PDA

View Full Version : CBTA Scheme Ending

Dafe
21st November 2005, 18:59
FYI - Just heard that the LTSA's trial for the CBTA is coming to a closure with the final Wellington course held on the 12th December 05.
The LTSA is satisfied they now have enough statistics to meet their requirements. This news comes from Andrew Templeton who runs Wellington's courses.
Unsure whats happening in other centres but I'd imagine it's the same.

So if you need to fast track, get onto it now!

Leong
21st November 2005, 19:12
Passrite in Auckland have advertised CBTA Full courses for 21 Jan, 25 Feb and 25 Mar. I'm booked in for Jan... (fingers crossed)

madboy
21st November 2005, 19:22
Bugger. Coming from the same prats who think 111k makes you a murderer lying in wait, it was rare to see such a proactive and quality training program on offer. I hope the stats justify it being continued, and then I hope the LTSA has the common sense to continue with it.

Zapf
21st November 2005, 19:31
Passrite in Auckland have advertised CBTA Full courses for 21 Jan, 25 Feb and 25 Mar. I'm booked in for Jan... (fingers crossed)

have been told that all pass rite cares is about the dollar... so be warned.

heavenly.talker
21st November 2005, 19:37
It would be interesting to see that rate of bins per CBTA courses compared to those who have done the time system!

As for pass rite and money...you got to make hay while the sun shines. I imagine this has been a great money spinner for them...however, commerical licencing pays more than motorbikes and the market has stability and long-term demand!

SlowHand
21st November 2005, 19:46
time system? you mean the real oldies that got their licenses in a few days?

limbimtimwim
21st November 2005, 19:47
FYI - Just heard that the LTSA's trial for the CBTA is coming to a closure with the final Wellington course held on the 12th December 05.
The LTSA is satisfied they now have enough statistics to meet their requirements. This news comes from Andrew Templeton who runs Wellington's courses.Unsure whats happening in other centres but I'd imagine it's the same.
So if you need to fast track, get onto it now!OH FUCK.

My 250 is on trademe because I was lining up a RVF400 ..

Fuck fuck fuck.

Fuck.

justsomeguy
21st November 2005, 19:49

Really??:banana:

heavenly.talker
21st November 2005, 19:50
Man do those bikers still exist?
I thought people from that time period all rode without a licence?:spudbn:

SPman
21st November 2005, 19:59
Hey - Id been riding for a 2 weeks with no license before I got my full! :whistle:

skelstar
21st November 2005, 20:20
Dammit. Was going to pull the bureaucratic shifty in Jan. Might have to fighter my Hyobag instead.

Finn
21st November 2005, 20:29
It would be interesting to see that rate of bins per CBTA courses compared to those who have done the time system!

As for pass rite and money...you got to make hay while the sun shines. I imagine this has been a great money spinner for them...however, commerical licencing pays more than motorbikes and the market has stqability and long-term demand!

Having recently taken the CBTA course from learners to full I can say that there would be no difference in bins. On the one side you've got people who have been riding for years without a license and get their license for legal reasons only. Fine. On the other hand you've got first time bikers who can't wait to jump on a litre bike and get their license in 2 - 3 months. The total course is 14 hours so I don't think you'll go from a cage driver to Rossi in this time. Nothing beats time on the saddle!

I really think the course is a formality. One guy couldn't even do a u-turn without putting his foot down or hitting the curb. He passed. Another really struggled with changing gears - not kidding. Yip another pass.

Zapf
21st November 2005, 22:47
I really think the course is a formality. One guy couldn't even do a u-turn without putting his foot down or hitting the curb. He passed. Another really struggled with changing gears - not kidding. Yip another pass.

Well... if CBTA actually taught riding and not BS... I learnt more at BRONZ course than the 2 CBTA added togeather.

Mr Skid
21st November 2005, 22:59
I really think the course is a formality. One guy couldn't even do a u-turn without putting his foot down or hitting the curb. He passed. Another really struggled with changing gears - not kidding. Yip another pass.On my course one gent caused a three bike crash at the lights. Yip another pass.

Leong
22nd November 2005, 05:36
Well... if CBTA actually taught riding and not BS... I learnt more at BRONZ course than the 2 CBTA added togeather.

Agreed.. (though I've only done the restricted course so far, other threads have said that the "full" course was less learning and more riding.. 6hr course including a 100km ride ).

My point... the BRONZ course was very good. Good instructors with no agenda other than to help fellow bikers, and excellent location

Sniper
22nd November 2005, 06:48
Bugger, I was hoping to put MissSniper through a CBTA course

FlyingDutchMan
22nd November 2005, 07:43
The LTSA is satisfied they now have enough statistics to meet their requirements. This news comes from Andrew Templeton who runs Wellington's courses.
Unsure whats happening in other centres but I'd imagine it's the same.

So if you need to fast track, get onto it now!

I heard the same thing at the Mad Magpie rally from the guy who runs courses for it - in Timaru I think.

snuffles
22nd November 2005, 07:52
Did the whole thing in 3 months, not the best way to learn, but did come out with some new ideas about staying upright.

I at least had the experience of riding dirt bikes b4....... but some people doing the course had problems going faster than 20km, god help us all when they get on the road

thehollowmen
22nd November 2005, 07:53
:-(

That's sad.
Do you think that the people who did the CBTA were well enough behaved on the road to give them 'good' data and make it a perminant thing?

heavenly.talker
22nd November 2005, 07:53
:-(

That's sad.
Do you think that the people who did the CBTA were well enough behaved on the road to give them 'good' data and make it a perminant thing?

Very good question!!!

poorbastard
22nd November 2005, 10:05
Bloody course I couldn't do it anyway. Only another 10 months

MrMelon
22nd November 2005, 10:38
I'm sure it'll be back.

Str8 Jacket
22nd November 2005, 10:50
I'm sure it'll be back.

I hope so! Im finally able to go for my restricted but cant afford to do it till next year, damn xmas! :crybaby:
I do remember Andrew Templeton saying (when I sat my learners) that they were going to be "reviewing" the system but he said that anyone booked in for a certain date would still be able to complete the CBTA even if it was cancelled/stopped....

chris
22nd November 2005, 10:55
One guy couldn't even do a u-turn without putting his foot down or hitting the curb.
That's interesting as I know someone who took a CBTA course and watched as another participant was pulled out and sent home for the same thing.

madboy
22nd November 2005, 11:44
Do you think that the people who did the CBTA were well enough behaved on the road to give them 'good' data and make it a perminant thing?Well I don't know if I was well enough behaved, but I was never caught doing anything bad on the bike :devil2:

Yokai
22nd November 2005, 12:01
According to Passrite Penrose (who I just got off the phone with):

1 - you have to have a NZ drivers licence for 2 years (stuff that you have 4 different driving licences from different countries including UK, US and France singe you were 17)

2 - "If you don't get your enrolment forms in before december 10th you won't be allowed on the courses" ... now they are still offering the january course... so that would make it enrolment rather than completion by the 10th of december.

If you fulfill their requirements then you should be able to make it onto the course in January provided you get your enrolment in before 10/12... I'd say go for it. (I can't... wrong type of licence)

Anyways... Good Luck, and check with them first!

skelstar
22nd November 2005, 13:21
Talked to Andrew and Roadsafe (WGTN) and he says that you have to have your application in for a course by dec 10. I would have to do two courses to get my full but thats not going to happen as youre not allowed to anticipate the graduation from the restrict course. Bugger...gonna have to learn to love my bike for a lot longer now :).

rfc85
22nd November 2005, 17:47
i'm on the full one tomorrow-thank fu#k for that, i am a happy camper-jus got to pass now !!!!!!

Leong
22nd November 2005, 19:04
According to Passrite Penrose (who I just got off the phone with):

1 - you have to have a NZ drivers licence for 2 years (stuff that you have 4 different driving licences from different countries including UK, US and France singe you were 17)

2 - "If you don't get your enrolment forms in before december 10th you won't be allowed on the courses" ... now they are still offering the january course... so that would make it enrolment rather than completion by the 10th of december.

If you fulfill their requirements then you should be able to make it onto the course in January provided you get your enrolment in before 10/12... I'd say go for it. (I can't... wrong type of licence)

Anyways... Good Luck, and check with them first!

Thanks Yokai....didn't get a chance to ring them myself today.

oldrider
22nd November 2005, 21:20
Whadya mean!! wash your mouth out. heavenly.talker squaw, speak with false teeth! :Pokey: make oldrider very sad.

SlashWylde
22nd November 2005, 22:14

I counter that. I did my restricted and full CBTA course with Passrite in Penrose. The instructors were great, the course was well structured and I learned a lot.

pzkpfw
23rd November 2005, 08:16
Darn darn darn.

After reading the OP I made an enquiry (Roadsafe, Wellington): here are the relevant bits:

...as of 17 November 2005, Land Transport suspended the CBTA trial programme.

Approvals must be lodged with Land Transport by 10 December 2005,

all courses must be completed by 31 January 2006,

and your license applied for by 10 February 2006.

Exemptions for over 250cc motorcycles will not be accepted unless ... registered ownership ... for a period of more than 6 months ...

...Land Transport are currently taking 2 - 3 weeks to process approvals.

Cheers,

heavenly.talker
23rd November 2005, 08:37
Whadya mean!! wash your mouth out. heavenly.talker squaw, speak with false teeth! :Pokey: make oldrider very sad.

Okay...
give me a second....
just pass me your teeth....

Okay here goes...
Very sorry to made you sad oldrider...:yes: :yes:

Mouth is now being washed out...
...opps I think I just swallowed one of your teeth :blink:

(and yes...good girls do do what they are told WINJA)

...ahhhh nothing like the first real coffee of the morning :2thumbsup

Big Dave
23rd November 2005, 10:06

Days?!?! - minutes!

heavenly.talker
24th November 2005, 15:49
Days?!?! - minutes!
I didn't know the old guys could last days?:lol: :lol:

SARGE
28th November 2005, 13:18
UPDATE: CBTA
just got a letter from Fred @ Passrite.

" it is with regret to inform you that LTNZ has suspended the CBTA trial.

*snip*

the last date for application forms at this stage is 10 December 2005.

*snip*

we understand that a review for the continuance of the scheme will be held early in the new year"

SlowHand
28th November 2005, 14:15
I'm rushing off my forms as I type - "we understand that a review for the continuance of the scheme will be held early in the new year"

hmm - is this some marketing ploy to get ppl to sign up now?

limbimtimwim
6th December 2005, 19:44
I'm rushing off my forms as I type - "we understand that a review for the continuance of the scheme will be held early in the new year"I put my form in on about the 22nd of Nov, got my letter back middle of last week, so I am sorted. Booked in on the 21st of dec.. Phew!!

skelstar
6th December 2005, 19:46
I put my form in on about the 22nd of Nov, got my letter back middle of last week, so I am sorted. Booked in on the 21st of dec.. Phew!!
Cant stand show-offs. You get what you wanted for your bike Si?

Bulldog
6th December 2005, 23:13
I'm in the last course in albany which is the 21st of Jan :) I applied several weeks ago although I am yet to receive my acceptance yet. The Passrite lady said I just made the cut though when I talked to her and luckily....I don't have any speeding tickets.....yet.

:wait:

Cookie
8th December 2005, 14:55
I'll be at the Passrite Learners-to-Restricted course on Sat 10th of Dec.

Any other KB Members going to be there?

Black
8th December 2005, 16:56
I'll be at the Passrite Learners-to-Restricted course on Sat 10th of Dec.

Any other KB Members going to be there?

Yessir, I'm gonna be there on the 10th :cool: ... I just hope my bike will make it!
It hasn't been running very well but I think it'll be alright. :p

I asked PassRight about the 10th December deadline and whether I would be able to apply for the Restricted-Full on the same day (assuming I pass) but nobody seemed to know. :mad:

I'll be asking them on the day cause I really want to get my full as early as possible.

See you on Saturday.

Kevin

Zapf
8th December 2005, 19:10
I counter that. I did my restricted and full CBTA course with Passrite in Penrose. The instructors were great, the course was well structured and I learned a lot.

Each to their own I suppose :) but have you done the Ride right Ride safe course? its even better

Cookie
9th December 2005, 07:38
Yessir, I'm gonna be there on the 10th :cool: ... I just hope my bike will make it!

I asked PassRight about the 10th December deadline and whether I would be able to apply for the Restricted-Full on the same day (assuming I pass) but nobody seemed to know. :mad:

I'll be asking them on the day cause I really want to get my full as early as possible.

See you on Saturday.

Kevin

Great! I have aged a bit since my Avatar photo was taken, but you can recognise me by my bike (now without sissy bar and Givi screen ).

I'm over 25 so I plan to do the Defensive driving course and sit out the three months for the full. I am just confident enough to be really dangerous now. :slap:

See you at the course.

Bulldog
9th December 2005, 10:20
I wonder if I should turn up on my VTR1000 :yes:

Just kidding, I'll be borrowing a 250 from Cyclespot bless their little cotton socks :rockon:

skelstar
9th December 2005, 10:33
Mis-information had me thinking that despite my graduating to a restricted licence in Jan, I would be riding my bike I have now for another 9months after that. Bugger that for a joke, I have done 11000kms since July!

So in desperation I had another read of the LTSA site this morning only to discover that the restricted licence period (for an old bugger - 25yrs+) is only 6 months. Woo hoo I thought. I read on to findout you can do an 'approved advanced driving course' to shorten the R-licence period to 3months. THe approved courses seem to be non-vehicle specific ie a defencive driving course that car users would do.

Im going shopping 18 March 2006. Giggidy giggidy giggidy!

Jonty
9th December 2005, 10:37
Mis-information had me thinking that despite my graduating to a restricted licence in Jan, I would be riding my bike I have now for another 9months after that. Bugger that for a joke, I have done 11000kms since July!

So in desperation I had another read of the LTSA site this morning only to discover that the restricted licence period (for an old bugger - 25yrs+) is only 6 months. Woo hoo I thought. I read on to findout you can do an 'approved advanced driving course' to shorten the R-licence period to 3months. THe approved courses seem to be non-vehicle specific ie a defencive driving course that car users would do.

Im going shopping 18 March 2006. Giggidy giggidy giggidy!

Good stuff - does this mean you wont be desecrating the comet? BTW good "current favourite" although I would prefer you to by a 675 just so can have a go:2thumbsup

skelstar
9th December 2005, 10:39
Good stuff - does this mean you wont be desecrating the comet? BTW good "current favourite" although I would prefer you to by a 675 just so can have a go:2thumbsup
Yeah, gonna hold back and maybe dese...f*ck up a Hornet or something instead :).
650 would be cheaper....much cheaper...

Cookie
10th December 2005, 18:21

[snip]

Well it was my bike that needed the push-start twice - many thanks for helping out there Black! :o Bling duly awarded.

Had to laugh about the 250cc exemptions. A guy there had a Harley Road King! Sweet.

Personally I thought the course was good in terms of making sure everyone was up to a minimum level of competance. Yes, they repeated the basics but it's forgetting (or not knowing) the basics that will get you in trouble - so I am glad I did it.

iwilde
10th December 2005, 19:41
It sure was a good day! It's a shame they're shutting the cbta system down. A lot of younger riders coming through would benifit from a coarse like this. How about the guy that got lost on the motorway? LOL

Black
10th December 2005, 22:13
Yep, it was a good day today - but HOT, bejeezes it was hot!

I enjoyed the course, taught me some stuff I didn't know and reenforced the stuff that was rusty.

Everybody seemed pretty competent and passed which was cool.
I was also one of the lucky ones that was allowed to apply for the restricted-full course in Jan. :woohoo:

If anybody from passright is watching, good on ya guys! :2thumbsup It was a cool day.

Can't wait to get my restricted and rip that Yellow Bulls-eye from my bike!

:banana: :wari: :banana: :wari: :banana: :wari: