PDA

View Full Version : Carrying luggage

XP@
23rd November 2005, 09:32
Last night on my way home from work I noticed a couple of bikes parked at the side of the motorway.
One of the bikes had a long black line behind it... rear locked up. And a large back pack on the grass (I initially thought it to be a person)

What had happened is the tie down holding on the backpack had caught it's self up in the the rear sprocket. Then been sucked in to the axel. The rear wheel locked up pulled the backpack down in to the wheel area. Somehow the rider managed to stay upright and controll enough to go from the left lane to the shoulder. Eating a LOT of tread in the process, the rear tyre looked fooked!

Had this happened on a corner, in the right lane or with an in-attentive cager tailgating him things could have been a little different.

This raised the question on how to carry stuff on your bike safely?

Make sure everything is tied down, no loose ends
keep the weight low, use panniers in place of a pack rack
use a tank bag for small, frequently used stuff
don't carry too much.
ballance the weight evenly

zadok
23rd November 2005, 09:42
That's what is good about the GTR. Good sized panniers as standard and with the addition of a topbox, what can I say? Great, bonza, mint, neat, fantastic, grouse.............:2thumbsup

Paul in NZ
23rd November 2005, 10:16
Was that the Ducati SD900 thingy? I saw that but was in someone elses car going to an appointment otherwise would have stopped..

Being an SD900 the dude probably though it was just blowing up again until he whipped in the clutch and it stayed locked up.

Musta had a bloody fright and damn lucky it happened where it did.

Good onya for stopping..

I usually just carry a rucksack with some guff in it that I need for work. Has nice clippy things around the front to make sure it doesn't come off thou.

vifferman
23rd November 2005, 11:07
I used to carry stuff bungied to my pillion seat on the VF500, but I don't think I'd ever do that again. Apart from anything else, it drove me nuts having to check it all the time.
When I bought this VFR, I contacted a friend who lives nearby who had an Anniversary Edition VFR800. He said he didn't have it any more, and was nearly up to riding pushbikes. "Apparently, I was doing about 120km/h, according to the cops, when the bag came off and went in the back wheel." He didn't remember any of it, but the recovery took many months, and he remembered (most of) that.

Lou Girardin
23rd November 2005, 13:34
Another reason why hard bags are the best. No loose ends to give you a loose end.

XP@
23rd November 2005, 14:03
Was that the Ducati SD900 thingy? I saw that but was in someone elses car going to an appointment otherwise would have stopped..

Being an SD900 the dude probably though it was just blowing up again until he whipped in the clutch and it stayed locked up.

Musta had a bloody fright and damn lucky it happened where it did.

Good onya for stopping..
I was not going to mention the bike...
But I don't think there would have been that many bikes connected to black skid marks (and possibly brown) on SH1 between porrirua and the roundabout at about 5:15 last night...

I stopped, they seemed to have it sort of under control, although they seemed a little reluctant to remove the rear wheel.

Swoop
23rd November 2005, 15:35
Great that you stopped XP@!

I witnessed someone filtering along with a plastic bag hanging from the pillion seat with a plastic bag containing sandwitches, youghart, fruit....
right next to the wheel. I guess that a plastic bag won't foul a wheel - but "won't somebody think about the lunch"

Paul in NZ
23rd November 2005, 15:39
I was not going to mention the bike...
But I don't think there would have been that many bikes connected to black skid marks (and possibly brown) on SH1 between porrirua and the roundabout at about 5:15 last night...

I stopped, they seemed to have it sort of under control, although they seemed a little reluctant to remove the rear wheel.

No.. I suppose not but it was a terrific black line...

I had a similar experience when an alternator exploded on my 750cc Norton one day but whipping the clutch in got it rolling (to a stop). Darn near cacked myself though... Wham and your are all locked up... scary scary. Glad he was OK..

terbang
24th November 2005, 10:19
Ventura build a good reasonably priced product. I have one on one of my bikes and it can be changed into a grab rail when just going for a quick day fang. Doesn't spoil the looks too much and gives peace of mind. Mate of mine years ago, when there wasn't the gear (and money) available and we used to stuff newspaper up our jackets, wore an old WW2 trench coat that had a long strap that eventually wrapped around the rear sprocket and axle. Winched him off the back and totalled his new RD350..!

tracyprier
24th November 2005, 10:39
That's what is good about the GTR. Good sized panniers as standard and with the addition of a topbox, what can I say? Great, bonza, mint, neat, fantastic, grouse.............:2thumbsup
Yep, the Beemer's the same, carry's all I'll ever need :)

Highlander
26th November 2005, 09:08
Had the rear hub on a CB400 come apart at 100k's one day (years ago). Locked the wheel when it jammed the chain. Skid marks not just on the road. :doh:
Stayed upright though - more by good luck than good management.
Must remember that feeling when shopping for bags.

sunhuntin
27th November 2005, 16:51
usually carry a backpack bungied to the top box [thats usually full!] and found the strap up inside the chain guard at the end of one ride. now i make sure the bag is firmly sitting on both straps and refuse to leave if it aint.

if the bag is empty/half full making my usual cord too long, i wrap it around as many times as i can. if im carrying something an awkward shape [worst was a big box of nappies for my flatmates] i lean back on it as hard as i can so i can feel it the whole time and kinda keep it from moving much.

shadow
27th November 2005, 18:01
i use a net like the ones used on trailer just smaller and find its good for loose bags straps as i have pipes under seat as well to keep material away from as well seems to do the trick,as i had a tie down strap wrap around axle last year didnt do anything but shit myself when i saw it once off my bike (very lucky)

sunhuntin
30th November 2005, 21:29
those bungy cargo nets are handy things. plan on shoving some xmas toys under mine for the toy run.

Zed
30th November 2005, 21:53
Great, bonza, mint, neat, fantastic, grouse.............:2thumbsupI see you're trying to sneak a few 'non-Kiwi' words into the thread there Marty! :confused: :whistle:

As for carrying luggage, I have fitted the Ventura pack rack system on my last 5 bikes and it has always done me proud! Very secure and easy luggage system I've found. I can recall using bungies a few times on my gixxer250 but they made marks and my conscience wouldn't allow me to trust them being secure to hold any kind of heavy weight.

Glad to hear the poor rider in question controlled the bike, and like you say XP@ under other circumstances things could have easily turned to custard!