heard so many different stories and laws from all different people and really want to find out for sure. Are we allowed to go down the side of traffic as long as we are in the right hand side of the lane so we are technically passing the vehicle and not undercutting the vehicle in the right lane???

If anyone has the answer and even better the act or what section it is under that would be wicked, id like to print it out and carry a copy with me at all times.

For those off you that battle auckland traffic everyday, youl understand the reason for my ??. And just for those who try to give the whole its dangerous and u shouldnt do it speech, cheers for the concern but if done safely and at the right times it can save 20mins on a ride to work, and i have thought about the possibility of being hit, so once again thanks for the concern but just after straight answers thanks

Can't see the point of sitting behind a great line of cages waiting for the lights to change so I always filter,I reckon if youg et booked it's bad luck,but it wouldn't stop me filtering just look at it as a form of get home early tax !!

bigbadwolf
3rd February 2006, 19:22
So what does everyone do when filtering? I haven't been riding long (i.e. 3 days) but have felt the need to filter a couple of times (why should I stay behind a 50 car standstill?)...

I have found that I become very nervous if I filter between two lanes of cars. I felt a lot safer when I did it on the very left of the stationary traffic. Should I be doing this? Or should I be filtering on the right where there is more than one lane?

thehovel
4th February 2006, 21:23
Filtering is DANGEROUS . If any thing goes wrong you are in the wrong . Having said that there are a few rules that will keep you alive a little bit longer. First be able to ride with out thinking eg no more brain activity than walking. Only Filter at no more than 10km faster than the traffic to a max of 50km. Start slowly at first no more than lane changers to openings that exist between the cars in the next lane. Look for paterns in the traffic flow. Beware of gaps that cars can suddenly swerve into. Also watch out for trailers ,they are usaly wider than the car that is towing it and the driver doesn't always remember this. When filtering on the motorway cars lane change when slowing down when the traffic is at 40 - 50km they usally stop. I find that filtering in the left of the fast lane is best because there is less places for the cars to go in to. SO BEWARE OF GAPPS. Remember start slowly. Redards Richard

stify
4th February 2006, 21:34
SO BEWARE OF GAPPS. Remember start slowly. Redards Richard

fuck i'd beware of spellin mistooks

Streetwise
13th February 2006, 21:20
The trick is just dont get caught....the coppers dont really care i think unless you are screaming down the centre being a pain in the ass,

runed
15th February 2006, 00:17
lane splitting close calls on my Hornet

I almost drove into someone's face once when a driver open the door wanting to access the boot, he didn't even look in the mirror, and I break hard, stopped my front wheel 2 inches from his face ( while he is looking at the rear after door opened ) Lucky he is a young man, otherwise he might have a heart attack and I might be charge with careless use of motovehicle causing death (without contact !!!!!)

Another incident was Friday night queen street, drunk boys at the back seat of a car just reach out of his window and try to do a High 5 :weird: scared the hell out of me :slap:

Lesson learned and lucky no one got hurt, Now, If I am between lanes, I take it VERY SLOW, idle speed on 1st :blink: and also wear my ver bright YELLOW REFLECTED VEST over my leather, call me anything and I don't care :2thumbsup

Xtat1k
15th February 2006, 14:21
Usually when lanesplitting you pass the cops by. If you are splitting, generally it means that the cops are stuck in traffic, so they might not like it, but hey, they've never chased me up about it. Just make sure you check in the back windows of all Holdens and Fords before making the manoeuvre for the little square lights, and always just shift to the furthest lanes to split from the cops when you see them. If you aren't in a hurry, just settle in a couple of cars back. But if you want to not give them a chance, then just change to the furthest lane from them and split quicker so they can't see your plate, this works for me.

Once I was splitting on the motorway (3 lanes) and I saw some cock in a Holden further up move over to block my progress, but I knew I could fit through anyway. This kind of pissed me off, so I nailed it through the small gap full on the throttle, and just as I passed he let out a loud "whoop" noise from his police box :mellow: Scared the shit out of me, cause I was right next to it. Still, I didn't stop, just moved to between the left and middle lanes so he couldn't catch my plate, and hooned up that way. :motu:

thats pretty much what bikeycop said a while back. i think the other thing is that its also legal if traffic is travelling at under 50kmh you can pass at no more than 30kmh faster than there speed as long as you do not exceed 50kmh, something along those lines anyways. If they're stuck in traffic who cares good luck to them lol.:dodge:

Zapf
15th February 2006, 21:48
some woman passanger decide to get out of the car while it was waiting at the lights. Only to see a bike + biker (me) bearing down on her.... hence she jumped back into the car and close the door to let me pass before getting out again.... (funny.... I would have let her out and close the door) before carrying on myself.

she was wearing fluro vest.... saying something like "Contract delivery service" and it was in Auckland city.

pzkpfw
16th February 2006, 08:03
I drive my wife and I to work. (When the full license comes we might start bike-commuting...).

A few weeks back (Wellington, just came down the gorge, comming to the interchange, in right hand lane) she opens her door as her skirt was caught in it and hanging out.

Didn't look in her mirror first, and I had no chance to stop her.

Just as she opens it a lane splitting bike comes by (not wildly quick or anything).

If she'd opened the door any wider... Ouch.

So apologies to that rider, and a reminder to everyone that you just don't know what the people in those cars will do.

Cheers,

peterjdaly
4th March 2006, 20:51
...............would be safe if it weren't for the tossers coming the other way who want to turn right..............by the way, using cycle lanes is worth $150. You might get a ticket for it one day, so use them a lot and get your moneys worth.