PDA

View Full Version : Tony Rees at KR Ruapuna Track Day 10/12/05

chris
22nd November 2005, 09:01
Reigning New Zealand Superbike champion Tony Rees will be making an appearance at the Canterbury Rides/Kiwi Rider Magazine Ruapuna Track Day on 10th December. Tony has agreed to come along and offer advice and riding/set up tips throughout the day and as he has more titles than Whitcoulls, he knows what he is talking about!

Canterbury Rides, Christchurch's newest BMW and Yamaha dealer are sponsoring the day and will have examples of the following models on display: BMW HP2, K1200S, K1200R, Yamaha MT01 and hopefully one or two bikes formerly ridden by Tony Rees. Rodney Faulkner of Canterbury Rides will have a bunch of entry forms on the counter for anyone interested in coming along, otherwise e-mail me for forms.

KB'ers pay the subscribers rate.

We spoil you lot.

Chris

Rashika
22nd November 2005, 12:25
drats...
wish i could go, but got school that day. :(
Have fun whoever does get out there

manuboy
22nd November 2005, 13:39
baBY! Tony Rees! I've got a video of me and him hangin out talking technique... okay well it was meant to be a photo but Mrs Blair was holding the camera and well..... nuff said really....

I'd go but i'm probably already faster than him.... oops sorry, thought i was WT for a moment there... ;-)

chris
22nd November 2005, 13:42
I'd go
Would you like an entry form perhaps.....?

Edited to say it's on its way.

**R1**
22nd November 2005, 14:25
Hell yeah Im keen, its a Saturday aye?

Joni
22nd November 2005, 14:31
Hell yeah Im keen, its a Saturday aye?Yup a Saturday indeed...

I might make my way out there, if I can find Ruapuna :doh:

manuboy
22nd November 2005, 14:40
man..... that's pretty cheap - okay not as cheap as tues / fri track sessions but Tony Rees doesn't turn up to those.... and i figure we won't be sharing the track with tin tops either.....

now if Tony could get me round in under 1:50 - that'd be the speed where i'm freakin out and he's riding with one arm on the bars and looking backwards at me....

manuboy
22nd November 2005, 14:47
Aaron - which group you gonna ride....?

chris
22nd November 2005, 14:47
Tony Rees doesn't turn up to those....
Nobody but the best at our days: Ray Clee, Brian Bernard, Hayden Fitzgerald, Bill Biber and now Tony Rees. I am in talks with Valentino....

Rashika
22nd November 2005, 15:30
Nobody but the best at our days: Ray Clee, Brian Bernard, Hayden Fitzgerald, Bill Biber and now Tony Rees. I am in talks with Valentino....
sounds ok to me :2thumbsup
...so next time can ya check with me to make sure I can go first?? :blip:

can ya tell that Im very sad that i cant :(

**R1**
22nd November 2005, 15:47
Aaron - which group you gonna ride....?Group? I guess I need the form, what are the groups? is there one for wheelies?

and dude if you want to get around faster than 1.50 you should hold on to the back of my bike:shake:

manuboy
22nd November 2005, 20:11
Group? I guess I need the form, what are the groups? is there one for wheelies?

and dude if you want to get around faster than 1.50 you should hold on to the back of my bike:shake:

Nah, i need to get round without needing a farking paint job afterwards bro! :banana:

Toast
22nd November 2005, 21:13
You lucky, lucky lancers down there in the South Island...

**R1**
23rd November 2005, 09:08
Nah, i need to get round without needing a farking paint job afterwards bro! :banana:hahaha, I take it you will be in the medium group then?

manuboy
23rd November 2005, 09:39
hahaha, I take it you will be in the medium group then?

Start there and see how it sorts itself out.... the last day i ended up in fast cos the "fast" guys were running in the 140's/50's... but it's possible that guys could turn up who run high 30's and don't want me in the way....

but i don't wanna be lapping with Nana's either.... that happened at the last one and these poeple freaked out cos we were taking then on the outside on the sweeper and they wouldn't go out again.... meh!

chris
30th November 2005, 09:32
There are still places available at this track day.
How often will you get the chance to share a race track with Tony Rees?

**R1**
1st December 2005, 10:50
If anyone wants a entry form I left a bunch at Pitlane M/C

chris
1st December 2005, 11:05
If anyone wants a entry form I left a bunch at Pitlane M/CThanks for that.

manuboy
1st December 2005, 12:43
Sweet - just sent my form away. Bike is booked for 12k service on 7th. Should be all good to go vrooommm... vroooommm ... vrooommmm with hopfully none of the vrooooomm.. ssscccccrrreeaaachhh... crack action from the last track day.....

Hope Tony won't be disappointed getting passed by a twin eh ... :doh: :blink: :bye:

chris
1st December 2005, 12:45
Hope Tony won't be disappointed getting passed by a twin eh ... :doh: :blink: :bye:He's quaking in his Sidi's :msn-wink: He will have his race bike there so may be able to put up a fight.

**R1**
1st December 2005, 15:25
He's quaking in his Sidi's :msn-wink: He will have his race bike there so may be able to put up a fight.You think he will mind me taking it for a strop around the track? I'll only use one wheel if that makes him feel any better about it.....I'll even let him pick-front or rear wheel?

Sniper
1st December 2005, 20:00
I'll pop out to see how it goes. No forms needed for that is there?

manuboy
1st December 2005, 21:00
You think he will mind me taking it for a strop around the track? I'll only use one wheel if that makes him feel any better about it.....I'll even let him pick-front or rear wheel?

Why bother, he only rides a little R1... you should've asked Beany at the last race meet - that CBR of his looked sharp. Shit man, if ya nice i'll stick a govener on the SV and let it frighten ya for a few laps :thud:

gav
1st December 2005, 21:06
Is Tony Rees racing in the Nationals this year? Thought I heard he wasnt defending his title? Is that right? Whats up with that?

chris
2nd December 2005, 08:39
Is Tony Rees racing in the Nationals this year? Thought I heard he wasnt defending his title? Is that right? Whats up with that?
Tony has retired.

chris
2nd December 2005, 08:41
No forms needed for that is there?. There may be places available on the day depending on numbers. If you fancy a few laps you should be able to sign up on the day. Other than that, you could fill in a form now, pay $60 and come for a ride.

Monsterbishi
4th December 2005, 07:32
I might pop out in the PM to see how things are going, It's a shame my rear tyre is only a week old or I'd be sorely tempted to flag work and come out for a blast.

**R1**
5th December 2005, 07:09
I might pop out in the PM to see how things are going, It's a shame my rear tyre is only a week old or I'd be sorely tempted to flag work and come out for a blast.Man with a new tyre I cant think of a better way to scrub it in:blip:

Monsterbishi
5th December 2005, 07:41
Hmm, I'm betting if I did, half the forum would be camped on the inside of the first corner just to watch as I go flying off the outside of it on a 90 degree lean :-)

manuboy
5th December 2005, 08:06
Should say this now (b4 i've binned the bike :slap: )...

Thanks to Kiwi Rides and Kiwi Rider and Tony - it's primo to have the track and decent fulla (you'd be not bad if you couldn't learn a thing or two from the man) dealing out the helpful hints....

Cheers lads - oh yeah, and the KB discount stroke of genius... :banana:

**R1**
5th December 2005, 11:52
yeah im realy looking fwd to this..

How many confirmed?

Are we allowed to do wheelies?

and should I clean my bike and comb my hair for all the photo's in KR??

chris
5th December 2005, 12:01
yeah im realy looking fwd to this..

How many confirmed? Still taking entries

Are we allowed to do wheelies? If we don't see you, yes.

should I clean my bike and comb my hair for all the photo's in KR?? What makes you think your pic will get in?:msn-wink:

Entry forms are also available from Canterbury Rides in Christchurch.

manuboy
10th December 2005, 16:46
Awesome day.

Learnt a whole lot from TR - changed my cornering technique a bunch. Felt crazy at first but definitely getting through the turns quicker and smoother.

Really sweet organisation thanks to KR (all teh lads were cool).

Groups were all good too... got passed by some freakishly fast peeps but learnt a lot.
And absolutely NO chicken strips left :banana:

**R1**
10th December 2005, 17:02
:2thumbsup Primo primo day, thanks to all that helped orgainise the event, thats the most track time I have ever had, and they let us do wheelies:2thumbsup ...looking fwd to seeing some pics,...

MotoEquip
10th December 2005, 18:07
Also had a fantastic day. Was having a huge problem with arm pump in my right hand- it was so bad at times that I had to pull in because I couldn't brake hard enough. I took till the second to last session to realise that the brake pads which were only half worn a few days earlier were now completely stuffed and overheating- the arm pump was masking the fact that I was pulling VERY hard. So I pulled in, resigned to not getting out again.

Then 30UTD offered a ride on his K4. How could I say no?:spudwhat: My god! What a huge difference! Brakes that actually work can make a huge difference ;) And the handling - yikes! All I can say is man thats an easy bike to ride!

Got shown the correct lines by Tony Rees- VERY different to what I (and most other riders) thought was the line. What a bloody nice guy- very approachable and helpful.

A huge thanks to Kiwi Rider for organising a well run event and to Canterbury Rides for sponsoring it.:banana:

dangerous
10th December 2005, 19:11
And absolutely NO chicken strips left :banana:
Mate...... I have never seen a front tyre with no chicken stripes, but in your case it was from bad riding... having said that after a few pointers you improved immensely, now TR had a lot to do with that and I was told that TonyB gave you advice too... but who taught Tony all he knows :wait: (sitting on the bike on the paddock stand in the garage waent so dumb after all aye T)

Anyway.... whos this dumb arse :blip:

ps: I believe there is more pics to follow

The Preacher
10th December 2005, 19:22
Had a bloody good day at the track. Even though I was only a flag marshal, I learnt a lot by watching TR on the track and listening to him at the lunch break. Man he runs sweet lines.

Dangerous, was that you riding the Fortuna in the intermedate section :-)

**R1**
10th December 2005, 19:38
Had a bloody good day at the track. Even though I was only a flag marshal, I learnt a lot by watching TR on the track and listening to him at the lunch break. Man he runs sweet lines.

Dangerous, was that you riding the Fortuna in the intermedate section :-):killingme :killingme :killingme dangerous cant ride like that:nya:

Rashika
10th December 2005, 21:15
some piccies of todays events

pic 1: TonyB- I'm soooooo sexy in ma leathers :rockon:
Pic 2: TL lines up TonyB for the undertake
Pic 3: TonyB wont stand for that
Pic 4: FZR may be old but still hauls arse :2thumbsup
Pic 5: closeup

Rashika
10th December 2005, 21:20
and some more...

Pic 1: Tony Rees, the tutor for the day.
Pic 2: R1 doing what he does best down the straight...
Pic 3: ...and then carrying on past the marshals who are on the radio to give him a telling off AGAIN!
Pic 4: closeup

The Preacher
10th December 2005, 21:26
:killingme :killingme :killingme dangerous cant ride like that:nya:

Have we a photo of dangerous on his bike ??????

Never mind I see myself in a shot :2thumbsup

Rashika
10th December 2005, 21:26
and last but DEFINATELY not the least, ....Manuboy

pic 1: Manuboy heading out along the straight, trying to show off all his new bling to the waiting crowds :rockon:
Pic 2: ooooooaaaahhhhh shiny stuff cornering
Pic 3: closeup

Rashika
10th December 2005, 21:30
Have we a photo of dangerous on his bike ??????
of course... altho not from today, to busy doing "other" things to get out on the track today , this one is from 2 weeks ago, Arthurs pass ride ...damn fine day!! :2thumbsup

The Preacher
10th December 2005, 21:38
of course... altho not from today, to busy doing "other" things to get out on the track today , this one is from 2 weeks ago, Arthurs pass ride ...damn fine day!! :2thumbsup

That statue of a fine looking man now looks familar

gav
10th December 2005, 21:38
You mean today was the 10th?? :doh: :slap:

dangerous
11th December 2005, 07:37
You mean today was the 10th?? :doh: :slap:
NO... its the 11th today Gav.... FFS keep up will ya:banana:

Rashika
11th December 2005, 07:41
Never mind I see myself in a shot :2thumbsup
so which shot and which person??? :spudbooge

**R1**
11th December 2005, 09:32
and some more...

Pic 1: Tony Rees, the tutor for the day.
Pic 2: R1 doing what he does best down the straight...
Pic 3: ...and then carrying on past the marshals who are on the radio to give him a telling off AGAIN!
Pic 4: closeupMint, cheers for the pics Rashika:2thumbsup

The Preacher
11th December 2005, 10:50
[QUOTE=Rashika]so which shot and which person??? :spudbooge[/QUOTE

I was at the last bend before the main straight, that's me (the cool looking dude in the orange vest) in the far distance watching R1 and thinking if only I could do that :-)

MotoEquip
11th December 2005, 19:29
so which shot and which person??? :spudbooge

I was at the last bend before the main straight, that's me (the cool looking dude in the orange vest) in the far distance watching R1 and thinking if only I could do that :-)
So that was YOU laughing at me when I had to come in early due to me dodgy brakes? I would've laugh too....

The Preacher
11th December 2005, 19:43
So that was YOU laughing at me when I had to come in early due to me dodgy brakes? I would've laugh too....

In the afternoon sessions there where bikes leaving the track every couple of minutes, I just thought they going for a quite beer or two and I was missing out :slap:

chris
12th December 2005, 08:41
Thanks to all those who turned up. From our point of view - Kiwi rider - it was a great day. Thanks to Canterbury Rides, sponsors of the day, and Tony Rees who re-affirmed the fact that he is a good bloke.

Rashika
12th December 2005, 13:25
Thanks to all those who turned up. From our point of view - Kiwi rider - it was a great day. Thanks to Canterbury Rides, sponsors of the day, and Tony Rees who re-affirmed the fact that he is a good bloke.
:2thumbsup Well done Kiwi Rider, Canterbury Rides, and Tony Rees. Looks like it was going pretty well when I was there, very smoothly run, and lots of smiling faces... hopefully next time I can wag class to get out there!
I seem to recall that there was possibly going to be one at Levels sometime?
Let us know when the next one will be. :rockon:

MotoEquip
13th December 2005, 05:00
Hey Chris, there were a few photographers out on the track. Where do we go to look at the photo's and how do we purchase them?

chris
13th December 2005, 07:30
Hey Chris, there were a few photographers out on the track. Where do we go to look at the photo's and how do we purchase them?
Speak to Euan Cameron regarding pics on 03 381 1468.

Thanks for the e-mail, Tony. Glad you enjoyed the day.

Chris