PDA

View Full Version : Heading Home

geoffm
18th November 2005, 18:37
Well, I am on my way back from Christchurch to Auckland. I left Chch on Wednesday morning - up through Hamner and the Lewis pass to Westport. Nice and fine when I left, but it pissed down once I got over the Lewis Pass, which was a bit disappointing, as it is a nice bike road. Stayed at the albion pub in Westport ($30/ night). Thursday was up to Karamea. I have never been there before, so I wanted to have a look. Not a lot up there...
The weather was supposed to be fining - like hell, it was still pissing down in the morning, although cleared to merely overcast and drizzle later.
The history of Denniston and the incline railway has always interested me, so I took a look up there on the way past. nice road on the way up, but I can see why everyone left - in the clouds, cold and bloody wet. Those miners were damn tough. There was a good view on the way down once I got below cloud level.
After filling up again in Westport after I got back from Karamea, I headed off towards Murchison. I inteded to stop there, but it was still light, so kept going over the Hope range to Kahuna, which is the turn off to Moteka from SH6. Stayed in the pub there - recommend this. $8 for a big feed of lamb steak, chips and salad (and $30 for a bed).
Today's journey was Kahuna -> Motueka first - a most excellent road of open sweepers and some twisty bits. At motueka, took off towards Takakaka over the hil - 25km of corners - longest straight would be 100m. Damn good - I am sure the locals know it well. Onwards (after more gas) to Collingwood and Farewell spit, so that I coudl say I have been to the tippie top of the South Island, and was briefly north of Wellington. I took the turn off to Rockford, calling into the machinery museum and followed the signs to the Heaphy track. The road turns to gravel about 15km before the heaphy track so stopped there, turned around to Bainham for an icecream in the one and only building in the palce
The shop is a living museum in its own right - complete with poster on the wall for the intruduction of decimal curency in NZ. Spent an hour or so there talking to the owner, who took over the store from her grandfather (who built it in 1928) in 1954.
A strictly average latte in Collingwood, then back to Nelson.
I have my suspicions about the rear tyre - _ don't think it is going to make it home, and I doubt anyone will be open in Wellington when I finally get there this weekend with a 160-60-18 Metzer MEZ6.
Photos later as the trip continues, and if I find my digital camera cable.
Geoff