PDA

View Full Version : Frosty Race report Pukie 20.11.05

FROSTY
21st November 2005, 18:10
Well After last weeks total disaster I was bloody determined not to repeat the fiasco.
Doogal, Madduck and I discussed in pretty fine detail just where and how I stuffed up.Not to be negative but to make sure I dont repeat the same mistake.
Doogal had a bit of a mechanical issue with Mella Yella that kept us busy on friday evening but all good and sorted :2thumbsup
Arriving at the track early we decided to pit right by the pit entry.
Best view of the track and nice and peacefull.
The game plan for me is to really tone down -calm down and treat the day almost as a track day.I seem to go at my best when I'm really relaxed.
-Anyone that saw me mighta noticed a more subdued than normal Frosty
I was relaxed to the point i was almost falling asleep.
The competition was pretty hot this meeting with terry fitgerald,and a couple of other national level racers there-as well as ol TS riding the frigging wheels of that ol POS kwakka of his.
Fireing up the bike for the four lap "beginners" session I was able to get a feel for the sorta setup front end-and bed the brakes in a bit. The bike at the 1.16-18' lap pace felt pretty good.
AMCC rules means your grid position is determinned by your fastest lap in practice so I was pretty keen to set a good practice time.
I hung back a bit and let the newer riders get ahead then started to wind the wick up. I knew I had 9 laps to lay down a scorcher.
I gently eased up the pace till Me and Stew Dawe (kwakka zxr no 32) were cirulating together at a comfortable pace -then I thought --nahh Im outa here -and would it right on up till I was at a faster pace but still totally relaxed and comfortable. The front end was stuggling around the hairpin but Im used to jelly wobble front ends so it diddnt worry me.
Well blow me down--I qualified in 3rd spot and had an official 1.10 lap as well --normally Ida been whooping me head off--But instead I just grinned a bit (just a bit) Ts qualified fastest with a 1.08
First race and -Hmm different starter--I honestly feel I got a bloody blinder of a start staying right on the tail of the lead SV650 right into Jennian and around castrol.
Short lived it was as he just dissapeared away down the back straight.
I then got passed by two Ducati 900's (yes fucking 900s-lets not go there)
They both braked early for the hairpin and I thought--Yep thank you I'll have that -Going inside em and ready to block their exit to the hairpin.
Then That cheeky lil shit Two Smoke goes INSIDE me -and frigging made it stick -Stu dawe followed him but overcooked it and went straight ahead at the hairpin. -FUC FUCK --thats me less than a lap down in 5th--NOOOOOO
There is no way a bloody Duck was gonna beat me.
But I was wrong. Lap after lap the two ducks would pull away from me down the back straight. Id out brake em into the hairpin then theyed pull 1-2 bike lenths exiting the hairpin--Right up to the hill and ovver it i'd reel em in to the point of the pass. Then Bang all that 900cc V twin power would have em pull away like Im standing still. Into Jennian it felt like they had jammed on the brakes the speed difference was that great -Id come scrreaming up behind em again --forced to brake into the flip flop. Id dive up the inside into Castrol and wind up the Sv to 9 grand--only to have the ducks pull away steadilly down the back straight.This was repeated right last lap when i tried a do or die move under brakes--um -it was definitely Die --this time as the front sledged away on me and I had to let em through. Finishing in 5th place and half a second behind the ducks.
Looking at the official timing and finishing positions I pulled a personal best lap time of 1.09.10 so I was pretty happy with that.
I did get to be a rather unwilling witness to TS's very close call -He Im sure will talk about that.
In between races I was getting suspension setup advice from the guys in the Fitzgerald pits.We adjusted a shit load of suspension settings --a word to the wise--If it aint broke dont fix it.
Second race and I got another great start --I was thinking wooohoo Im in the lead--lasted halfway round Jennian as TS snuck under me and the thundering ducks flew by outside me. Worse to come as stew and DOOGAL flew by me through into Castrol. "WAKE UP FROSTY" I bellowed inside my shoei
I reeled Doogal in pretty easily then settled in to catch and pass Stew.
Into The hairpin and hard on the brakes-- I was then thinking "NO NO NO" -what the heck is happening?? as the bike bucked and twitched under me.
Not a nice way to find out that the supsension settings were heaps worse and the bike handled like a dray.
I decided the best I could do was hang on to stew and hope he made a mistake.I put as much pressure on him as I could but he was pulling 4 bike lengths out of the hairpin every lap -I'd reel him back in over the hill and a bit through the flip flop but not enough to pose a real threat.
The guy on the Nz no 2 bike flew past out of castrol and gave stew a bit of a scare. Thats the way I finished my race.6th place but happy
Turns out I was still doing solid 10.9-1.10's every lap so I can't complain.
What a bloody fantastic days racing.
I had a blast
Lots of setup work on the suspension of the bike is definitely in order and work on staying calm under pressure for me.
Thanks to Madduck our loyal pitcrew.She just takes the pressure off and gets my lap times so i have a clue how fast Im going.
It was bloody fantastic seeing so many Kbers out there racing.
KK,Hoon,TS,KK, MRQuazi and co to name just a few
I felt for KK with his bike issues--Im sure he'll fill ya in on all that.
But the star of the day is a little mentioned KBer-- Motobob --
First meeting--For that matter first race ever and that nutter went and pulled a 1.09 outa the hat---ONYA MATE :thud: :thud:
Ohh and if ya get a text from an unknown cellphone--or someone yells out to ya
One ohh nine mudda fucka
That'll be me

Two Smoker
21st November 2005, 19:04
Awesome stuff Frosty, and well done on the 1:09's :niceone:

cowpoos
21st November 2005, 19:38
good stuff frosty....how are those ducatis alowed in f3? they wouldn't let me in with a TL1000s would they ???

FROSTY
21st November 2005, 19:45
Mr poos sir--lets just leave that one alone--definitely a VERY sore point with me

Kwaka-Kid
21st November 2005, 20:10
good report dude! Sorry to hear about the Duc's, i didnt even know i was so far behind.

cowpoos
21st November 2005, 20:17
okay...won't talk about the duc's then...just out of interest....I'm going to be upgrading my bike soon...and keeping the TLs because its like a best friend....is there a class I would be able to race it in if I spent some $$$ [race fairings,good tyres,etc] and removed all the sundry bits and bobs....

TwoSeven
21st November 2005, 20:18
I enjoyed the writeup. Sounds like you had a bit of visualising going early then lost it a bit later. From an old dispatch point of view, it used to be called a 'blinder', but once its gone, bitch to get it back.

motobob
21st November 2005, 20:31
So Frosty if those dukes are legal I'll have to get one of those new Paul Smart replica ones and join you in F3 (yeah then I can wave at you down the back straight as I cruise past :bash: ). Gotta go, gotta see Chris at Haldanes about placing my order.

Racey Rider
21st November 2005, 20:35
Well done Frosty.
Glad to hear your keeping those young ones honest!

FROSTY
21st November 2005, 20:46
okay...won't talk about the duc's then...just out of interest....I'm going to be upgrading my bike soon...and keeping the TLs because its like a best friend....is there a class I would be able to race it in if I spent some $$$ [race fairings,good tyres,etc] and removed all the sundry bits and bobs....
My honest opinion-Not really --You could go out in clubmans but except to get a taste of racing you really wont learn a lot.
Id suggest a 250 stroker or a 400 4 stroke

cowpoos
21st November 2005, 21:00
I'll come have a chat with you if u don't mind that is...on the 18th of dec at the trackday?

motobob
21st November 2005, 21:17
First meeting--For that matter first race ever and that nutter went and pulled a 1.09 outa the hat---ONYA MATE :thud: :thud:
Ohh and if ya get a text from an unknown cellphone--or someone yells out to ya
One ohh nine mudda fucka
That'll be me

Cool huh. Got it down to low 1:08's before I left. Still a long way to a 0.59 that i saw a 600 do yesterday (guy must have had eyesight problems and missed all his braking markers) Was hoping to get in the sevens which would still only get me bringing up the rear in F2. Those tows you gave me at the test days certainly helped.

Anyway Frosty you had a good meeting, just a bit hard laying consistent laps when you have different bike types and riders round you aye. Ole TS isn't that far away now is he.

Oh yeah glad to see you got my handle right. I thought you was getting senile on me.