PDA

View Full Version : Need an excuse for crashing - Slippery when wet

TLRulz
23rd November 2005, 16:38
I learned today how Transit decides Slippery When Wet signs are needed.

Apperently they have this machine that wets the road a bit and locks up a wheel on the wet spot. From the friction or whatever they determin if the level of grip meets specified requirements. Its called a scrim measurment or something like that.

So if Transit do this test and find the road surfice is not grippy enough, they are required to put in place "Slippery when wet" or something to that effect.

Here's the interesting part, if they don't sign it and you crash there, I'm pretty sure you can claim they are responsible. If you had any issues after a crash and are using a lawyer because the police are prosecuting you or insurance is not paying or something it could be useful to know.

There are all sorts of rules governing road signage, lots of minor details, but getting off things is all in the details.

DemonWolf
24th November 2005, 07:38
belated welcome TLRulz =)

Jackrat
25th November 2005, 13:06
I learned today how Transit decides Slippery When Wet signs are needed.

Apperently they have this machine that wets the road a bit and locks up a wheel on the wet spot. From the friction or whatever they determin if the level of grip meets specified requirements. Its called a scrim measurment or something like that.

So if Transit do this test and find the road surfice is not grippy enough, they are required to put in place "Slippery when wet" or something to that effect.

Here's the interesting part, if they don't sign it and you crash there, I'm pretty sure you can claim they are responsible. If you had any issues after a crash and are using a lawyer because the police are prosecuting you or insurance is not paying or something it could be useful to know.

There are all sorts of rules governing road signage, lots of minor details, but getting off things is all in the details.

What if you came off because your a fuckwit that just can't ride wet roads,who you gonn'a blame then??
Shit people like you make me sick,but your going to fit in really well around here.

Waylander
25th November 2005, 13:23
Agree with Jackrat. That is the reason the government thinks it has to keep putting out more and more laws to tell us how to live our lives.

But welcome to the site anyway TLRulz.

oldrider
25th November 2005, 13:26
What if you came off because your a fuckwit that just can't ride wet roads,who you gonn'a blame then??
Shit people like you make me sick,but your going to fit in really well around here.
Be nice! :wacko: That made me really laugh. John.

TLRulz
25th November 2005, 16:31

Well I know if my insurance is looking for tecnicalities to not pay me out, I don't care if I was a fuckwit, i want I would want the large amounts of money I have given them over the years back.

TLRulz
25th November 2005, 16:49

I think you better read the RESPECT post.

Macktheknife
25th November 2005, 17:34
Greetings TL, dont sweat the petty stuff man.
welcome to the site, please step around the unpleasant stains as we have yet to find something that can remove them! lol
Lighten up guys...jeez

TLRulz
25th November 2005, 17:38
I'm a little sensitive when people swear at me, sorry.LOL.

Waylander
25th November 2005, 17:44
It wasn't really a personal attack mate, just a disagreeent with your ideals. He could have been a little nicer though.

If your insurance was trying to hold out on payments for some reason beyond what is in your contract then I can understand. But if you were doing one of the things that voids your contract then no you don't deserve to be paid for damages to the bike. Make sense? Things like looking for loopholes in the law are just gonna ake them keep tightening down on us untill we have laws telling us how to wipe our asses to make sure we do it safely.

marty
25th November 2005, 20:43

i'd give ya bling but i can't be fucked.

i'm just waiting for lou and his 'gravel ahead' signs needed.... :)

sorry tl dude, but if you think like you do, then maybe you should get moving mode gps with every threat known programmed into it.

Sketchy_Racer
25th November 2005, 20:45
It wasn't really a personal attack mate, just a disagreeent with your ideals. He could have been a little nicer though.

If your insurance was trying to hold out on payments for some reason beyond what is in your contract then I can understand. But if you were doing one of the things that voids your contract then no you don't deserve to be paid for damages to the bike. Make sense? Things like looking for loopholes in the law are just gonna ake them keep tightening down on us untill we have laws telling us how to wipe our asses to make sure we do it safely.

bling for this man, well put ;)

untill we have laws telling us how to wipe our asses to make sure we do it safely.

Oh man.

1. Don't use poison ivy
2. Bikers are not the only things that shit in the woods
3. Make sure you deodorise / open the window

:sherlock:

terbang
26th November 2005, 08:14
You think we have rules here eh..! Used to live in Switzerland and they have a rule there that if you live in an apartment then as a male you are not allowed to pi$$ standing up after 10 at night and before (?) in the morning because of the noise it makes..! At school they teach the boys to pi$$ sitting down.. :doh:

TLRulz
26th November 2005, 08:22
For me, understanding the way a road surface is tested actually makes me think I will use a bit more caution when I see Slippery signs. Quite often the signs are there but you can't see anything wrong with the road. In future I will use a bit more caution in these areas.

Jackrat
26th November 2005, 09:42
I'm a little sensitive when people swear at me, sorry.LOL.

Fair enough,won't happen again.:whistle:

Waylander
26th November 2005, 10:29
For me, understanding the way a road surface is tested actually makes me think I will use a bit more caution when I see Slippery signs. Quite often the signs are there but you can't see anything wrong with the road. In future I will use a bit more caution in these areas.

Fair enough. Same here actually, now that I know that they do test it rather than just put signs in likely places.

Wish they would remember to put signs for road works more often though.

bane
27th November 2005, 08:05
Oh man.

1. Don't use poison ivy
2. Bikers are not the only things that shit in the woods
3. Make sure you deodorise / open the window

:sherlock:

Weasel, I see you're "spankthemonkey" champion... why does that not surprise me :lol: