PDA

View Full Version : TS Race Report AMCC Round 2 20/11/05

Two Smoker
21st November 2005, 18:56
Hey everyone,

Was an awesome day for racing with lots of sun with the odd bit of cloud. I was expecting some fast guys to turn up in all the classes, and this was proved when MR and I pitted next to Andrew Stroud and Ray Clee.

Went out in the first practice, with new brake pads and a oil change (makes the motor feel so much stonger)... Brakes were now phenominal, i was braking at the 120 metre mark and it felt like i had almost stopped at the hairpin... Everything was feeling good (including myself) and was stoked to see that i had qualified in Pole position with a new personal best time of 1:07.92 just infront of Jason Nairn (who was, luckily for me, running in a new engine)!!!

Just before race one, my rear tyre warmer stopped working :(

Race 1: Now most of you know my starts suck, so that was the most important part of my race. Flag dropped
and i was off, it wasnt too bad, but i still had about 5 bikes pass me. I managed to go around most of them at Castrol, then got Frosty and the two Ducati 900's at the hairpin. THEN IT HAPPENED!!! My biggest tankslapper I have ever had!!! Entering turn one in 5th gear at redline (a bit over 200kmh) i went a bit wide (about 2 metres off the inside ripple strip) and at the exit of turn one is a bump, i hit this bump, which threw the bike into a tankslapper, the bike shot upright, and the bars were going from lock to lock with the front tyre making a rubber burning squeal at each lock point. I kept the throttle open and the tank slapper stopped. I then went to apply my brakes, with the result of getting a handfull of nothing. I frantically pumped my brakes, braked hard for the esses and chucked it into the corner.... I MADE IT!!! PHEW!!! The rest of the race i backed it off a little into turn one. My times showed this with a drop to 1:08.15...

Before race 2 my front tyre warmer stopped working, (bugger, no tyre warmers)

Race 2: I was determined to get this start right!!! AND I DID!!! WOOHOO!!! I had the fornt hovering about 5 cm above the ground, and holding my position, with Frosty just pulling infront with his SV's torque, then WWOOOOOSSSSSHHHHH, two Ducati 900's go flying past... Right its on!!! I chased the 2 ducatis and frosty down the back straight. I got frosty under brakes into the hairpin and was chasing the Ducatis, MAN THEY ARE FAST!!! Qucikly pulling away on the front straight only for me to close the gap so im right on the tail of number 2 ducati. Went around the outside of him after the hairpin, then got towed down the front straight by the first ducati (even managed to hook 6th gear and get 13000rpm on the front straight!!! Way faster than i have ever gone before along there). I went around that Ducati in turn 1 and out braked him into the esses. I then finished in first place!!! With Jason Nairn 3 seconds behind me in 2nd place (due to him having to start from the dummy grid). I felt alot smoother in that race, but was still taking it easy through turn 1. My times got down to a 1:08.01...

Had a great day, cheers for all the support, especially Chloe, Bugjuice, MR and WT as well as all the racers that gave me some tips and a hand :niceone:

Great too meet you Shaun, and it was awesome seeing Jason like a little kid after riding the K5 100 in practice...

Highlight of the day other than racing, was watching Ray Clee and Andrew Stroud battling it out!!! Both were doing consistent 58.2's with Ray winning both races...

Things to do before Nationals: Get new tyre warmers, get a steering damper, and get faster :niceone:

See you guys out there :niceone:

HDTboy
21st November 2005, 19:08
You did bloody well mate. I was impressed

Quasievil
21st November 2005, 19:19
Nice one Chris, if only I was a rich man mate and you would be on the weapon of your choice !:yes:

Racey Rider
21st November 2005, 19:23
Well done.
Keep up the good work 'Smoke' :2thumbsup

Riff Raff
21st November 2005, 19:43
I was working, but managed to sneak down to the track and watch the F3 practice. Was working with a guy who had never seen motorbike racing. With each lap he got more excited and commented on the widening gap between you and the other riders. For the rest of my shift I was asked many questions about motorbike racing. Not only is he thinking about getting a motorbike now, but he also wants to watch more racing. Don't you feel good knowing you have inspired someone.

Kwaka-Kid
21st November 2005, 20:04
wicked dude! top effort it was awesome to see. Keep it all up.

Sketchy_Racer
21st November 2005, 20:07
i dont know much but do you think that you may have got the tank slapper because the two tires were different temperatures?? i dont much just wondring how much of a difference the tyre temp makes :)

cheers, Glenn

White trash
21st November 2005, 21:12
Chris. When the hell are you going to pull your finger outta your arse and start riding that thing quickly. Think I'm going to take my sponsorship money and give it to Stevie Wonder if you dont start cranking.

NodMan
21st November 2005, 21:26
you smoked em well yesterday dude...even without those tyre warmers, I was greatly impressed...great to see so many KBers playing in the right place

FROSTY
21st November 2005, 21:29
bloody good riding there my man--Um but about the little dance just in front of me in turn 1--Um maybee not hu???
Scared me seeing it -bee it from 50-100yards behind ya

sAsLEX
21st November 2005, 22:44
bloody good riding there my man--Um but about the little dance just in front of me in turn 1--Um maybee not hu???
Scared me seeing it -bee it from 50-100yards behind ya

makes up for last weekend when you tried a similar thing in front of him?!?

any way chris sounds like you did really well, that 600 must be looking more and more tempting by the day!

babyB
21st November 2005, 22:57
way to go TS. cool race rightup. good to hear u haveing a premo time out there:2thumbsup

Riff Raff
22nd November 2005, 08:39
Who was that?
Junior. 10characteretc.

Two Smoker
22nd November 2005, 17:55
Cheers everyone for the comments :niceone: The 600 is still looking mighty tempting, but that will come towards the end of the year :niceone:

Tyre temperature wasnt the problem, as i was already at full race pace straight away in lap one, i really need to set the suspension up properly and get a steering damper to go quicker...

FROSTY
22nd November 2005, 19:24
Chris i gotta say--forget the damper--For now
Ya need to talk to the guys racing ZXR's and find the hot setup.
Brownie will be able to help or Tjebbie Bruen

gpercivl
23rd November 2005, 09:25
And you won't have to worry about the 900's at the Nationals...don't know how they sneaked in there

FROSTY
23rd November 2005, 09:29
chris-frigging costello thats how
same reason we only got two races instead of three or four
Split the frigging classes indeed

svs
23rd November 2005, 12:49
way to go chris. Now I've got at least 2 people (you and frosty) to follow in the nationals :)

Does anyone have the full results from this round anywhere?

gpercivl
23rd November 2005, 13:26
Does anyone have the full results from this round anywhere?

I've got round one results but they need tidying up before I put them on the web site, hopefully I'll get round 2 pretty soon too