PDA

View Full Version : Hi

bane
26th February 2004, 19:46
Hello there,

stumbled across this site whilst looking for info on tyres for my FXR - cool site!

Im one of those people who has "rediscovered" biking again. Was really keen in my teens, but had a close friend who was killed on his... kinda put me off.

Bought the FXR about 6 months ago. Not the fastest bike (even pushbikes can be a challenge :) ), but great fun anyways - I even look forward to going to work each morning!

Bane

riffer
26th February 2004, 20:13
Hi bane, welcome to the site.

There's a truckload of us who left bikes in our 20s and have come back to it now (I'm in my late 30s).

And I'll bet most of us can tell you about a mate who's died on a bike - I sure can.

But I don't let it get to me - more of my mates have died either in cages or by the needle...

Hope you enjoy the place.

Ms Piggy
26th February 2004, 20:40
Hello there,

stumbled across this site whilst looking for info on tyres for my FXR - cool site!

Im one of those people who has "rediscovered" biking again. Was really keen in my teens, but had a close friend who was killed on his... kinda put me off.

Bought the FXR about 6 months ago. Not the fastest bike (even pushbikes can be a challenge :) ), but great fun anyways - I even look forward to going to work each morning!

Bane

Hey Bane,
Welcome :ride: You'll make some great contacts through this site.

Lotsa good people that love bikes & riding! Mind you...who couldn't!! :Punk:

ching_ching
27th February 2004, 07:11
Kia ora Baaaaannnnnneeeeeee,

Welcome. Glad previous bad experience has not put you off getting a sickle.

For me I took up the sickle 2 years ago when I was 36yrs old for main form of transport (due to financial situation). And like they say, the rest is history. I'm hooked. And I reckon you're never too old to start (as long as you can swing your leg over the seat and control the thing when it's moving).

Enjoy your sickle and enjoy the site bro.

ching_ching

Suzi Q
27th February 2004, 19:27
I started on the FXR150 - great learners bike. I loved the digital dash and the fact that you knew what gear you were in!! Now I have changed, I keep trying to find the next gear and find I am in top - I never remeber what gear I am in!
I found that the speedo was 10 kms out - on the slow side. We ended up having to get a new speedo. It was a pain when I did my restricted and full licence as we had to do a speed test to begin with!

wkid_one
27th February 2004, 19:40
Heya Bane.....good luck - stay upright

These FXR's are becoming more and more common.........

bane
27th February 2004, 20:27
hi there Suzi_Q

Yep my speedos out by about 10kph -optimistic at least, so should avoid the tickets :yes:

Hows your GSXF? Im looking at replacing my FXR with one of those. Havent had a ride yet but seem like a really good tourer.

Zed
27th February 2004, 21:36
Hello there,
Not the fastest bike (even pushbikes can be a challenge :) ), but great fun anyways
Bane
Hi Bane,

You gotta start somewhere with the FXR...a least you're not on a scooter! :lol:

Have fun on this site.

Zed

Firefight
29th February 2004, 13:05
Hello there,

Bane

hey Bane, welcome to the site, wealth of information and opinions to be found here.

firefight.

Lord Pac
29th February 2004, 18:34
...and good mates- welcome and enjoy!

DebK
29th February 2004, 21:04
Hi Bane,

You gotta start somewhere with the FXR...a least you're not on a scooter! :lol:

Zed
Thanks yet again for comments like this Zed.

Hi Bane & welcome. Please forgive my wee reaction above.

Zed
29th February 2004, 21:59
Thanks yet again for comments like this Zed.

Hi Bane & welcome. Please forgive my wee reaction above.
Ok DebK, I'll stop such comments just for you...no-one else seems to bite at them? Figures, seeing you're the only scooter rider around here! :msn-wink:

Zed

DebK
29th February 2004, 22:52
Zed, as I am the only admitted scoot rider in here, obviously I will bite. Your comments are therefore directed at an individual. Bad form IMHO.

Bane - irrespective of what kind of wheels we all own, I too enjoy going to work in the mornings as a result of the new found freedom & fun. Not ridden at the height of a winter yet... so this may be interesting. The FXR150 has a very attractive price tag too. I see a 1999 one went for $1,700 on TradeMe (22,000kms though).

Zed
29th February 2004, 23:49
[QUOTE=DebK]Zed, as I am the only admitted scoot rider in here, obviously I will bite. Your comments are therefore directed at an individual. Bad form IMHO.
QUOTE]

You couldn't be further from the truth there DebK! :crazy:

If you have read my posts I have always made exception for you.

MikeL
1st March 2004, 07:26
My advice, DebK:
Just turn the other cheek. Let the disbelievers mock.
Blessed are the scooter-riders...

franco
1st March 2004, 11:35
G'day bane. welcome to the forum. Plenty of chit chat goin on in here, not all of it bike talk but aome of it really interesting nonetheless.

Debk, wouldn't worry about Zed's comments re:scooters. I'm sure he's just a joshin'. I think I've seen yours parked up down on the Terrace, it looks da bomb. A mate of mine just bought a vespa; I secretely want to take it out for a "blast" but haven't worked up the "courage" to do so yet :laugh:. Although scoots arent my preferred cuppa, there are many today which can keep up with motorcycles - speed and $ wise :crazy: . Personally as long as it's got two wheels and a motor, I dont care if it's 50cc or 1000cc, or if it's asian, american, european, or venusian - they all good to me!

bane
1st March 2004, 18:18
thanks for the welcome guys.

I have nothing but respect for all those who choose 2 wheels over 4, whether it be R1, GN125, scooter or pushbike :yes: .... we all share a common enemy :bash:

Ive enjoyed reading the various threads, unfortunately cant add to many... obviously need more experience to fall off and get speeding tickets :lol:

Can i use any more smilies??? :doh:

Bane

dangerous
1st March 2004, 19:10
Debk, wouldn't worry about Zed's comments re:scooters. I'm sure he's just a joshin' Although scoots arent my preferred cuppa, there are many today which can keep up with motorcycles - speed and $ wise :crazy:

Ya not wrong there. A month ago a group of us went for a spin to Akaroa (tight and winding hills) and among us was a Yamaha 500 twin scooter (suzy Q's cuz)
Do not underestamate these bikes it was up with the best of us, handeled and excelated bloody well. I think that the rear tyre is a 140 of somthing fat littel bugger although it does look damn funny amongest us bigger bikes.

FzerozeroT
2nd March 2004, 08:52
yay! another sub 250 in the waikato. our 150's have the last laugh when it comes to $$, full service for $80 ahhahaha, what colour is your FXR/helmet, what roads do you ride?

Suzi Q
2nd March 2004, 19:08
It is a big jump from a 150cc to a 750cc - I went from 150cc to a 600cc.
I love the 750F, it is not scary like a twin. I find it really well behaved. You can really ride it hard though, of course I never will!!!
A while ago a mate from England came over - he is a twisty fan. He rode my bike with me on the back - from Akaroa to CHCH which has a great hill. Well I have never been so exhilerated in my life. My poor bike will never know that joy again the way I ride!!! I am such a wus on the hills.
It is a fantastic tourer, I have a pack rack - venturer - with a 45 l pack, a small 10 l and saddlebags. I can load the bike up and still be comfortable. Very stable and well balanced bike.
:2thumbsup

hi there Suzi_Q

Yep my speedos out by about 10kph -optimistic at least, so should avoid the tickets :yes:

Hows your GSXF? Im looking at replacing my FXR with one of those. Havent had a ride yet but seem like a really good tourer.