PDA

View Full Version : Pre Ride Stretch

bluninja
11th February 2003, 11:15
Nukles, posted in another thread about not being able to do pre-ride stretches. SO it made me think (really :D ) do other riders go through a pre ride stretch. If so what stretches do you do ?

I know after a few hours I need to stretch when I get off, but I normally only warm up and stretch before a race.

So what do you do and when ?

Gixxer
11th February 2003, 11:31
Only when I feel stiff, shoulders and back.
arms across chest, shoulder blade stretches, torso stretchs, click the old neck in, that sort of stuff. getting older now, so may have to stretch more.

SPman
11th February 2003, 21:55
Normally only post ride stretches - like gas stops going up or down country . Mind you, now youve brought up the topic, I'll have to check to see if I do do pre-ride stretches.

bluninja
12th February 2003, 10:22
Normally I stretch my neck, backs of shoulders, lower back, hamstrings and quads. Apart from making sure I bend in the right places, it also ensures that I'm not going to pop my leathers when I get on the bike:rolleyes:

I also stretch my legs off the pegs every 30 minutes or so. Nothing worse than riding for hours, coming to a stop, only to find your leg won't move off the peg and you fall over. Never done this myself, but had the bike starting to fall before I got my foot down a few times.

TTFN

SpankMe
12th February 2003, 11:49
Never even heard of stretching before riding :confused: Sometimes see guys stick their legs out while on a long ride. Always wondered what they were doing :)

bikerboy
12th February 2003, 14:35
Must be one of those age related non ducati riding things.:D

You need a more comfortable bike, bluninja!

Now if you'll excuse me I feel a nap coming on.:bigthumb:

p0stal
12th February 2003, 15:49
Can't say I've ever thought about it before now, really. It'd make sense if you were planning on riding energetically, or after a long ride, but I can't see the point in stretching before every ride...

wkid_one
12th February 2003, 17:08
Never do stretches off the bike - but do warm in to the ride, not just tires but mentally work myself up to full noise......I spend too much time at the gym and still forget to do my stretches there - let alone the bike

I find you are not limited by physical strength or suppleness on a bike - but concentration.

I have not fallen off because I forgot to do my stretches or didn't lift that extra rep at the gym - I have fallen off because I zoned out tho...

liferocks
10th September 2004, 14:34
I've got a mate who does crazy stretches while riding, legs going all over the place. Its scary riding behind him.

dhunt
10th September 2004, 14:51
Nukles, posted in another thread about not being able to do pre-ride stretches. SO it made me think (really :D ) do other riders go through a pre ride stretch. If so what stretches do you do ?

I know after a few hours I need to stretch when I get off, but I normally only warm up and stretch before a race.

So what do you do and when ?
I go through a pre bike ride stretch. I've got to stretch my leg over the seat then I've got stretch my leg to get off again. Now scooters on the other hand don't have to stretch at all.

Blakamin
10th September 2004, 14:56
My stretching consists of putting all my bloody gear on, specially if i'm running late for work (hate being the one with the key) and then the same as dhunt.

Motu
10th September 2004, 15:18
In...out...in...out - vary the speed,I find it very satisfying.

vifferman
10th September 2004, 16:04
Just what are you stretching though, Motu? ;)

If this is related to the misinformation that stretching tendons/muscles before vigorous exercise helps prevent damage, it's bunkum. I wish I'd kept a copy of the article that debunked this myth so I could refer to it now, but anyway, apparently "they" say (y'know - "them") that "research proves" that pre-exercise stretching makes no measurable difference to injury rates.
I think that people just do it to make themselves look professional...

And there you go - I wasted my one thouthandth post (how do I lithp post? Potht?) on something mundane and relatively unimportant. Just like 994.5 of my other posts...:doh:

What do I do now, now that I've achieved such heights, depths and breadths of ... of... time-wasting? {sigh} I'm now officially a professional time-waster and forum contributor.:Oops:

gav
10th September 2004, 16:19
I crouch down in a little ball and tug on my footpeg, then i pull my wedgie out of my arse on the start line.
Love
Dr Vale Rossifumi

Hoon
10th September 2004, 17:54
If this is related to the misinformation that stretching tendons/muscles before vigorous exercise helps prevent damage, it's bunkum. I wish I'd kept a copy of the article that debunked this myth so I could refer to it now, but anyway, apparently "they" say (y'know - "them") that "research proves" that pre-exercise stretching makes no measurable difference to injury rates.

