PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem Thread #947

Cookie
20th November 2005, 21:05
Hi Guys,

I am interested in comments on a starting problem I have.

Pressing the starter gets a click, and maybe a cough, and after a few times pressing the starter and a bit of clicking and coughing it will bounce the pistons around just enough to fire her up. (The headlight goes dim every time I press the starter button too).

The battery shows well over 12 volts when the bike is switched off and about 14 volts or more across the terminals when running.

I attached some jumper leads from a good 12 volt car battery across to the bikes battery today and tried to fire her up. Still getting still this sort of "click-googer...click-googer" kind of behaviour.

I know just enough to be dangerous in the gargre (that is how it is spelt isn't it?) so any comments are welcome.

skidMark
20th November 2005, 21:09
you may have a bad earth somewhere most likely to your engine considering your description

because you have the voltage and it must be charging just no current or possibly...but unlikely your start reley is stuffed

cheers: MA

Cookie
20th November 2005, 21:15
Thanks mate. Time to strip off the covers and go looking for the main earth strap then.

(Hey sorry to hear about your bike getting wrecked too - yep lucky you made the decision to jump off!!!).

skidMark
20th November 2005, 21:18
Thanks mate. Time to strip off the covers and go looking for the main earth strap then.

(Hey sorry to hear about your bike getting wrecked too - yep lucky you made the decision to jump off!!!).

yeah im glad i did too instinct i guess...

tell me how you get on with that mate :yes: :2thumbsup

Artifice
20th November 2005, 22:12
have you thought about checking the plugs? sounds to me like poor spark.

R1madness
21st November 2005, 06:38
Actually it sounds like the battery is poked. A good one should have 13v or more at rest. When you crank it over you need at least 11 v left for spark (more or less). Sounds like the alternator is working fine hence the 14v when running. Yea car batterys do not do a great job of jumping a flat bike (its to do with the batterys trying to get the voltages even between them). Shout it a new battery and all your porblems will disapair

skidMark
21st November 2005, 23:00
Actually it sounds like the battery is poked. A good one should have 13v or more at rest. When you crank it over you need at least 11 v left for spark (more or less). Sounds like the alternator is working fine hence the 14v when running. Yea car batterys do not do a great job of jumping a flat bike (its to do with the batterys trying to get the voltages even between them). Shout it a new battery and all your porblems will disapair

yes but as he says he put a good car battery across it and it still wasnt running the starter well which a sign of poor current flow hence poor earthing generally

R1madness
22nd November 2005, 07:22
yes but as he says he put a good car battery across it and it still wasnt running the starter well which a sign of poor current flow hence poor earthing generally

umm actually tis not generally the case. Usually if the battery has a poked cell (which is generally the case if its reading 12v at standstill) you will find that the internal short circuit is enough to drain the grunt out of a car battery if using jumper leads.
Also it is a known fact that if you put 2 batterys with a different voltage together they try to balance each other by the fully charged one discharging into the poked one. Try putting one new battery into a remote control with a poked one and see what the voltage reads on the new one after 24hours, even with no use i bet its not a new one anymore.
Now if he had disconnected his battery and tried it with only a car battery attatched i would be inclined to agree but thats not what he said.

However a bit of a wire brush on the contact points and a smear of grease is not a bad thing.:rockon:

danb
3rd December 2005, 23:34
Have a look at this site as posted by another member - http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

skidMark
5th December 2005, 19:35
Now if he had disconnected his battery and tried it with only a car battery attatched i would be inclined to agree but thats not what he said.

ahh you see i must of read it wrong :doh:

i thought he had just run a car battery....

yeah the battery should be reading over 13 volts if it's a fully charged battery

and 14.8 volts should be about right for a regulator to put out maximum when engine if revved up

try run a car battery alone ?

DogBreath
5th December 2005, 22:34
Yep dodgy battery is a distinct possibility, and a faulty ground lead would hamper the starter as well, but note the dim light on cranking, maybe time for a recon on the starter itself, do they have brushes like a car starter? If so then replace them, and CAREFULLY clean the commutator. Do the earth lead first, then try starting with the car battery only next. Then look to the starter motor itself. Also check all bearings and bushes in the starter while you're there, when they wear the starter will draw more current too.
Most of these things are gradual and insidious, they sneak up on you and all stack up 'till collectively they becoming an issue.
I have a GN250 which I wired a switch in the headlight circuit so I can flick it off while starting, much easier on the battery.
(I know some smaller bike starters are just reversed alternators, not sure about this bike tho.)

Cookie
6th December 2005, 07:43
Thanks danb. Yeah that is a great site.

DogBreath - thanks for that breakdown of the various things to check.

I have been getting away with it till yesterday when I very nearly had to push-start. I have checked the obvious connections so I am picking up a new battery tommorow. Will report back...

skidMark
8th December 2005, 19:06
so what was it lol

progress report please

danb
8th December 2005, 19:38
Thanks danb. Yeah that is a great site.

DogBreath - thanks for that breakdown of the various things to check.

I have been getting away with it till yesterday when I very nearly had to push-start. I have checked the obvious connections so I am picking up a new battery tommorow. Will report back...

Cheers :msn-wink:

Cookie
9th December 2005, 07:58
Well the new battery has made a slight improvement but I think it is time to take dogbreath's suggestion to look at the starter motor.

The bike had been sitting unused for over 12 months before I got it, so the battery was not a bad investment though. The Honda 250 V-twin motor is common enough so I might be able to fluke a good starter from a wreckers...

Cheers!