PDA

View Full Version : Imate & Windows OS phones

Sniper
24th November 2005, 09:46
Hey guys and gals.

Im looking for opinions on the I-mate phones (any type) and also on any other phone that uses a windows based OS. If you don't know what I mean, then I might be able to explain it to you once I figure out how to use mine.

Thanks

Colapop
24th November 2005, 09:49
me old, brain hurt, make picture, up to den, I don't know what it is.

ducatilover
24th November 2005, 10:01
thats pretty cool......better than my one week old t3g:mad:

bugjuice
24th November 2005, 10:02
anything related to windoze is baaaaaaaaaaad

Sniper
24th November 2005, 10:04
anything related to windoze is baaaaaaaaaaad

I think that about Macs

bugjuice
24th November 2005, 10:05
I think that about Macs
it's the fat in the burgers that's really bad, and their fries. I still haven't tried their salads, but I'm sure they aren't great either..

Sniper
24th November 2005, 10:06
it's the fat in the burgers that's really bad, and their fries. I still haven't tried their salads, but I'm sure they aren't great either..

Hahaha, ow you bastard, you made me fall off my chair. Hahaha :2thumbsup

Colapop
24th November 2005, 10:08
Fireball
Hush
Hey Joe
Mandrake Root - Deep Purple.

Rocking along in the background - F*ck I'm old, I'm suprised I can use the keyboard without worrying about that kinda blinged toy!!

ducatilover
24th November 2005, 10:09
Fireball
Hush
Hey Joe
Mandrake Root - Deep Purple.

Rocking along in the background - F*ck I'm old, I'm suprised I can use the keyboard without worrying about that kinda blinged toy!!
smoke on the water :not: :headbang:

Colapop
24th November 2005, 10:13
smoke on the water :not: :headbang:
Of course and Black Knight.

Not an attempted hijack just reading and listening to Deep Purple The Platinum Collection....:2thumbsup :banana: :yes:

Removed thought and posted as new thread - apologies

ducatilover
24th November 2005, 10:19
Of course and Black Knight.

Not an attempted hijack just reading and listening to Deep Purple The Platinum Collection....:2thumbsup :banana: :yes:
i have both those songs on my mixed disk of oldschool rock:banana: :2thumbsup

WRT
24th November 2005, 10:21
Sniper - the imates are pretty cheap and nasty. I've got a mate who's work was supposed to take over the repairs of them, but they proved to be too much of a nightmare so they gave up the contract. The phones kept on breaking down, and you will also find that the windows on them is prone to crashing - prob more to do with the hardware than the software, but still . . . damned annoying when your phone as well as your pc requires the three finger salute.

My mate actually used one for six months or so as his work phone, he had the one in the third picture. Lotsa cool features, but it just kept on dying. Now got a nokia instead, no more probs.

ManDownUnder
24th November 2005, 10:22
Meant to be ok, but the screens are fragile which means you lose IO ability ... rendering it less than highly useful.

I went for the Motorola V3 personally, but my needs were quite spoecific and it did everything I wanted.

Badcat
24th November 2005, 10:25
Hey guys and gals.

Im looking for opinions on the I-mate phones (any type) and also on any other phone that uses a windows based OS. If you don't know what I mean, then I might be able to explain it to you once I figure out how to use mine.

Thanks

i still have one - somewhere.
it's the one on the left hand side of your pic.
it failed the 15 minute test.
i couldn't understand it in 15 minutes - so it went back into it's box.
it's still there.
it was the WORST piece of H/H tech i've ever seen as a shipping unit.

Ken

bugjuice
24th November 2005, 10:30
The phones kept on breaking down, and you will also find that the windows on them is prone to crashing
whooda thunk?

Sniper
24th November 2005, 10:30
Thanks guys.

MDU, I have the V3 too. Its just not my kind of phone. I need something better. But I thought I might try an I mate first.

Biff
24th November 2005, 10:51
I avoid Windoze wherever possible these days. Both in work (especially for customers) and pleasure.

I've owned several Windoze CE based PDAs (yeah I didn't learn the first coupld of times) - They kept crashing. I'm now a Palm convert.

It sounds pretty much like its pretty much the same OS used by this phone. Shite.

I can't wait until the time (post wedding) I'm finally allowed to buy a Mac.

bugjuice
24th November 2005, 10:55
I avoid Windoze wherever possible these days. Both in work (especially for customers) and pleasure.

I've owned several Windoze CE based PDAs (yeah I didn't learn the first coupld of times) - They kept crashing. I'm now a Palm convert.

I can't wait until the time (post wedding) I'm finally allowed to buy a Mac.
so you're a palm user? after marriage, you'll be a palm pro! :tugger:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Anyway, good on ya for goin Apl Mac

Jonty
24th November 2005, 11:49
Sniper, have you had a look at the new apache (and no, not the weapon of fantastic destruction)? My old man bought one and he has some fat fingers:yes: As far as I am aware it is running fine for him and he can even manage to use the slide out key board. It is the first phone to use the new 5.1 OS or something.

John

Sniper
24th November 2005, 12:30
Sniper, have you had a look at the new apache (and no, not the weapon of fantastic destruction)? My old man bought one and he has some fat fingers:yes: As far as I am aware it is running fine for him and he can even manage to use the slide out key board. It is the first phone to use the new 5.1 OS or something.

John
I havent, but I may look at one tonight. Thanks

Keystone19
24th November 2005, 12:54
I have had an IPAQ, IMATE and now have a Treo. As far as reliability goes the Treo is actually the most reliable but that could be because it doesn't have as many features.

I used the stylus and on screen writing capability all the time on both the imate and ipaq. Both phones recognised my writing quickly and would then recognise the text and download to my desk top with ease. Great feature. The new apache doesn't have that feature.

Found the synchronisation systems on both the imate and ipaq better than the treo palm based system. My treo is a much simpler version of either though and I don't like it as much 'cause it doesn't have anywhere near the same features as the other two.

reason I got the Treo was 'cause I kept dropping the IPaq and imate and eventually destroyed the motherboard on the imate with one drop. For some reason the Treo seems to be sturdier.

By choice i would stick to a vodafone though because at least you can then save your address book to the sim card and when your phone does need to be repaired you can just borrow someone elses phone...

Hey guys and gals.

Thanks

I'd considered getting one of those, and some bluetooth connectivity to my PC.

You can get Skype installed on those little jobbers so that when you're within reception range of your PC it turns into a VoIP phone so you don't pay any charges for calling other Skype users.

Just another thing I'd buy if I had any money. :doh:

MOTOXXX
24th November 2005, 16:08
it'll be a cold day in hell before i use a cell phone with windows.

Huntaway
24th November 2005, 17:20
I'm with bugjuice. Have a Mac at home and a Treo. Administer a Micro$oft Windoze network at work and we run iPAQ handhelds - not with cellphone though. I can't understand why people put up with so much crap from Micro$oft. The iPAQ is a great little unit and the transcriber text recognition is great, but some features of the Outlook calendar are really rough and Micro$oft don't seem interested to fix them. The Treo seems to work more the way you would expect a PDA cellphone to (though to be fair I did have to install third party software to add features like decent text recognition, picture download capability and synchronization with my Mac). The range is good and the battery seems to last way longer than the iPAQ. And for you Windoze guys, I just took Virus protection off my aging Mac to speed it up. Don't need it. Have only intercepted one Micro$oft macro virus in all the years I've been running a Mac. Long may it last...