PDA

View Full Version : Converting Kick-Start to Electric Start

beanz
27th February 2004, 10:52
I've got a RG150E, with an annoying kickstart starter thingy. Has anyone ever tried to convert this to an electric start mechanism?

FzerozeroT
4th March 2004, 10:43
it would cost a couple of hundy and increase the weight of a bike which is designed to be light as poss so instead most people just inject steroids into the quad and calf muscles to make it easier, try les mills.

MikeL
4th March 2004, 12:07
Personally I quite liked the kick start on my RGV150. Took me back to my teenage years...
The only times it was a bit inconvenient was when I stalled at the lights in front of a queue of cars. Since that only happened 2 or 3 times a day, it wasn't such a problem...

beanz
4th March 2004, 15:15
Yeah, I'm not liking the stalling bit... will have to get an L-Plate, so Auckland drivers cut me a bit of slack.

Seeing I'm learning to ride, it kinda frustrating to stall, be in gear, clutch in, kick start, throttle-on to keep revs up, then instinctivly rip left hand off clutch to fold up kick-start lever... resulting in an embarrassing 2nd stall.

I'll get the hang of it eventually :bash:

White trash
4th March 2004, 15:30
I've got a RG150E, with an annoying kickstart starter thingy. Has anyone ever tried to convert this to an electric start mechanism?

No. No. No.

For the price of getting an electric leg built specially (unless you own a machining shop) you could have bought a nice 70 deg, ram air electric start RGV250.

Nouseforaname
4th March 2004, 17:25
[QUOTE=beanz]Yeah, I'm not liking the stalling bit... will have to get an L-Plate, so Auckland drivers cut me a bit of slack.

QUOTE]

Dont do that, they'll be even more ruthless towards you.

Two Smoker
4th March 2004, 17:34
Just keep the revs at around 4-6 grand for take offs and you will be sweet, If you want a really fast take off dial in about 10-11 grand and slip the clutch, if you pop the clutch too soon then you will pop the wheel and hav a slow take off.

Lesson to be learned, gain better clutch control and u dont need to keep kicking it:2thumbsup

If you want a little bit extra power and noise, rip out the baffling, mines a loud bitch because of that, just ask KK or Milky lol.

Just a question for others? Would it be ok if i changed my rear tyre size to a 120/80 in stead a 110/80? Because if it is I can use a BT39SS front and rear. They dont make the BT39SS in 110/80:sneaky2: Otherwise i will have to use MT75's

Beanz, what tyres do you have on your bike?

Dont get a L-plate, i think a $400 fine is better to get rather than be a target for cars, also the likelyhood of you getting a $400 fine is very small if you aren't doing anything stupid:rockon:

FzerozeroT
4th March 2004, 19:20
in gear, clutch in, kick start, throttle-on to keep revs up, then instinctivly rip left hand off clutch to fold up kick-start lever... resulting in an embarrassing 2nd stall

use your knee

beanz
5th March 2004, 08:44
Ahhh, I was trying to maintain even revs as it took off, rather than reving up, then letting out the clutch. It would sound a bit "learnier", the Rrrrrr... before taking off, but yep, would fix the prob.

My tyres are Front: 90-90-17, Rear 120-80-17. So yeah, I guess you can jump up a size.

My tyres are pretty worn. How much would it cost for a new set?

Something else thats pissing me off a bit, is starting up cold. It takes a good 30-40 kicks to get things cranking, and while this may be good for a thigh workout, its not much good for the soles of my shoes. Any ideas why this is happening? I don't turn the fuel knob to OFF every night, if that has something to do with it.

I was thinking it might be the spark plug...

Cheers for that tip FzerozeroT! Will try it next time.

Two Smoker
5th March 2004, 16:08
Ahhh, I was trying to maintain even revs as it took off, rather than reving up, then letting out the clutch. It would sound a bit "learnier", the Rrrrrr... before taking off, but yep, would fix the prob.

My tyres are Front: 90-90-17, Rear 120-80-17. So yeah, I guess you can jump up a size.

Cheers Beanz:niceone: . With the starting problem ill give you the list of possible problems.

