PDA

View Full Version : Responsibility

Huntaway
21st November 2005, 21:21
Driving home through Rangiora in the southerley rain this evening, wet bitumen shining in the road, and came up beside a kid on a Pizza Hut delivery bike, hunched up against the weather, white knuckles gripping the bars...

Yeah, thats right, no gloves! It bothered me, so I drove round to the local outlet and, professing to be an "experienced motorcyclist" expressed my concern to the manager. It turned out that gloves were available but the kid chose not to wear them!

"Boy! Get out here! Theres a man wants to talk to you!" Enter stage left a surly young lad and I pointed out how, should he bin, his hands would be mince meat. Went right over the top. Quote "Thank you for that."
So I left, feeling like just another interfering old fart.

I'm still pissed cos' just before I'd been following the Draggin Jeans thread here and been really impressed by the incredibly responsible attitude shown by other guys on site. Yet this dickhead kid is out there, will do his chips, and via ACC we will all pick up the pieces. It aint right.

End of beef.

oldrider
21st November 2005, 21:41
You were right to do that and I commend you for it but he too is right to exercise his right to choose. Dumb little bastard is obviously enrolled at the school of hard knocks. That's where I learned the value of good gloves too.
Like the cheese add says, "some things take time".:bash: Cheers John.

Zed
21st November 2005, 21:50
It turned out that gloves were available but the kid chose not to wear them!Some people don't think twice about riding gear, whatever they feel comfortable in is what's most important to them. Many times it will take an unpleasant *experience* to change their attitude and teach them to take more responsability! If this young kid started wearing gloves from now on just because of your caring actions, he would have to have alot of character.

avgas
21st November 2005, 22:23
We only learn properly from our mistakes - lets hope his is a small one.

scumdog
21st November 2005, 22:28
Keep a check on him and his riding career - you might get a chance to say "told you so" (but that would be a sad event eh?)

Never mind you gave it a shot telling him, it MAY sink in eventually.

skidMark
21st November 2005, 22:38
i need to get some gear asap i gotta get off my lazy a** and stop buying bikes and get some gear even i wonder if im gunna become road sludge again someday...

hey look two moons ....squash ....

don't know who remembers that ad with the possums on the road for rally nz

Zapf
21st November 2005, 23:14
perhaps KB can collectively build up a collection of photos of what happens when u bin without gear... then ppl can decide for themselves.

skidMark
21st November 2005, 23:17
perhaps KB can collectively build up a collection of photos of what happens when u bin without gear... then ppl can decide for themselves.

well if you like you can all chip in like $1 each for some gear for me and oh a gn250 to get me started would be nice as well :) hahaha i wish:P

i don't think im that much of a contribution to society yet to get stuff given to me lol

WRT
22nd November 2005, 07:54
hey look two moons ....squash ....

don't know who remembers that ad with the possums on the road for rally nz

Cor, check it out - two moons!

. . .

How do you feel? Bit run down actually . . .

heavenly.talker
22nd November 2005, 09:25
Driving home through Rangiora in the southerley rain this evening, wet bitumen shining in the road, and came up beside a kid on a Pizza Hut delivery bike, hunched up against the weather, white knuckles gripping the bars...

should he bin, his hands would be mince meat. End of beef.

MMMMmmmm now I know where they get the meat shavings/gratings from!
No more pizza for me!

Coyote
22nd November 2005, 09:28
Not neaaarrrly as bad as the new kid at my school. I saw him riding his RG with a cotton T-shirt, short-shorts and jandals. He did have a flash helmet but it couldn't of been protecting anything important like a brain

figjam
22nd November 2005, 09:48
We only learn properly from our mistakes - lets hope his is a small one.

So true, and lets be fair - would you _really_ have listened when you were young.

A good site for "This is why you should wear protective gear" is here:

http://www.carpe-tdm.net/tdm/library/doc52_bloodymess.asp

If you are the least bit squeamish _do_not_ follow this link.

Zapf
22nd November 2005, 10:34
I experienced good old road rash in Thailand when I lowsided a scooter (1st bike, yamaha 4 stroke 125cc) thanks to sand... sort of a 1x1 inch patch on my knee... thanks to the good doctor to scrubbed it down after the blood had clot (me screaming in my head) it healed really quickly (under 1 week)

I have learnt my lesson....

iwilde
22nd November 2005, 13:22
Mmmmm, how many young men and women do you see riding around on step throughs with trendy shorts and sandels? If you havn't, try Newmarket at lunch time.

Rhino
22nd November 2005, 18:11
I experienced good old road rash in Thailand when I lowsided a scooter (1st bike, yamaha 4 stroke 125cc) thanks to sand... sort of a 1x1 inch patch on my knee... thanks to the good doctor to scrubbed it down after the blood had clot (me screaming in my head) it healed really quickly (under 1 week)

I have learnt my lesson....
My first bin was on a Suzuki 50 stepthrough at age 15. On a shingle road around Lake Brunner on The West Coast. I was wearing shorts and tee-shirt :doh: when I hit some thick stuff on the edge of a corner. Only doing about 30kph, but spent the next week picking bits out of my legs and arms. I still have a small piece of shingle in my left elbow. :(

yungatart
22nd November 2005, 19:10
When it comes to the school kids, schools often state that ONLY school uniform and approved school jackets are to be worn- that's right - NO PROTECTIVE gear other than a helmet- when hXc starts riding to school I will insist that no matter what the school rules state he will be wearing proper bike gear- end of story!

Brett
22nd November 2005, 21:59
Sounds like evolution in process to me...

Zapf
22nd November 2005, 23:47
My first bin was on a Suzuki 50 stepthrough at age 15. On a shingle road around Lake Brunner on The West Coast. I was wearing shorts and tee-shirt :doh: when I hit some thick stuff on the edge of a corner. Only doing about 30kph, but spent the next week picking bits out of my legs and arms. I still have a small piece of shingle in my left elbow. :(

similar in summer weight long sleeve shirt and trouser... but all the same. Next time I am on a scooter I'll add knee and elbow guards + gloves to the mix... maybe even a back protector..

Huntaway
23rd November 2005, 20:02
Thanks Oldrider, Zed and Avgas. Sadly, you are all right. I've been looking closer at other riders since and noted more with inadequate protection. I thought "Idiots" but it didn't rile me the same. I realise now, in the first instance, I reacted to a percieved OSH/exploitation issue, which, as it turned out, wasn't the case at all. Still, when these people do stuff up, I'm not sure how compassionate (ACC levies) the rest of us should be.

Iwilde is right on the nail though. There are many "non-bikers" out there on two wheels who have little idea of the risks, and safety authorities appear to be doing little to target them. Motorcycle manufacturers too seem to have a selective conscience depending on the market they are targeting. Saw an ad' for scooters recently featuring models in summer beach wear...

Just have to keep niggling I suppose to get everyone aware.

Zed
23rd November 2005, 22:10
Thanks Oldrider, Zed and Avgas. Sadly, you are all right. I've been looking closer at other riders since and noted more with inadequate protection.

Iwilde is right on the nail though. There are many "non-bikers" out there on two wheels who have little idea of the risks, and safety authorities appear to be doing little to target them. Motorcycle manufacturers too seem to have a selective conscience depending on the market they are targeting. Saw an ad' for scooters recently featuring models in summer beach wear...You're welcome, the lack of protection is a huge problem/danger nationwide. I believe it is the responsability of the individual rider (true rider or not) to learn about the do's & don'ts of motorcycling, but some take longer than others to learn valuable lessons such as suitable protective wear on bikes.

White trash
23rd November 2005, 22:18
And it's my personal belief that people should be able to choose exactly what the hell they WANT to wear on a bike for themselves.

Major study in Australia found recently that all fatalities in automobile accidents could be cut by a third by enforcing the use of full face helmets for all occupants of cars. Guess we better start stopping every cage driver we see not wearing one and chastise them.....

Zed
23rd November 2005, 22:35
And it's my personal belief that people should be able to choose exactly what the hell they WANT to wear on a bike for themselves.I'm not an advocate for compulsory *full protection* either...and if you insist on wearing sandshoes, draggin's, and a pink fishnet camisole when stunting - that's up to you Trashman! :blip:

Motu
23rd November 2005, 22:37
I think we should all band together and sue TRANSIT for making roads out of material that can damage bodies so severly - there are NO warning signs saying this can happen! This is a gross oversight on their part and I think they should be taken to task over it.How many motorcyclists have been killed and had severe injuries caused solely by the unforgiving nature of New Zealands roading surface? The sooner they rectify this ''killer'' roading surface the better for all of us - we pay tax for roads,and of course they make the roads for cars and trucks - absolutly NO consideration for motorcycles...we need to do something NOW!!!

Bring back the dirt road!!!!

Ixion
23rd November 2005, 22:52
I like mud. It's nice and soft to fall off onto.

Swoop
24th November 2005, 07:54
And it's my personal belief that people should be able to choose exactly what the hell they WANT to wear on a bike for themselves.

Major study in Australia found recently that all fatalities in automobile accidents could be cut by a third by enforcing the use of full face helmets for all occupants of cars. Guess we better start stopping every cage driver we see not wearing one and chastise them.....

Have you ever done that???
Wear your helmet in the cage - the looks you get are PRICELESS!!!
Great entertainment for the whole family...:blip:

And the link to the website earlier in this tread... cheers. Simple and no explanations really needed on those photos...

DemonWolf
24th November 2005, 08:11
haha Swoop.. I must try that.. Think next time the missus tell's me that I can't take the bike because its a "family" outing.. I'll "have" to wear the helmet in the car... Must get a buzz outta it.. will definately 'damper' the yelling she'll be giving me.. hahaha classic

mstriumph
24th November 2005, 13:31
......................... I believe it is the responsability of the individual rider (true rider or not) to learn about the do's & don'ts of motorcycling, .......................

always providing that they are YOUR personally-approved 'do's and don'ts', eh zed?? :blip:

........ i mean, you don't mean the 'do's and don'ts' of people who may have an opinion that differs from yours, eh? :lol:

Zed
24th November 2005, 14:14
always providing that they are YOUR personally-approved 'do's and don'ts', eh zed?? :blip:

........ i mean, you don't mean the 'do's and don'ts' of people who may have an opinion that differs from yours, eh? :lol:Not at all... be *responsible* (title of thread remember) and learn the do's and don'ts for yourself, they consist of both the written and unwritten rules of the road and motorcycling. Sorry if you don't know what I'm talking about. :spudguita

riffer
24th November 2005, 14:20
Not neaaarrrly as bad as the new kid at my school. I saw him riding his RG with a cotton T-shirt, short-shorts and jandals. He did have a flash helmet but it couldn't of been protecting anything important like a brain

Gave him a good earful the other day coming home from work.

He just looked at me like I was a stupid old bastard.

Exactly what I would have done at his age.

I learnt. The Hard Way. Just like he will.

Nice looking RG though...

mstriumph
25th November 2005, 17:01
Not at all... be *responsible* (title of thread remember) and learn the do's and don'ts for yourself, they consist of both the written and unwritten rules of the road and motorcycling. Sorry if you don't know what I'm talking about. :spudguita

no, no, my friend -- absolutely no need for you to apologise for being a poor communicator .... it will come with practice, the main thing is to just keep trying :yes:

sooooo - to clarify [and drawing on your previous posts] ....

......from your point of view .....its perfectly *responsible* for bikers to disregard the WRITTEN rules of the road [such as no speeding or stunts on public roads f'rinstance........] but totally *irresponsible* for them to not wear leathers or the like when riding?

please note the rest of you - i have no problem with stunts, speeding,
sneezing or anything else brought to you by the letter 's'
- am just trying to clarify Zed's initial post is all ........ thanks:rolleyes:

Zed
25th November 2005, 17:08
no, no, my friend -- absolutely no need for you to apologise for being a poor communicator .... it will come with practice, the main thing is to just keep trying :yes:NOT interested in an argument with you mstriumph...just disregard what i've said and move on please.

mstriumph
25th November 2005, 17:15
........... but i feel i could learn soooooooo much

i mean - your differentiation between what is responsible and what is not [ie the 2nd para. of my post that you have truncated above] ......... i'd really like to hear you explain it ..........?

no?

ok :lol:

inlinefour
25th November 2005, 17:45
We now live in a rights based society where responsibility has been long since forgotten. Also the rights for the individual is also considered, by that individual as more important than either the rights of others or any social responsbility. Therefore we all now live in a world of s#$t and we will all have to take a bite! Very sad, but true. Although I am a firm believer in karma (fate or whatever you wish to call it) that those individuals will eventually get whats coming to them.:nono:

mstriumph
25th November 2005, 23:05
oh - i DO so hope so, inlinefour .................. :yes:

scumdog
25th November 2005, 23:45
We now live in a rights based society where responsibility has been long since forgotten. Although I am a firm believer in karma (fate or whatever you wish to call it) that those individuals will eventually get whats coming to them.:nono:

Me too - I see it SO much inmy job "not my fault" or "he made me do it" or "they shouldn't have got in my car, they know I've only got a restricted licence":stupid:

Kharma? Hell I see it all the time - and I've got true stories that are very kharma related.:yes:

Zed
26th November 2005, 08:15
Although I am a firm believer in karma (fate or whatever you wish to call it) that those individuals will eventually get whats coming to them.:nono:You reap what you sow, whether it be good or bad...it's a universal law that applies to everyone!

Highlander
26th November 2005, 08:32
Not at all... be *responsible* (title of thread remember) and learn the do's and don'ts for yourself, they consist of both the written and unwritten rules of the road and motorcycling. Sorry if you don't know what I'm talking about. :spudguita

So where do I find the unwritten rules?

Zed
26th November 2005, 09:11
So where do I find the unwritten rules?Hopefully you'll find some here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=424105#post424105)! :hitcher:

Highlander
26th November 2005, 09:17
Thanks mate, I'll keep an eye on the other thread. Finding all sorts of tips scattered around the site.