PDA

View Full Version : Kapiti coast highway cycle graters to be extended

DogBreath
24th November 2005, 23:26
I hear on the news today the section of cycle graters (wire median barrier) on the Kapiti coast is to be extended another 3.8km, all for a mere $15m.
I am not too keen on the idea of going for a skate into that shit, you fellas better be careful down there

flyingscotsman
25th November 2005, 05:54
The speed limit along that stretch of road is 80k but you're lucky if we hit that on a good day. It's murder on Friday night & holiday weekends when you can probably walk faster than the traffic. Thank God for two wheels - up the outside - bye, bye suckers !!!! Anyway, everyone says it's a killer road - bullshit it's the crap drivers that give it the statistics - be interested to know how many bike riders figure in the stats.

F5 Dave
25th November 2005, 08:38
Well if they keep the cars on the right side of the road it will be safer for bikes

Sketchy_Racer
25th November 2005, 08:44
The speed limit along that stretch of road is 80k but you're lucky if we hit that on a good day. It's murder on Friday night & holiday weekends when you can probably walk faster than the traffic. Thank God for two wheels - up the outside - bye, bye suckers !!!! Anyway, everyone says it's a killer road - bullshit it's the crap drivers that give it the statistics - be interested to know how many bike riders figure in the stats.

yea its those dumb lazy arse cage drivers that keep falling asleep while driving their mobile lazy boys - slack bastards:bash:

Slingshot
25th November 2005, 09:25
Well if they keep the cars on the right side of the road it will be safer for bikes

I agree...yes they would hurt if you hit a wire rope barrier but it would hurt even more if you were collected head-on by a car.

And now for pages of ranting about how nobody cares about the saftey of bikers.

DogBreath
26th November 2005, 00:57
I agree...yes they would hurt if you hit a wire rope barrier but it would hurt even more if you were collected head-on by a car.

And now for pages of ranting about how nobody cares about the saftey of bikers.

Not so sure about that, check out the research at http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-01/esv/esv19/05-0095-O.pdf

Here they reckon the wire barrier is guaranteed to cause limb breakages at average speeds, after which the rider is flipped over the barrier into the oncoming traffic, nice eh?
This document is worth a read, if the link doesn't work let me know and I'll attach the pdf.

Slingshot
26th November 2005, 09:13
Not so sure about that, check out the research at http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-01/esv/esv19/05-0095-O.pdf

Here they reckon the wire barrier is guaranteed to cause limb breakages at average speeds, after which the rider is flipped over the barrier into the oncoming traffic, nice eh?
This document is worth a read, if the link doesn't work let me know and I'll attach the pdf.

Excellent, finally there is some actual research posted on the subject, thanks. I'll have a read through and I'll let you know if my opinion changes.

Swoop
26th November 2005, 20:22
Being a metal barrier on a road that is extremely close to salt air and sea spray, I wonder if they have researched the effects of these on the metal wire used??? That would be even more pleasant being sliced open with a rusty wire...:thud:

skidz
27th November 2005, 03:00
Anything that keeps oncoming traffic on thier side is a good thing!!

DogBreath
27th November 2005, 07:01
Anything that keeps oncoming traffic on thier side is a good thing!!
I'm not denying that, but I think there is a better way of building a median barrier than wire. The cheapest option isn't always the best, and in this case $15,000,000 for less than 4kms of fence is pretty bloody expensive anyway.
The research suggests extra horizontal rails on steel barriers stops cars, trucks and cycles from crossing the centre line, and the cyclist is less likely to suffer serious injury after striking a steel barrier.
I would like to see LTNZ look at the other options, not just pick the cheapest.
We have a long length of wire up here in the Waikato, and it gives me the shits just driving passed it, let alone riding.
That and half of it has been down for "service" for a couple of months, which meant huge queues at 50k while traffic was routed around it. From that I guess it is a little more complicated to install than just bunging in a few posts and stringing some wires.
I would like to see a comparitive cost for steel barriers.
Not that I would really enjoy hitting either!

sedge
27th November 2005, 09:24
I'm not denying that, but I think there is a better way of building a median barrier than wire.

The problem with the coast Rd is that it's a single lane with no run off area... concrete wall on one side, hillside the other. The barrier needs to be removeable so they can get emergency vehicles in and out if there is an accident. I don't mind it so much now that I've got to know it... If traffic is moving at the speed limit then there isn't much of it (traffic) so accidents are rare. If there is a lot of traffic it's generally stopped and I can usually ride between it and the barrier.

Ah... The coast Rd... Now the 4 lanes are open in Mana it backs up all the way to the swamp on Fridays.

Love the roading engineers... I've got a great idea... Bottleneck the traffic at Mackays, Paekak and the coast Rd putting in new medians, then open up the flow at Mana and we'll have a laugh eh ? Oh yeah, drop the speed limit on the Paekak hill too, heh heh. Should be able to get the queue all the way back to Porirua again.

Sedge.

WINJA
27th November 2005, 10:08
IM GLAD THESE CYCLE GRATERS ARE BEING EXTENDED , THE WAY I SEE IT IF I HIT ONE ITS CAUSE I FUCKED UP OR WAS BEING SILLY AND THATS MY FAULT. IF ARE CAR HITS IT INSTEAD OF HITTING ME IM SWEET . I KNOW THERE NOT THE SAFEST BUT IF TRANSIT DOES NOTHING THATS WORSE.
TRANSIT ARE TRYING TO STRETCH THERE DOLLAR AS FAR AS POSSIBLE AND PROTECT AS MANY KM OF HIGHWAY AS THEY CAN , GOOD ON THEM

Beemer
27th November 2005, 10:49
I find it hard to believe it can cost $15 million - someone must be raking in the dough somewhere along the line. I suppose that is for consultants, roading engineers, workers, stop-go men, traffic lights while the work is being done, perks for the boys, etc.

The thing I always worry about when travelling along that road is the likelihood of coming around a blind corner and finding an accident ahead - where the hell can you go, and what is going to stop all the traffic behind from smashing into you? At least before you had the ability to turn around and head back the other way, but now you are stuck there until it's cleared - and we all know how long fatal accidents take to clear. I feel sorry for the truckies who would get caught up for hours - and what if there was an ambulance in the middle of the queue with a seriously ill patient?

What?
28th November 2005, 05:16
Seems that no-one here likes the wire rope barriers. So who has written to Transit about it? A few thousand leters (copied to MP's) might make a difference. maybe.

Ixion
28th November 2005, 08:48
I wrote to them, and 'phoned a senior turkey. No use, they didn't give a stuff, didn't want to hear any argument.

DogBreath
28th November 2005, 22:25
Seems that no-one here likes the wire rope barriers. So who has written to Transit about it? A few thousand leters (copied to MP's) might make a difference. maybe.
I heard all this on a radio interview on RadioNZ last Friday. The guy from LTSA or whatever they call themselves now was Graham Taylor.
I'll do a little chase up on him tomorrow and see what he thinks of an approach regarding alternative barrier designs.
Don't get me wrong, I am all in favour of median barriers. I drive a car too, and am very happy to see the contraflow on the other side of a fence.

Zapf
28th November 2005, 23:05
can always turn up one night and cut the cables....

and repeat every so often... :nono: (just in my dream)

Lou Girardin
29th November 2005, 08:53
IM GLAD THESE CYCLE GRATERS ARE BEING EXTENDED , THE WAY I SEE IT IF I HIT ONE ITS CAUSE I FUCKED UP OR WAS BEING SILLY

Unless you're tail-ended by a car, or a cage tries to go through on your left, or there's a diesel spill, or a tyre blows out, or......................................

BTW another stupid thing I noticed along here is that Transhit NZ have put reflector posts in the middle of the stopping bays. So that slow traffic can't pull over if they wanted to.

DogBreath
1st December 2005, 11:18
I find it hard to believe it can cost $15 million -
Article referred to here, yep, a 1 and a 5 followed by 6 zeros
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/media/2005/051124.html

DogBreath
5th January 2006, 10:09
Now the AA want to use concrete barriers instead of wire rope, I do hope they succeed, at least they are thinking of the end result, not just the cost.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/9/story.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10362248

DogBreath
5th January 2006, 10:11
I heard all this on a radio interview on RadioNZ last Friday. The guy from LTSA or whatever they call themselves now was Graham Taylor.
I'll do a little chase up on him tomorrow and see what he thinks of an approach regarding alternative barrier designs.
Don't get me wrong, I am all in favour of median barriers. I drive a car too, and am very happy to see the contraflow on the other side of a fence.

I have emailed these guys, and got an automated response they would get back to me in 10 days.
Times up, but I guess they have holidays too, still waiting...

number33
5th January 2006, 11:22
Wasting your time dealing with LTSA as the whole contemptable outfit of rats is stacked with phoney P.C. buck-passing toadies. The head honcho there is a dodging slippery mealy-mouthed wanker. Try talking to any of these slimy toads on the phone - you'll receive nothing but a whole load of sewerage. The whole fucken outfit needs hauling over the coals, and every bastard who works there should be copping heavy jail sentences for all their years of lying and deception.

DogBreath
5th January 2006, 15:19
Wasting your time dealing with LTSA as the whole contemptable outfit of rats is stacked with phoney P.C. buck-passing toadies. The head honcho there is a dodging slippery mealy-mouthed wanker. Try talking to any of these slimy toads on the phone - you'll receive nothing but a whole load of sewerage. The whole fucken outfit needs hauling over the coals, and every bastard who works there should be copping heavy jail sentences for all their years of lying and deception.
Mmmmm, some history there perhaps? Methinks, over a beer, you might have an interesting yarn or two.
The reason I'm trying to talk to them is if I don't try I can't slag 'em. They get one chance...same as everyone else. I'll chase them up next week.