PDA

View Full Version : Scariest moment on a bike?

Solarwind
25th February 2004, 09:57
What's the most frightening situation you've ever been in while riding? For me, it was when I was barrelling south down Gordonton Rd at 120kph heading into Hamilton one morning, and there's a car in a turning bay in the middle of the road waiting to turn right onto a side road (no problem there), only there's another car turning right onto Gordonton Rd from the side road that pulls out right infront of me :shit: I couldn't pass the car on the right, and had no clear view of the road up ahead anyway. I slammed on the brakes, but it was clear there was no way I could stop in time, so without thinking I shot around the side of the car on the left, in the cycle lane, with only centimetres of room to spare :crazy: My brother smashed up his Ford Falcon on that same stretch of road, once, and afterwards I realised that if I had been driving a car, I would have crashed for sure. That was one situation where a bike was actually safer than a car, due to its smaller size. I sped the rest of the way and didn't look back... I only hoped the dumbassed driver of that car shat their pants when they realised they'd almost killed someone.

Dave
25th February 2004, 10:06
My scariest was up by dargaville on my GSXR750, doing 230k/hr a 4x4 up in front pulls left off the road, as i go out to go around he turns into a driveway on the right of the road!
I grabbed brakes and some rear untill the back started coming around, then let off everything and missed him by inches.
The worst thing about it is even after that i still don't think the fukin prick ever saw me, probably still doesn't know what he (nearly) did.

riffer
25th February 2004, 10:10
Well, coming up to the Martinborough turn-off on Sunday at 200+ and pulling back the brake lever to the bars and having brakes work at about 50% has to rate up there!

Apart from that, running from the law on an unregistered IT400 with a throttle cable which was a loop of wire attached to the handlebar has to be the worst

What?
25th February 2004, 10:13
Running over a possum at 140+ on a corner south of Tokoroa. Stayed on the gas and stayed upright, but I think I stayed on the gas because I didn't have time to think about doing anything else.

White trash
25th February 2004, 10:27
About 13km south of Tokoroa, just after you come out of the forrest there's a long uphill stretch with a nice right hander at the top. Out dragged my mate on his Bandit up the straight and as I went passed he grabbed a handfull of brake.

"What are you braking for you poof?" I thinks.

Get into the turn at 220 on my 6 month pld '98 GSXR750 and there's a small crest right on the entrance of the corner. 6th gear with the throttle shut but NO brakes applied and the rear steps out.

Then grips.

Earthskyearthskyearthskyfence. I went through a fence and stopped in a farmers house paddock. The bike went end for end 80-100 meters up the road.

Then, "peoples Hero" Bruns leans over the fence and says "Do you want to keep going to Hamilton or turn back to Welligton?"

What? Where ever I went I was going in an Ambo with heaps of Morphine thanks!

Anyway, thought I was going to fucken' die.

Scary moment,

Pic of one shagged 750.

Coldkiwi
25th February 2004, 11:24
for me, it was running off the track (but stayed upright) going over the John Deere Hill at Pukekohe on my ZXR 250.. and maybe having the back step out going onto the back straight in the rain on the zx-6R

Hitcher
25th February 2004, 11:45
Mine was following Mrs H out to Lower Hutt in the morning rush-hour traffic in the wet. She was taking her old Eliminator to Motorcycle City for a routine service and I was following to take her home once she'd dropped off her bike. She moved across into the Melling turn lane and I turned in about four cars behind and a few seconds later I see her bike on its side going down the white line at about 70kmh in a shower of sparks. I shit myself and rush up to see what's happening. Jane's on her feet by that stage wondering what the hell happened. I check her out and ascertain she is unmarked and unbroken, pick her bike up (it was still rideable) start it up for her, plonk her on and set her on her way. She rides to the bike shop, where she then goes into mild shock.

Whether she aquaplaned or hit an oil patch or what, we'll never know. Another example of the benefits of wearing good gear! Not the sort of heart-in-mouth start to the day that I want to have again.

Jackrat
25th February 2004, 11:56
About 1/16 of a second before I got high sided off my GS850G @140km.
Closly followed by the greatest feeling of relief when I realised I was still alive.
That was a very below average day and changed my whole out look on biking
and my approach to a few other things as well.But just a little bit :rolleyes:

James Deuce
25th February 2004, 12:10
Hmmmm.

As has already been pointed out I seem to have more "moments" than most people.

It's because I'm a scaredy cat and tend to apportion fear in equal lumps.

Every time my existence is threatened is a potential "Most Scarey Moment".

The one that sticks in my mind is weird because there was no accident or pain, but I think the utter loss of control was the worst feeling. I was riding to work in Wellington from the Wairarapa on a Monday morning, and it was a bit windy. I got to the top of the Rimutakas heading south, turned into the left hand corner at the top at a fair velocity, and got blown right across the road into the carpark and fetched up 2 inches from the fence. The wind had created a Ground Effect between the fairing and the road surface when I pitched it in and just floated me over the road.

I don't know how I managed to slow down, but it may have been the tyres scrubbing sideways .

Wenier
25th February 2004, 12:20
for me it was on the coast to coast and jus b4 the end of the ride there is this shit corner thats jus over a rise. of course i came over it with a little more speed than the corner would take and had to go straight and use this grass run off area. Lucky for me i jus skidded to a stop no harm done. :)

Lou Girardin
25th February 2004, 14:24
Going too quick into a decreasing radius lefthander on the Mangawhai Rd. The front end ran wide into the other lane just as a truck was coming. Missed him by a metre. Luckily, he was more awake than I was.
Lou

750Y
25th February 2004, 14:39
having the front lift up off a bump at SPEED along the miranda straights and the cross wind grabbing me and pushing the whole show sideways, causing me to come down crossed up, the resultant err 'wobble' had me nearly fill my pants twice over.

Solarwind
25th February 2004, 14:42
Seems that most scary moments involve blind cage drivers at intersections or taking corners too fast. Some of my lesser scary moments...

* overfilling my oil tank and leaving a big cloud of smoke behind me, and stopping on the side of the road wondering if it was going to burst into flames there and then :doh:

* blowing a radiator hose and leaving a big cloud of steam behind me on the open road :sweatdrop

* riding out to Kinloch from Taupo doing 115kph and glancing in my rear view mirror to see a cop right on my tail, who had come out of nowhere, and inching along at 90kph hoping he would leave me alone (he did) :Oops:

wkid_one
25th February 2004, 16:21
About 1/16 of a second before I got high sided off my GS850G @140km.
Closly followed by the greatest feeling of relief when I realised I was still alive.
That was a very below average day and changed my whole out look on biking
and my approach to a few other things as well.But just a little bit :rolleyes: Remarkably - mine is exactly the same instance.....

Scariest non-crash moment was on the left hand crester 45kph corner heading north just after the exit to the Kaitoke Go Kart Track. I love that corner for getting my knee down and scraping the peg.

Got ballsy one day and came in to the corner well to hot....knee down around the corner.....realising I wasn't going to be able to stay in my lane (funny thing about full lean - you can only turn at such a radius??) - with a van approaching the other way - fuck knows how I missed collecting the rear of the van but I did.

Lesson - when knee is done - you better get your speed right as you line around the corner can only get wider.

trevf
25th February 2004, 16:55
on the road between Ngaruawahia and Otorohanga in the wet hitting a shiney patch at 130ish. Rode trough the tank slapper-just.

yessum
25th February 2004, 16:58
Scariest moment so far would be the death-twitch given by my bike as I ran over a patch of gravel mid-corner. Wasn't even going that fast officer!
:crazy:

Motu
25th February 2004, 17:01
Well,I've had a few,bit of a slow learner.

Early one sunday morning out for a blast on my Triton - for you young fullas a Triton is half Norton and half Triumph,this one a typical cafe racer...the grand daddy of sports bikes,mine built by the son of a famous NZer,but not known in motorcycle circles,the father that is, coming along Church st and turning left into the Grt Sth rd,2nd gear on the pegs and coming out right on the curb on the opposite side of the road.This was a pretty new road at the time,4 lanes of smooth tarmac swooping down then up the hill into the long right hand sweeper into the left and a big stop for the lights at Penrose rd....but I don't think I was interested in the lights,further on was the S over the railway bridge by the glass works.

So,I ring out 2nd,good for 80mph,hook 3rd and settle in for the run up to the sweeper,only 2 vehicles on the road up ahead,a truck and behind that a car going my way both in the outside lane.Now,do I just swoop over and take them on the left or stay on the other side of the road? No other cars on the road,but if I go left that bloody car may decide to take the truck on the left too - no,I'll stay out on the other side.

As I approach the truck starts to turn right into Sims rd!!!!! Holy fucking shit!!!!! this is bad,very bad,no way am I going to go around the front of the truck,the rear won't clear in time,can't lay it down and go under as the tandem wheels will be in my path,can't turn left as there is a car there....I'm dead,I've run out of luck,I suppose it won't hurt,but it's gunna be messy to clean up.

I'm on the brakes,hard,very hard - but it's only an 8inch single leading shoe,the rear a cut down lever for the rear sets - even a modern bike could of been in trouble here,but actualy the poor brakes were a help in what I did next....the car driver must of seen what was going on,for now the impossible gap was a littlle bigger - 3 meters is being generous - I pitched the bike left,still hard on the brakes,missing both car and truck by inches - out the otherside,off the brakes and on the rebound slam it on the right peg and snap on the throttle,kiss the left hand curb and I'm gone up the hill!

closest for me,phew,...did it slow me down? you bet! for 2 days.

Deano
25th February 2004, 17:06
Remarkably - mine is exactly the same instance.....

Scariest non-crash moment was on the left hand crester 45kph corner heading north just after the exit to the Kaitoke Go Kart Track. I love that corner for getting my knee down and scraping the peg.

Got ballsy one day and came in to the corner well to hot....knee down around the corner.....realising I wasn't going to be able to stay in my lane (funny thing about full lean - you can only turn at such a radius??) - with a van approaching the other way - fuck knows how I missed collecting the rear of the van but I did.

Lesson - when knee is done - you better get your speed right as you line around the corner can only get wider.

Wkid, thats a great lesson, although the Doctor would probably give it a handful, spin the rear around to tighten his line, pop the front up and wave to the van as he flew past.........praise allah.

I have had my share of near (and not so near) misses:

Writing off 250 two stoke into car - couldn't lean any further, hit brakes, car turned right into gas station as I tried to lane split at about 80 Km/h (if there was something coming the other way it would have worked goddamit!!)....BANG. Damn that nitrous is great stuff :D

Went off the road going to Castlepoint 3 weeks after buying a new bike - not used to the extra power I guess and got ahead of cycosis for once - adrenalin and all that took over - whoops. Not too bad though - after I bounced down the road I jumped up straight away and ran back to the bike cursing...more worried about the bike than anything.

Most recently, hit gravel at top of Haywards while overtaking a hog (and again in front of cycosis - there is something going on here ??), back end squirrelled each way but straightened up, doing about 130K/mh. Thankfully I didn't see the gravel before I hit it - don't you find not seeing the hazard makes things much easier...no panic or stiffeninig of arms on the bars ??

Big Dog
25th February 2004, 17:09
The worst one not already detailed on this site would have to be the day my dad thought he would buy me a motorcycle jacket (to repalce the hunting jacket I was wearing).

Not knowing anything about bikes but wanting his second youngest son to be warm dry and safe on his new bike (that snr does not understand, but tries anyway), my father set out in search of a warm dry showerproof jacket. Kinda thoughtful I thought when I opened it for my birthday. Proper trails jacket proclaims the swing tag, $109 to boot. Looks a bit too much like a parachute for my liking but I thought to myself it's the thought that counts, I'll at least try it.

A bit flappy but no problem up to 100kmph. Until I try to pass my first cattle truck going in the opposite direction down the Motunui straight outside Waitara.

Well f%$^ me! It fills like a sail, I am lifted in the air cluching on to the now over revving XS250 with all the strength in my arms and thighs concentrated on not getting sucked off the back.

Well f#$% me I never considered it might take the bike as well. We were carried back about two meters and slammed somewhat uncerremoniosly on the road, somehow upright but in slapper with the ute behind me in a fourwheel lock up.

Luckily for me in my blind 19 yo L plate ignorance my throttle snaps full open on an already unsettled beast, which now decides it is a good time to do the wheelie that had eluded me all weekend. I say thankfully because at least that resolved the slapper.

Well once every thing was back under conrol I took that jacket off and rode home in just a tee shirt. Rather than hurt Dad's feeling's I told him it was warmer to wear it under another jacket. I still have it, but never again was it worn on top of my clothes on the back of the bike. Now that I know better about safety gear I know it would have been no better in an off than nothing and probably worse. I don't think Dad ever new the truth, I think he just thought I was being a snob about the style.

Now that I know better I would go back and vent at the bike shop that sold that as a bike jacket.

Big Dog
25th February 2004, 17:17
Scariest moment so far would be the death-twitch given by my bike as I ran over a patch of gravel mid-corner. Wasn't even going that fast officer!
:crazy:
You think gravel is fun? just wait till you meet mr manholecoverontheapexofacornerinthewet. :eek5: :Oops:

wkid_one
25th February 2004, 17:24
You think gravel is fun? just wait till you meet mr manholecoverontheapexofacornerinthewet. :eek5: :Oops:
Or Mr checkerplateonyourlineonaroundaboutinthewet

Wonko
25th February 2004, 18:57
First weekend with my first bike, riding around Parnell and town, heading down the hill from Parnell in the wet. Applied front brake, locks up on arrow in the middle of the road, shit slam on the back brake, just as it also goes over the white arrow. Both locked up with the back stepping out, and heading fast towards the back of a ute at the lights. Saved by releaseing everything and then slaming them on again, this time not locking up.

Stopped round the courner and had a coke at the Shell and thought about taking the bus home. Thought that my flatmate would think I'm a wuss, so hopped back on her and road home slowly.

Deano
25th February 2004, 19:30
First weekend with my first bike, riding around Parnell and town, heading down the hill from Parnell in the wet. Applied front brake, locks up on arrow in the middle of the road, shit slam on the back brake, just as it also goes over the white arrow. Both locked up with the back stepping out, and heading fast towards the back of a ute at the lights. Saved by releaseing everything and then slaming them on again, this time not locking up.

Stopped round the courner and had a coke at the Shell and thought about taking the bus home. Thought that my flatmate would think I'm a wuss, so hopped back on her and road home slowly.

Was that a bottle or a line ?

Gota get straight back on allright !! :rockon:

moko
25th February 2004, 19:34
Heading for home on my 6 month-old GS850 way back in 79,small sidestreet with a learner driver in a Mini waiting to join the road I was on.I saw him and slowed down but he`d seen me so no big deal,apparently he was holding it on the clutch,god knows what he was thinking but he shot out straight in front of me while still looking at me.I hit the front wing and got thrown over the front of the car into the corner of someones house.Helmet was trashed,I hit the house head first at great speed,but probably saved my life,and i was slumped in this guy`s doorway with my arm all twisted like it was never meant to be twisted.I was out cold but apparently the driver`s girlfriend owned the car and she got out ranting about "look what you`ve done to my car",as if i could hear her.Anyway home owner was a biker, a frigging enormous biker at that and when he opened the door to see what the kin hell was happening he let rip and she was in tears by the time the Police arrived.The Gs had been picked up by the time i came to and at least I had the satisfaction of seeing a wrecked Mini wing laying in the road,got torn clean off.Cop actually rode the bike to the police station for me while I went to hospital,bloody solid them things were.Turned out I had a broken arm,couple of stitches in my face too but could have been a lot worse.

wkid_one
25th February 2004, 19:42
Thought that my flatmate would think I'm a wuss, so hopped back on her and road home slowly. You hopped on your flatmate and rode her home??? You sick man - this is about bikes

Kickaha
25th February 2004, 20:26
Being taken out by a van that crossed the centre line and looking back down the road and realising he had managed to get 2 out of the other 3 bikes that were travelling with me.

We got off light,3 totalled bikes(R75/7,R90S,XS750)one broken wrist and fractured kneecap,one concussion,and a lot of bruises.

DEATH_INC.
25th February 2004, 21:29
Hmmmm......which one?Prolly on my mates TL1000s doing 240kph (I passed my mate who was doing 230...)on the straights at hunua.Got into the biggest tankslapper you've ever seen....the whole bike was going from side to side (the back was trying to come around...)My mate who was following on my gixx said he could see daylight under both wheels.....
Or the time I was trying to catch a mate on the old north road on the ZX12,theres a long straight followed by a slight bend over a bit of a rise,only at 280kph the bend is actually a corner and the rise seems more like a hill.280k on the speedo,cranked over,front wheel in the air,rear spinning and still not turning fast enough......
Or the first time I landed the 12 from a 200+kph wheely on the m/way with the bars crooked....
I could go on for ages....

cruzer
26th February 2004, 09:16
I worked in Greenlane about 20 years ago and I would make my way down to Gillies Ave after work (10 PM ish) to get on the Motorway heading North. One evening whilst heading onto the Motorway around the sweeping left hander I found myself going over my handlebars and sliding almost on to the motorway with my bike riding me.
Three things contributed to this adventure;
1- I was probably going to fast but hey 20 years ago at 10PM there was not very much traffic around
2- Some Moronic Individual had dropped what seemed like a half cubic metre of scoria on the road and did a very limited job of cleaning it up.
3- The local constabulary had 2 police cars on the blind part of the corner half blocking the road trying to break up a fight or something and forcing me to a ride through the thickest part of the scoria.
I thought at the time "I'm lucky my brother is following me in his car as if it where someone else, I may have been used as a speed bump"Everybody seemed amused, except me. The cop's comment was "That was pretty good, you went over your handlebars"
Looking back, it probably was an amusing sight but at the time I only remember closing my eyes and thinking "This is going to hurt"

cruzer
26th February 2004, 10:40
I tell my brother's story (he is no longer a rider)
In 1980 my family immigrated to NZ. Around a month after we arrived, my brother and I each bought a motorcycle. I bought a Suzuki GT185 and my brother a Suzuki 125 enduro.
It was Saturday Morning and we were schedueled to go for our License Testing on Monday.
My brother was 16 years old and I was 15 and my parents had gone for a walk to the dairy We, being michevious youths seized the opportunity to get on our bikes and proceed to ride up and down our driveway, which was in the region of 25m in length.
As we where only riding back and forth in the driveway and mindfull of the timing issue involved in removing a helmet in case the parents came home and told us off we set off down the 25m bare headed.
It was all going very well and we were enjoying becoming freinds with our new macines when I was travelling back towards the house and my brother was going in the other direction I could no longer hear his engine.
My first thought (him being a cross between Evil Kenevil and the Devil) was that he has gone onto the road and stalled his machine. I proceeded to turn around to investigate his where-abouts. I got to the end of the driveway which had a drop on one side of about one and a half meters and for an unknown reason I looked down to the side of the driveway where it fell away.
There I saw my brother sort of sitting with his head hanging back and his machine wedged, almost as though it were parked between two trees.
I called his name and he pulled his head up and it dropped forward in front of him. Needless to say, there was an enormous amount of blood and I admit to being somewhat staggered by the manner in which he was presenting himself to me. It was at about that time that I noticed a neighbor running down his driveway from across the road and pushing me aside to render assistance to my Bleeding Brother. The ambulance was called and he was taken to the hospital where he spent around 6 weeks in Intensive Care comatose before making a rather remarkable recovery.
It turns out, from his fragmented memory of the events that unfolded that fateful day, that a cat crossed his path as he neared the end of the driveway and he, being a novice rider, applied far to much Front Brake, firing him like a catapult, over the handlebars, head first, into a Brick Structure that curved around the end of the driveway that formed a wall/letterbox.
It seems that he hit the edge of that structure with his forehead causing the dammage in the photos (courtesy of Auckland Hospital)
I remember the doctor asking me to have a look around the accident sight the next day to see if I could find a number of teeth that no longer resided in his mouth as they could put them back provided it was done quickly.
His list of injuries included:
Jaw broken in 6 places
Cheeks broken
Nose Broken
Eye sockits broken
Skull Fracture and Brain Exposed
Optic nerve damage
Pituitary Gland Damage
Luckily, this occured when his body was still young enough to repair itself quickly and he continues to enjoy life woith his wife and two children today.
I know that this Thread is about the scariest moment on a bike and although I didn't acually see the event (only the aftermath) I can assure you that it was a scary moment for me and all who where involved.
By the way, I never found any of the teeth but I did find the cigarette he was smoking at the time sticking into the brickwork.

merv
26th February 2004, 11:05
Dude I didn't need these pics at lunch time.

cruzer
26th February 2004, 11:09
Dude I didn't need these pics at lunch time.
Thats why I said "Images are of a graphic nature" and R rated them.
Sorry :o

riffer
26th February 2004, 11:13
Your brother is a lucky lucky lucky man to survive that.

scary :no:

Motoracer
26th February 2004, 11:24
This reminds me of the importance of a proper full face helmet. Thats shitting my pants scarry alright. :sick:

Blink
26th February 2004, 12:35
well my scariest moment :

riding down the Napier to Taupo road. The weather was absolute crap, wet drizzly day with heaps of mist on the road. Riding along at 90-100k with lights on, and then i come up beind a logging truck throwing heaps of crap out the back (as they do). So wait for a straight and then indicate and pull out to pass. I got to about the middle of his trailer when all of a sudden i glance across and see his trailer swerving towards me!

I was like "WTF!"... and swerve to keep away from the tonnes of pinetree coming at me. What had happened, is that the truck (that i was passing) decided to pass another truck and did not see me in his mirrors. So here's me crapping myself and decide to power out and pass him before he flattens me. I go across the solid white line on the other side of the road and manage to get in front of the truck.

Then all of a sudden a car going the other way looms out of the rain!! This was a gray car that didnt have its headlights going, thus noone (me, nor either truck driver) could see it. So we all swerve back into our lane and manage to straighten up, with me in front of both logging trucks.

Heart was well and truely pumping after that.

Grumpy
27th February 2004, 09:45
Scariest moment...had a few of the usual kind, you know, life flashes before your eyes kinda things, but my scariest would be when I was a young fella. My old man had just bought a near new Suzuki GS1000G and he left the keys in it. Me being the curious type wheeled it out of the garage, warmed it up a little and then lit the back wheel up in the back yard. With all the noise and smoke and shit I didn't hear him come home. When he saw what I was doing to his new bike.....well lets just say, still rates as my scariest moment on a bike! :Oops:

phil_elvey
27th February 2004, 11:06
After reading cruzer's bros story, I might pop out and get that new helmet iv been after. My scariest moment happened recently. I was out test riding an FZR400 out the back of Hastings on a road that I didn't know. I was on my way back and getting pretty confident on the little yami. I hooked into a square left-hander and bugger me the front let go. It gripped up again just in time to save my arse. It was only a relatively small scare, and wouldn't have worried me THAT much if it was on my bike. But the thought of possibly having to buy I bike that I didn't end up wanting sure gave me a fright!

boris
27th February 2004, 13:58
finding how much a full service at Wgtn m/cycles cost.or being over taken in roadworks by a car both put the shits up me.

Holy Roller
27th February 2004, 14:39
For me it had to be going up Hell's Gate hill heading for Whakatane full noise went to button off at the top right hander... throttle jammed open... only just hung in there. Hit the kill switch and lay down in grass untill my heart slowed down enough to unjam the cable and carry on. Very close to this was my head on just north of Matamata Front wheel skiped out on some gravel (roadworks) pitching me into the path of an oncoming car.... I remember being upside down, my boot left a mark along the roof line of the car. I walked away from that one also... really sore ribs but OK. Poor bike was bent though. Fixed it up, new warrant, back on the streets again.

Deano
28th February 2004, 17:29
I tell my brother's story (he is no longer a rider)
In 1980 my family immigrated to NZ. Around a month after we arrived, my brother and I each bought a motorcycle. I bought a Suzuki GT185 and my brother a Suzuki 125 enduro.
It was Saturday Morning and we were schedueled to go for our License Testing on Monday.
My brother was 16 years old and I was 15 and my parents had gone for a walk to the dairy We, being michevious youths seized the opportunity to get on our bikes and proceed to ride up and down our driveway, which was in the region of 25m in length.
As we where only riding back and forth in the driveway and mindfull of the timing issue involved in removing a helmet in case the parents came home and told us off we set off down the 25m bare headed.
It was all going very well and we were enjoying becoming freinds with our new macines when I was travelling back towards the house and my brother was going in the other direction I could no longer hear his engine.
My first thought (him being a cross between Evil Kenevil and the Devil) was that he has gone onto the road and stalled his machine. I proceeded to turn around to investigate his where-abouts. I got to the end of the driveway which had a drop on one side of about one and a half meters and for an unknown reason I looked down to the side of the driveway where it fell away.
There I saw my brother sort of sitting with his head hanging back and his machine wedged, almost as though it were parked between two trees.
I called his name and he pulled his head up and it dropped forward in front of him. Needless to say, there was an enormous amount of blood and I admit to being somewhat staggered by the manner in which he was presenting himself to me. It was at about that time that I noticed a neighbor running down his driveway from across the road and pushing me aside to render assistance to my Bleeding Brother. The ambulance was called and he was taken to the hospital where he spent around 6 weeks in Intensive Care comatose before making a rather remarkable recovery.
It turns out, from his fragmented memory of the events that unfolded that fateful day, that a cat crossed his path as he neared the end of the driveway and he, being a novice rider, applied far to much Front Brake, firing him like a catapult, over the handlebars, head first, into a Brick Structure that curved around the end of the driveway that formed a wall/letterbox.
It seems that he hit the edge of that structure with his forehead causing the dammage in the photos (courtesy of Auckland Hospital)
I remember the doctor asking me to have a look around the accident sight the next day to see if I could find a number of teeth that no longer resided in his mouth as they could put them back provided it was done quickly.
His list of injuries included:
Jaw broken in 6 places
Cheeks broken
Nose Broken
Eye sockits broken
Skull Fracture and Brain Exposed
Optic nerve damage
Pituitary Gland Damage
Luckily, this occured when his body was still young enough to repair itself quickly and he continues to enjoy life woith his wife and two children today.
I know that this Thread is about the scariest moment on a bike and although I didn't acually see the event (only the aftermath) I can assure you that it was a scary moment for me and all who where involved.
By the way, I never found any of the teeth but I did find the cigarette he was smoking at the time sticking into the brickwork.

Was the cat ok ? - Sorry, my girlfriend asked...

speedpro
28th February 2004, 20:23
Sliding down the road watching XS1100 tumbling thru sky towards me. It smashed down on my right then flipped over to my left and slid into ditch with me following.
Lost or broke front engine mount bolt on GSX1100 while pitching it in at Pukekohe. It tamk slapped so hard the front was hopping off the ground and I ended up sitting on the tank heading for the grass way fast.
Getting past Ross Drinkwater on the bucket heading for a huge fast sweeper at Ohakea and not daring to back off 'cause Ross would try and get back and finding myself with both ends sliding (Yokohama ultra soft slicks) while pitched in big time. Scary bit was knowing that Ross was (just)behind me somewhere.
Sliding the rear tyre peeling into the kink down the back straight at Puke the first time. Pretty sure there's still brown marks on the track.

Actually the more I think about this sort of thing the more I wonder why I do it, and then I remember all those times where it's all worked perfectly.

trevf
29th February 2004, 19:03
Yeah those bucket meetings at Ohakea were good fun. Shame they dont still have them.

Suzi Q
29th February 2004, 20:41
Scariest moment for me was on the way to Queenstown 2003 for the Glenorchy Rally. We were travelling the Pig Route - from Palmerston via Naseby. The boys let me lead!!!! Now I know why, a Lamb ran out in front of me, I have no idea where it came from and did not have time to react, I could have kicked him with my Harley Davidson Boots!!! My heart was pounding and the boys behind were shocked as well. Needless to say a little further on I made them pass me so i could be at the back! :disapint:

Jackrat
29th February 2004, 22:11
Oh yeah an the time I'm chasing my brother along a metal road in NSW somewhere,It's just on dusk and I'm thinking about the chance of a Kangaroo
being on the road.Bro's out front about 100meters an I'm pushing hard to stay with him,An then a big red Roo bounces between the two of us,I missed him by about this :spudwhat: much.Still think about that some times,like what if the gap had been fifty meters.We were doing about 130kms and were about 100 hundred kms from any town or help.Needless to say we didn't get where we where going that night cause Jack the chicken shit spat the dummy.Hey even on a full dress Harley that roo would'a won.

georgedubyabush
1st March 2004, 08:20
Oh yeah an the time I'm chasing my brother along a metal road in NSW somewhere,It's just on dusk and I'm thinking about the chance of a Kangaroo
being on the road.Bro's out front about 100meters an I'm pushing hard to stay with him,An then a big red Roo bounces between the two of us,I missed him by about this :spudwhat: much.Still think about that some times,like what if the gap had been fifty meters.We were doing about 130kms and were about 100 hundred kms from any town or help.Needless to say we didn't get where we where going that night cause Jack the chicken shit spat the dummy.Hey even on a full dress Harley that roo would'a won.

Yeah those Roos are nasty.
A guy I know in Oz was driving his boss's car late at night with boss asleep in the passenger seat, and 2 others asleep in the back. He hit one at about 130 which came through the windscreen and landed as a bloody, legless, writhing, fighting mass in the back seat. Imagine waking up with that on you.

Wenier
1st March 2004, 19:49
man those are some pretty bad stories u guys freak me out :)

Pickle
2nd March 2004, 19:34
Now this could be showing my age but in the early 80's whilst based at Wigram Air Force base I had bought brand new an XJ550 for the purpose of racing. One week after buying it I was racing it around the Lady wigram circuit and on a very fast top gear corner (red line in top) I had a small off track excursion on to the grass lucky for me there is miles of grass but at 180ks evrything happens very fast, I held on to that one.
Next time out same corner, red line in top, pegs scrapping hard, in front of 4 other bikes and I collide with someone sending me down. Now the crash was pretty fast but 2 other bikes went down at the same time and me sliding round bikes & riders going in all directions. Still rode the bike back to the pit area bit bent, but that was it for the day. Had one beer in the club that nite and had a sleep right there in the club.
I should have learnt from the first time out but being young and bullet proof I knew better. Speed Pro was there & I think he still laughs about it. :bash:

speedpro
2nd March 2004, 20:23
Oh yes absolutely, still laughing :lol: The attempted warranty claim for leaking crankcases the next week was a hoot as well. Bit of justice there for giving me the shits fanging round the hills earlier.

That isn't the only time Dougs fallen on his head and had a little sleep the moment we got home, Meremere springs to mind, bit of a problem at the end of a big 2nd gear burnout on the 900 :doh:

pete376403
5th March 2004, 20:16
have done a bunch of silly things over the years but the one that gave me the absolute shits was taking a left hand turn way to fast and running over the centre line, did most of the corner on the wrong side. Got around and straightened up, thankful that there wasn't anything coming the other way. In fact I didn't see another vehicle for at least five minutes. But the rest of the trip home I couldn't stop thinking "what if..."

Second scariest moment was falling asleep (maybe just a few seconds) and waking up on the wrong side :gob:

SPman
5th March 2004, 20:27
Second scariest moment was falling asleep (maybe just a few seconds) and waking up on the wrong side
Scary alright - did that on the Harbour Bridge back in '77 - sort of dozed of heading home at night and came to with a jolt. drifting across the 2nd lane towards the railing :Oops:

Big Dog
8th March 2004, 16:16
Scary alright - did that on the Harbour Bridge back in '77 - sort of dozed of heading home at night and came to with a jolt. drifting across the 2nd lane towards the railing :Oops:
Ditto. By all accounts, I woke up on my bike on its centre stand parked outside my house when it started bucking as it ran out of gas. Last thing I remember was passing the motunui gas plant 12kms through some pretty good twisties hills etc.

Big wake up call (no pun intended). Neighbors reckoned I had been riding along with my head down on the tank/dash. :ride: :sleep: :scooter:

FzerozeroT
9th March 2004, 17:25
Scariest was today, got pulled over near Hillcrest on the expressway for 95 in an 80 zone. Cop had been following me from central hamilton and when going from 50zone to 80zone I like to use powerband :o so he would have seen me ripping thru traffic.

He started it with "I think we need to have a talk" and I started to shake.
I knew the speeding ticket for 95/80 wouldn't be too bad, it was the 'L' licence i have without a learners plate and 70kph learners top speed that had me crapping myself. He looked at my licence, the bike, me, the licence, smiled and said to be more careful in the future.
The look he was giving me was "with great power comes great responsibility" and I guess he must be a biker too.

*relief*

Thankyou officer.

Zed
9th March 2004, 17:48
Scariest was today, got pulled over near Hillcrest on the expressway for 95 in an 80 zone. Cop had been following me from central hamilton and when going from 50zone to 80zone I like to use powerband :o so he would have seen me ripping thru traffic.

He started it with "I think we need to have a talk" and I started to shake.
I knew the speeding ticket for 95/80 wouldn't be too bad, it was the 'L' licence i have without a learners plate and 70kph learners top speed that had me crapping myself. He looked at my licence, the bike, me, the licence, smiled and said to be more careful in the future.
The look he was giving me was "with great power comes great responsibility" and I guess he must be a biker too.

*relief*

Thankyou officer.
Well done, you got one in a good mood FT. :niceone:

A couple of us were blating home from work today on our 600's and took off from the lights in front of the traffic...we soon caught up to a BMW from the previous traffic phase and then we both noticed 2 policemen standing by the side of the road outside of their patrol car pointing in our direction and waving us down- oops! We knew we had been moving it but this was weird- they were actually waving down the beamer and directed us on...phew!

FzerozeroT
9th March 2004, 18:03
Well done, you got one in a good mood FT. :niceone:

he seemed like a genuine nice dude, but I've never had any trouble with cops

"Middle-Class White Male", you can't get any scholarships or grants so it's got to be good for something ;)

Big Dog
10th March 2004, 10:47
he seemed like a genuine nice dude, but I've never had any trouble with cops

"Middle-Class White Male", you can't get any scholarships or grants so it's got to be good for something ;)
Preaching to the choir there brother! Has anyone else ever been told "your the best applicant for the job but we need to fulfil our quota" when asked to explain apparrently when you have over a hundred non maori employees and no maoris maoris who get turned down for jobs (this one had no work experience due to having just gotout of jail) the one that was turned down can lay a claim with the race relations tribunal! The only defense is to show that 4%or more of your workforce belongs to that ethnic background. The really racist part is that it does not work the other way or for any other "ethnic Background" :angry2:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off topic but there you go. :moon:

cruzer
10th March 2004, 11:34
Was the cat ok ? - Sorry, my girlfriend asked...
Well, "OK" is a relative term. He always was a bit screwy. The only noticable differnce (apart from a few scars) is that it seemed to mellow him, I guess he realized that he wasn't indestructable.

matthewt
10th March 2004, 21:11
I was at a gas station in Paeroa with a bunch of others on a 1000k day trip. About six of us there mostly talking on our cell phones (I was talking to my wife). Then HP car rips into the car park, points to my bike and says in a serious tone "Who's bike is that ??". So I quietly tell the wife I'll ring her back and fess up it's mine. "Cool, can I have a sit on it ??" "Sure you can", I'll just remove the bricks I just shat. Turns out he's a Ducati nut and it's the first MVF4 he'd seen in the flesh.

Skyryder
11th March 2004, 19:33
I can remember a few years back on my first bike a ''53 Tiger 100. This was the last of the Triumph sprung hub. One of the charecteristics of the sprung hub was its stability. In the bends it would just lay down and stay. No floating at all. As a result cornering was relitively safe. This particular day was on the summit road and I was approaching a long sweeping lefthander curve. No cars coming the other way so I power up. What I did not know was the cattle stop just before the start of the bend. This I hit at speed and go thrown up off the seat. As a result I was not able to lay the bike over until seconds later. This delay caused me to hit the gravel. Too late for the brakes. It was either lay the bike down or crash into boulders. I was not wearing leathers and in those days helmuts were optional. Not much of a choice but when the chips are down you do not think but react. Well I laid the bike over that far the pegs were scraping the road. I was holding it. Just when I thought I was back on solid ground the back slid out from under me. I can still remember the back sliding away in speedway style and then coming back onto the hard road. To this day I have no idea how I came out of the curve intact but a couple of riders behind later commented that it was one of the best pieces of riding they had seen. If only they knew. I was complety out of control. I have never hit cornes at speed again.

Skyryder

merv
11th March 2004, 20:16
I was at a gas station in Paeroa with a bunch of others on a 1000k day trip. About six of us there mostly talking on our cell phones (I was talking to my wife).

So is it a load of bollox that cell phones are dangerous on gas station forecourts like the warning signs say?

Kaaaaabooooooooom!!!!!!!

Motu
11th March 2004, 21:14
Yeah,other peoples perception of what you are doing is a bit different than yourself at times.This whole rave was just a typical day for Motu the Great.

We were all going to watch a trial out Hunua somewhere,but I had to backtrack home as my mate had left behind his Preperation H,so I got there a bit late.I was riding my Rickman Metise,and as I came in the gate saw my crowd parked under a tree to my left.Now the Rickman is a motocrosser,and I was using it as my street bike,so I tossed it into a big slide...I mean that,like full lock with no steering stops,down real low and my leg out by the front wheel.The only fault the Rickman had was when it got into a huge 1st gear slide like that it wouldn't come out of it - any more throttle to drive out of it and down it would go,back off,and down it would go - so I would just have to delicatly ride it out,not always with success.Todays big problem was to my left was a pond,and my current route was straight into it! I dug my left boot into the ground and just sissored my legs together,pulling my bike back into line - shit,that was close! I rolled up next to my mates - and they said ''wow,that was great,we all thought you were going to go into the water,great riding man!'' yeah,right.

''What's going on here?'' I asked....oh,see that hill? these trials guys have been trying to get up it all day,but they can't do it - d'you reckon you can get up? No worries mate,watch this! I took a big run on,the 500cc Triumph engine screaming in 2nd gear,the knob tossing out a rooster tail of dirt,front wheel in the air - half way up I see what has stopped the trials bikes...a Maori fortification trench across the hill,as deep as it is wide.Oh boy oh boy,it's too late to back out of this one - so I just keep it nailed,into the air and land on the other side of the ditch,a big landing,but I just keep the throttle buried and climb to the top.At the bottom they are saying ''that showed those poofter trials guys a thing or two,but we lost sight of you for awhile there!''

Riding back home on the gravel roads I'm in a big 3rd gear slide in a right hander and find my right hand tangling in my knee! The front tyre went flat mid corner! Pulled the front end down later and found the pinched tube and a broken fork spring - that was some landing alright!

Motu
11th March 2004, 21:32
Skyryder reminds me of another one,but it wasn't scary,not one bit.

So I'm commuting on my Guzzi Stornello,when all of a sudden the traffic in front appears to be stopped - and I've built up a fair bit of speed by this time,I hit the picks and the rear wheel locks up (I hadn't used it for a couple of years and I think the tyres were off) nothing coming the other way,so I head off down the wrong side of the road,full lock in a brake slide - this doesn't bother me at all,being sideways is natural,so I just ride it out.You may know what is coming next - just as I'm slowing down the rear tyre bites and I'm into a highside,I stay with the bike,not usual for me - land on my back,and still holding the bars the bike goes over the top! Not much damage,I'm ok,lost a ball end on my nice levers and smash the alloy dash - 18 yrs later I still haven't fix that.

matthewt
11th March 2004, 21:45
So is it a load of bollox that cell phones are dangerous on gas station forecourts like the warning signs say?

Who knows, probably started in the US where paranoia rules and the gas stations didn't want to risk it. We were standing back from the forecourt but I doubt they'd be to upset about it in Paeroa. Can't say I've ever see my mobile give off a spark yet.

Zed
11th March 2004, 22:35
Who knows, probably started in the US where paranoia rules and the gas stations didn't want to risk it. We were standing back from the forecourt but I doubt they'd be to upset about it in Paeroa. Can't say I've ever see my mobile give off a spark yet.
Cell phones have been known to cause interference with the data communications in the pumps- that's why they outlaw their usage in close proximity...:cool:

Zed

bondagebunny
12th March 2004, 03:55
followed by some mad zealot waving a bible trying to save my perverted sole

Zed
12th March 2004, 09:11
Lol...following you would be a scary moment Bunny!! :doctor:

White trash
12th March 2004, 09:31

If you drop the phone while using it, and the battery detaches from the phone, watch the bastard spark then!

James Deuce
12th March 2004, 09:57
http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,58188,00.html

http://www.pei.org/static/

I was burnt once by static discharge when getting out of my Datsun 180B - incorrectly wired ground loop apparently.

Bloody hurt and it was a visible streak of lightning that would have blown me up in a gas station, if for instance it happened as I applied nozzle to filler.

I think its probably worth thinking about. Any electronic device gives off a field and if you start attracting too many electrons in a gas station - you're in big trouble.

Not total bollocks, but more likely to happen than a mid '30s woman getting married.

Motu
12th March 2004, 11:05
If petrol was invented now to power vehicles it would be a no go - I mean,pouring the bloody stuff as a liquid into your car,by yourself?! Rules and regs,training,specialsed personal - and of course consultants.The stuff would be illeagal!

El Dopa
12th March 2004, 13:10
man those are some pretty bad stories u guys freak me out :)

I second that sentiment. Perhaps I'll get a 150 instead of a 250 until I feel confident enough to take the stabiliser wheels off.....

spudchucka
12th March 2004, 13:56
Scariest moment was in Brisbane around 1986. Riding a Yamy SR500 banger and fanging it to work on the back country roads at about 0500, pitch black, came around a left hander way too fast. Right on the line I'm riding on is a recenty deceased Wombat. I try to straighten up but hit it while still pretty much cranked over. Both wheels off the ground, arse off the seat, cross the centre line and end up tangled up in a wire fence. My arsehole was going 5 cents - 50 cents for the next week but I walked away from it with only cuts and bruises and a somewhat munted bike.

Firefight
12th March 2004, 14:17

I thought some of our Physics boys or electro engineers may have replied to this, they must be studying, :mobile: cell phones are not intrinsically safe, and therefore should not be operated in an petrol enriched enviroment, there have been cases in NZ were people have been burned :doctor: whilst vehicle refueling in close proximity to a cellphone that has been operating. I am not sure of the stance taken by the Oil cartell, opps sorry oil co, maybe BIG DOG can advise ?

Firefight. :wacko:

wildfire1
12th March 2004, 14:49
The one moment that worried me most was when I was travelling down the Auckland Motorway (across the Newmarket Viaduct), I was travelling at about Km 110, and all of a sudden I saw the 'REVERSING LIGHTS' come on from the car in front of me (about 20 meters ahead of me). Luckly nothing bad happened (must have been an electrical fault inthe car's tail lights), but it had me REALLY SCARED for a few seconds. :blank: :thud: :thud: :thud:

Deano
12th March 2004, 14:50
I thought some of our Physics boys or electro engineers may have replied to this, they must be studying, :mobile: cell phones are not intrinsically safe, and therefore should not be operated in an petrol enriched enviroment, there have been cases in NZ were people have been burned :doctor: whilst vehicle refueling in close proximity to a cellphone that has been operating. I am not sure of the stance taken by the Oil cartell, opps sorry oil co, maybe BIG DOG can advise ?

Another method is the static build up that can spark when you touch the car - I think a couple of burnings have occurred in petrol stations that way also.

Firefight
12th March 2004, 14:55
Another method is the static build up that can spark when you touch the car - I think a couple of burnings have occurred in petrol stations that way also.

Yes thats right, and the use of the old style leggings/overpants, that use to cause friction were outlawed from Fuel farm/bulk fuel depos for the same reason.

Indiana_Jones
13th March 2004, 22:08
my scariest moment would have to be when i locked my front wheel when praticeing a quick stop, lol bloody bike landed on me, good thing I was with my old man :niceone:

lol and my mate crashed his bike outside of school last week, I think he said he just lost it in some gravel at a round-a-bout, too bad I had gone home early as I had study last :whistle:

-Indy

Zed
13th March 2004, 22:41
...today on the road b4 SH22 from Glen Murray to Raglan. As I was hooning through these awesome, deserted, unknown roads, I leaned my bike into a 45km corner and hit some dirt or something and the "whole bike" slid about a foot to the left!! Well thankfully I gained traction & straightened up...I have to say that freaked me out!

Continuing my adventure about 30mins later I found myself on a metal road (this happens when you explore unknown rural areas) and at times it felt like I was surfing because the stones were so thick in parts...wasn't the greatest feeling- felt like I had very little control and had to concentrate on staying straight and going slow around EVERY corner!

Just goes to show that scary moments on bikes are a never ending saga. :doh:

Zed

pete376403
13th March 2004, 23:03
you're probably better going a bit faster on gravel. 80 k feels about right on my GS, but, being an older bike its got far narrower tyres (130/90 on the back) than most bikes now, so it (in theory) cuts through the loose stuff to the hard base whereas the wide tyres sort of float on top of the rollies. Also helps to have a loose grip on the bars and let it find its own way.

Zed
13th March 2004, 23:09
you're probably better going a bit faster on gravel. 80 k feels about right on my GS, but, being an older bike its got far narrower tyres (130/90 on the back) than most bikes now, so it (in theory) cuts through the loose stuff to the hard base whereas the wide tyres sort of float on top of the rollies. Also helps to have a loose grip on the bars and let it find its own way.
..good call pete, but this road was twisty and narrow, and I passed about 3 cars going the opposite way which didn't give me much room- twas a scary moment. If it is at all possible I try to avoid gravel roads on the bike!

Zed

Milky
14th March 2004, 16:33

I must say that gravel can be a hell of a lot of fun on the right bike - and super sports aint the right bikes for it. On all the bikes that i have owned i have enjoyed gravel just as much as road riding... there is a different riding style you adopt and some bikes will follow it, whereas others just feel totally lost. The only thing i watch out for is the downhill left handers... they tend to dip dramatically as the corner tightens which can be a little unnerving

As you say there are two distinct ways of riding on gravel, and there isnt much of an inbetween point where it feels safe - either reasonably quick or very very slow.

~milky

MikeL
14th March 2004, 17:15

Wow! And a foot fetishist to boot!

georgedubyabush
14th March 2004, 20:19
last weekend I got pretty lost out ruatangata, pipiwai area. Funny how all those gravel forestry roads all look the same. A fair bit of doubling back when I hit dead ends, and was a little worried as I'd done 150kms on that tank of gas already. Ended up 5 kms south of Kaikohe and on reserve when I got out. Whangarei to Kaikohe on gravel. I found all the old abandoned and derilict farms quite interesting.

DEATH_INC.
15th March 2004, 19:59
sportbikes work fine on the gravel,if they got a bit of weight.....I've been 200+ two up on the ZX12 and done the same on my old FZR1000(one up) and the Turbo(and it's bloody great fun going from one corner to the next sideways :devil2: .....But the Gixx doesn't like it,too light and just slides on top :crazy:

Zed
15th March 2004, 21:31
sportbikes work fine on the gravel,if they got a bit of weight.....I've been 200+ two up on the ZX12 and done the same on my old FZR1000(one up) and the Turbo(and it's bloody great fun going from one corner to the next sideways :devil2: .....But the Gixx doesn't like it,too light and just slides on top :crazy:
Are your bikes in good nic or what?

I try to keep off the gravel not only because it's unpredictable to control a roadbike on, but because it chips the paintwork!...& one day I will want to onsell for a good price.

Zed

FzerozeroT
16th March 2004, 09:13
Hear hear Zed, I'm the guy at roadworks who gets off and carries his bike across the new seal!

riffer
16th March 2004, 11:06
Hear hear Zed, I'm the guy at roadworks who gets off and carries his bike across the new seal!
Discovered at 5.15 last night while lane splitting home at 70km/h that they had just ripped up a section of Lower Hutt motorway leaving those ugly score lines and gravel :shit:

I've also just just rebuilt my steering head bearings with the help of Pete round the corner and I reckon I tightened it a little more than I should have - feels like I've got a steering damper on - a VERY interesting moment particularly with the bike steering quite slow.

Anyway, adjusted the T-stem nut last night and its back to its twitchy self again - yippee!

Solarwind
16th March 2004, 13:00

You're lucky you've got a 150, those of us with "real" bikes can't lift 'em :no:

georgedubyabush
16th March 2004, 14:30
Are your bikes in good nic or what?

I try to keep off the gravel not only because it's unpredictable to control a roadbike on, but because it chips the paintwork!...& one day I will want to onsell for a good price.

Zed

But the more you ride on gravel, the more predictable it becomes. Mines in pretty good nick. I ride gravel every day.

Two Smoker
16th March 2004, 15:45
You're lucky you've got a 150, those of us with "real" bikes can't lift 'em :no:
Real bikes lol???????? My 150 can leave all but 3 models of harley's in my 2 stroke smoke hehehe, and people think those a real bikes??????? But yes compareing your bike and many others on ths website, 150's are a bit small....

Solarwind
16th March 2004, 15:50
Real bikes lol???????? My 150 can leave all but 3 models of harley's in my 2 stroke smoke hehehe, and people think those a real bikes??????? But yes compareing your bike and many others on ths website, 150's are a bit small....

Hence the scare quotes :beer:

FzerozeroT
17th March 2004, 07:34
OK, so i don't carry it. But I am always the slowest, and give the roadworkers evil looks (through my miror visor).

Big Dog
23rd March 2004, 18:34
I am not sure of the stance taken by the Oil cartell, opps sorry oil co, maybe BIG DOG can advise ?

:lol:
Officially it aint the 0.5amp running your phone its static electricity that builds up from such close activity to a transmitter and speakers. This can discharge using you as and earth when you touch buttons or when it suddenly gets a better earth ie when you touch something that unlike you is not wearing rubber soled boots. In the event thet this is too close to the purge of gas comming back up your the pipe as your tank fills :finger:

Try using your phone while on a rubber mat then almost touch something that has a good earth.

there was a case in the islands where a Samoan man was filling his van while talking to his wife (in the shop by mobile, deserved it then eh). apparrently the side window being slightly open just above the tank had drawn enough gas that the poor bastard had to watch two of his children burn to death and a third be severely injured.

Do you sit on your bike when you refuel?

Ever thought what would happen if it overflowed?
Would you wear it?
Would it ignite when it contacted the hotter parts of the engine?

Will it happen? who knows.
Could it happen? Yes.
Do you want to find out?

Big Dog
23rd March 2004, 18:44
If you really want to use your cell phone on a fore court buy a sheilded type like they use around explosives. My advice stay 10m upwind from the vapour source.

as to why is petroleum still the main fuel source.
The liquid is perfectly stable its the vapour you have to worry about. The other alternatives either offer less performance or more risk.

Try this experiment.
Drop a match ito a full bean can of petrol (small and out doors).
Nothing should happen if you were well ventilated.
Now try it again with only a quarter of a bean can of fuel.

You should get a flame of height determined by the ambient temperature.

Posh Tourer :P
23rd March 2004, 20:36
The right bike helps a lot Georgedubya.... As two smoker will attest, the beemer, with its 19in wheels front and rear and high profile tyres leave him and his dad in the dust.... and I will admit that twosmoker is a faster rider round corners than I am, and that I'm certainly not confident on gravel....

Posh Tourer :P
23rd March 2004, 20:48
And on the subject of my scariest moment.... The two offs I've had dont factor in... they were both at about 50kph, happened too fast to be scary and didnt involve anyone else.... Prob the worst was a couple of weeks ago, riding to Uni behind milky. Driver saw milky but not me.... (note to all riders riding second in a staggered position.....) so pulled out to cross the road... I didnt brake, I had about 10m in a straight line max from when I realised he wasnt stopping.... gassed it (4th gear at 60 didnt accelerate much) and swerved out into the other lane with this car still coming across the road. I estimate my mufflers at the rear missed by less than 50cm, even with me across the median and in the wrong lane... luckily there were no cars in that lane (hence this idiot's decision to try get across). Still dont know if he saw me, I didnt see or hear him brake or anything as I went across the front. The bike is relatively large and noisy, so I hope he's shitting himself....

celticyankee
24th March 2004, 06:33
Most scariest moment? Back in the states, I was stopped in traffic in a 2 lane bridge which was hundreds of feet above a rushing river. I heard the god awful sound of skidding behind me. I check in my mirror and see a HUGE tanker truck coming on me fast, I had no where to go.....seconds later I'm bouncing off the car in front of me, then bounced off the front of the tanker and suddenly I'm on the ground watching a tire miss my head by inches......crawled out from under the truck once it stopped.....all very surreal......the driver never asked if I was ok, he actually mumbled something about HIM having a bad day!

I lost the plot and went after the driver who proceeded to lock himself in his truck till the cops arrived.......I collapsed shortly after that, amazing what adreniline (sp?) does when you're in shock.

Cops were cool when they realized it was a women rider hurt and even got a flat bed instead of a tow truck to haul my bike away as I was begging them not to hang my bike on a tow truck.

Didn't cry till I saw my beautiful bike laying on the street all smashed up....was the most painful sight.....

I was lucky, only down with injuries for 6 months and got the bike put back together better than ever over those 6 months.

I really thought I was going to meet my maker when I saw that tanker coming...it was definately the most scariest moment of my life....on or off the bike.

Motu
24th March 2004, 08:25
OOOhhh,tha't nasty - I'm always worried about that one,looking in the mirror and seeing something out of control behind.

I was talking to a guy awhile ago who did some releif driving in the States - he said he would see a minimum of 4 major truck wrecks a day - mainly driver fatigue and overloading but also condition and build of the trucks,those rigs wouldn't be aloud on our roads,he saw trailers just break in half.Also some rigs,mainly California don't run front brakes,they have their reasons,but the rest of the world thinks they're nuts.

celticyankee
24th March 2004, 09:53
Motu, I can relate to what your mate was saying about trucks in the states. I rode as navigator in a big rig in the states for 8 months with my kiwi husband. The west coast is definately worse in regards to truck conditions, etc....we did MAJOR checks on any trailers we picked up there especially on the Mexican/USA border as most were far from legal or safe.

We only saw 3 major accidednts in 8 months, but then again, we tried to avoid the west coast as much as possible.

Drivers are paid by the mile and with the company taking 10% off the top of any job, drivers will push themselves far beyond safe limits to earn money.

With all that said, I have to say those 8 months driving across the states was an amazing adventure....I have some pretty funny stories stored in the memory bank from that time.........what a long strange trip it was.......

Omega1
24th March 2004, 10:06
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I must say this site is great.

One of my Scariest moments...I had just bought a new TL1000s and decided that an early morning ride to Martinborough would be a great way to get acquainted with my new bike.Everything was going well,I had the roads to myself got over the hill and was riding out to Martinborough.I came around a corner and there was a cow standing in the middle of the road.....gulp!.hit the brakes swerved and flew past with the two bros cans roaring. Ok I thought this is a rural road I can handle the odd cow no problem.I continued to the township then turned around and on the way back a blackbird flew out of the grass on the side of the road and hit me in the chest I nearly died of heartfailure.
I stayed on but decided that since the Wairarapa wildlife obviously had it in for me I would go home....

Solarwind
24th March 2004, 10:28
I remember waiting in a turning bay, and the road was wet after a recent storm, a 4WD or SUV came up behind me and skidded on the wet road... I let go of the clutch and sped forward a few metres. Thankfully I had the room to do that :eek5:

Big Dog
26th March 2004, 15:41
Speaking of Trucks. First out of town ride on a M/B at the ladies mile just north of mt messenger I encountered a Jackknifing petrol tanker, whole road blocked (he screwed up the corner) I was doing 180kmph and had to hit the picks hard and fast back wheel locked, no time to pulse, front wheel squealing like a stuck pig in protest, smoke pouring of my two and his 18 (?). Came to an untidy halt (like something out of a John Woo movie) with less than a bike length in it.

Now that is a guaranteed cure for constipation!!! :~

Olly
10th March 2007, 10:18
What about this; heading back from Dargaville towards Whangarei, round a courner I just manage to hit the possum running infront of the bike and then the electrics die and I can't see anything (11pm). Unfortunatly after breaking heavily thinking to myself oh s*** wheres the ditch, the lights power back up! Was a slow trip back after that...

Bruiser
10th March 2007, 21:23
I remember waiting in a turning bay, and the road was wet after a recent storm, a 4WD or SUV came up behind me and skidded on the wet road... I let go of the clutch and sped forward a few metres. Thankfully I had the room to do that :eek5:

These days I always try to leave enough room in front at stops to exit left of the vehicle in front, especially if the road is wet!

I even point the bike slightly to the left so I at least have a slight chance of getting out of the way if I hear that horrible braking noise behind me. Left, because theres no traffic coming my way.

and you'd be surprised how many cage drivers give me the dirty look for leaving too much room in front, but to be honest I'd rather that than leave no room to move.

Shadows
10th March 2007, 23:36
:lol:
Do you sit on your bike when you refuel?

Ever thought what would happen if it overflowed?
Would you wear it?
Would it ignite when it contacted the hotter parts of the engine?

Will it happen? who knows.
Could it happen? Yes.
Do you want to find out?

Done it. About at least half a litre all over me and the bike including engine and headers, having just pulled in off the main drag where I had been doing 120k for the last couple of hours. Nothing happened except that my leathers stank of petrol for weeks.

I still fill up while sitting on the bike. Just much more carefully.

jade
11th March 2007, 09:39
Ive had bout 10 crashes in 3 years, and been fucken lucky, worst injuries Ive had have been a grazed elbow or knee.
Cept for one, I didnt get up after that one.
Going to work, Id woken up late and gone straight to work, every day for weeks Id gone for a ride before work for an hour.
Takes about 3 or 4 mins from my house to work if you get the lights right,
I went straight to work and coming round the corner my work was on I was banked over, around the corner a car coming the other way was sitting indicating to turn across my path, you guessed it simultaneously she turned as I came around the corner, This was the scariest moment of my life.
It wasnt raining but the road was wet. Instantly I backed off the throttle and hit the brakes, front and back - locked up and skidded towards her car.
When I backed off the throttle I was probably doing 70k in a 50.
I remember everything to the point of impact. theres a 10 second blank there but then people are around me - (my work was across the road)
I didnt go over the bonet, I just hit between the passenger door and the back door square and stopped.
My bike was right next to me - I wasnt getting up
Ambo came eventually and cut my pants off and checked me - Not a scratch on me - But my femeur was sticking out my leg and a small pool of blood developing - Not a scratch on me but a broken femeur in 5 places.
Gave me a big ass bottle of nos and a couple hits of morphine. bliss.
40cm rod later, 2 blood transfusions and 6 hours of surgery later im as good as new, just cant put weight on my leg for 3 months.
3 months spent fixing my bike - got on it 2 days after I ditched the crutches.
15mins after I set out the front wheel locked and I went over the bars at 60k.
I have more stories but Ive blabbed on enough

5cotty
11th March 2007, 18:26
Two up and fully loaded at Xmas (missus, tent, booze, clothes yada yada on the back) Coming to a corner and lining up on the center of one of those short one lane bridges....

Guess what?..... Yep...

Shingle in the middle.. after a bit of snakin around I had to come through the corner on the wrong side of the road and only just got back to my side in front of an oncoming car.

Oh Yeah....

The Scary bit was gettin a whack on the back of the head from the missus..
(Sheesh you would think I put the shingle on the bridge):msn-wink:

RedKLR650
11th March 2007, 20:14
If you really want to use your cell phone on a fore court buy a sheilded type like they use around explosives. My advice stay 10m upwind from the vapour source. as to why is petroleum still the main fuel source. The liquid is perfectly stable its the vapour you have to worry about. The other alternatives either offer less performance or more risk. Try this experiment. Drop a match ito a full bean can of petrol (small and out doors).
Nothing should happen if you were well ventilated. Now try it again with only a quarter of a bean can of fuel. You should get a flame of height determined by the ambient temperature.

As a professional photographer I once had a shoot for Shell at their tank farm at the Port of Timaru. The shoot had to take place on the top of one of the tanks 1/2 full of fuel, so the Shell boss accompanied me with some sort of sniffer device and if I remember rightly, he said that it is only in a small mixture range that the vapour becomes explosive ( 14% I think it was - could be wrong..... ). In other words, if there is pure vapour, it doesn't ignite easily, and if there is too much air, the vapour is not there in large enough quantities to be dangerous...... :Oops:

Hope that's helpful, Cheers, Stu

Rincewind
11th March 2007, 20:51
I was pillion on a honda 750/4 in about 1972 when my pilot decided to get airbourne on a humpback bridge over a canal in Birmingham.
We landed on the wrong side of the white line over the crest with a vehicle approaching head on I felt a sharp stab in my right side and,when I looked down the pocket was missing from my belstaff jacket,something protruding from the car had dug in and ripped it off never to be seen again along with my keys and a rather nice sandwich I had just purchased for the journey !!!
I kept the jacket for years afterwards it was always a good coversation starter........but could have so easily been the start of a very different story !:scooter:

Manxman
11th March 2007, 21:23
...Well f%$^ me! It fills like a sail, I am lifted in the air cluching on to the now over revving XS250 with all the strength in my arms and thighs concentrated on not getting sucked off the back.

Well f#$% me I never considered it might take the bike as well. We were carried back about two meters and slammed somewhat uncerremoniosly on the road, somehow upright but in slapper with the ute behind me in a fourwheel lock up.

bwahahaha...LMFAO....sooo funny!

speeding_ant
11th March 2007, 21:40
Travelling into palmy and a car swerved from their side of the road into mine. Doing 150km/h. Grabbed the brakes and chose the best path. Had to go on the other side of the road to miss her (by a matter of cms). The car didnt brake, crashed into the ditch and flipped into a paddock (through a fence). Stopped in a hurry and had to help her out. Turned out she was around 70 and fell asleep at the wheel. Realised i could have been coma toast and went out and bought better brakes and did a course. :yes:

Also had a 4x4 hit me head on, i stopped myself with my head on a croncrete poll. Scary moment, still have some short term memory loss.

Also power sliding up a hill after the back gave out in the rain. Gave her some throttle and stood up on the pegs. Eventually (felt like minutes) the back caught on again. Scary as there was a cliff on the other side!!

Countless other crazy cages trying to write my name in the history books. Have learnt to make sure you have control of all situations, defensive driving is the key! All of these situations have made me a better rider. :Punk:

sunhuntin
11th March 2007, 22:06
had a few freaky moments. worst would be heading back into town from a short country blast. 100k zone, but it was after 9pm, so i was maybe doing 80k. had my light on full.
see lights coming towards me, so dip the beam. twin lights...then i see an identical pair behind them.
the second pair vanishes in a dip in the road, and then reappears ALONGSIDE the first car. racing, on my side of the road. i look at them, hit the brakes and stare desperately towards where the ditch would be.
after what seemed like a lifetime, the second lights pull back in behind the first, and they are gone.
im still on the brakes, and quickly knock out the gears, till im sitting, panting. shakily make my way home, the back wobbling the whole way. turned out to be my own terror that was doing that.
seriously considered hanging up the keys after that. all i remember thinking was "not again, and shit this is going to hurt!" fully expecting to be sent flying again.
went back the next day...there was a skid mark the same length as my bike.
damn good thing it wasnt raining, and that the car pulled back in, at the last second. this was not long after getting the 06 gn, and i was not looking forward to being put back in a cast. that time of night, with no cell phone, and no street lights, i could have been there a while.

with reguards to cell phones and petrol fumes...i try and discourage their use, the same as i do smoking. got given a filthy look a while back for telling a woman to stop tapping her ash onto my forecourt. have even seen one guy stop in the middle of a forecourt and light up. i was fully expecting everything to go BOOM, but it didnt.
that forecourt has a restaurant next door, and they also use gas cookers. not a very good mix.
there was a report late last year from the states a woman "exploded" after a spark from her clothing.
ever got an electric shock from your car or a shopping trolley? that could cause a spark and therefore, a fire.
when i was a kid, i had a winter night shirt. when the sleeves were scratched at hard and fast, and then quickly lifted off the skin, i could see the sparks dancing, like mini lightening bolts. i dont know what material it was, but its a wonder i didnt get burned. lol
i personally dont fill the bike while straddling it, but plently do. i dont bother mentioning it. i can see why they do it. my luck id get more on the tank than in it.

jim.cox
12th March 2007, 13:53
What's the most frightening situation you've ever been in while riding?

State Highway 6, coming north onto the one-way bridge at the Lindis River.

I was sure the road was clear, came round the corner onto the bridge and found a car. Locked the back wheel, got it back again and just had room to go down the side of the car, having clipped his radio aerial with my bar-end mirror.

I dont think we could have got any closer

And it was all my own fault :(

KoroJ
12th March 2007, 17:10
Some years back I was travelling from Chch to Picton on an XL250 with pack etc. Left in the rain & rode through sleet & snow over the Hundalees. By the time I got near the coast I was in a bit of a stupor and looking down at the road, noticed it was dry. I then noticed the white line cross below me and when I looked up I was entering the big Left hand Sweeper onto the coast with a VW coming the other way. (This corner drops away 2 or 3 metres to the rocks & sea, with no barriers...at least not then).

There was no concious thought involved and the only option was taken instinctively, to go round the VW, hanging out the tail in the gravel between road and precipice, speedway style. The look on the other drivers face was something to behold (I suppose mine too) and it sure woke me up. The after effects was a mix of cold sweat from being stroked by the hand of death and euphoria of pulling off an amazing stunt.

Don't know how I did it...wouldn't recommend it...couldn't do it again...I've got an awsome Guardian Angel and thank God for all the offroading we used to do.

placidfemme
13th March 2007, 09:26
Well my scariest moment was totally self inflicted I guess one could say.

Riding down South following a certain biker who was showing me the way because I'm unfamiliar with the roads and another close biker friend on his bike behind me...

Biker "A" ahead of me pulls out to overtake, being on a 1000cc bike the amount of time it takes to pull out, overtake and pull back in is just a matter of seconds... I'm right on her ass, gassing the lil 250 doing easily 160kph+. I check the road ahead, an oncoming car about 300m odd away. In top gear, throttle full open to "no more twist left", cage that we're overtaking accelerates, now I'm doing 180kph+ and too comitted to my manuvour (sp) to brake at those speeds and get back behind the cage before the oncoming vehicle is even with us.

Tucked myself into the smallest little thing possible on my bike, chin on the tank, gas full on... rear tyre bouncing off the cats eyes on the centre line and wossssshhhhhhh as oncoming cage passes.

All I saw was the mirror from the cage on the right barely miss my mirror and the driver of the oncoming cage giving me the bird with a very angry look on his face... he proberly would have laughed if he'd seen the "I'm going to shit myself" look on my face lol

Got to the gas station and the mate behind me lets me know I only had about 4cm spare on either side on the bike... scary shit... That freaked me out more than any of the other "close calls" I've had... infact it scared me more than when I wrote the bike off in 2005...

*is a LOT more careful when overtaking these days*

Jimmy B
13th March 2007, 14:02
The absolute scariest for me was off road, where I began riding. Just down the road from me in Napier was a decent area to fang dirt bikes, not the best but interesting enough with a river, a few Ks of gravel road aaaand a stop bank.

The golden rule of jumping stop banks is do not get caught, the local authorities take a very dim view, In fact so dim that I was forced to do a runner from one of the councils finest on me PE250. Rather than debate the ramifications of my actions I led him on a merry chase down the track until he got stuck and I could double back and gap it home.

I gave up riding in that area for a month, you know, to let the scene cool off a bit, however one sunny Hawke bay afternoon temptation got the better of me and I was off down the road in a puff of blue smoke.

I hit the first stop bank at around 60 into the sun on a nice angle so as to land atop in such a position as to lay a mingin patch before reversing the procedure. I had done many times before and had not a worry in the world.

When I hit the top this time, I got great air, really far more air than I’m used to as I appeared to be minus my bike. I fairly crapped my pants whilst sailing about 20 feet in the air at 60ish. That’s the last thing I remember about the flight, but I do recall the excruciating agony of coming around on the other side of the bank.

I took a moment and then crawled up the bank to find out where my bike had got to. I was amazed to behold the effectiveness of a 3 strand wire fence installed by the council during my absence. With strainer posts every 50 meters it was rendered invisible from my approach into the sun.

Took a while to untangle that lot and in hindsight it was pure Karma

Brett
13th March 2007, 18:55
[10 characters

MVnut
14th March 2007, 18:49
Scariest bike moment long long ago. I was giving my mate's very religious girlfriend a lift to his place when I was hit by a couple of wasps.......felt one go down my jacket & into my jeans !! Pulled over QUICKLY & pulled my pants off. She was still on the bike & I thought she was going to kill me:Punk:

Rincewind
28th April 2007, 17:56
oh no not the old theres a wasp down my pants trick,does that still work Ha Ha

MaxCannon
29th April 2007, 10:59
Well given that high speed on a GN is out of the question so far the scariest whas been locking up the front wheel at about 40kph

Coming up to an intersection I was already off the throttle, car coming towards me makes an un-indicated turn into a driveway directly in front of me and totally oblivious to my presence.

Road was very wet, Jumped on the brakes and locked the front up for just a moment.
Got off the brakes as the bike started to tip and swerved around the back of the car.
This was before I got decent tyres and I was surprised just how easily the front locked.

Just how you don't see a bike with headlight on and the rider in dayglow "please don't hit me" attire I'll never know.

sizzlingbadger
29th April 2007, 11:30
my worst moment was years ago when the chain snapped on my FZR1000 at about 130mph it barrelled into the casings whipped round and removed the end of my boot (just missing my toes) and then broke the rear brake torque arm causing the rear wheel to lock. I managed to stay on the bike and let it skid to a stop. I have never been so shaken in my life and always look after my chain now.

Jimmy B
30th April 2007, 08:48
my worst moment was years ago when the chain snapped on my FZR1000 at about 130mph it barrelled into the casings whipped round and removed the end of my boot (just missing my toes) and then broke the rear brake torque arm causing the rear wheel to lock. I managed to stay on the bike and let it skid to a stop. I have never been so shaken in my life and always look after my chain now.

You win!!!! :yes:

Oscar
30th April 2007, 17:17
This was pretty scary...

NighthawkNZ
30th April 2007, 18:03
What's the most frightening situation you've ever been in while riding?

having to get off and put me baby to sleep for the night :gob: :( :bye: :innocent:

breakaway
30th April 2007, 18:10
When I almost lost control on gravel on a street which I know well. My first time riding on gravel.

ALMOST lost it, somehow got it back.

kro
30th April 2007, 19:28
Mine would have been having the front wheel pop up, coming out of a corner when I got my first GSXR750. I was used to RG's and RD's, and was maybe riding the Gix a bit hard. I will admit to soiling my undies just a little that day.

90s
1st May 2007, 10:31
The times I was taken out by a golf GTi from behind and a self-inflected spill when doing 'laps' around a closed school road system (just had to keep pushing it around a little quicker each time ... ) were not scary at all. One minute situation normal, next "WTF?" Lots and lots or cagers nearly taking me out but they make me angry.

The scariest time, like so many of these stories, was a near miss. Two lanes of crawling London traffic (Commercial Rd) and I'm doing the usual down the centre lane, along with a long stream of bikes. Suddenly one idiot things he'll pull a superfast no-indicator u-turn out of the traffic with me about 3m away.
The whole thing seemed so slow that the terror went on for ages as I locked the front wheel. The rear came up so far (light bike) so I was almost standing on its nose, then started to swing around the locked front. The bike swung around and came down leaving me in a perfect 180 facing back the way I had come with the rear wheel about 5" from the car. My feet were still on the pegs throughout.
I was only doing about 50k so it wouldn't have been the world's worst smash but it was scarier than higher speed incidents for some reason.
And I often think of my perfect 'control' of the bike, and what a pity it is that I couldn't repeat that if I tried in a million years.

Now I think I will start a "most embarrassing" thread as I did something really, really stoopid recently ...

Delphinus
1st May 2007, 14:15
The scariest time, like so many of these stories, was a near miss. Two lanes of crawling London traffic (Commercial Rd) and I'm doing the usual down the centre lane, along with a long stream of bikes. Suddenly one idiot things he'll pull a superfast no-indicator u-turn out of the traffic with me about 3m away.
The whole thing seemed so slow that the terror went on for ages as I locked the front wheel. The rear came up so far (light bike) so I was almost standing on its nose, then started to swing around the locked front. The bike swung around and came down leaving me in a perfect 180 facing back the way I had come with the rear wheel about 5" from the car. My feet were still on the pegs throughout.
I was only doing about 50k so it wouldn't have been the world's worst smash but it was scarier than higher speed incidents for some reason.
And I often think of my perfect 'control' of the bike, and what a pity it is that I couldn't repeat that if I tried in a million years.

Damn! Thats something to tell the grandkids

Daffyd
1st May 2007, 16:46
Having a rear tyre blow out at 90kms through a series of 75km/h bends on a fully laden bike on the way to the March Hare.
Seemed to take forever to stop.

tri boy
1st May 2007, 16:56
Traveling between Taumaranui and Te Kuiti on a slightly illegal herbal supply run.(I've changed....truly:nono: ) Anyway, i ride out of a corner, only to find two cop cars either side of the road. Instantly, both put their lights on, and the one on my side of the gets out and waves me to a stop.:gob:
Shit! All kinds of thoughts along the lines of minor trafficking bust scenario's are racing through my head. Time in the Big House, Man love in the showers etc...
Turns out they're waiting on a house moving truck inching down a drive onto the highway, and i was the first motorist to turn up. They were on traffic control!:sweatdrop
Say no to drugs.

Timber020
1st May 2007, 21:15
Two moments spring to mind

Having the brake lever pull all the way into the handlebar at the end of the main straight at manfield when I had already left by god count late(resulting in the predictable painful and expensive outcome)

Took a mr turbo fireblade for a ride in the US. apparently it was about 230hp. Got on highway and reached rediculous rate of knots. No words for it. Makes my heart beat a little faster every time I think about it. Scary fast.

scumdog
1st May 2007, 21:20
When CB almost caught me trying to root her sister on the seat on the iron-head Sporty.....

Steen
2nd May 2007, 08:47
Heading home 8pm along riverhead rd ize lifting the bike out of a corner into a straight noticed an on coming car 500m away… possibly the bike headlight rising from lean to upright confused the driver who panicked & just wrenched the wheel sending the car spinning towards me like riding thru chopper blades … just as the car straightend I slipped right past the drivers side caught a glimpse of the drivers wide eyed face in my headlight & the car continued to spin stopping abreast the road …I snapped on my hazards & walking over the the car the driver stuck it in gear & drove straight off the rd into a ditch …so I had to walk a bit further to let the driver know she very nearly killed me …..turns out a learner never driven at night before & couldn’t see where the road went…..it went straight
I was just lucky… it happened so quick almost no time to respond all I could do was get a couple of feet towards the edge of the road before the car swerved past me….

peasea
2nd May 2007, 09:13
[QUOTE=Solarwind;28412]What's the most frightening situation you've ever been in while riding? QUOTE]

Gooks, they scare me every day and I give them a wide berth indeed. Without a doubt, they have caused more scary moments for me than trucks, ice, rain, dead animals, live animals, de-railed trains or plummeting helicopters.

They simply cannot drive.

Korea
2nd May 2007, 09:51
Was a wee while back, when I was a young man... and asking for trouble...

There’s a little sideroad on the way home which, if the traffic in front of you is pootling along at 40kmph, you can take and arrive ahead of said slow traffic.
I dove off on my spanky RGV250 and made the detour. At the point where the sideroad re-joins the main road at a T-junction you’re supposed to stop, look both ways and rejoin the flow. Of course being a tit I kept the throttle open too long and left the braking too late.
Got to the intersection, slammed on the anchors, front loaded up, back got light, tyre started sliding but I was still travelling forward at about a million miles an hour.
Seeing as I’m missing the corner, I stupidly try to <i>turn while sliding</i>. Now the back has stepped right out, I’m crossed up and the rear is bouncing trying to highside me. Swerving and bouncing into the oncoming lane, I go straight through, over the curb, and into the hedge on the other side of the T-junction <b>still upright!</b>.
The bike has come to a stop and the traffic I tried to short-cut have now driven past with quizzical looks “Tosser” I check for mud and tentatively follow.
In retrospect, I admit I was a complete plonker, learnt a valuable lesson and I haven’t done anything as dumb since. (and if you believe that, you’ll believe anything). :yes:

skidMark
5th May 2007, 00:13
hmmm scariest moment well heck there have been so many,..

the one that takes the cake though is coming into a corner down in kaiaua with another rider following we had been flying thru the twisties and i looked back to see where they were...which happened to be right behind me as i'm watching them they drop back braking, i turn around and look ahead to see what is about a 35kph corner i'm 10 metres from it...doing 120.....

oh crap hollllyyy :gob: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: ....stiffened up like a n00b...went straight ahead...crossi,ng the other lane was scary just hoped there was no car co,ming the other way,

luckily there wasn't ....heading towards trees a post and wire fence oooooohhh :shit: :shit: :gob: ...and then a massive dropoff like 100 metres down into a big stack of wood in farmer browns field holy crap...i'm proper fucked....... ooo look a 2 metre wide patch of gravel running alongside the road....well i might as well try save it.... so i headed at the gravel on a big angle trying to make it longer....then stayed as hard as i could on the brakes as i hit it to lay the bike down...would rather screw a fairing than hit a fence.... leant her to the right a touch...hit the gravel..bang went down at 40kph or so....graunchhh chhhhh (worst noise ever) **shudder** stop...hey....i'm in one piece.,..whats that on the ground that shiny thing...my front brake lever....o dear.....

was an interesting 100km's home with no front brakes and most of my fairing being kept under the seats of 3 different bikes along with indicators levers etc.

good times lol

damn i made a hash of that.

Seraph
5th May 2007, 00:35
For me it would have to be riding around town on a rather wet day when someone pulled out of a driveway and staight across my lane about 10 metres ahead. I was on a bike I'd only recently purchased and pulled the front brake and there was just no bite, locked up the back and stopped about a metre from the passenger door.
The dumb bitch didn't even notice and just kept on driving...had to stop for about 10 mins after to stop shaking
similar thing happened again 2 days later, this time slammed straight into the the front right mudguard, didn't even have a chance to thing about brakes.(still recovering from that 1 2 months later..got back on a bike again yesterday!)
I guess fear comes from the fact that you know what would have happened if things had been slighly different....owel lesson learned, have good brakes and dont hesitate.

skidMark
5th May 2007, 11:42
yeah i did that once on a minibike somebody was indicating right, turned hard lock left into thier driveway....at which point i was coming up on the left...hit the mudguard...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

rooly rooly rolly rolly stop....ahhh fuck why does my elbow hurt....yes bloodey big break...i have i figure 8 of wire in my elbow ...and can never fully straighten my arm again,, ugh!!!!!!!

got sum big street cred (scar) though

Seraph
5th May 2007, 13:47
yeah i did that once on a minibike somebody was indicating right, turned hard lock left into thier driveway....at which point i was coming up on the left...hit the mudguard...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

rooly rooly rolly rolly stop....ahhh fuck why does my elbow hurt....yes bloodey big break...i have i figure 8 of wire in my elbow ...and can never fully straighten my arm again,, ugh!!!!!!!

got sum big street cred (scar) though

ahh yes....Everything was fine untill I hit the ground..then ripped off a tendon or ligiment && a chunk of bone on the inside of my knee >.< Hospital for 2 weeks and surgery...now theres a scew in there somwhere holding things together....ohwel!
shit happenz :P

Ivan
5th May 2007, 15:09
Worst for me leading the warm up lap for 150 street stock then going into Higgens at Manfield

Booooooom down I went and smashed my brand new helmet up and ripped my leathers and concussed myself couldnt remember a thing.

Or humming down the front straight final round on my 125 GP bike
Hit the breaking zone at turn one of manfield brake all sweet lapping the back markers still sweet tip in knee just about on ground changing down bike starts sliding on back wheel,

Shit Ive gone down one to many o well just ride the slide, lose power pull clutch so I can slip it for the exit, bike dies revs drop crap ive stalled it let clutch out slowly to get the back wheel spinning to turn engine on again at this point im commited I have a back marker behind me 1 in front and one on my side slowly slip clutch out back locks again,

Oh no thats a engien siezure pull clutch in hand up in air and swerve right and run into the gravel and that was it good bye my crank:shit:

breakaway
5th May 2007, 17:12
Just now.

Going through a roundabout, I'm almost out of the roundabout, indicating left to get out. Some moron just keeps coming, on my left, missed me by inches.

Scared the &#(%@ out of me.

Moxy
5th May 2007, 21:20
Just now.

Going through a roundabout, I'm almost out of the roundabout, indicating left to get out. Some moron just keeps coming, on my left, missed me by inches.

Man, that potentially happens to me a few times per week at the roundabout near the airport. Cars coming from the miramar cutting often try to make a fast one in front of me, but don't have the power to get off to a decent start, so I'll end up coming to almost a dead stop right behind them mid-roundabout while they get their act together.

Either that, or keep my speed up and get clipped.

I think it's obvious which option I pick. :gob:

breakaway
5th May 2007, 22:55
I saw him coming right for me, and though "fuck I'm NOT making it out of this", I started to formulate what it would feel like as I came off :lol:

I accelrated as fast as I could, (thank god I was in first gear), and managed to JUST get ahead of him.

speeding_ant
6th May 2007, 13:22
I saw him coming right for me, and though "fuck I'm NOT making it out of this", I started to formulate what it would feel like as I came off :lol:

I accelrated as fast as I could, (thank god I was in first gear), and managed to JUST get ahead of him.

Heh, thank goodness RG's accelerate like crazy in 1st!!

skidMark
7th May 2007, 01:02
Just now.

ive had that happen in a bloodey car
i came thru the roundabout this dick was just checking to his right missed me by about an inch..... stupid blind mofo

some cagers are so fucking out of it honestly

skidMark
7th May 2007, 01:03

at which point you chased him grabbed his keys out of the ignition and rode away with them right?

breakaway
7th May 2007, 01:12
at which point you chased him grabbed his keys out of the ignition and rode away with them right?

No, as I was too busy shitting myself :shutup:

speeding_ant
7th May 2007, 11:59
Heh. Well another scary moment on a bike is.. On my mountain bike at kapati bike park last month. Racing my mate down a section I didnt know.. :nono: Went round a berm that was followed by a BIG jump (around 3-4 meters high). Going about 50km/h, the front wheel exited the berm in sand (who the fuck designed that), got wallowed out and I went over the jump pointing a bit too far to the left. Hit a tree at 50km/h. Ouch. Full contact. Went down, looked at my wrist. It was facing a direction I didnt want it to face. Waited two hours, no pain releif at all. Holy crap the pain was not good. Now I have four pins in my arm holding it all together. My x-rays arrived today and man... no wonder I have pins!! :Punk: So now I'm stuck without riding a motorbike for a while... at least another 3 weeks. :cry:

What had happened is that my mate went off the jump first and displaced the bit of carpet at the end of the berm. Lesson.. Never race a guy with a $15000 mountain bike.

skidMark
7th May 2007, 13:44
Heh. Well another scary moment on a bike is.. On my motorcross at ardmore last month. Racing my mate down a section I didnt know.. :nono: Went round a berm that was followed by a BIG jump (around 30-40 meters high). Going about 80km/h, the front wheel exited the berm in sand (who the fuck designed that), got wallowed out and I went over the jump pointing a bit too far to the left. Hit a tree at 80km/h. Ouch. Full contact. Went down, looked at my wrist. It was facing a direction I didnt want it to face. Waited two hours, no pain releif at all. Holy crap the pain was not good. Now I have four pins in my arm holding it all together. My x-rays arrived today and man... no wonder I have pins!! :Punk: So now I'm stuck without riding a motorbike for a while... at least another 3 weeks. :cry:

What had happened is that my mate went off the jump first and displaced the bit of carpet at the end of the berm. Lesson.. Never race a guy with a $15000 motorcross.

a mountain bike?, u softcock, it needs an engine see ive edited it for you...much cooler

bl4de
7th May 2007, 19:33
Riding two up on the back of my mates ZX10 back in England. we found a nice long road & decided to nail it. Got up to 150mph & he ducked down a bit more, the wind got between us & the next thing i know i'm looking at the sky, lying flat out, still holding onto the grab rail with my legs under his arms. When he stopped we just fell about laughing like two little kids. The funniest scariest thing i have ever done!

speeding_ant
8th May 2007, 18:10
a mountain bike?, u softcock, it needs an engine see ive edited it for you...much cooler

Ha. Me and my mate raced a guy on a 250cc (not sure what brand/model but definitely four stroke) down long gulley and we owned on downhill. We just jumped over everything and he couldnt keep up. Of course they fucked off up the hill afterwards.. but still, mountain biking isnt something to be knocked :innocent: . Plus, its nice to get away from the buzz of motorcycle engines once and a while... The only reason why you would call me a softcock was if I was riding a scooter.. :scooter: ;)

swbarnett
14th May 2007, 10:30
Years ago I was on a CB750F2 coming into the final bend before the straight leading to the bridge over the Manukau harbour heading for Onehunga (before the current motorway to the airport existed). I knew that corner like the back of my hand so I cornered at my normal speed that night in thick fog. Some idiot had filled a pothole with a smooth slippery surface whereas the rest of the road was volcanic chip. Needless to say, when my rear wheel hit the repair it slid out badly. Instictively my left leg went out straight, my foot hit the road square, ouch! Jarred but no damage to the leg and I managed to stay off the road. When my rear wheel reached the edge of the repair it gripped again. The momentum of the slide damn near threw me off. The bike now swings over to the right. Right leg out, bang, once more to the left and the bike stabilised again. I wsa damn lucky there was no traffic and I was in the left lane! I crossed both lanes and damn near hit the median barrier before regaining control.

Needles to say, I'm a little more carefull in fog since then.