PDA

View Full Version : I need tea and sympathy.... and a new helmet

HenryDorsetCase
23rd November 2005, 16:11
I am dropping off my bike to get tuned this morning, and I couldnt find the place. My partner is following me in the car. I stop and park the bike, put my helmet down beside the bike (never on it,,, wouldnt want it to fall off). Go and check the address of the business I want, come out and find that she has shifted the car, and run over my crash helmet (luckily didnt hit the bike....). Crapola.

So now I get to go helmet shopping this Saturday morning. And it isnt worth claiming on insurance. Gaaaaahhh! :(

Oh and my bike might not be ready for the weekend either. :(

and work sucks :(

and its going to rain :(

ManDownUnder
23rd November 2005, 16:19
I am dropping off my bike to get tuned this morning, and I couldnt find the place. My partner is following me in the car. I stop and park the bike, put my helmet down beside the bike (never on it,,, wouldnt want it to fall off). Go and check the address of the business I want, come out and find that she has shifted the car, and run over my crash helmet (luckily didnt hit the bike....). Crapola.

So now I get to go helmet shopping this Saturday morning. And it isnt worth claiming on insurance. Gaaaaahhh! :(

What do you need - what sized helmet - what type?

Someone out here might be able to help.

HenryDorsetCase
23rd November 2005, 16:30
can anyone recommend a quiet helmet?

the helmet that got run over was a Bell of some description. Probably 8 years old, but hardly used. (I didnt have a bike for about 4 years... I became a boring old fart at age 30, and rediscovered myself age 40...)

I will replace it with either a Shoei or "Cheap" Arai, or an AGV, whatever fits best. Some of those HJC's look all right for reasonable money.

to be honest, its just a catalyst for replacing a helmet I should have replaced but didnt want to because it fit so well.

My last two good helmets have been Bell, but the one before that was AGV (cos Kenny Roberts used to use them).

I just needed to vent a bit. :blush:

Motu
23rd November 2005, 16:38
You can get a spray on helmet - you just apply before you ride,simple and easy.... check out www.sprayonhelmet.com

HenryDorsetCase
23rd November 2005, 16:45
I sometimes get spray "From" my helmet, but I suspect that isnt what your talking about ? :blink:

also your link seems to be broken.

bugjuice
23rd November 2005, 17:03
ain't your day, is it?
good luck finding a new one.

XTC
23rd November 2005, 20:05
I give a vote for the HJC CL14 in the quiet stakes. Good price too.

Big Dave
23rd November 2005, 20:09
Shoei XR1000 is the quietest I have used.
X-sprit is lighter and better featured.

justsomeguy
23rd November 2005, 20:26
I give a vote for the HJC CL14 in the quiet stakes. Good price too.

The HJC-12 is a lot nicer ergonomically compared to the HJC CL14.

I bought a 14 from Lou (AMPS) for $169 on sale - pretty good price if you ask me.:yes:

Dunno what's the price now - PM Lou, he'll sort you out.

ducatilover
23rd November 2005, 20:33

ummmm have a cup of tea.....:2thumbsup while i teel you you're lucky to even have a bike you can ride to the shop.:hitcher: .....bugger though:bash:

dawnrazor
24th November 2005, 06:45
can anyone recommend a quiet helmet?

the helmet that got run over was a Bell of some description. Probably 8 years old, but hardly used. (I didnt have a bike for about 4 years... I became a boring old fart at age 30, and rediscovered myself age 40...)

I will replace it with either a Shoei or "Cheap" Arai, or an AGV, whatever fits best. Some of those HJC's look all right for reasonable money.

to be honest, its just a catalyst for replacing a helmet I should have replaced but didnt want to because it fit so well.

My last two good helmets have been Bell, but the one before that was AGV (cos Kenny Roberts used to use them).

I just needed to vent a bit. :blush:

Got a $5 head - get a $5 helmet. You get what you pay for.

Lou Girardin
24th November 2005, 07:19
Got a $5 head - get a $5 helmet. You get what you pay for.

Bit early for cliches.:yes:

dawnrazor
24th November 2005, 07:21
Bit early for cliches.:yes:
Ah crap I've been up since 5:30am and at work by 6am, I'm wide awake and ready to roll. So i'll be sound asleep in a heap on the couch by 4pm.

Rashika
24th November 2005, 13:03
ditto to the XR1000....lovely and quiet, and is damn hot too! :rockon:

Biff
24th November 2005, 13:59
It's at times like these I'm reminded of the teachings of the world's greatest philosophists and religious teachers.

In particular the words of the great Dalai Lama, "Oh bollox. What an utter arse biscuit".

Rashika
24th November 2005, 14:12
It's at times like these I'm reminded of the teachings of the world's greatest philosophists and religious teachers.

In particular the words of the great Dalai Lama, "Oh bollox. What an utter arse biscuit".
its times like this that I wonder if your brain cell ever gets lonely Biff? :lol:

Biff
24th November 2005, 14:29
its times like this that I wonder if your brain cell ever gets lonely Biff? :lol:

Why would it? It has yours for company.

(pt)

Rashika
24th November 2005, 14:36
Why would it? It has yours for company.

(pt)
I dont bloody think so ...not after the stuff I hear you do to MrsBiff....ropes and all, poor down trodden woman
;) :bleh:

Mooch
25th November 2005, 23:17
I find the shark brand of helmet is good for cutting back on noise , come in a number of price ranges as well.

Some how I always feel happier after a visit to the Darwin awards site.

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/index_darwin2005.html

WINJA
26th November 2005, 10:22
NOLAN AND HJC HAVE SOME GOOD VALUE HEKMETS , PERHAPS YOU SHOULD SHOP FOR A NEW GF AT THE SAME TIME

Unit
26th November 2005, 10:27
Sarge had some HJCs on special the other day, give him a buzz, you might get a good deal if they still have stock

HenryDorsetCase
26th November 2005, 15:14
tried on a boatload of helmets this morning. My criteria are fit, quietness, value and no racer boy graphics (except for Freddie Spencer or Lawson or Roberts... or one of the Haga boys)

Suomy: didnt fit my head shape (I look like the Alien... long skinny head, two mouths...)

Shark: ditto.

HJC CL14: on the shortlist. good features and good price $350, fitted well. CS12 didnt feel as nice but really good price $300

Shoei XR1000 no stock my size, but a good price ($700). They are getting more stock next week so waiting for that.

Arai. Fantastic, fitted beautifully, beautifully made, great features, light. but the cheap one is $895 !!! !!! the dear ones are $1400!!! WTF! I will buy it if the Shoei doesnt fit but criminy! the one I tried was a nice solid colour, blue.

FFM, Cirrus and some other 3 letter brand: didnt like them on, seemed odd shape, and looked cheap and nasty.

so I try on the XR1000 next week, and choose the shortlist. That seems to be the best bet if I can find one that fits.

Didnt see any of the brands I also like: Bell AGV or Nolan. And I wont be buying without trying. Its amazing how different feeling two helmets the same size and model can be.

pritch
26th November 2005, 18:34
You get what you pay for.

Not true.

Once the helmet meets the safety standards, you are paying for name, comfort or noise reduction.

Snell approved helmets (sold as the safest) are arguably less safe than their European equivalents.

Too much detail to go into here but there is good info in previous threads.

inlinefour
26th November 2005, 20:06

Just got one myself and are most impressed with the quality. Also they come out with some crazy graphics:blink:

nadroj
26th November 2005, 20:17
Check out the HJC website for the next model up from the cheapie. I went HJC AC10 over the CL14. Different feel altogether & better featured. Good luck.