PDA

View Full Version : My baby was knocked over today!!!

Slingshot
21st November 2005, 17:07
Hi all,
I arrived back at the Mercer St bike park at around 5pm to find that my bike had been knocked over.
Someone had the decency to stand it up again and I'm thankful for that but now my baby has a bent brake lever and some scratches and the steering isn't straight. I'm very lucky that it didn't cause more damage.

I popped into Mountain Designs and the guy I spoke to said they heard a big bang at around 11:30ish but didn't realise what it was.

For those of you that know the bike park, I was parked at the loading zone end and what I guess has happened is that someone has reversed out of the park and swung their nose into the bike.

If anyone knows anything, saw anything, heard anything, please let me know.

Here are a couple of pics:

flash
21st November 2005, 17:10
what a bugger mate, hope its not too bad. ild hate for my bike to be pushed purposlly or accidently

Wasp
21st November 2005, 17:15
pretty windy today..... looks like what i did when i crashed on saturday except worse damage to a better bike...

Slingshot
21st November 2005, 17:18
pretty windy today..... looks like what i did when i crashed on saturday except worse damage to a better bike...

My first thoughts were that it was blown over, although there's what appears to be paint transfer on one side and on the other there's the bent brake level & scratches.

flash
21st November 2005, 17:20
and its also hard to believe wind could blow over a bike, but you are in wellington to there is a small chance

DingDong
21st November 2005, 17:47
Its not so bad when you bin it yourself... but when someone bins it for you:doh: that just suxs... leave a note on it and park it in the same place... someone conscience may get the better of them (not likely tho)

Have a nice day:yes:

zadok
21st November 2005, 17:51
That's a bummer.

Zed
21st November 2005, 17:51
That sucks Slingshot, I feel your pain! :pinch:

heavenly.talker
21st November 2005, 17:52
Mate...sorry to hear that someone disrespected the bike and then did not have the balls to leave a note!
NOT CUTIE CUTIE

Jonty
21st November 2005, 17:59
hey mate,

Yup I know the park as I sometimes use that in the weekends. There is a loading zone right beside it and those curtainsiders are fairly rough when driving in and out of there. Still, today was really windy and it wouldn't surprise me if another bike got blown into yours and was taken away. Celtic's bike got blown over there a few month ago from memory.

Good luck with repairs!!

madboy
21st November 2005, 18:13
ouch :thud:

Macktheknife
21st November 2005, 18:21
BUMMER man, I hope you get it fixed up and pretty again soon. bling

TLDV8
21st November 2005, 18:33
Sorry to hear that!!!...any security camera's that might have seen it ?

Dafe
21st November 2005, 18:37
Sorry to hear dude, Especially with a decent bike!

Is it possible that another bike fell into yours? Did you park beside a white bike in the morning?

onearmedbandit
21st November 2005, 18:37
Damn that sucks.

SPman
21st November 2005, 19:03
That's a bummer.
Or a bumper! :thud:

Ms Piggy
21st November 2005, 19:11
Mate! That sucks! :thud: I can guarantee ya it would have been the wind. I've actually seen my bike blow over on a really blustery day when I've parked there (I can see that park from where I sit at work), it can be a real wind tunnel and the bikes park up pretty snug there too.

Both times (yes it's happened twice!) someone has very kindly picked it up for me.

Slingshot
21st November 2005, 20:16
Thanks for all of your sympthy, although it was windy today I'm fairly confident that it wasn't blown over. For starters, this morning I parked it on an angle (instead of straight) to have the bike lean a little more on the stand to combat the wind.

But the really telling sign is the white scuff marks on the left hand side of the bike (the drop damage was on the right side). I've attached a diagram to explain what I mean. If there was a car parked close enough and they weren't watching the front of the car when they were reversing the nose could quite easily have swung into the bike and knocked it over.

I'm going to post a sign there tomorrow to see if I can get information.

skelstar
21st November 2005, 20:27
Sorry to hear about the ding mate.

S&S
22nd November 2005, 14:07
Stink mate... im sure karma will catch up with the prick for not leaving a note.

Similar thing happen to me a few years ago, I guy was trying to parallel park, didn't see my bike behind him, knocked it over & continued to squash it against a lamp post! Once I got back to the bike, 3 people ran up to me saying they had detained this guy that squashed my bike, who had tryed to do a runner once he realised what that lump was behind his van :chase:
What a interesting conversation that was with him :nono:

Sniper
22nd November 2005, 14:12
Bugger mate. Hope you get it looking new again.

Str8 Jacket
22nd November 2005, 14:14
Sorry to hear about your baby Slingshot. I didn't ride my bike in yesterday which was just as well as all the bikes in the park up the road from work were blown over there was quite a bit of damage done all up. Another guy that I work with said that there was another bike park up by the library somewhere where a similar thing happened. Though yours does sound more like sabotage, which sux!

stunz
22nd November 2005, 14:23
If anyone knows anything, saw anything, heard anything, please let me know.I reckon it was the wind Slingshot. Four or five bikes went arse over here on the Terrace yesterday...:crybaby:
A couple of scooters, :2thumbsup (teach them for bumping my mirrors askew all the time :angry: ) a shiny naked, and one or two fairings? Note: All these bikes were at the Southern end of the bike-rank. The front one obviously caught the gust, and the domino effect took care of the rest.
Thankfully, though it has happened before, mine wasnt one of them...this time:banana:

magicfairy
22nd November 2005, 15:15
Sorry to hear about your baby Slingshot. I didn't ride my bike in yesterday which was just as well as all the bikes in the park up the road from work were blown over there was quite a bit of damage done all up. Another guy that I work with said that there was another bike park up by the library somewhere where a similar thing happened. Though yours does sound more like sabotage, which sux!

I park in Hunter St bike park, the one closest to Queens Wharf (there are two bike parks) Doesn't seem to get as much wind as the more exposed parks, I have never seen any of the bikes there blown over, even yesterday. But you have to be in quick to get a park in the morning.