It will most likely be either:

-Your spark Plug
-Defective Ignition Coil (look for rusting at the earth points)

But are you using your Choke?
And when you kick it, does it fire a bit or no firing at all?

Tyres are about $300 for front and rear, Look at either Bridgestone BT39SS or Pirelli MT75's

Ms Piggy
5th March 2004, 16:23
Yeah, I'm not liking the stalling bit... will have to get an L-Plate, so Auckland drivers cut me a bit of slack.

Seeing I'm learning to ride, it kinda frustrating to stall, be in gear, clutch in, kick start, throttle-on to keep revs up, then instinctivly rip left hand off clutch to fold up kick-start lever... resulting in an embarrassing 2nd stall.

I'll get the hang of it eventually :bash:

I think the L plate makes cage drivers meaner!

I'm just learning too and when I first started riding used to try & get my clutch allllll the way out before taking off and it meant I stalled quite a bit.

All ya can do is practise, practise & practise. I used to do lots of stopping & taking off in a safe place where I could stall & not have to panic.

Have fun!! :niceone:

beanz
5th March 2004, 16:24
$300!! Agghhh! There must be something cheaper... or is it like helmets: buy as expensive tyres as you can afford.

Yep, I'm using the choke. It just doesn't fire. It kinda thinks about it, for the first kick, but then absolutely nothing. I end up getting off, kicking it, then pushing it along in gear, and drop clutch. Heaps easier than kick starting it, and more effective than kicking it. Then when it does fire, it splutters for a bit, blows a good cloud of smoke if reved up. When I ride off, it miss-fires for a few secs, then gets up a boogies. From than on, its absolutley fine. No smoke, starts straight away, and has good power (well, as much as you can ask from a 150)

I think I'll systematically clean everything out, most importantly the carb. A mate reckons the float valve dies, and it floods itself when sitting off. He also said an old bike of his leak oil from the 2-stroke oiler mechanism, which may explain the smoke.

Yep, spark plug is another thing I'll change.

Cheers for your help/ideas.

beanz
5th March 2004, 16:27
I think the L plate makes cage drivers meaner!

I'm just learning too and when I first started riding used to try & get my clutch allllll the way out before taking off and it meant I stalled quite a bit.

All ya can do is practise, practise & practise. I used to do lots of stopping & taking off in a safe place where I could stall & not have to panic.

Have fun!! :niceone:

Yeah, since I posted that, I've practiced, practiced, and today I had a good blat round Ellerslie and even gave Panmure roundabout a go. No stalling! I think the clutch is a particularly bitchy one, but I end up getting the hang of it.

OK, the L-plate will stay off. Bit freaked by the $400 fine tho.

Ms Piggy
5th March 2004, 21:12
Yeah, since I posted that, I've practiced, practiced, and today I had a good blat round Ellerslie and even gave Panmure roundabout a go. No stalling! I think the clutch is a particularly bitchy one, but I end up getting the hang of it.

:2thumbsup Sweet! Good job mate!

As far as the L plate goes mine blew off (no really it did!) and I have been meaning to put it back on, some riders say keep it off and others reckon it's not worth the fine risk. I'm gonna put mone back on (when I remember) b/c I really don't want the fine either - not too good on a student budget! :shit:

:ride:

Two Smoker
5th March 2004, 21:15

DOn't worry about the fine, as long as you don't do anything stupid you will be fine. The RG150 is as quick or quicker than most 4 stroke 250's (waits in anticipation for the comments...... lol) so its definately got the HP (about 30 odd) and i have wound mine up to 180kmh in 6th at 13000rpm.

GET GOOD TYRES!!!!!!!! Bikes depend on their tyres one hell of alot, use the 2 tyres i recommended and the $300 is for both not one. Try the carb, but i think it will be the spark plug or preignition (for the preignition just spray a bit of CRC on the contacts that hit the frame;) ) Its a two stroke and is goin to smoke heaps upon starting, dont worry about that, only worry when it smokes bad while hot. How many k's has it done?

beanz
6th March 2004, 08:21
Its done 48000ks