PDA

View Full Version : Tumble or Slide?

Zed
19th November 2005, 20:10
Again, inspired by comments by certain members in another thread, I'm most interested to hear what experience you've had during your bin/s? Did you tumble/bounce around or did you just slide it out? Also, what protection were you wearing at the time, eg. leather one/two piece, jandals and t-shirt, etc? :weird:

I'm particularly interested in reading the percentages. If I was a betting man I'd say there were heaps more bouncers on our NZ roads!?

[Edit:]Sorry I'll start. My bin last year was a lowside around a sweeping corner, the front slid out and I landed straight on my left shoulder and then purposely flipped myself onto my back protector and slid on my back head first...I thought "sweet", until I twacked into the bank 20 metres across the road and did 2 somersaults landing on my feet more or less, then hurredly attempted to gain breath cos I winded myself badly. Jacket and pants I had on had armour, the left hand shoulder of my jacket was ripped out completely, i'm thankful it was ripped out and not me!!

Two Smoker
19th November 2005, 20:16
Again, inspired by comments by certain members in another thread, I'm most interested to hear what experience you've had during your bin/s? Did you tumble/bounce around or did you just slide it out? Also, what protection were you wearing at the time, eg. leather one/two piece, jandals and t-shirt, etc? :weird:

I'm particularly interested in reading the percentages. If I was a betting man I'd say there were heaps more bouncers on our NZ roads!?

majority of my crashes have been slides (about 5 slides i think), with the only tumble being when i crashed on the hill at Pukekohe race track at high speed

k14
19th November 2005, 20:17
In both my track crashes I did a good slide, although I did manage a forwards roll when I tried to stand up whilst still doing 20kph or so.

Back Fire
19th November 2005, 20:21
Only crash I have had that I actually left the bike I slid, jeans and a bike jacket/gloves/boots. Was only just starting biking so only 40kmph lowside

T.W.R
19th November 2005, 20:24
Done both in seperate bins plus have done an impersonation of superman at 70kmh ( that was a almost got the bike down & slide connect with a car, launch, fly, land & tumble)

erik
19th November 2005, 20:29
The only proper crash I've had I went wide on a corner and ended up in the ditch :o
Don't slide too well in ditches.
I was wearing cordura riding gear, but I don't think leather would have made any difference to sliding or not in that case.

The main thing I remember about the tumble was banging the back of my head several times as I tumbled and thinking it must be a bit like what it felt like for that guy in motogp when his rear tyre blew out and they showed some footage of him tumbling and banging his head (although I guess what I went through wasn't quite as bad...).

Motu
19th November 2005, 20:31
Always a slide,as Jim mentioned,I've only tumbled when I stood up too soon...a bit of time distortion goes on.The only time I've done a rag doll was when I lowsided a stuck wide open throttle entering a corner on the dirt track,it was an instinctive move and didn't go down nice and slow,maybe the track was sticky...anyway,it felt kinda epic,and was my last big get off.

As for what I was wearing - back when I was crashing a lot,a leather jacket was considerd ample.So,sneakers,jeans,cords,Swannis,oilskin parkas,denim jackets,open face,pudding basin and hair.You are welcome to come and inspect me for scars and skin grafts,Xray me for broken bones,all you'll find is a broken elbow as a 10 yr old.

Joni
19th November 2005, 20:33
Mine was a little of both.... I slid across the road then tumbled down a little embankment. I was wearing leathers... but I remember my shoulder made a funny popping sound, hmm it still gets sore in the cold :blink:

Zapf
19th November 2005, 20:33
slide arms out and face down for me... elbow and knee armor took most of the scrapage.. then caught a cats eye and I started rolling length wise. Elbowed myself when I landed... hence I got back protector with chest plate as well.

Zed
19th November 2005, 20:39
...with chest plate as well.Wow, you wear a chest plate!!! bit xtreme innit? :msn-wink:

SPman
19th November 2005, 20:41
Not quite sure the last one - impact with bank which violently slammed lower left leg between bike and bank, then, I think it was a bit of airborne, followed by a smidge of tumble!
Boots and leathers saved my lower leg, the impact tore off the toe slider, helmet has large chips out of the rear, so thats done its job, but, I was only wearing a half back protector, so the rock I ended up lying on, of course, was just above the top - hence the broken ribs.
Otherwise, she is all sweet.
Definately pays to wear the gear!
The same corner as Eric, apparently!

Teflon
19th November 2005, 20:46

Only ever crashed in full leathers. Should be interesting crashing in my Cordura jacket. i'm due for a big off.

If you tumble youre fucked. I always slide. but hitting and snapping a fence post in half hurts, but that saved me going over a cliff, which is a good trade off.

Kickaha
19th November 2005, 20:56
Got flicked off the sidecar and hit the track flat on my back and slid I could tell when I slid off the track as it got bumpier when I hit the grass, made me appreciate the importance of a back protector

Highsided at Nelson and after smaking my head into the ground tumbled over a few times and made the guys take a wider line as they rode around me

slidings better :yes:

FROSTY
19th November 2005, 20:59
fly fly fly SPLAT SLIIIIIIDE THUMP--SHIT OWWWWWW:doh:
2 crashes this year--one into castrol --flicked me highside then lowside -slid feet first on my back doing the starfish.-it diddnt hurt till I hit the sodding ripple strip --fucken car racers with that sharks tooth ripple strip
second one was on Piecock hill -Hit a catseye and a rock at the same time
lowside -slide -smashed into a dence post
Both times wearing back protector race vert boots full leathers good gloves and clean undies-not so clean afterwards.
No question if i wasnt wearing the good gear i wouldnt be walking

Gremlin
19th November 2005, 21:05
The only proper crash I've had I went wide on a corner and ended up in the ditch :o
Don't slide too well in ditches.
I was wearing cordura riding gear, but I don't think leather would have made any difference to sliding or not in that case.
Have we met?? Exact same with me.

Must have had too much front brake in ditch, front washed out, as its going down on its side, I go over the front tumbling. Somehow ended up with a bruise across the chest, and that was it.

Funniest thing was, as I stopped rolling, my first thought was how the bike was, didn't even check myself :blank:

trumpy
19th November 2005, 21:26
Always a slide,as Jim mentioned,I've only tumbled when I stood up too soon...a bit of time distortion goes on.The only time I've done a rag doll was when I lowsided a stuck wide open throttle entering a corner on the dirt track,it was an instinctive move and didn't go down nice and slow,maybe the track was sticky...anyway,it felt kinda epic,and was my last big get off.

As for what I was wearing - back when I was crashing a lot,a leather jacket was considerd ample.So,sneakers,jeans,cords,Swannis,oilskin parkas,denim jackets,open face,pudding basin and hair.You are welcome to come and inspect me for scars and skin grafts,Xray me for broken bones,all you'll find is a broken elbow as a 10 yr old.

Dang Motu, you lead a charmed life mate!

erik
19th November 2005, 21:31
Definately pays to wear the gear!
The same corner as Eric, apparently!
pics look familiar? the first pic is looking in the direction of pukekohe, the second would be going towards ngaruawahia. I was going towards pukekohe and ended up going into the ditch on the right in the first pic and tumbling into the creek. My bike ended up where the gravel/dirt is in the second pic (soaking up the oil that spilled from the broken crankcase). Ahh memories... :doh:

Have we met?? Exact same with me.

Must have had too much front brake in ditch, front washed out, as its going down on its side, I go over the front tumbling. Somehow ended up with a bruise across the chest, and that was it.
Yeah, I think we've met. You ride the zzr250 with the white front fairing. Was that on ridge road that you came off?
With my crash, it wasn't a case of locking the brakes. I pretty much rode the bike off the road into the ditch as I was trying to slow down. Fixating at the ditch, I guess, rather than leaning the bike further over.

SPman
19th November 2005, 21:36
pics look familiar? the first pic is looking in the direction of pukekohe, the second would be going towards ngaruawahia. I was going towards pukekohe and ended up going into the ditch on the right in the first pic and tumbling into the creek. My bike ended up where the gravel/dirt is in the second pic (soaking up the oil that spilled from the broken crankcase). Ahh memories... :doh:

The bike ended up just before the culvert and I ended up above the culvert on all the gravel! With the odd rock! Knew I should have got that full length protector of Quasi...........:thud:

Zapf
19th November 2005, 21:39
Wow, you wear a chest plate!!! bit xtreme innit? :msn-wink:

not after you fracture / almost break a rib elbowing yourself :) it reduces the chance of a bad chest injury in another accident right...:msn-wink:

Zapf
19th November 2005, 21:45

Yeah, I think we've met. You ride the zzr250 with the white front fairing. Was that on ridge road that you came off?
With my crash, it wasn't a case of locking the brakes. I pretty much rode the bike off the road into the ditch as I was trying to slow down. Fixating at the ditch, I guess, rather than leaning the bike further over.

I am curious how 2 or 3 bikes end up in the same ditch over a period of time...

SPman
19th November 2005, 21:58
Coincidence?

The corner isn't that bad.........average as 22 corners go...

erik
19th November 2005, 22:03
2 bikes, I think Gremlin crashed somewhere else. And my crash was a little over a year ago, so there's a fair space of time between them.

I reckon that corner can be a bit deceptive, it starts off fairly open but then it tightens up a bit. That combined with a slight lapse of concentration/bit of excessive speed/lack of experience/etc is what I think led to my crash.
Not sure about SPman's case though.

[edit: SPman beat me to it... now I look like I'm making excuses... :p ;) ]

Zapf
19th November 2005, 22:05
That combined with a slight lapse of concentration/bit of excessive speed/lack of experience/etc is what I think led to my crash.
Not sure about SPman's case though.

Ermm.. SPEED well blend with GSXR1K + lapse of concentration + deciptive corner..

actually sounds like my Gixxer crash.... add damp road and blend wellll....

Zed
19th November 2005, 22:05
I am curious how 2 or 3 bikes end up in the same ditch over a period of time...Earlier this year when Swanman binned his R1 I was immediately following him but I kept my line and fixated on no target but the road ahead, not so for the two 400's who were behind me cos they obviously watched Swanny dive and BOTH followed him into the ditch!! I was most shocked when I turned around to find three in there instead of one! :shit: All were wearing good gears thankfully so no serious injureeees.

erik
19th November 2005, 22:08
Earlier this year when Swanman binned his R1 I was immediately following him but I kept my line and fixated on no target but the road ahead, not so for the two 400's who were behind me cos they obviously watched Swanny dive and BOTH followed him into the ditch!! I was most shocked when I turned around to find three in there instead of one! :shit: All were wearing good gears thankfully so no serious injureeees.
I've gotta say I was bloody impressed that you didn't bin it as well :niceone:

Gremlin
19th November 2005, 22:11
yeah, you're right, we have met... haha

the 22 one was minor, almost stopped, but in the ditch, then toppled over.

3 days earlier, I was near Muriwai (trying to find the actual route), distracted by a side road up ahead, then realised I forgot to take the corner. Went into the ditch, probably about 60km/h.

Pic 1 is looking back at the corner. My fault, but corner kinda tightened at end :blink:

Zed
19th November 2005, 22:33
I've gotta say I was bloody impressed that you didn't bin it as well :niceone:I waz comfortably in my groove erik!

MacD
19th November 2005, 23:49

Must be the Turkeys... ;)

Magua
20th November 2005, 10:19
Sliiiide, 3/4 pants, tshirt and a helmet. I have a spot above my elbow on my right arm where I don't have any freckles from loosing some skin and my right knee is a little discoloured compared to the left.

I played lunchtime sport that day and hadn't bothered to put my gear back on. I'd also spent the afternoon in the sickbay and was advised not to ride home. :nono:

Needless to say I wear gear these days. :rockon:

Zapf
20th November 2005, 10:26
Must be the Turkeys... ;)

they must be playing chicken on the road..

DMNTD
20th November 2005, 10:28
...flip,splat,roll and finish it all off with a delightful head first back slide into a metre deep water table full to the brim with paddock runoff.
Remember to to empty helmet of the above BEFORE taking a breath...very important!:whistle:
Was wearing leather jacket/gloves/boots,a good helmet(now farked) and ummmm...jeans:crybaby:
Minus two chunks of knee meat,chip of the ol' elbow and my ribs gimmie crap every now and again.:wacko:
But hey,I'm alive and learnt my lesson...

juzzer
20th November 2005, 10:56
Funnily enough (not) neither...superman over car bonnet, 10mtrs ov gee i can fly....then lamp post....:doh:

avgas
20th November 2005, 11:00
You also forgot "Plummet" as thats what i did on one of mine, off the road, throught a fence, off a bank (about 5 feet) and 'plummeted' into the paddock below. Thank goodness it occured then, as i was about to do the Kopu - and i wouldnt have walked away from those 'plummets'.

Unit
20th November 2005, 11:15
Slides mostly, but one decent dump, not even a tumble really. Just flew up in the air next thing found myself looking skywards rested in the centre of a large gorse bush. Buggard to this day how I got there, but I came out completely unharmed. Full leather overalls on all occasions. Never seriously hurt but learnt some valuable lessions.:blank:

Racey Rider
20th November 2005, 11:35
If you tumble youre fucked. I always slide

Lets just all chuck out grand generalizations shall we?! :slap:

I've had two 'offs' at the track on the 150.
Both run offs onto the grass, then lost the front end.
Both turned into tumbles, with arms pulled into chest. Full leathers with armor.
Funny to watch I'm sure,, but when finished, I walked away fine. Was far from "f*****".

Motu
20th November 2005, 11:46
You guys are talking about tumbles when you get off the seal and onto dirt - yes,that's what happens....although on the dirt track I always slid,but it was hard pack,and often had loose on top.Off road you tumble,down hills are worse,you just can't stop.

Funniest one was when my mate lept off his bike on a very steep hill - and was doing huge 10ft strides,no way to stop...and ran full tilt into a blackberry bush! He got a fair way in too.

Ms Piggy
20th November 2005, 16:47
Both offs I've had I've ended up sliding down the road...

Both times I've been wearing full protective gear i.e. helmet, gloves, jacket with armour, trousers with armour, boots.

thehollowmen
20th November 2005, 16:54
speaking on a differnent level.. you're less likely to rembmer a bouncer than a slider due to concussion...

Jackrat
20th November 2005, 17:07
Bounce,roll,tumble, slide,hit large hard objects an just stop.
Only time I hurt myself was when the bike landed on me.
Wear what ever I damn well feel like and the only time I really got hurt I was wearing leather jacket,pants,full face,None of it did bugger all to stop the injurys I got.
Went for a long ride today in jeans, woollen jersy,sleaveless denim jacket and open face,saw a few HD riders,they all waved to me,saw a few squids in toothpaste suits,Gave them the finger.
All in all a good day out.:motu:

SuperDave
20th November 2005, 21:37
I've binned twice and both times I was wearing jeans with cordura/leather jacket. Both times I've ended up doing a tumble/roll kinda thing until I came to a stop lying on my side. I distinctively remember trying to standup right after coming off the bike which is probably where the tumbling effect begins. Bear in mind my bins have been at relatively low speed - 45kph and 60kph.

avgas
20th November 2005, 21:52
Funniest one was when my mate lept off his bike on a very steep hill - and was doing huge 10ft strides,no way to stop...and ran full tilt into a blackberry bush! He got a fair way in too.
Funny you should mention that, reminded me of the big off i had on the 185, booted it all the way up a hill only to find the bike got airbourne at the top, i jumped of the bike into a block of kiwifruit, and the bike flew into the shelterbelt.......where it remained perched....... 6 feet above ground. My mate pissed himself when he saw that happen. Wouldnt help me down (or the bike) for atleast 5 mins. Jerk

R1madness
21st November 2005, 06:20
Ohhh crash talk. I got some good ones for you.
First crash - !6 years old on a CB400/4 (yep that long ago) had a car turn in front of me. Bang. superman over bonnet and tumble past power pole into double garage doors. Broken knee and collar bone. Leather jacket and jeans.

2nd crash, On the track FZR400sp highside on infield sweeper at ruapuna (late 80s) bounce bounce tumble slam..... Broken rib and sprained ankle and knee. Full leathers and race protection.

3rd crash on the track lowsided at levels slide slide all ok pick up bike and carry on. Full leathers and race protection.

4th crash, On the track (see a pattern yet?) ZX7RR at ruapuna off the end of the streight lose front (hit from behind) run off into grass trying to save it dump it hard but foot caught in frame tumble tumble wrench throw bounce flip slam. Broken foot in 3 places several other fractures and sprains as well. Full leathers and all race protection.

5th crash, on track (causing retirement) At ruapuna exiting the infield sweeper sliding sliding opps overdo it into a massive highside flung 15feet in the air (according to spectators) land on my foot and fracture navicular (actually bust it into 4 bits). Slide into tyre wall and bike follows me in and slams me fracturing 2 vertibra in spine and damage to collar bone, sends me spinning out onto track and just missed by a group of following racers. Thanks for missing me guys hehehe especially the dude who went MXing and dumped it just to miss me.

So what does that say......? hmm nothing...... its not how you slide or tumble but what you hit that does the most harm....... from my experiance anyway......

Lou Girardin
21st November 2005, 07:15

[Edit:]Sorry I'll start. My bin last year was a lowside around a sweeping corner, the front slid out and I landed straight on my left shoulder and then purposely flipped myself onto my back protector and slid on my back head first...I thought "sweet", until I twacked into the bank 20 metres across the road and did 2 somersaults landing on my feet more or less, then hurredly attempted to gain breath cos I winded myself badly. Jacket and pants I had on had armour, the left hand shoulder of my jacket was ripped out completely, i'm thankful it was ripped out and not me!!

You left 'scream and call for mummy' off the poll.

Zed
21st November 2005, 08:30
You left 'scream and call for mummy' off the poll.Well come on Lou, tell us what happened then??

White trash
21st November 2005, 08:38
Stepped of a particularly cool Gixxer 1K being a squid on the motorway wearing leather jacket, Levis and trainers.

Did quite a bit of tumbling along the grass verge next to the cheese grater wire median barrier. That was funny. And big ups to my brother Hayden for not running me over.

Also tumbled myself through a farmers fence on St Highway one just south of Tokoroa. Wearing all the "right" gear, ended up in hospital for a few weeks with a couple of nice surgery sessions.

TLRulz
21st November 2005, 15:59
I slid about 100 meters and then I bounced off a powerpole about another 5 meters and down a bank. It didn't hurt much at the time but I was in hospital for a while.:apumpin:

I was wearing jeans and a leather jacket. Not much gravel rash from jeans, only a little on knee. Jacket was good too, it did ride up me a bit and got some gravel rash on my side, but only small.

Bartman10
21st November 2005, 16:04
On the race bike I slid, low side both times.

On the road bike I slid once, and tubled twice. Once with fairly serious consequences.

Read all about it on KB!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=9271

Oscar
21st November 2005, 16:46
Sliding?
Bit of tumbling.
I managed to head butt a pine tree once - out cold fer 10 minutes - no memory of it and a busted C3 for my troubles.

Racing enduro or hare scrambles, the crashes are many and varied, from "ground sky ground sky ground sky....thump!" , to simple loss of traction low sides. I can't recall one that involved sliding though...I did hit an electric fence once, and every time I went to drag the bike away I got a shock.

thealmightytaco
21st November 2005, 17:58
Havent binned the bike yet, but I managed to bin the go-kart when I raced back in the day.

Guy tried to pass me on the inside, only just got his front wheel in front of my back wheel and I had no idea till I'd turned in on him. Next thing I was seein' asphalt then blue then asphalt then blue, ended up lying seated quite comfortably against the bank on the outside of the corner, not a scratch other than a slightly bruised knee. The kart joined me a few seconds later, landed about 5 metres away, it'd gone much higher than I did.

No way to really slide a go-kart, in terms of binning that is.

Macktheknife
21st November 2005, 18:10
I have had a few bins over the years, most recent one was the worst. I have done both sliding and tumbling exits at different speeds and found for clear ground and such the slide works well as you can have some good slow down that way. The tumble does have its uses though and if you know how to do it well it can save you a lot of pain and broken bits, especially on uneven ground or when sliding has failed! It pays to practice on wrestling mats or similar first though.