PDA

View Full Version : Police targeting NS

Jackrat
25th February 2004, 13:07
Just read in the news,Police are targeting speeding motorists on Aucklands North Shore.Seems you rich buggers over there are all a pack of bad buggers
so your time has come.A one month campain to lower speeds on the North Shore.Have fun folks.

curious george
25th February 2004, 14:03
D'oh! guess it's off to west auckland then! :finger:

Lou Girardin
25th February 2004, 14:17
Just read in the news,Police are targeting speeding motorists on Aucklands North Shore.Seems you rich buggers over there are all a pack of bad buggers
so your time has come.A one month campain to lower speeds on the North Shore.Have fun folks.

Don't know about being rich, but we do pay our fines. Dumbarses.
Lou

Motu
25th February 2004, 14:21
Maybe that's the new policy - target those that can pay.

matthewt
25th February 2004, 14:31
Maybe that's the new policy - target those that can pay.

That's not the new policy thats been the current policy for a while. The reason they target the 10-20 k over the limit people is because stats show that 90%+ of those people pay their fines on time. Whereas with the people 40k+ over the limit less than 50% pay them on time.

White trash
25th February 2004, 14:33
While we're on the subject. Bayliff came round home at 10:30 on Friday night.
"We're here to seize your bike, Mr Mair. Unpaid fines dating 1993."

So went the weekend without, sorting it out on Monday morning and apparently, if they take your vehicle and you can't pay straight away. They sell it. No time payment options, 7 days later it's gone at auction :eek5:

That's gonna get people off their arses! :bash:

SPman
25th February 2004, 14:37
Don't know about being rich, but we do pay our fines. Dumbarses.
Lou
Oh yeah - speak for yrself

Hitcher
25th February 2004, 14:45
Oh yeah - speak for yrself

Oh no, not the comfy chair?!

And your three main weapons are fear, surprise and a fanatical dedication to the pope??

jrandom
25th February 2004, 15:08
Oh no, not the comfy chair?!

And your three main weapons are fear, surprise and a fanatical dedication to the pope??

Three! No, four! Four main weapons, ah...

Hitcher
25th February 2004, 15:37
Three! No, four! Four main weapons, ah...

And nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, Cardinal Fang!

jrandom
25th February 2004, 15:48
NOBODY expects the ...

Ah, bugger.

Big Dog
25th February 2004, 17:32
Pay to check if you have any old fines you don't know about huh?

Big Dog
25th February 2004, 18:05
Pay to check if you have any old fines you don't know about huh?
:doh: I just checked $700 of what was once $450
Oh well better to get on a plan now than try to come up with the scratch all at once, especially when I don't get paid again for almost another month.

If in doubt call 0800 4 FINES. I only new about the one out of the three. I thought I only owed $130.
:o :disapint: :thud:

Deebeeriz
25th February 2004, 21:45
You can buy a fake NZ license on the net for $25 NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO FOOL A COP but good enough to fool the the postie shop worker, so it is possible to get it in a false name and address, (pick a name of someone you hate(no politicians please ,be original. the license number is an alogarithym of the name and dob)).pay the $9 and change your bike into this name, result no more tickets coming to your address, when they do catch on and stop you because of your plate number, say you bought it from (Quoteing the false name), and change it into either your name or another false name, (the fake licenses are cheaper if you buy bulk) remember to pay cash for all your reg, wof, and change of ownership, so they cant trace you .Well they can, but there are too many more important crimes out there, like revenue gathering from fines. (back to square one)

Zed
25th February 2004, 22:30
...Whereas with the people 40k+ over the limit less than 50% pay them on time.It's a common phenomenom...the irresponsible attitude of dangerous drivers usually extends to many other areas in their life! ;)

"He also that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster."

I wonder if this clampdown on the Shore is associated in any way with the current safety campaign?...Waiuku next?? Where? :whistle:

Zed

Lou Girardin
26th February 2004, 06:13
Call me paranoid, but since I've been winding up the traffic nazis the enforcement in the quiet North Shore area I live in has got pretty heavy.
But I'm not entirely stupid. As the saying goes, don't crap where you eat.
Lou

Motu
26th February 2004, 06:44
You have our permission to continue your campain - for as long as you like....just don't shift house into my area.

jrandom
26th February 2004, 07:45
... irresponsible attitude of dangerous drivers ... "He also that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster."

... and cousin to him that is irritatingly supercilious about it?

Which translation is this that you keep quoting from, anyway? Its grammar is starting to annoy me.

Jackrat
26th February 2004, 09:02
It's a common phenomenom...the irresponsible attitude of dangerous drivers usually extends to many other areas in their life! ;)

"He also that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster."

I wonder if this clampdown on the Shore is associated in any way with the current safety campaign?...Waiuku next?? Where? :whistle:

Zed
Waiuku, yeah probably.
The articule I was reading did state they were going to taget school areas an such,catching people mainly exceding the 50 km limit.
Can't help but think there is a bit of propoganda in that statement as they will be everywhere,the school statement just being a play on the safty issue.
Like when was the last time a child was injured outside a school on the shore.
Ummmmm,I think it does have more to do with the odds on of fast fine payment.And that rich thing is just a perception that I'm sure is shared by the revenuers.
Dang And guess where I'm off to this morning

Zed
26th February 2004, 09:10
... and cousin to him that is irritatingly supercilious about it?

Which translation is this that you keep quoting from, anyway? Its grammar is starting to annoy me.
Why do you assume that it's from a translation?

SPman
26th February 2004, 09:29
Well, prick sitting with a laser under the Northcote flyover at 10.30 last night!
Good thing the alarm bells were ringing (and I had a car between me and him) :bleh:

jrandom
26th February 2004, 12:03
Why do you assume that it's from a translation?

All these Biblical quotes of yours aren't in Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek, are they?

Zed
26th February 2004, 12:38
All these Biblical quotes of yours aren't in Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek, are they?
You weren't born yesterday!

jrandom
26th February 2004, 12:49
You weren't born yesterday!

erm... so which is it, then?

Sycophant
2nd March 2004, 17:04
erm... so which is it, then?

That last quote was Proverbs 18:9 from the King James Version.

If that grammar bothers you, you might like one of these:

New International Version (NIV):
One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys.

Slack habits and sloppy work are as bad as vandalism.

Amplified Bible:
He who is loose and slack in his work is brother to him who is a destroyer and he who does not use his endeavors to heal himself is brother to him who commits suicide.

New Living Translation:
A lazy person is as bad as someone who destroys things.

Contempary English Version:
Being lazy is no different from being a troublemaker.

Young's Literal Translation:
He also that is remiss in his work, A brother he [is] to a destroyer.

And people choose to take the bible literally? With all these sorts of variants? Anyway.

www.biblegateway.com is where I figured all that out.

Zed
2nd March 2004, 18:20
...And people choose to take the bible literally? With all these sorts of variants? Anyway...

Syco, you have gone out of your way to demonstrate that there are variations in these different versions of the Bible, and then you question those who choose to take the Bible literally?

I'm not too sure of your motives, but my guess is that you can't understand how people can take it literally with so many contradictions between the different versions?- And that my friend is why there are so many new versions coming out so often (around 50 versions released in the past 100 or so years). The more versions there are available the more confusing & difficult it is for Christians to find the truth of God's word (which reveals Gods will!) Do you believe in a Devil? That old subtle serpent! :devil2: He has been attacking Gods word ever since the garden of Eden.

I take the Bible literally, but I don't have multiple versions open on the table of which I choose the best meaning from...I only read, believe, and practise One Bible, and that's the KJV. It is the word of God!

Try your Bible comparison on Isaiah 14:12 and see the obvious results! The KJV is the only one that preserves the truth of the Devils name.

Zed

Two Smoker
2nd March 2004, 18:28
The thing is that Strategic Traffic Units in Auckland target speed for a month period, but those units generally dont spread the word that they are doing that. Its like a one off i think that they broadcasted the fact the the North Shore STU was having a crack down on speed for a month.

They also have crack downs on seatbelts etc.....

Lou Girardin
2nd March 2004, 20:33
They were having a good go in New Lynn today. Three patrol cars and a bike cop with a laser gun.
Lou

Zoot
4th March 2004, 19:54
I take the Bible literally, but I don't have multiple versions open on the table of which I choose the best meaning from...I only read, believe, and practise One Bible, and that's the KJV. It is the word of God!

Who told you that?

Coldkiwi
4th March 2004, 20:34
The more versions there are available the more confusing & difficult it is for Christians to find the truth of God's word

The KJV is the only one that preserves the truth of the Devils name.

Zed

Zed, I'm not sure about your KJV conclusion at all. But I am quite certain that part of the reason we have things like The Message translations is to make it easier to understand. My NIV doesn't confuse me anywhere NEAR the amount a KJV translation does! I know you love quoting KJV scripture but it takes a lot of effort from me to get my head around the words, let alone the deeper meanings scripture contains.

anyway.. where were we? damn pigs! :mad:

Skyryder
4th March 2004, 20:49
The problem wiith literal translations is this.

In 325, Constantine called together the council of Nicea in order to settle a theological dispute concerning the deity of Christ. He presided over this council which exiled Arius and several others for heresy.

This is the word of man and not of God, Jesus, or the Trinity.

Incedently the dispute over the deity of Christ was causing political 'fallout' within the empire. Spiritual salavation was not on the agenda. :finger:

In ya eye bro, just hope you have a good sense of humour.

Skyryder

Two Smoker
4th March 2004, 20:54
So this went from talking about polics targeting speed to religion? i think thats a bit :Offtopic: . Im all sweet about religion aye:niceone: , but why dont you start a Rave On thread about it????

BTW does neone get pissed off about people looking at accidents and slowing down traffic:argh: ??????

Zed
4th March 2004, 21:08
The problem wiith literal translations is this.

In 325, Constantine called together the council of Nicea in order to settle a theological dispute concerning the deity of Christ. He presided over this council which exiled Arius and several others for heresy.

This is the word of man and not of God, Jesus, or the Trinity.

Incedently the dispute over the deity of Christ was causing political 'fallout' within the empire. Spiritual salavation was not on the agenda. :finger:

In ya eye bro, just hope you have a good sense of humour.

Skyryder
The corrupt council of Nicea and any other councils thereafter have absolutely no bearing on my belief to take the Bible literally.

You quote Catholic church history which had no influence on the inspiration and preservation of the holy scriptures into the english language of the AV1611.
Btw- Your provocative smilie finger has no place in such a post. :innocent:

Zed

Skyryder
4th March 2004, 21:09
[QUOTE=Two Smoker]So this went from talking about polics targeting speed to religion? i think thats a bit :Offtopic: .

Sort of tend to agree with you Two Smoker but the cops that have ticketed me seem to think that they are God. And am I a Cop Fearing Biker. :Police:

You bet I am. I work too bloody hard for my money to hand it over them just because they ping me when I am ovetaking and trying to get on the right side of the road in the shortest possibale time. Should be a law about speeding when overtaking cars. Like in no law or speed resriction when overtaking. :moon:

Skyryder

Two Smoker
4th March 2004, 21:15
You bet I am. I work too bloody hard for my money to hand it over them just because they ping me when I am ovetaking and trying to get on the right side of the road in the shortest possibale time. Should be a law about speeding when overtaking cars. Like in no law or speed resriction when overtaking. :moon:

Skyryder
I agree, the police need to give out tickets not just for speed but to consider the conditions and reasons the speed is being done.
For instance if your doing 300kmh down the motorway with cars around, you deserve everything the can throw at you, but if ur overtaking someone and are speeding at around 110-150kmh (on the open road of course) and are doing so safely whats the point of giving a ticket then? All for fucking quotas:mad:

Stupid government:finger:

speedpro
5th March 2004, 08:01
"Eighteen-year-old Erin Burgess died when the motorcyclist reached speeds nearing 200 km/h. The motorcyclist was also killed. "

from a news story on xtra this morning. Just think about it. It isn't when you bang into someone at speed, it's just a matter of doing the speed. Next time any of you are irresponsibly exceeding the speed limit just remember that innocent people "will" be dying. In this case the police were able to apprehend the culprit and I expect charges will be laid shortly. :no:

riffer
5th March 2004, 08:16
...reached speeds nearing 200 km/h. The motorcyclist was also killed.
Get real mate.

It's a big fucking difference between getting 35 demerits and $170 ticket for overtaking on the Wellington motorway at 120km/h and riding into someone else at 200km/h 'cause you were p'd up to the eyeballs as well as stoned, and tried to run away from the police.

As usual, ltsa/police/govt propaganda is used to try and tell us that its okay for them to bust us doing perfectly safe manouevres like overtaking while using ridiculous examples as evidence.

I totally agree with Skyrider. How long will it be before we start seeing head-ons significantly over-represented in crash figures because the average driver or rider is too damn scared to overtake at a safe (while illegal) speed because of some mindless order-following twat with a laser.

Idiots will always be idiots. Doesn't mean the average person should get punished for it.

Lou Girardin
5th March 2004, 08:53
"Eighteen-year-old Erin Burgess died when the motorcyclist reached speeds nearing 200 km/h. The motorcyclist was also killed. "

from a news story on xtra this morning. Just think about it. It isn't when you bang into someone at speed, it's just a matter of doing the speed. Next time any of you are irresponsibly exceeding the speed limit just remember that innocent people "will" be dying. In this case the police were able to apprehend the culprit and I expect charges will be laid shortly. :no:

What?
Lou

riffer
5th March 2004, 09:04
What?
Lou
Maybe the culprit was the policeman chasing the motorcyclist, Lou.

Otherwise lets see them charge a dead man.

Holy Roller
5th March 2004, 14:31
I heard last night that the new guidelines for police pursuits will rest with the command opperations on the other end of the RT, not with the officer on the scene. The comment stated that this would likely see a reduction in pursuits.
I say will it lead to more carnage as offenders know they can out run the police.
This govenment is pulling its pants down by trying to be politically correct. Any one live in one of these no go areas...? Here in the BOP the areas listed are prodominatley Maori settlements. When you have nowhere to go home is usually the best place.... but not now so it seems, just another anti family legislation from our beloved Nazi dictator. :blank:

riffer
5th March 2004, 14:48
from our beloved Nazi dictator. :blank:
don't you mean femi-nazi?

you can't tell me that merkin of a husband actually wears the pants in their family?

This govt has a track record of being anti-family.

Holy Roller
5th March 2004, 15:04
don't you mean femi-nazi?

you can't tell me that merkin of a husband actually wears the pants in their family?

This govt has a track record of being anti-family.

The marriage was to make one "femi-nazi" look good according to Investigate magazine and a certain Australian reporter.

James Deuce
5th March 2004, 15:07
. When you have nowhere to go home is usually the best place.... but not now so it seems, just another anti family legislation from our beloved Nazi dictator. :blank:

That was the FIRST thing that popped into me head when I heard it. I just think the whole idea is sad. Pick on a disadvantaged segment of society and then reduce their rights and freedoms - and then watch them like hawks and jump on them like a ton of bricks if they dare to disobey.

speedpro
5th March 2004, 18:57
Geez Celtic, I was being sarcastic. :calm:

However the bit in "quotes" was actually from the story as mentioned. Just an example of the dumb reporting that helps propogate the myth about speed in itself being dangerous.
I've grown old and slow and sensible now but in the past have been guilty of riding various Jap 1100s as fast as they'd go on the road. From experiance I know that speed isn't dangerous, it's "inappropriate" speed, whatever makes it inappropriate and irrespective of whether it is greater or less than the posted limit.

Big Dog
8th March 2004, 16:11
The corrupt council of Nicea and any other councils thereafter have absolutely no bearing on my belief to take the Bible literally.

Zed
Man have I got some beans for you if you think adam and eve or the garden of eden etc are more than just metaphors/fables. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off topic sorry guys.

spudchucka
8th March 2004, 16:26
Get real mate.

It's a big fucking difference between getting 35 demerits and $170 ticket for overtaking on the Wellington motorway at 120km/h and riding into someone else at 200km/h 'cause you were p'd up to the eyeballs as well as stoned, and tried to run away from the police.

As usual, ltsa/police/govt propaganda is used to try and tell us that its okay for them to bust us doing perfectly safe manouevres like overtaking while using ridiculous examples as evidence.

I totally agree with Skyrider. How long will it be before we start seeing head-ons significantly over-represented in crash figures because the average driver or rider is too damn scared to overtake at a safe (while illegal) speed because of some mindless order-following twat with a laser.

Idiots will always be idiots. Doesn't mean the average person should get punished for it.

All citizens are idiots before the law!!

Sorry, equal before the law!! :wacko:

Lou Girardin
9th March 2004, 05:40
All citizens are idiots before the law!!

Sorry, equal before the law!! :wacko:

The real spud appears!
Lou

spudchucka
9th March 2004, 12:30
The real spud appears!
Lou

And I'm almost convinced that Lou fits into the first category.

You are the master of all assumptions. :finger:

spudchucka
10th March 2004, 16:59
By the way Lou, it was a joke.

Surely the cops haven't outlawed humour as well.

Jsn
7th December 2004, 17:34

HAhaha you realise that thier idea of a 'one month campaign' is to move to the shore all those cool machines that tell you what speed you're doin in big yellow letters.. ahh good times with those machines :)

Jackrat
7th December 2004, 18:15
HAhaha you realise that thier idea of a 'one month campaign' is to move to the shore all those cool machines that tell you what speed you're doin in big yellow letters.. ahh good times with those machines :)

You've missed the boat a little here mate.
This was moooooonths ago,their doing a blitz out my way now. :rolleyes:

simo
7th December 2004, 20:23
Try this for 1%, in the lastest news on stuff.co.nz, the cops trot out some statistics, they stopped 13,810 drivers last weekend in AK, they booked 140 drivers for excess breath alcohol, yes you guessed it 0.01% hit rate, we are are all targeted for purposes of revenue collection because of 1% of the population. What they don't say is the revenue collected from all the stopped vehicles without WOF, regos, etc etc. Sure we caught 140 drivers, but we wrote out tickets for 5000 vehicles average fine of $80, love a business like that - $400,000 in fines.

I have to admit though, getting pissed driver's off the road has got to be good for all. However, hiding speed cameras under trees, and pinging Ma & PA for 63 kms suggests a very wide net all sitting under the banner of bringing the road toll down, expands the potential revenue base with using the justification " if we can save one life" There is no decisive evidence that citizens sending cheques to the police changes their driving habits at all. Our road toll is still over 400 per year in spite of all the millions collected - The road toll will be with us forever.

avgas
7th December 2004, 20:41
Try this for 1%, in the lastest news on stuff.co.nz, the cops trot out some statistics, they stopped 13,810 drivers last weekend in AK, they booked 140 drivers for excess breath alcohol, yes you guessed it 0.01% hit rate, we are are all targeted for purposes of revenue collection because of 1% of the population. What they don't say is the revenue collected from all the stopped vehicles without WOF, regos, etc etc. Sure we caught 140 drivers, but we wrote out tickets for 5000 vehicles average fine of $80, love a business like that - $400,000 in fines.

I used to think like that, but now i realise that ya cant look on the dark side of this, hey atleast there are 140 motorcyclist can can say they werent killed that night.
Those of you who drink drive frequently,
:thud: , i hope you drive off the road, and kill yourself without hurting another soul. Travling on the road is a priveledge, not a right. If you mistreat the priveledge, you should get it taken away from you.

spudchucka
7th December 2004, 20:53
Most reasonable people would be pleased to have 140 drunks off our roads and probably at the same time be disturbed that there are still that amount of pricks prepared to drive drunk. You'd think people would have learnt by now. But then people keep driving without a current rego & warrant as well, knowing they could be fined. Then they moan their arses off when they get fined and blame the police for their misfortune.

People are strange!!

scumdog
7th December 2004, 21:26

I have to admit though, getting pissed driver's off the road has got to be good for all. However, hiding speed cameras under trees, and pinging Ma & PA for 63 kms suggests a very wide net all sitting under the banner of bringing the road toll down, expands the potential revenue base with using the justification " if we can save one life" There is no decisive evidence that citizens sending cheques to the police changes their driving habits at all. Our road toll is still over 400 per year in spite of all the millions collected - The road toll will be with us forever.

How much money do you think is saved by getting ONE crash-prone drunk driver off the road?? You'd be surprised at the amount.
And the road toll would be back to the 70's level in no time if it was not for the constant pressure on traffic by Police. Does anybody care to put together a comparison of road-deaths per 1,000 population now vs the population in the 70's?
Sorry, too much of MR J.D.s fine product.

riffer
7th December 2004, 21:54
How much money do you think is saved by getting ONE crash-prone drunk driver off the road?? You'd be surprised at the amount.
And the road toll would be back to the 70's level in no time if it was not for the constant pressure on traffic by Police. Does anybody care to put together a comparison of road-deaths per 1,000 population now vs the population in the 70's?
Sorry, too much of MR J.D.s fine product.
Good point about the drunk drivers SD, but I'm not altogether convinced that the constant pressure on traffic by Police is the primary reason for the road toll coming down.

I would imagine it is responsible for at least half of it, but some of the credit must surely go to safer vehicles, different attitudes in society towards drunk driving, more use of seat belts, and roading improvements...

Notwithstanding, of course, that pressure by Police and other organisations has in no small part led to a sea change in public attitude towards drunk driving and seat belts.