PDA

View Full Version : CB900 Hornet - Factory exhaust mod (resonator in factory muffler?)

Zapf
18th November 2005, 12:11
I am thinking of modifying my factory muffler for a better sound (louder), would like to retain the grunty sound and factory heat shield look. So I am thinking of getting a muffler place to open up the factory muffler and then replacing the insides with a coby resonator

Has anyone done something similar or have an idea if it'll sound any good?

Cheers

Devil
18th November 2005, 12:46
I read about doing it yourself, you can basically remove part of the core. Damned if I can find it now, it was on a hornet/919 owners site.

Personally, I'd leave the stock cans alone and get a pair of Akrapovic SP series mufflers for the bike. Totally sexy. Was going to get them if I got the hornet.

Comes with carbon heatshields.

http://www.akrapovic-ai.si/main/catalog/honda/cb900_2003/slip-on_SP/bikephoto1.jpg

Check out the products here. Find the hornet and SP series.
http://www.akrapovic-ai.si/main/catalog/products-catalog.htm

skelstar
18th November 2005, 12:54
Devils atricle is either on the www.919.org site (under 'mods' I think) or the hornets nest site (www.hondahornet.co.uk I think).

You should still do the CBR900RR single can mod I reckon. Itd be cheaper probably (one can not two)...

Devil
18th November 2005, 12:56
Devils atricle is either on the www.919.org site (under 'mods' I think) or the hornets nest site (www.hondahornet.co.uk I think).

You should still do the CBR900RR single can mod I reckon. Itd be cheaper probably (one can not two)...
But the twin cans is pure sex :not: Symmetry is good!
I think I worked out the akra cans to be around NZ$1400. Gorgeous things. Sound the biz.

Zapf
18th November 2005, 16:35
I just like the look of the factory heat shield thats all.

timorang
17th February 2006, 09:22
My Hornet 900 has a set (pair) of under seat cans made by custom chambers, East Tamaki, Auckland. They look and sound great and raise the performance bar a little. Finish is good. The bike required no adjustment and runs better with them. No heat shield and they only get 'warm' to touch. Recommended.

Zapf
17th February 2006, 09:44
My Hornet 900 has a set (pair) of under seat cans made by custom chambers, East Tamaki, Auckland. They look and sound great and raise the performance bar a little. Finish is good. The bike required no adjustment and runs better with them. No heat shield and they only get 'warm' to touch. Recommended.

how long ago you got yours done?

skelstar
17th February 2006, 11:43
And cost timorang. Same place as yours Zapf?

Groins_NZ
17th February 2006, 11:51
OMG! where are the pics?

Please

Zapf
19th February 2006, 07:08
And cost timorang. Same place as yours Zapf?

yep. same place.... and my pipes are now burrbling and back fireing some times too :)

timorang
20th February 2006, 11:21
In response to the two questions about my Custom Chambers cans. They have been on for about 6 months and are chrome finish. The cost was about $1k. They burble plus the occassions crackle on over-run. It is best to leave your bike with him for a few days and when you collect it they are fitted and set to go. Did wonder about going for 'more noise' and he quoted $120 to open them up further. But with time it is about right. Wife can hear me from a few blocks away now. Also have a K&N filter fitted. All good.