Yeah well for every article that says this, you will probably find another 20 that say otherwise. Plus it'd take more than some article to convince me to run out onto a rugby field without stretching - thats just asking for it.

I always try to stretch my legs (quads and hamstrings) before each session when I race or do track days. I find after a hard day on the track my outside quads get real sore from hanging off and throwing myself from side to side so stretching sort of reduces this.

I don't get as sore on the ZXR as I did on the RGV so I guess its more of a "height vs bike size vs peg position" thing.

FzerozeroT
10th September 2004, 20:28
I'm a consummate stretcher, a rea pain in the ass to go to the movies with cause i stretch my neck every 10 minutes.

Mongoose
10th September 2004, 21:07
Pre-ride stretch usaually consists of bending over to tie the boots up, some mornings it feels like a long way to go to stand up again.
Specially in winter, by the time I gets all me gears on there is a slightly restictive feeling and all the drafty places leak too much after too much movement.

Blakamin
10th September 2004, 21:48
Pre-ride stretch usaually consists of bending over to tie the boots up, some mornings it feels like a long way to go to stand up again.
Specially in winter, by the time I gets all me gears on there is a slightly restictive feeling and all the drafty places leak too much after too much movement.

You need slip-on boots. thats what i run...then the hardest part is gettin the leg over the bike...and shutting the garage!

Mongoose
10th September 2004, 21:55
You need slip-on boots. thats what i run...then the hardest part is gettin the leg over the bike...and shutting the garage!

Good idea, used to have them but now get supplied with good sturdy mid-calf boots for free. Down side is the quadzillion eyelets to do. Must get the outfit to supply the quick-zip up laces.

カワサキキド
12th September 2004, 00:01
You need to add one more option to the poll... at traffic lights.

Bob
12th September 2004, 01:00
I don't really go through a stretching routine (as a lot of other people have said, pulling on all the gear gets me to stretch quite a bit!), but what I always do before I set off is sit astride the bike, take a couple of deep breaths and compose myself before I set off.

I find it just helps to clear my mind and focus on what I am about to do.

When I'm riding I'll have a stretch though - nothing major, just making sure my back stays supple, shoulders relaxed and when I come to a stop, I'll normally try to stretch my legs a bit.

NC
29th September 2004, 09:30
I crouch down in a little ball and tug on my footpeg, then i pull my wedgie out of my arse on the start line.
Love
Dr Vale Rossifumi

Do you dig deap? or pull it out from the top?

bluninja
29th September 2004, 10:36
You need to add one more option to the poll... at traffic lights. I thought it was only cars that stopped at traffic lights?

zadok
5th July 2005, 23:57
Can't say I've ever thought about it before now, really. It'd make sense if you were planning on riding energetically, or after a long ride, but I can't see the point in stretching before every ride...
Ditto. Only if I feel I need it.

Lou Girardin
6th July 2005, 10:37
I usually do 1/2 hour of yoga, followed by 1/2 hour of pilates. Then a protein shake for energy. :not:

Big Dave
6th July 2005, 11:49
I usually do 1/2 hour of yoga, followed by 1/2 hour of pilates. Then a protein shake for energy. :not:

I scratch me nuts, adjust the undercarriage and sometimes a good fart before lifting the leg saves embarassment.

I stretch thoroughly before a game of basketball. Never considered it for the rigors of wrist action.

Lou Girardin
6th July 2005, 12:19
Then there's the joy of getting your knob pinched by your riding pants while riding. It's damn near impossible to carry out adjustments on the move.

quietguy
10th July 2005, 01:27
where theres a will theres a way. And if its really painful(as it often is) suddenly you find yourself VERY willing !! :whistle:

parsley
10th July 2005, 01:43
Sometimes see guys stick their legs out while on a long ride. Always wondered what they were doing :)
Oh, I do that. I fucked up my knees and hip flipping over the front of a car when I was 19 (brakes on East German bikes aren't what they should be). Sitting in the same posture for more than half an hour or so can get a bit painful. :argh: