PDA

View Full Version : Caught out!

terbang
22nd November 2005, 06:56
Yesterday I did the dumbest thing. I overtook a Truck and trailer (milk tanker) on a narrowish country road and ended up facing another goods vehicle coming the other way. Just misjudged and didn't see the oncoming and was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Both truck drivers gave me a wee bit of room, honking thier horns at my stupidity, and I swear my elbo's brushed something. I damn near sh!t myself..! I was on my smaller work bike (400) and felt rather limited in my acceleration options (normally used to 120hp). Probably a lot of human factors involved there, I ride every day and have owned bikes for the last 32 years so was it cockiness or am I going senile or something as this was just such a fundamental mistake?

ajturbo
22nd November 2005, 07:10
yer been there... and like you i "got away with it"... pisses you off for being so.... dumb, like you knew the other truck was coming aroud the corner....

Motu
22nd November 2005, 07:29
This is the sort of thing us older riders never admit to,after all our years of riding mistakes don't happen,perfection was achieved so early in our careers we have forgotten the mistakes of our youth.I'll overlook it this once - but buck up your ideas ok?

Ixion
22nd November 2005, 09:08
Even Homer nodded. Sometimes Mr Brain just pops off to smell the flowers.

bugjuice
22nd November 2005, 09:11
lapse of judgement. Everyone makes them. It's how you handle it after you commit to it that really counts. I've got myself in that sort of thing once or twice. Almost bite off more than you can chew, but you don't mean to. Or you think the road is different and turns out not to be.. On your bigger bike, you probably could have made it fine, and your brain was in that mode, rather than the right mode to give yourself a bit more space.. It's not really something to learn from, cos often it's done without concious thought.

unless I'm spouting, and you knew what you were getting yourself into, and were just being too cocky..

zadok
22nd November 2005, 09:50
Previous posts said it all and they have about 16,000 posts between them! At least you came out of it ok, thank goodness.

Yokai
22nd November 2005, 16:02
Man - glad you are OK and that you are safe. On the other hand, don't ask me about Tractors... Or MikeL.... or 6Chris6 ....

We all do it. Some of us early in our careers, some of us later thinking that we have the power in the bike... it's a mistake, but if you walk away from it and learn from it - it's OK.

You never stop learning to ride a bike.

Macktheknife
22nd November 2005, 16:49
lapse of judgement. Everyone makes them. It's how you handle it after you commit to it that really counts. I've got myself in that sort of thing once or twice. Almost bite off more than you can chew, but you don't mean to. Or you think the road is different and turns out not to be.. On your bigger bike, you probably could have made it fine, and your brain was in that mode, rather than the right mode to give yourself a bit more space.. It's not really something to learn from, cos often it's done without concious thought.

unless I'm spouting, and you knew what you were getting yourself into, and were just being too cocky..

Im sorry I thought that was kinda the point?! :stupid:
I am glad you came away with nothing more than a scare mate, but you should definitely learn from this!
Whether it was caused by a moments distraction, forgetting which bike you are on or just a garden variety cock-up on your part isnt really the point, the point is that if you learn from this the chances of it happening to you again are smaller, (hopefully a lot smaller).
Big ups to the truckies too for being so considerate and making sure you had enough space to make it.:rockon: